Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Creativity Corner » Fiction Discussion

Do you prefer past or present tense?

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:30 pm
ChiravianSkies says...

I really like past tense for anything that I write in third person, which is like 99% of the stuff I do. It's so engrained that if I ever see something written in third-person present tense, then my mind automatically switches it to past-tense. :P
If I ever do something in first-person, it will [i]always[i/] be in present tense, though. I'd much prefer to write in past-tense, but for some reason if I attempt first-person past-tense, then I just end up jumping between tenses so much, so I just end up going with present. It's more consistent lol

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 am
Horisun says...

I use present tense. I don't know why but it's the default way I start writing.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:44 pm
Katnes says...

For me. that depends. I tend to write in past tense. It's the easiest one to write in. I also like writing in future tense. (You all haven't seen me write in that one yet) I tend to avoid present tense. It doesn't sound quite as good. But perspective? I adore first person prospective. It automatically fixes the problem of you the writer narrating the story. And it really personalizes things. Then again. Third person is the easiest one to write in. So I'd recommend writing in third person prospective and past tense. I do.
Once you were nothing, you were not born. Then you became something-A miracle. We are all nothing more nothing less then that.
Katness Warrior

Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
— Chinese proverb