Young Writers Society

NaPo Goals

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:54 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

NaPo Goals

Hey! National Poetry Month is coming up, so I thought I'd start a thread for sharing goals - the classic goal for NaPo is 30 poems in 30 days, but there are a lot of different routes you can take even within that scope. For instance, if you want to tackle a certain poetry structure, device, or technique. 30 poems might not be what you're looking to do either - some years a few people have written 100, and sometimes people's schedules allow for just a few.

Feel free to explain what your goals for NaPo this year are! And then maybe come back later and say whether you were able to achieve them! :)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:51 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

My NaPo goals are to write at least one poem per flower that a certain Birdie gave me so sweetly. That equals to be 18, in total, but it would be fun to go back and write a contrasting image, something opposite to the original poems, using the same pictures, or find some more flowers to gawk over and then turn into a poem.

From there, I do want to expand on using figurative language and even other devices to my advantage, and possibly link poems together, as mentioned above, as a sort of extending metaphors and ideas. I think that would be really fun. Doing some different forms and structures sounds fun too, if a bit complicated lol.

Lastly, I do want to comment on others' threads and review some poems if users decide to publish them.

Overall, at least 18 poems, find more flowers to write about if possible, and help spread happiness to other people XD
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:47 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I'm aiming for 4 poems. So far my ideas are pretty much around growing up/adulthood, but idk, I don't have any particular themes in mind as far as actually trying to stick to anything. I think it's gonna be tough enough eking out 4 poems without putting more constraints on myself lol.

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:19 am
View Likes
Atticus says...

For my first Napo, I'll be satisfied if I write 4 poems since it's 4 more than I would've written otherwise, but I'm also hoping to incorporate some more imagery and description into my poems! Other than that, I'd love to get other feedback on my poems as well.

Another goal of mine is to regularly comment on other people's threads to encourage them, give what feedback I can, and participate in write-ins and other poetic activities.

So overall, write 4 poems, get feedback, participate in activities, and work on improving my poetry by adding more imagery.
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:56 am
View Likes
ellasnotebook says...

I'm going to try and aim for the traditional thirty poems, but it doesn't matter that much to me as long as I have poetry by the end of it.

I don't really have a theme? It's more of a vibe of celebration and also loneliness, which is weird, but I'll try and make it work!

Another goal I have is to generally be more active on yws, especially with commenting and giving support and feedback! I just generally want to have a good time and expand my poet-ing skills!

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:10 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

I'd like to beat my record from last year of eight poems. I've got a couple of months worth of ideas noted down (mostly just snippets of lines to work into something bigger that I think sound good, a few are just basic premises or potential titles) so if I could tackle everything on that list I'd be pretty stoked. I've got a pretty loose theme that could be interpreted in several different ways this year, but I would like to stick to it more than I stuck to my slightly more specific theme last year.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

1227 Reviews

Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:09 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

My goal is 30 poems, one a day, though I know I'll have some really busy days in April - so that might turn into just 30 for the month.

Another one of my goals is that I'm hoping that at least a few aren't so cringey that I'd feel comfortable sharing them with people in real life or submitting them somewhere.

A carry-over goal from last year that I didn't complete, is I'd really like to write Palindrome that makes sense too. (If it's the 29th of April and I haven't written a palindrome yet, someone please tell me to write one!)

And I plan to read quite a few of the threads while looking for highlights for Squills - so I'm looking forward to that, and will hopefully be able to comment in some threads this year as well!

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:54 am
View Likes
Cadi says...

I'm keeping it simple: aiming for 30 poems, plus optional stretch goal of at least one each day. As usual with NaPo, quality isn't going to come into play here - two lines of awkward rhyme 100% count for me!
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:43 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Okay so I'm a little late, but my NaPo goals this year are pretty simple: make 30 poems, one way or another. It's been a few years since I've completed successfully. In a perfect world, I'd love to experiment with different structures and work on an actual song idea and push myself to write something different than my usual style, but I don't know if I'll have time/energy for all that.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1227 Reviews

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:47 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

How are people's goals going?

I think @fraey managed 18 poems and is still poeting! :D And I think I saw some others close to 30 as well.

I'm at 28 poems, so I think I'll make it to 30. I just submitted one poem to a magazine for consideration, so we'll see what happens with that. But still no palindromes written! I have a week to work on it though, so there's still hope.

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:50 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Hey! Update time sounds fun XD Thanks @alliyah! ^^

I did manage to make a list of 30 poems, and I'm doing one-per-day, so I have made that goal, which is pretty cool xD

That's really cool about the submission! I hope you hear back soon <33 Also, good luck with that palindrome <.< 0:
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:46 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

BluesClues wrote:I'm aiming for 4 poems. So far my ideas are pretty much around growing up/adulthood, but idk, I don't have any particular themes in mind as far as actually trying to stick to anything. I think it's gonna be tough enough eking out 4 poems without putting more constraints on myself lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's the goal again, except this year I have a whole poetry journal full of ideas from last year.

1227 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:54 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

My goal is 30 poems in 30 days again, and I want to experiment with poetry formatting a lot too. I think I'm going to stick with a little bit of a theme, but less narrow than last year's color-poetry one. Another thing I want to do is revise a few old poems during NaPo. I think I'll have some busy days towards the middle and end of April, and if I decide to move back home it'll get really hectic, but I should still be able to write a poem a day I think.

My other goal is to read all of the NaPo threads - which I was able to do by the end of NaPo last year. And maybe host one poetry workshop - theme to be determined. :)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:54 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

My goal is to write thirty poems for thirty days. I'd like to write more than one poem a day if the inspiration strikes, but the more important goal is to have a unifying theme. I really want to capture what it's like to be an American teenager so I can (hopefully) turn it into a book once I'm done! Last year my poems didn't have a theme, so I think it'll be interesting trying to stick to one for all thirty days.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:01 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

I aim to write 30 structured poems with the theme Language, Communication & Humanity, while developing poetic voice.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell