Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Creativity Corner » Poetry Discussion

What is Your Motivation?

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:59 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Explaining my feelings and thoughts in metaphors and breaking down this world with abstract imagery and metaphors helps me to understand it. It feels more real and authentic that way. For some reason it's easier to see the world abstractly than merely concretely. I think it's a more interesting and meaningful attempt to understand the world and myself.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:47 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

Oh my god I so know what you mean by that XD

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:49 am
Liminality says...

This was an interesting thread to stumble into! I think my motivation for writing poetry has changed a lot in the past 4 or so years. I used to write because of something similar to what has already been said here: making sense of reality, trying to search for truth, etc. But I've come to find that it's very hard to find truth through a poem.

For me, truth needs clarity, and clarity in poems often competes with the fun parts, which tend to be more ambiguous or straight up nonsensical. Of course, when first writing a piece, it often felt like I'd found something true to say and had said it in a way that embodies that truth. But when other people read it, they don't see the same thing that I was first seeing, and when I re-read my old poems I don't see whatever it was I thought I was seeing either - it's something else. And you know, it got tiring for me after a while trying to communicate very specific messages to readers through my poems, because people will always choose to see themselves in poetry, not to see the author - and why shouldn't they?

So I think from all that my motivation for writing poetry moved to being two things. One, it's partly about fun and creating images and sounds that are pleasing to me. Two, and this is kind of related to one, I find that pleasant, beautiful things, things that evoke wonder, tend to translate more easily from author's hand to reader's mind. I like knowing I have successfully distracted people from the tedium and torments of everyday life with something as simple as a poem about soup, or something as complex as a series of poems about a society of dragons. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

I usually show up online at times between 8am-2pm UTC.

The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune