z

Young Writers Society

Who's your favourite poet, and why?

Reviews: 1
Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:35 pm
View Likes
AddictedToTheInk says...

So, who is your favourite poet?

Mine is Wilfred Owen, a war poet who died just before the war ended. His poetry is just so real and captivating. He was the reason I started writing poetry again. I just love the way his words hit you and the sudden realisation that you get when reading them like "Oh wow, this actually happened to people."

So, just comment below who your favourite poet is and why. This would also be great as I would also like to start reading more poetry :)

~A

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:02 pm
birk says...

Dylan Thomas and Arnulf Øverland.

Thomas has created the only poetry that really, really get to me. I don't grow tired of reading them. Øverland is a Norwegian poet and scholar. His works were without a doubt that only recollection of national poetry that held my interest, and now, years later, I find more meaning in them than ever.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:15 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

I'm a fan of Robert Frost; I'm not sure if he's my absolute favorite poet but he definitely would make any list of my favorites. I love how his poetry can be really deep and meaningful while still having very direct and concrete descriptions. I like the themes he uses in his poems as well. The first poem I ever memorized was "Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening", and one of my favorite poems is "Departmental" which I would highly suggest reading if you haven't already! It's great! :)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

Reviews: 4
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:43 pm
View Likes
sophiereichelt says...

My favorite poet is Iain S. Thomas. His poetry is really blunt and honest. And even though many times his ideas were shot down, he never gave up on the dream of publishing a book how he wanted it. His work is completely original, not influenced by a publisher or anyone else.
-if you couldn't be loved, the next best thing was to be let alone.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:15 pm
silverhanded says...

deleted
Last edited by silverhanded on Fri May 11, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

841 Reviews

Reviews: 841
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 pm
View Likes
Radrook says...

Alfred Lord Tennyson

He seemed in full control of all facets of his art.
Especially like his poem Mariana.
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45365/mariana
“Defamation; is an act of impiety.”
― Kristian Goldmund Aumann, The Seven Deadly Sins

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind