First member of the bio trio™.
victim of the writer’s block disease

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:58 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@DemonGoddess what were your thoughts on some of them? I read Baby Pictures and I see you did too, what'd you think?

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:10 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

Thanks Blues <3

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:14 pm
BluesClues says...

Anytime! I came here for a poetry discussion, and I'm not leaving til I get one! *stamps foot*

806 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:19 pm
Aley says...

What did you think of Rotate? I just did a review for that one. @soundofmind's poem
rotate

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:26 pm
BluesClues says...

I loved the rhythm created by the repetition like "rotate, rotate, rotate," "catch me, catch me, catch me." It was kind of singsongy but it seemed to fit, especially if you consider nostalgia for childhood! Although it did get lost a little in the second stanza, which had ideas I thought were touched on more poetically elsewhere in the poem. Anyway, I liked the rhythm as it tied into this metaphor of nostalgia as spinning: fun at first, kind of nice for a while, but the things in front of you get blurry pretty quick and if you do it too long it doesn't feel so good anymore.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:30 pm
Aley says...

Oh, I felt the reverse about the repetition. I felt like the repetition was taking away from the clarity in the poem because it forced the conversation to be in the sing-songy voice. I'm not really a fan of sing-songy though, unless it is about children, but you read Baby Pictures, I don't go sing-songy with that either.

I feel like the clarity in the poem was somewhat lacking because how I interpreted it was that the poem was talking about how we can harm one another by things spinning out of control. Originally everything just has a little wobble, but if it keeps spinning, eventually, it will fly off and break. If we keep affecting people in a negative way, eventually we'll get in a spiral, we'll act upon each other and make people upset by being upset at them and so forth.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:43 pm
BluesClues says...

Mmm so what did you make of the mention of nostalgia then?

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:51 pm
alliyah says...

In rotate -- I interpreted the repetition as invoking a feeling of being trapped in a cycle (like when you're spinning in a circle and the same thing keeps happening over and over again) which goes perfect with the nostalgia bit, it's like these old memories and feelings keep surfacing and so in a way they control the narrator. We move, but we don't go forward; we spin or we fall. And in the end even though the narrator takes a stance with agency "I won't kill you" it still seems to be coming out of a place that is trapped. It's not even that they don't really want to help, it's that they can't (2nd to last, and 4th to last lines) so even though they're getting out of this cycle of memories, and past, they're still caught.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:20 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Yeah, it definitely did sound to me like even though at the end the narrator seemed to be trying to escape the cycle, it ended on a note that sounds hopeless and very much like you really can't escape.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:09 am
View Likes
Aley says...

@BlueAfrica @LadyLizz @soundofmind @alliyah @DemonGoddess @Pompadour @Aley

Make sure you've finished all of your reviews.

This has been a great Poetry Exchange guys. You make me want to run one monthly! Good luck in NaNo for those of you who plan to participate, and if you want to see another exchange, host one, or ask me to and I'll put one together. Here is everything you might want to know about How to Run a Poetry Exchange

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:13 am
BluesClues says...

Oops! I have two left. I think I actually started one, so I'll try to finish those tomorrow.

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:05 am
Brigadier says...

I'll get to my last two tonight.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:31 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

I WILL GET MINE DONE TODAY I SWEAR IT
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 am
Aley says...

If anyone feels they didn't get all the reviews they should, let me know and I'll find some way for the reviews to be made up.

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote