z

Young Writers Society

What are your favorite poems for mothers?

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Fri May 04, 2018 3:42 pm
View Likes
Redbox275 says...

I want to write a poem for my mother for Mother's Day. Do you have any good examples?

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Fri May 04, 2018 10:36 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Oh this is a beautiful idea!

I wrote a poem about my mother, that I'm considering giving to her - Women Borne of Oceans

Some other Poems about Mothers by other authors that I like are
"A Dandelion for My Mother" By Jean Norhaus
and "Lunchbox Love Note" by Kenn Nesbitt

My suggestions for writing a poem as a gift would be to not only make it about that person but also what your feelings about that person - ie. if you can put some sort of interaction between the speaker and the "mother" in the poem I think it becomes more concrete and less generic. But otherwise, just write from the heart and I'm sure she'll love it! Also one option if you need a quick idea is to do an acrostic - I've recieved a few acrostics in my time, and honestly I've appreciated them so much! My tip for acrostic writing is don't just have each letter stand for one word. But have it start a sentence or phrase that bleeds into the next phrase.

Here's a cheesy & short example:

My mother, lovely and kind, though
older and wiser than I, is still
my best friend.

Best of luck! And like I said honestly, at the end of the day, I'm sure your mother will be touched with whatever you write if it comes from the heart, because who doesn't love receiving poems written by their loved-ones!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

91 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2018 12:57 am
View Likes
Redbox275 says...

Thank you! I will take your advice.

91 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2018 11:16 am
View Likes
Kazumi says...

I have a book of poems by a Filipino poet named AA Patawaran (Hai[na]ku). In the dedications page, there was a super cool poem that was dedicated to his mother, and he expressed his dedication to his mother in a really badass way. It's in English as well, if you're worrying about that.

Unfortunately, I don't have the poem book at the moment. I don't think you can find it online, and I'm also pretty sure you wouldn't want to go all the way to the Philippines to buy one.

I'll get back to you soon on that, don't worry.
top kek

91 Reviews

Sun May 06, 2018 2:49 pm
Kazumi says...

I am now getting back to you. I got the poem. I don't know how to send images here thru forum posts, but I got you a link to the pic of the poem. Enjoy the dedication poem of AA Patawaran:

https://imgur.com/a/xdJBpZP

It's badass, aint it?
top kek

91 Reviews

Sun May 06, 2018 4:34 pm
Redbox275 says...

Very badass. Thank you.

The last of the human freedoms is to choose one's attitudes.
— Viktor Frankl