Any book is a good book
31%

Total votes : 377

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:02 pm
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

I love actual books. Partially, this is because I am a kinesthetic learner, and I love the feel of a book in my hands and the smell of it. I wish though I could like e-books more, but I have a really hard time with reading comprehension when its on a screen.

:D
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:42 pm
View Likes
spinelli says...

I can't stand e-books. And I know that's stupid, and there really isn't anything THAT terrible about new technology [and I'm 18 :P], but I can't stand the idea of an e-book. I don't really know what happened; when the Kindle came out I was super excited. But I thought about libraries and bookmarks and the smell [books smell good]. And I just can't go for e-books anymore. :P And I saw a commercial [I think it was for a Kindle] that showed a girl going to a bookstore to get a new book, but some guy had a Kindle and so he got it immediately. Convenient, but that commercial just completely foreshadowed the end of bookstores. A terrible thought.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 pm
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

I find the lack of Pat disturbing.

I'd have to say any book is a good book.

I prefer hardcopies of books. They have the pretty covers and the wonderful smell and you can slam them angrily or thumb through them lovingly. There's a tangible, emotional joy that only a "real" book can provide. I still have shelves full to bursting and the experience of walking into a bookstore, with physical books that I can leaf through, is one without equal.

But I have a Kindle. I've been reading e-books for a while. I love the convenience of the free content (haven't actually paid money for anything yet) and there is a lot of original work online that I can now enjoy more easily, as opposed to staring at a screen. Screens make my eyes hurt. Plus, I don't have to hunt around for a bookmark (Kindle saves your place!) and I can search any book at any time for any phrase (no more hunting through for that quote or term!).

So, in the end, reading is reading. In a perfect world, there would be something that had the aesthetic of a paper book and the convenience of an e-book, but this isn't a perfect world. Give me both. I'll make do.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:10 pm
Kagi says...

To me hardcopies, or paperbacks are the way to go! I love snuggling down with my tea and a good book, if I could't fold back my pages or smell the paper it wouldn't be the same!

I have loads of e-books but I'm always drawn to the old way. :)
Got YWS?

If, when you mean to type yes you type yws, you know you belong. :P

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 pm
View Likes
EmilyofREL says...

I have a Nook and while I love it, I have to admit I don't use it much. I travel with it, because it's easy to carry, but nothing beats the feel of a real book.
Formerly EmilytheNovelist
REL stands for Rachel, Emily, Lauren, the initials of my triplet sisters and I
“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
”

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:06 pm
View Likes
Kaedee says...

I like eBooks, but I still like hard copy books better. I love turning real pages. :F
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:32 am
inkwell says...

Using a kindle, I've fallen in love with e-books. I never used to like the IDEA, but when I tried it, it made a world of difference. I personally hate the texture of pulpy, sharp paper, burning my skin after a long period of reading. The light shines off it too much, the pages are curved, it's bulky and hard to hold with one hand, and the list goes on. E-books I find more comfortable to read, and with adjusted font/spacing/etc. much faster to read. (Plus, it's saved me a load of bookshelf space!)
Last edited by inkwell on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:53 am
View Likes
HollowPointSmile says...

Personally, I like hardcopy better. It just seems, to me, more comfortable. The saying is, "Cuddle up with a nice book," not a "nice eBook." Also, I'm technologically retarded, so there's another factor for hardcopy. Hardcopy books seem so real, solid, safe. Much more so than an eBook or Nook or whatever.
However, you have to consider the pros of an eBook. They're more "green." You can store several books in them at once (probably an understatement) and they're much lighter and more compact. However, somehow it just doesn't seem the same.

But I'll always like paperback and hardcopy no matter how far technology advances. Maybe because I'm partly insane. Maybe because I like to stick to the older ways. Either way, hardcopy forever.

Reviews: 0
Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:15 pm
View Likes
WriteMyWrongs23 says...

I like all books hardback, paperback, even e-books, but I just don't have that same feeling I get when I enjoy a book if I don't actually get to flip a page to put my excitement of what's about to happen next to rest. Also, e-books can damage and/or crash pretty easily. Trust me.
--Wired Psyche

Reviews: 2
Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:11 am
authorleesa says...

HARD COPY FOR LIFE! DOWN WITH EBOOKS! :twisted: *inhales the lovely scent from a brand new book* MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:24 am
View Likes
emoticon220 says...

Nothings better than the smell of a book, the gritty feel of the pages, the excitement of waiting for the next page, turning it as slow as you please or flicking through it. Go books.
O thin men of Haddam,/Why do you imagine golden birds?/Do you not see how the blackbird/Walks around the feet/Of the women about you?
-Wallace Stevens

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:02 am
View Likes
paperbackheart says...

Okay, the medium doesn't matter I know, but there are certain things I love about paperbacks and hardbacks. I love the abuse I put my books through. It's not that I tear out the pages and destroy them, it's that the more worn it is, the more loved it is. With e readers, you don't feel personal with it. Plus, the screens ruin my eyes and I can't read for long before the words screw up. This is also why I write on paper.
There are four basic food groups: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, and chocolate truffles. -Anonymous.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:07 am
View Likes
Glimmerglass says...

BOOKS SHOULD ALWAYS AND FOREVER BE MADE OUT OF REAL TANGIBLE PAPER. THAT IS ALL. SO. YES.
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you."
~Winnie the Pooh

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:00 am
bluewaterlily says...

Hardcopy forever. (Especially since I recently lost my kindle I had for four years). Plus You can't sniff your kindle or nook. Okay you can but that is just downright weird. It is however socially acceptable for a book nerd to sniff a book. It is highly encouraged.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:03 pm
Featherstone says...

I like hardcopies bc of that awesome paper smell. I like ebooks, too, but if I had to choose a book that I loved in print or on kindle/device, it would be in print.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings