I like the genre
60%

Total votes : 509

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:15 pm
View Likes
bugbug368 says...

I like a book if it's colourful and has an interesting cover and an interesting blurb. At the moment, I am addicted to a series of books with awesome covers or blurbs!
Nobody is more obsessed with Jedward than I am...
- bugbug368

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:35 am
View Likes
emoinpink says...

Oh, wow. Um. A mixture. Usually I just randomly find books, like if I'm in a bookstore or the library and I happen to pick one up, I'll have a quick look and then take it. This is how I find most of my favourite authors - if the book's good then I go through every single book they've ever written in the hopes that they'll be as good as the first one I read. And occasionally someone gives me a book or I hear about a classic, and then hunt it down. So yeah. A mixture.
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.-Japanese Proverb

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:42 am
Jashael says...

Usually 'cause I like the genre... but sometimes, 'cause it's plain 'classic'. Eventually though, even when my reason was it's classic, I like it. xD
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

97 Reviews

Reviews: 97
Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:37 pm
SpencerNolanRivers says...

I mostly read things by classic writers such as Shakespeare, Poe, Dickens, and all the other people you learn about in English class. It takes a lot for me to enjoy a contemporary book.
House: People interest me. Conversations don't.
Foreman: Maybe because conversations go both ways.
House & Foreman: Like Thirteen.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:13 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

None of the above! I mean, SOMETIMES because it's a classic or an author I like or because it was recommended to me...but mostly I pick up a book because I'm addicted to books, and anything with a creative title, an eye-catching cover, an interesting summary on the back, and a good first few pages is sure to find its way home with me!

~Blue

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:24 am
View Likes
ChocolateMoonLight says...

i have read books of many genres but mostly before reading a book i like to read the back cover, if the back cover holds some interest for then i read it and if not then the book is back on its original place, full-stop... :wink: :wink:
Spoiler! :
Checkout the different shades of sunset...
topic84708.html

Need a review??? Click here! http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic87443.html#p913699%20URL%20Review%20Bar...

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:10 am
View Likes
Busheldood says...

i read the first few pages then, decide if it sounds likt it's got a good plot or see the author

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:15 am
View Likes
STobsessed says...

If it's a challenged book, it's usually pretty good ;)
So listen closely, and don't stop working. No one can tell you who you are. (BVB)

"Rest now my friend. Rest now forever. Sleep now the untrubled, sleep of the angels."
(Sweeney Todd)

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:34 am
View Likes
Calligraphy says...

When I go to the library I pick up random books and read the first page. If it draws me in then I read what it is about. Then I read it. At the bookstore I try to stick with authors I like. Thankfully I have a friend who had very similar taste to me.

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:45 pm
View Likes
Day says...

For me It's primarily based on genre, and I think this applies to most people who only read within one genre. I myself am a fantasy reader, thus the first and primary requirement of most books I read is that they be fantasy. Secondly I usually get recommended of books within that genre from fellow readers/friends.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:20 pm
View Likes
UCntCMee says...

I was torn between the classic option and the author one... Both are true! Usually the books I read are by one of the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, G.K. Chesterton, or Alexandre Dumas.... Yay for Kindle and free eBooks! :)
It was your world, Baby, and I just slipped in it.

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:03 pm
View Likes
lovethelifeulive says...

I picked the last one.
But I would read Gone with the Wind because I know that its a classic,
Meg Cabot because her books never fail to intrest me,
a best-seller or recommended from a friend says that the probability of you enjoying the book is likely,
and the cover it the first thing that captures your attention so that is also a contributing factor to deciding what book to read.
What a mouthful.
If you prick us, shall we not bleed?
If you tickle us, shall we not laugh?
If you poison us, shall we not die?
If you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
The Merchants of Venice-Shakespear
Love the life u live,
and live the life u love

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:02 am
View Likes
ShadowKnight155 says...

I grab a book randomly, sometimes, but usually it's my attraction to the cover, title, or size. I like long books that aren't in a series. I get bored with an author after a while. Eventually I pick up on their writing style too much, and little quirks in it I don't like drive me away. And, eventually that characters I just squeezed dry; there's nothing new added to them or they've just been saturated. :D

PS:I didn't vote.
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:39 am
View Likes
inkwell says...

I liked the cover... :p
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

Anne felt that life was really not worth living without puffed sleeves.
— L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables