25%
Other
16%

Total votes : 137

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:49 am
Nate says...

As of this post, the Academy Awards are coming up very soon (is it March 1?), and the best picture nominees have been announced. Which do you think deserves the title (other choices are listed as well since some *cough* Walk The Line *cough* are conspiciously absent...)?

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:59 am
Sponson Light says...

there were movies in 2005?!?
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:42 am
Dono says...

I can see why this is the YOUNG Writers Socioety. The votes reflect it :roll:

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:52 am
smaur says...

I've only seen a couple of movies from here, so when I say Brokeback Mountain is the best movie, I'm actually not taking into account Crash which (I'm told) is apparently absolutely brilliant. And, of course, Good Night And Good Luck. So, yeah, "best" is used very VERY loosely (i.e. from the selection that I've actually seen).

But honestly — Revenge of the Sith? What the heck?! Horribly plotted, paced, characterized ... Batman Begins was better than that. No, really. There are tons and tons and TONS of better 2005 movies, sci-fi or otherwise.

If it wasn't a Star Wars movie ...
Last edited by smaur on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:02 am
smaur says...

P.S. the Oscars are on Sunday. I'm rooting for Howl's Moving Castle, although of course no one else's ever heard of it ...
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:15 pm
ladydark says...

arglkdjfj, he had to choose thooose movies... I loved narnia, most of the time when people put excellent books into movies, it sorta... fades away. But Narnia, oh that was sooo gooood, <3s the director and all the people who filmed it. ^_^ I am going to go see it again today... wee, annnd hah, I would've voted for Star Wars, but I'm already a nerd, so.. it doesnt count, its an automatic best movie of the year ;)
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

"Foul devil, for God's sake, hence, and trouble us not;
For thou hast made the happy earth thy hell,
Fill'd it with cursing cries and deep exclaims." (Richard III 1.2) Shakespeare

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:31 pm
Firestarter says...

Other.

Since I'm no film critic, I rate films simply by how much I enjoy them.

Kung Fu Hustle was brilliant.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:18 pm
Sponson Light says...

I saw Kung Fu Hustle without the voice-overs and subtitles. You understand the jokes better.
Hahaha.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

Random avatar

Reviews: 44
Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:11 pm
View Likes
blob says...

why isnt kingkong up there , thats probably the best movie ever made
From palistine and proud of it

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:17 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Where's Pat Buchanan?? :P

Moving on...Star Wars all the way! :D
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:22 pm
Whatsarahsaid says...

Good night and good luck has just came out over here, so I'm going to see it as I've heard it's brilliant.
The best film I saw this year was probably Brokeback mountain.
Alice&hearts;
"stay up all night with the stars."

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:52 pm
Rei says...

I saw Howl's Movie Castle! It was BRILLIANT! Definitely my choice for best animated.

In the poll, though, I chose Narnia. I haven't seen most of these movies though. But out of Revenge of the Sith, Harry Potter, and Narnia, it is the best. Sadly, it is quite the rarity that fantasy gets the respect it deserves and won't likely be recognized for anything but Make-up, art design, costumes, and maybe FX. But then again, LucasFilm has a nasty habit of always winning in that area.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:10 pm
*Twilight* says...

Rei even though I haven't seen Houl's moving castle yet I'm sure it was the best animated film.
I'm a huge Miyazaki fan and I must say that Spirited Away was a masterpiece.
Now for the poll, seeing as Harry potter was the only movie I saw that was on the poll I have to vote for it. (my movie viewing was slow this year.) Aparrently it is in second place.
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:26 pm
kiashana says...

Looking at that list, I feel kind of pathetic. I've seen only one of the movies on that list- Star Wars. I didn't even see Harry Potter, and I'm a Harry Potter fanatic. I kept saying I should go see Brokeback and my GSA planned to go see it... But we never did. Also, being only 16 when I believe all five of the Best Picture nominees are rated R makes things difficult.
And besides, Star Wars was pretty bad. My favorite movie of '05 was probably Rent (being the musical theater geek I am).

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:49 am
Supermal says...

Well, my favourite is a tie between Goblet of Fire, Narnia, and Memoirs of a Geisha. Brokeback Mountain was close. While I thought is had a phenomanal plot, the movie was rather... I dunno- long and boring. I found all of these great movies a little too long though. Narnia was probably the closest to the top of my list though- great setting, plot and characters
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

Obsessing over what you regret won't get you anywhere.
— Steggy