I like the genre
60%

Total votes : 509

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:00 pm
View Likes
Warrior Princess says...

Actually, I generally pick up books because something about the cover attracts my attention; then I read the summary to see if it's something I'd be interested in. But I chose "because it's a classic," because I'm a huge fan of the classics, especially novels written in the nineteenth century (i.e. anything by Jules Verne, Oscar Wilde, Dickens, the Brontes, etc.). 1984 and The Great Gatsby are also very good.
You must be swift as the coursing river,
With all the force of a great typhoon,
With all the strength of a raging fire,
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:27 pm
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

I usually go to the section that has the genre I like and pick out the most eclectic looking book I can find. Or I read the summaries on the backs untill one interests me.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:20 pm
View Likes
Gheala says...

None of these, actually. >.< I read a few pages from the beginning and the middle and judge the description and writing style.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 am
View Likes
Kale says...

You need the option, "It was there."
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:37 am
View Likes
Lethero says...

For me, it's all of the above except classic. I went with genre mostly because I hardly consider anything outside of fantasy or Sci-Fi though.
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:27 am
View Likes
LookUpThere says...

Because I've been searching for some good superhero literature for ten thousand years (if anybody has some, please recommend, sci-fi or urban fantasy).

My English teacher's actually trying to rehabilitate me... so I'll come back in a month and change me status to 'recommendation' as I will be one of those weirdos in the library, chatting up about names I don't really know, novels that half bored me to death and yet enjoying it.

(I say that every time I'm about to read a classical. And then I end up nodding and smiling 'what an awesome book')

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:34 am
SirenCymbaline says...

Genre. LIVE ON FANTASY!
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:04 pm
View Likes
Day says...

captain.classy wrote:Definitely genre. Fantasy for the win!

that
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:03 am
View Likes
Kaedee says...

The blurb. The genre. And yes, I suppose little things like the title and the cover may effect my book-choosing too...-.0
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:14 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It was a toss-up between "I like the genre" and "it was recommended to me." However, pretty much every single genre I like was recommended to me at one point, and I'm a lot more likely to read books that were recommended to me. I keep expanding what genres I read thanks to recommendations.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:59 pm
View Likes
PhoenixBishop says...

I will say I do try to read all bestsellers. I mean if so many people are buying it there must be something. Usually though I pick books based off of genre. YA fantasy for the win!
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:12 am
View Likes
TheWalkinDude says...

Gotta say, I'm a classics man. I love older books. I'm reading The Divine Comedy by Dante, and I have to say, I love it! I also like Stephen King's early work and some George Orwell (not 1984 *shudders* did not like that book). Plato, Virgil, Homer, just a couple other old authors I like. H.P. Lovecraft is a great horror writer. I'm not a big fan of contemporary writing. Not all newer books I think are bad, just the ones that seem to focus entirely on the contemporary characteristics of society and not the bigger impact that stays with history.

Of course, when the things that I like were written, they were probably considered contemporary to an extent. Rather hypocritical, huh?
I'm striving to be the Architect of the Apocalypse, Master of the Massacre, Ruler of the Rapture, and the Führer of the Fatal.

"It is the tale, not he who tells it." --Stephen King

Take THAT, society!

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:32 am
View Likes
Dreamwalker says...

I read classics. Mostly because contemporary fiction annoys me, and fluff infuriates me. I'll take Charles Dickens over Stephanie Meyer anyday.

That and there is something oddly provoking about the emotions that larger, harder words invoke... maybe thats just me though.
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:08 am
Vanadis says...

I said because it was recommended to me... I don't stick to just one genre. I don't necessarily read everything by a particular author. I don't care whether it's a classic or bestseller or not (I'll still read it...) So, most of the time, it was a recommendation. Although, even when someone suggests I should read something, I do bombard them with questions to make sure it's my cup of tea before I go get it.
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

Reviews: 0
Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:38 am
View Likes
Saman says...

I look at the genre of a book and choose to read it only if I like its genre. I really don't judge a book by its cover that's because I've grown up reading my uncle's rich collection of books with yellow and crinkled pages, so it really doesn't matter what a book LOOKS like to me.
sfk[code][/code]

It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner