because you never gave me,
neither unfilled hope,
neither unfair work,
neither undeserved pain.

Because I see at the end
of my rough way
that I was my own destiny's architect:

If I got the sweet or the sour of situations,
was because I put bitter or sweet honey in them.

When I planted rose seeds,
I always harvested roses.
Certainly, after my Fall,
Winter is going to follow,
but you never told me
that May will be eternal!

No question, I found
long my blue nights,
but you never promised me
only good nights,
but I had few serene ones.

I loved,
I was loved,
the Sun caressed my face.
Life, you owe me nothing!
Life, we are at peace!

Amado Nervo

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:28 pm
Leja says...

When posting something by another author, you should clearly state before the poem so that people don't get confused and critique it. For anyone who's interested, here's a link to Encyclopedia.com's article about the author, Amado Nervo: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-Nervo-Am.html

I'm not sure why it's in Writing Activities, as there wasn't an activity that went along with it? So I think I shall move it to... Poetry Discussion.

And... my thoughts. Because I feel like sharing my two cents ^_^:
I don't like this style of poetry too much. I think because once you read through the first time, I don't know if there's anything more it can do. I just feel that when people write about nature, they use alot of wasted words.

Hmm, so if arturo.delamora doesn't mind, I think I'll hijack this thread (though itf you do mind, I'll edit my post, or something)... and open a discussion as to what everyone else thinks: is Amelia talking like a bag of wind again, or is there something here that I'm not seeing?

Reviews: 2
Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:43 pm
arturo.delamora says...

The original poem was one of my favorites in spanish, so I it was a challenge to translate it... and it was fun! My daughters were able to understand it :)

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:04 am
alleycat13 says...

Hmm, I'm not an administer or anything but I think this should be put in the Other Poetry forum.

As to the poem, I like. It's very calm and introspective.

No question, I found
long my blue nights,
but you never promised me

I don't quite understand what this part is supposed to mean. I think something must have been lost in translation. I'd look over that again.

I like it.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly