z

Young Writers Society

Rhythm In Poetry? Help?

Reviews: 1
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:21 pm
inkdreams says...

I wrote a poem then I read it out loud. I realized it doesn't have any rhythm.
How to create rhythm in poems? Any tips or advice? I'm a beginner >_<

Sent from my LM-X220PM using Tapatalk

286 Reviews

Reviews: 286
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:27 pm
silented1 says...

Rhythm is hard to teach because it's felt in the sentences. A tip is that informational parts of words tend to be stressed so like: Importantly is a word where it can be divided into two parts, important and ly. It would be stressed, unstressed, stressed, stressed.
The ly is stressed because it changes the word. Think of the sounds the words are making and try to put them in an order.

You could also try to read it differently, and put stresses elsewhere. Look up the book the sounds of poetry by robert pinsky. It will help you with meter a lot too.
[quote]If it's arguable, then it probably is." - Xeriana X

Link to my will review for food thread: topic71713.html

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:31 pm
View Likes
inkdreams says...

silented1 wrote:Rhythm is hard to teach because it's felt in the sentences. A tip is that informational parts of words tend to be stressed so like: Importantly is a word where it can be divided into two parts, important and ly. It would be stressed, unstressed, stressed, stressed.
The ly is stressed because it changes the word. Think of the sounds the words are making and try to put them in an order.

You could also try to read it differently, and put stresses elsewhere. Look up the book the sounds of poetry by robert pinsky. It will help you with meter a lot too.
Thanks this is helpful! I will check out that book too. :)

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:49 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Hi, inkdreams!

You can also create rhythm through syllable counts. To reference silented1's example, 'importantly' has four syllables in Standard English: IM-POR-TANT-LY. Some traditional poetic forms, such as the haiku, create rhythm by using a pattern of syllable counts, for example 5-7-5.

If I were to write a haiku with 'importantly' for instance, using dashes to separate the syllables for you to see . . .

The great sun-flow-er
rear-ing up im-por-tant-ly
sa-lu-ted the sun.

You can also add rhythm by repeating the same syllable count in each line, for instance, 10-10-10.

Other poetic forms (usually Western ones) will incorporate stressed and unstressed syllables along with the syllable counts. For example, Shakespearean sonnets use iambic pentameter:

"I grant I never saw a goddess go" (Sonnet 130)

Each set of two syllables ("I grant") has an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed one. This creates a very weighty, formal tone for the poem.

You can find more info in the 'meter' section of this website:
https://poets.org/text/poetry-glossary

Hope this helps!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:10 pm
inkdreams says...

Liminality wrote:Hi, inkdreams!

You can also create rhythm through syllable counts. To reference silented1's example, 'importantly' has four syllables in Standard English: IM-POR-TANT-LY. Some traditional poetic forms, such as the haiku, create rhythm by using a pattern of syllable counts, for example 5-7-5.

If I were to write a haiku with 'importantly' for instance, using dashes to separate the syllables for you to see . . .

The great sun-flow-er
rear-ing up im-por-tant-ly
sa-lu-ted the sun.

You can also add rhythm by repeating the same syllable count in each line, for instance, 10-10-10.

Other poetic forms (usually Western ones) will incorporate stressed and unstressed syllables along with the syllable counts. For example, Shakespearean sonnets use iambic pentameter:

"I grant I never saw a goddess go" (Sonnet 130)

Each set of two syllables ("I grant") has an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed one. This creates a very weighty, formal tone for the poem.

You can find more info in the 'meter' section of this website:
https://poets.org/text/poetry-glossary

Hope this helps!
Thanks!

286 Reviews

Reviews: 286
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:45 am
silented1 says...

inkdreams wrote:
silented1 wrote:Rhythm is hard to teach because it's felt in the sentences. A tip is that informational parts of words tend to be stressed so like: Importantly is a word where it can be divided into two parts, important and ly. It would be stressed, unstressed, stressed, stressed.

Thanks this is helpful! I will check out that book too. :)

Did you ever get that book?
[quote]If it's arguable, then it probably is." - Xeriana X

Link to my will review for food thread: topic71713.html

As ideas are always better than their execution, so too must dough taste better than cookies.
— Horisun