Any book is a good book
31%

Total votes : 377

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:54 pm
View Likes
Yuriiko says...

I'm always up for copybooks. I like the smell and the smooth touch everytime I turn the next page. Ebook makes my eyes all in pain after a while. ^^
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:37 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

I love my Kindle! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:35 pm
View Likes
Sannah says...

I prefer having the hardcopy because of several reasons, but I am not saying I dislike the Kindle either. I love my Kindle, but it is not something I would take to school to read because someone could steal it (I've had two pairs of shoes stolen out of my gym locker and I'm not risking my Kindle anytime soon). I like the weight that a hardcover adds to what I'm carrying. I also like the smell of the pages and the sound it makes when I turn to another page. I like lining the hardcovers or paperbacks on my shelf too. Some people dislike the creases a paperback gets but I rather like them... It shows the book is loved. And writing my name in the book to show it is mine is fun too... I started doing this when I bought a book with a name written in it and started trying to imagine what the person was like... I do like Kindles though because you can have all those books with you or just buy one that you want whenever you want without going to the bookstore. But I do like browsing the shelfs better because I can feel the books. And I like the smell better in a bookstore. The Kindle is good though for whenever I go to my Mom's house for an extended period of time because then I don't have to bring a stack of books to her house or settle for books at her house I've already read ten times. Or if we go visit realatives out of town. I love how the Kindle offers free books and most of the prices are slashed in half. The Kindle also lets you highlight stuff (I do not like marking up my hardcopys/paperbacks) and look up words by simply moving your cursor. But Kindle and hardcopy have different feels when you read them, if you know what I am talking about. Despite all the great things about the Kindle, I voted hardcopy.
"Raise your voice every single time they try and shut your mouth." My Chemical Romance
"I will never cease to fly if held down and I will always reach too high." Vanessa Carlton
"And rest assured, cause' dreams don't turn to dust." Owl City

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:52 pm
View Likes
Nyx says...

There is a big difference to an eBook and an actual book. Paperback books should always win, we have been using them for years and we shouldn't stop :)

Paperback books win always

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:35 am
View Likes
Pigeon says...

I've got noting against e-books, but they're not for me. I engage too much with what I'm reading: I've thrown books across the room when they got too distressing (I always pick them up later and finish them though :) ), and I read while I'm walking home from the station, even when it's raining sometimes. Hardcopies can more or less recover from a few raindrops, I don't know how electronics would go. I love turning pages, and I remember the way words look, so their placement on a page, and the distance that page is into the book is tremendously important to me. And books are alive. I know that that is primarily the words, which are the same in e-books, but there's also the way they feel, and the creases they get, and the pages that have fallen out... I get very attached not just to a particular book, but to my specific copy of it. :)
Reader, what are you doing?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:41 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

I'd rather not have a book in hardback if I can help it, but I voted that because there isn't a paperbacks option. Paperbacks are awesome. I love seeing them on my shelf, snuggling under my duvet to read one and being able to flick the pages, crease the spine. I like them. There's something very comfortable and solid about them that I feel you don't quite get with technology.

However, if I'd been born a generation or two later, I'm sure I'd prefer the e-books. They're ever so convenient and cheap but... I'm just too hooked on my paperbacks already.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:25 am
View Likes
Stori says...

In an ideal world, books would all be free. Unfortunately, this world isn't ideal.

My vote goes with bound books (or codices, to use the formal term).

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:17 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Hardcopy. I just can't adjust to a white screen full of words. I CAN NOT stare at a screen with a white background. (Thank goodness YWS has a BLUE background). I like creased books. I love the stiffish binding and the weakened pages that crinkle at the turn. I especially love TINY TINY TINY little moth holes near the corners (if the book is old enough). That is why it is hard for me to read new books with shiny, perfectly straight barely-touched newly bought books. If I can, I try to get a second-hand version of the same book. As Pigeon3 said, I get very attached not just to a particular book, but to my specific copy of it. And I LIKE THE FEEL OF PAPER BETWEEN MY FINGERS.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:47 am
View Likes
ArcticMonkey says...

Hardcopy books! I remember when I got this game for my nintendo ds that had loads of classic books on it I failed so bad at reading them. I love the smell of REAL book and turning the pages and being able to rip pages out if you don't like it. But yeah... It's not like I ever do that...
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:22 pm
Rosendorn says...

For me, it's any. It's a lot easier for me to find hard copies, but I always have to be careful that they don't smell of ink too badly (should my allergies act up) and if I can find text online that says the same thing chances are I'll take it. Doesn't really bother my eyes to read a screen. (I'm the opposite of you guys. xD I'm on the computer all the time anyway so I figure "what's a few more things to read?")
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:35 pm
View Likes
TheTruthLiesWithin says...

I say both because I like having the book in my hands and all... but the eBook is a greener version. With all the books I go through, if I could save two trees with using a electronic version, then I could reduce my ecological print x)
Go green!
.- <3 -.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:54 pm
View Likes
servant4christ says...

Bleh ebooks? I prefer turning REAL pages over a touch screen. WAAAAAAYYYYY more satisfying!!!
Sometimes you've just got to accept the way things are and move on, but not us...

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:47 am
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

There's someyhing about the smell of parchment and the feel of a page that plastic and lights can't replace for me.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:11 pm
View Likes
evfreak13 says...

I have a Kindle, so I enjoy reading ebooks and it doesn't bother me but personally, there's nothing I love more in the world than sitting in a corner of my room, legs stretched out on the floor, reading a good paperback/hardcover while raindrops slide down the glass window and indie music plays. :)
This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before.
Leonard Bernstein .

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:09 am
View Likes
pyro says...

I just don't like e-readers, be they nook, iPad, DS, or desktop computer. For me personally, a large factor in the enjoyment that I draw from a story comes from feeling the paper under my finger, hearing the gentle moaning of the spine of a brand-new hard-back book. Plus. . .this is going to sound really lame, but it's true. . . you just don't get any comfort from holding a cold, plastic, electronic, slightly luminescent screen. No, you get the comfort from holding a real book! . . . Either that, or I'm just psycho, but either way, i refuse to go electronic.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

Half goat, half fish, all goatfish.
— OSP Red