Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Creativity Corner » Fiction Discussion

What's the best book you have ever read?

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm
Katnes says...

I've read so many books (Dad says I have read more books then he has in his whole life and he reads ALOT) I really can't decide.
I liked Warriors when I was younger (I still keep my out for Erin Hunters next books) But they've faded into the past. Know? I guess I'd say the best book I have ever read was Tears of a Dragon.
Once you were nothing, you were not born. Then you became something-A miracle. We are all nothing more nothing less then that.
Katness Warrior

1183 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1183
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:06 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Yeah, I used to read a lot too, but I haven't been reading as much lately. I have some trouble picking a favorite, and I'd also say there's a distinction between "books I enjoy reading" and "books that are actually good". For example, books I read for school were often examples of good/great literature, but I still hated reading them. There's also plenty of books I enjoyed, but wouldn't consider anywhere near the pantheon of great books.

That said, here's a short list of books I love
American Gods-Neil Gaiman-I've re-read this a couple times, and I get something different out of it each time. I wanted to re-read it before the next season of the show comes out, but I think that's in March and idk if I'll have time. Fair warning: this is a very 18+ book with sex and violence and all that good stuff, so I would not recommend it for younger readers.

Good Omens-Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
A hysterical book about the end of the world. Funny but also makes you think at times. This is also going to be a TV show and I am so excited.

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making-Cathrynn Valente (and the rest of the Fairyland series).
@BlueAfrica recommended this book to me last year, and it's honestly the first thing I read in years that's challenged the two-way tie of American Gods and Good Omens. It's a children's book, but I feel like the prose and narration has more meaning for an older reader, though the story itself is enjoyable for any age. Literally the only thing I dislike about it is the long name :P.

The Abhorsen series-Garth Nix
Garth Nix was one of my favorite authors as a teen, and it held up well in a recent re-reading after I discovered there were new books (a prequel of sorts and a sequel) to the original trilogy. I love the richness of the world and it has some great female characters. Don't ask me why I haven't gotten around to reading the fifth book yet.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:34 am
Katnes says...

Interesting. I kind of had this mind set every teenager loved Harry Potter, or Twilight, or Hunger Games. Whatever. Maybe they hate them. Why did you love the Neil Gaiman book?
Once you were nothing, you were not born. Then you became something-A miracle. We are all nothing more nothing less then that.
Katness Warrior

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god -- the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!
— William Shakespeare