Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Creativity Corner » Poetry Discussion

Poetry Book / Poet Recommendations

901 Reviews

Reviews: 901
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:56 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

I always think that the suggestion, "to write good poetry, one needs to read good poetry" is pretty valid advice - I don't have a lot of folks in real life that I'd ask for poetry book recommendations, mostly because not a lot of my friends read poetry in the first place - so what are y'all reading out there?

Any favorite poetry books? Do you like the classics or more modern ones?

Feel free to add your recommendations to this thread of poetry books / collections / poets that you think are worth reading for your fellow poets out there.
but i don't think i can ever love someone
who doesn't understand that teal
is a different color than dark cyan.

248 Reviews

Reviews: 248
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:26 am
View Likes
silented1 says...

Empty bottles full of stories. Robert m. drake and r.h.sin
[quote]If it's arguable, then it probably is." - Xeriana X

Link to my will review for food thread: topic71713.html

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:07 am
View Likes
paperforest says...

I have sadly not picked up a poetry book in a while, but I keep hearing good things about Anne Carson, and I'm planning to eventually read her translation of fragments of Sappho, titled If Not, Winter, which looks very good.

901 Reviews

Reviews: 901
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:45 pm
alliyah says...

Thanks for adding to the thread!

@paperforest I read and studied some of Sappho's poetry fragments in my Greek class last year - we read a lot of Greek poetry, so Anne Carson's book is definitely on my list to read too.

Poets I like to read are Robert Frost, Don Marquis, Pablo Neruda, Mary Oliver, & Madeleine L'Engle.

More modern poetry books I've enjoyed are "Blood Eagle" by Adam Crittenden and "Housefire Ellegies" by Keith Montesano - both I'd describe as tense, ominous, raw, and at times uncomfortable.

Also recently read all of "milk and honey" by rupi kaur and I thought it was a quick read, but enjoyable.
but i don't think i can ever love someone
who doesn't understand that teal
is a different color than dark cyan.

283 Reviews

Reviews: 283
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:37 pm
View Likes
Dossereana says...

when I was a bit younger I read Dr. Seuss's Terrific Tales, that was full of riming things like poetry. But then there was another one that I cannot even remember and at the same time I don't think we have it any more.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:24 pm
Traves says...

I liked the concept of the poetry pharmacy ( https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/ ... y-pharmacy )

The author prescribes appropriate poems from various poets for mental "ailments" and conditions like anger, depression etc.
Easy to read too.
I'm reading pale fire and idk whether it's a poetry book but pretty good nonetheless.
Has anyone read Song of Myself?

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical