Any book is a good book
31%

Total votes : 377

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:20 pm
PenguinAttack says...

Do you prefer ebooks or hardcopy books? Do the poll and then tell us why! If you want to, that is.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:26 pm
View Likes
Jagged says...

A book is a book is a book, IMO. Hardcopy's cool and nifty and gets that awesome smell of old paper with age, but as soon as you get a proper amount space and weight become an issue--and as someone who regularly has to cram things into tiny bags to fit onto an carry-on bag for the airplane, e-books are a lifesaver.

Either way you get omnommy words :3 Why choose?
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:28 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

I would LOVE to experience an e-book. I can't read on a computer screen because if I stare at words too long, they start tearing up. (Same thing with me writing on the computer.)

So, until I get the feel of an ebook reader, I'll say hardcopy.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:34 pm
RoryLegend says...

Perrrrrsonally

I don't use eReader, kindle, the like. But my mama has one-she friggin loves it.
I'm not opposed at all, ESPECIALLY when it comes to textbooks. I love the idea of getting my textbooks on a kindle (I believe there are larger kindles now) because it's 1. convenient 2. less heavy 3. less expensive.

But when it comes to just reading and leisure and all that I'm a book girl. I just like actually having it in my hands. I don't know.

I like both and think both are swell:)
All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.

-Benjamin Mee

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:36 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

I can't read books on a screen of any sort. xD It doesn't matter how amazing the story is, if I read for too long, my mind starts to drift and the words get fuzzy and I just can't focus on what I'm reading. (The same doesn't apply for writing, though. Usually.) I can read up to about 5k words before everything gets a little... wonky.

Hardcopy for the win. <3 I love the smell, I like flipping real pages, and I can actually focus on what's being written. xD That's always a plus, right?
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:40 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

If I get a Kindle or some device with a more eye-pleasing screen, I might prefer ebooks. With the amount of time I spend on the computer already, I easily get headaches after staring at digital screens too long. Of course, that never stops me for at least having one in progress on each device. xD One on my phone and one on my ipod.

I never liked paperbacks 'cause they always get beat up, and I get frustrated. D: My friend actually laminates her paperbacks, but I have no method of doing so. Hardcovers last longer. And they make me feel smart. And they're really, really pretty.
I make my own policies.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:49 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Hardcopies! But I also like paperbacks a lot for some reason. Maybe because they're cheaper. xD
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:00 pm
XxMattxX says...

Hardcopies!!!!!
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:02 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Until about a month in a half ago, I would have gone on a massive rant here about how eBooks are inferior and how I never wanted an eReader.

Then I got my Kindle. My stubborn self was converted within the span of a few days. And I realized there really is no difference between an eBook and a regular one. They're both stories. An eBook just has certain conveniences attached to it. Like the ability to carry any book I could possibly want to read in something significantly smaller than most of the books I read.

I"m reading War and Peace, Mozart's Letters, and The Metamorphosis right now. Do you know how heavy my backpack would be if I lugged all three of those around? And how nice it is, since the letters and The Metamorphosis are in German, to simply click through for a translation? I mean, to read both those otherwise, I'd have to lug around my German-English English-German dictionary too, and I've long since passed the stage where a pocket one could help me.

I love you dearly, Kindle.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:22 pm
kjr5horses says...

HARD COPIES. (Or Paperbacks)

I cannot stand kindles or any electronic book reading device! I don't feel like I have accomplished anything!

Hard copies and paperbacks are special. Each book has a different smell, the pages have different textures. The sound that the paper makes when you turn each page, there is nothing like it! I don't care if I have to carry around a backpack that's full of 500+ page books with me. They are kind of like family to me, so I don't mind. I always have at least one of them with me! I can't leave home without one!

~KJR~
"Me I'm dishonest but a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly its the honest ones you have to watch out for because you can never tell when they are going to do something incredibly...stupid." ~Capt. Jack Sparrow

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:34 pm
View Likes
tinny says...

I don't mind, but the anti-ebook attitude that I sometime encounter confuses me. Surely the importance is the story, not the medium its presented in?

I don't have an ebook reader, there was one I wanted to use on my phone but it just keeps crashing :( I do have the 100 classic books for my DS, though.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:21 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

I've never liked hardcover books. They look nice on a shelf, but I just find them to be too big and bulky. I do, however, like trade paperback books a lot. They're large enough that they are easy to hold open with one hand, but small enough to be carried around anywhere with the utmost convenience.

Yet while I prefer trade paperback to e-books, I've only been buying e-books for several months now. You just can't beat the convenience of e-books. In the end though, I voted for 'any book is a good book.' Ultimately, it's not the medium that matters.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:52 pm
View Likes
lilymoore says...

I'm a lover of both. I have a Kindle (first Christmas present from my parents then didn't bite hard) and it's my favorite thing to read namely for the free books. (Seriously, who doesn't love free books?) But I could never not love a hard copy to read. For one thing, a hard copy will never have a dead battery. And there is something very intoxicating about the smell of an old book. I love going away for a few days just to walk into my book-littered bedroom to the smell of old paper. It's a major comfort. So I guess I have to say that any book will do because a book is a book after all. It isn't the medium that matters. It's the story. :D
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:36 pm
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

I prefer hardcover only because I don't have an e-reader yet...
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:48 pm
View Likes
Jalmoc says...

What does it matter how the book looks on the out side, or the texture, or the hardness/softness of it? A book is a book and you should care about what knowledge is written on the inside.
If you don't take a chance, you'll always live your life in regret, so let your heart show it's true colors and admit your feelings!

Tis not the blade that took your life, but the Assassin behind it.

When Reality has all but fallen away, recreate your own world

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal