11%

Total votes : 802

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:30 pm
Twit says...

Fantasy
Anything set in a made-up world! Elves, dragons, spells, mystical swords, anything like that, or in the style of authors like JK Rowling, Robin Hobb, Terry Brooks and Trudi Canavan.

Science Fiction
Stories with a futuristic setting. It doesn't have to be set in space, but includes anything with advanced technology and sciences, alien races and space travel. Science Fiction authors include Isaac Asimov, William Gibson, Philip K. Dick and Arthur C. Clarke.

Historical
This one's pretty self-explanatory -- stories set in the past! This could also include alternate history, where the writer creates an alternate version of historical events, like the Allies losing World War 2. Some notable historical fiction authors are Bernard Cornwall, Rosemary Sutcliff, Patrick O'Brien and Jean M. Auel.

Romance
Again, self-explanatory -- stories about love. They can be tragic with a sad ending, like Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet; or comedic with a satisfying ending like Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series.

Dark
Stories of the strange and supernatural! Dark stories are not necessarily horror; they deal with anything that is not quite normal, so vampires, werewolves, freaky clowns and axe murderers all come under this term. Authors like Stephen King, Anne Rice, Charlaine Harris and Angela Carter write dark fiction.

Action/Adventure
Stories with plenty of action and fast-paced happenings! They usually involve some exciting undertaking with lots of risk and danger. Adventure authors include Tom Clancy, Jules Verne, Robert Louis Stevenson and Ian Fleming.

Other
None of the above? Pieces that can't be classified or have no overall theme? Tell us what it is you write!
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:49 pm
Mikko says...

Fantasy: My HP FanFic.

Action/Adventure: A novel I haven't been working on for a while but I probably should. It's both historical and adventure.

Dark: My NaNo. It doesn't really have the points you suggested 'Dark' has but it is pretty dark, like whoa.
when she needs to shelter from reality she takes a dip in my daydreams

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:59 pm
Rydia says...

Fantasy: My NaNo is fantasy with a little satire thrown in so lots of fun there.

Sci Fi: This one gets a vote as the only novel I've ever completed was a sci fi co-write and it was pretty epic.

Dark: My short stories are almost all dark fiction. I don't know how it happens but like seriously. I guess the genre just screams at me to be written, but I'm not ready just yet to go that extra leap and write a whole novel of dark doominess.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:22 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

All my non-fluffy pieces tend to be darkly humorous. So.

Otherwise, spec-fic all the way!
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:29 pm
Lumi says...

About 90% of my fiction is Dark Fiction. I don't have the patience to create worlds in fantasy settings, and most others bore me, really.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:52 am
Lava says...

Sci-Fi!
But besides those, most of my works tend to go in other - with not a big fat theme, y'know?
I've tried fantasy but failed.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:56 am
Fishr says...

Out of all the choices, I have dabbled in each one except action/adventure so it was hard deciding on the other two. xD

I think it's safe to say I've chosen Historical as my niche but dark fiction is pretty fun, though I haven't posted any examples. And next is fantasy. Someday I will be ambitious enough to combine fantasy and historical fiction.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:51 am
View Likes
Kafkaescence says...

1. I used to write pretty much exclusively in the dark fiction genre, but have somewhat moved away from that now.
2. What would you call it? Experimental scifi? Fantasy? I dunno; something along those lines, I guess.
3. Other: Pat Buchanan.
#TNT

WRFF

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:20 am
Lava says...

Kafkaescence wrote:3. Other: Pat Buchanan.

Definitely not surprised. Which reminds me... hang on. I'll PM.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:28 am
MasterGrieves says...

OTHER: I'm a little confused on how to classify my writing. What genre welcomes isolation/alienation/death/bipolar/suicide/self-harming? Definetely not Romance that's for sure!
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:03 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Kafkaescence wrote:3. Other: Pat Buchanan.

*sighs* why am I not suprised?
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 am
Payne says...

Fantasy: The Hunting Dog definitely falls into this category. But most of my earlier works were fantasy, including my first novel I wrote when I was nine...

Sci-fi: Most of my sci-fi includes dystopian eras, technology used for nefarious purposes, etc.

Dark: Well, I don't really think I have any of my dark stuff posted here...that's the stuff I'm saving for publication someday, since I think it's probably some of my better work.

Actually, a lot of my stories combine those three genres...
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 am
Twit says...

567ajt wrote:What genre welcomes isolation/alienation/death/bipolar/suicide/self-harming?

That would be Dark. ^_^
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:18 pm
BluesClues says...

Fantasy: Elves, other worlds, epic battles, etc...

Romance: I only have one novel (which I will eventually finish, hopefully, I'm thinking as a Nano next year) that qualifies as romance, but there's nearly always at least a little romance injected into my other stuff...

Dark: I think I only have one piece that qualifies as "dark," but, you know, I've written in that genre, anyway.

Other: Poetry, flash fiction, stuff like Country Boy (http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/novel.php?id=1847) that doesn't qualify as any of these...not sure what to call that.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:45 pm
Snoink says...

Most of my novels would be dark fantasy or dark sci fi... but, fortunately sci fi and fantasy can easily fit for those genres. XD

I also picked "Other." I write a LOT of humor pieces when I am not writing for creepy situations.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

I don't think so alliyah, but don't quote me on that.
— TheBlueCat