4%
Other
8%

Total votes : 100

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:41 pm
Zion says...

We are celebrating Christmas on January the 7th since im orthodox. Mom makes a loaf of bread and puts a small 200+ year old coin which every old family has. Then brakes the bread in equal piesces. whoever has the coin in his piece of bread, he will be followed by luck for the entire year. Also dad gathers ashes, coal, two candels and scents and with them passes every room in the apartment thus chasing away evil spirits and cleansing the space. Also we eat leat (i think thats how its called in english) food for christmas. Whats Eid anyway :S :?
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:29 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Eid is an Islamic holiday. Actually, it can refer to two different Islamic holidays. One is Eid ul-Fitr, which celebrates the end of Ramadan (celebrated this year in early November I think), and the other is Eid ul-Adha, which will happen in late January. I don't know much about Eid ul-Adha, but Eid ul-Fitr is very similiar to Christmas in that it's a joyous holiday and one often spent with friends and family. A few of my friends who are either muslim themselves or one of their parents are, celebrate it just like Christmas with gift-giving and a tree. But, traditionally, people go to mass and spend time with family.

If I'm wrong, please correct me!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Areida says...

Christmas.

We spend the time we get out of school until Christmas Eve with my mom, then we go home mid-afternoon on Christmas Eve to get ready to go to the candlight service at church. When we get home, we change clothes and put on our annual Sister Christmas Program, a cheesy yet fabulous tradition in which my sisters and I put on a show for parents and grandparents. They're filmed every year, but forbidden material, a.k.a. I would die if anyone saw them... LOL...

After that, my grandparents go home and then we open sister presents: Each sister gets each other one present and we put them under a small tree we keep upstairs and call the Sister Tree. It's actually a pretty sweet deal, because you get three presents on Christmas Eve. :D

Then everyone gets into their pajamas, we lay out cookies and milk for Santa and carrots and goldfish (the cracker, not real fish) for the reindeer. We all sleep in Diana's room (two on the floor, two on the bed) and Dad reads us Twas the Night Before Christmas. It's a pop-up book, so Haley always wants to pull the little dealies... well, when we were younger we used to take turns, but now Haley's the only one who really cares.

Then we say our prayers, and (hopefully) fall asleep fast. In the morning, we try to wait as long as possible because we can't go downstairs until Dad comes to get us. We usually put on a movie to keep ourselves entertained while we wait (one year was Barbie Rapunzel because Haley begged us... LOL... I freakin' love that movie now...). Dad brings up breakfast (usually muffins, bacon, and eggs or something like that) and a few minutes after that, he usually calls us from downstairs.

Next, (can't tell we love our traditions, eh?) we line up in order of age along the bannister, Dad takes a bazillion pictures, and then we rush downstairs, youngest first. Then we open presents, which is hilarious because you never know when someone's going to start squealing/screaming/shouting/being really excited.

After that, we eat a big ol' meal and then lay around for a while. It's kind of an unspoken rule that you're not allowed to change out of your PJ's on Christmas Day. :D Since my parents are divorced, we spend a few hours of Christmas Day with the madre and then it's back home to do more lying around and being wonderfully lazy.

Usually, on the 26th we hit the after Christmas sales. Last year I got this uber awesome sundress for 10 bucks when it was an original 60. It had to sit in the closet until May, but it was fun. :D Plus, if you forgot to get anyone a Christmas present, you can buy it then for way cheaper and give it to them in January. Who doesn't love presents in January?

So, now that I've rambled, that's what we do for Christmas. The presents are a plus, but the best part is getting to be with my sisters. I really like the Christmas Eve service because it puts things into perspective and helps me slow down.

I really love Christmas.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:36 am
View Likes
Chevy says...

This probably sounds stupid but what the heck is Yule?

Anyway--Christmas for us. We're Christians and we celebrate Christmas but we're not like...mainstream. We haven't had a tree in years but this year we put up lights and I was like...wow.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:06 am
ladydark says...

haha... Manchester England... thats kinda creepy Matt... I live close to um, Manchester NH New England... in USA... -is creeped out- anyways, Christmas is fun, usually we gather together, eat, get fat, share presents, then I hide up stairs with my new PC games or DVDs.... or music
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

"Foul devil, for God's sake, hence, and trouble us not;
For thou hast made the happy earth thy hell,
Fill'd it with cursing cries and deep exclaims." (Richard III 1.2) Shakespeare

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:45 am
Firestarter says...

hen on boxing day we go to Manchester overnight to visit family.

Come visit me!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:26 pm
-KayJuran- says...

manchester has to be good - apparently has the second biggest china town in europe!!! :P

anyway, i'll be celebrating xmas. my friend has already celebrated eid. but what is kwanzaa?! never heard of it...

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:03 pm
Beethoven says...

Christmas! My favorite holiday! We go to Christmas eve service (I'm in choir, mom is signing to 'O Holy Night'), come home for shrimp cocktail! Fortunately, our church isn't having a service on Christmas morning (since its Sunday )

Our family is huge, but all in MT (I'm in CA), so we can't join them. It's this big celebration, with a huge gift exchange, and I miss it so much : (

You've never heard of Kwanzaa? "Kwanzaa is an African American and Pan-African holiday which celebrates family, community and culture. Celebrated from 26 December thru 1 January, its origins are in the first harvest celebrations of Africa from which it takes its name." ^_^

So, yeah, bye.

Happy Chrismahanukwanzakah!
Last edited by Beethoven on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your existence is overbearing.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:07 am
zelithon says...

Yule/solictice... Besshes! :twisted:
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:37 am
Tara says...

Emma wrote:
Crysi wrote:I usually get pajamas the night before

Hehe! Same here, my mum buys us Pjs before christmas and we get to wear our christmas Pjs the night before christmas! Heh, yeah, we celebrate Christmas. It's fun.

Haha! make that three of us, it's a tradition in our family, too.
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:13 am
Matt Bellamy says...

Does anyone else name their turkey? Or is that just my family...In the past we've called our turkey Rudolph, Harvey and Jasper. This year it's Joseph.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:05 pm
ummcowsareawesome says...

Emma wrote:

Hehe! Same here, my mum buys us Pjs before christmas and we get to wear our christmas Pjs the night before christmas! Heh, yeah, we celebrate Christmas. It's fun.

Same here!!! every year zelithon and i get to open a present christmas eve and its always pjs!!!!! I love Christmas cuz that means only 6 more days untill my birthday! Presents just keep on comin'!!!!
LoveHorseshoe79 (4:28:03 PM): the worst thing is to make someone you love miserable because they are so scared to like someone else because you are always hovering over them

Yes, I know, I'm very wise and knowing.

16 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:16 pm

Tara wrote:
Emma wrote:

Haha! make that three of us, it's a tradition in our family, too.

Now thats four!!!!!
LoveHorseshoe79 (4:28:03 PM): the worst thing is to make someone you love miserable because they are so scared to like someone else because you are always hovering over them

16 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:28 pm

KayJuran wrote:manchester has to be good - apparently has the second biggest china town in europe!!! :P

anyway, i'll be celebrating xmas. my friend has already celebrated eid. but what is kwanzaa?! never heard of it...

You don't know what Kwanzaa is?! You must not get out (of the country) much. Kwanzaa I think it is like Hannaka (i don't know how to spell that) where they get a candle thing and stuff and lasts for a number of days. It's in African culture too, or Jamaican, I'm not positive.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:06 pm
zelithon says...

I heard there is no set right way to spell hanika as long as you can tell what it is. :D
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana