I don't like those options, or, other
20%

Total votes : 213

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:33 pm
View Likes
jtksmile says...

Love is selfless ---> somthing to argue over ...
Love is nothing but a selfless devotion, left to live it's wildest dreams.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:31 am
View Likes
rosethorn says...

Interesting topic, Nate. Kudos!

Forgive me for getting deep and personal with this topic. (Eh, if you don't like it, don't read it. Practice the 1st Amendment.)

I used to think love was being willing to die for someone or maybe even not being able to go on without them. But after I escaped from an extremely disfunctional, self-destructive relationship I thought different.

I was more than willing to die for this person. Yes, I thought I wouldn't make it without them. Well, I did think I loved this person because of this. And then I discovered how easy it is to die. To die and claim a cause. So easy to dedicate your own death to just about anyone if you wanted to. I realized just how damn easy it was and decided that this couldn't be the definition of love, or at least not the definition I wanted to believe in.

After a full year of soul searching, I've came to this conclusion:

Love is giving the person countless amounts of acceptance. Giving them encouragement to choose the path they want. Letting them share their shames and regrets and not judging them for it. Giving them space for themselves and only themselves if they ask for it. Supporting them when they want to love someone else. Hearing their truths even if it means you'll lose them. Holding them if they hit rock bottom.

And above all:

Expecting nothing in return.

This is the only kind of love that there really is and I understand this now.

I remember how much it used to bother me when I'd hear of a couple divorcing because one of them has a problem; be it alcoholism, gambling, spending money, whatever. It didn't make sense to think that they had stood in front of the alter, stating their vows and "death do us part", "through sickness and in health", "through thick and thin"...all to end in the worst time, the exact time when love is expected to overcome. Maybe I'm not with my times but I would expect love to especially last through times of hardship. Isn't that what it's for? Not sex. Not making babies. Not for your damn entertainment. Well I fully understand now why love never made much sense to me. It's only after we get a taste for it do we come to understand it, I believe.

As always,

POKE

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:33 am
View Likes
Dream Deep says...

Love is eternal - if you truly, deeply love someone, no matter what happens I think a small part of you will always love them.

Or maybe I'm just hopelessly romantic ... ^_~

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:43 am
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

Love is everything that's good about the world.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 am
View Likes
Tinkerbell says...

love is... amazing. But its a bit like a firework.
Goes off with a bang, glitter, bright colours, interests you and holds your attention... and then it can fizzle out.

Unless its those long-lasting ones on Harry Potter that Fred and George Weasley made?
lol, :D
The show must go on- Moulin Rouge

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:16 am
View Likes
Pushca says...

your bringing back to mind... nevermind.

there are so many things that love can be... for me, it always hurt, but i am and have always been mildly self-destructive.

fred and.. george... hp fanfic that my disturbed friend told me ALL ABOUT, NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRIED NOT TO LISTEN.

well congratulations, you've ruined any chance of sleep tonight. *sigh*
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:14 am
View Likes
Mr. Everyone says...

Love is pure happiness!, for love is suppost to be what all desire and there is only one synonym or that...

keep writing guys and =) happy reading (=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:34 pm
View Likes
blonde&confused says...

depends on whether it's unrequited or not. If it is unrequited love sucks and is ridiculously painful.

if it's returned then it can be wondeful.

One of my favourite analogies is 'love is like the wind, you never know where it's coming from, or when it's going to come. But when it hits you...you're swept away.
H. Edwards

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:00 pm
View Likes
bkwrm says...

Other countries have got it right when they use different words for the different kinds of love. Love can be so different every time you experience it

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:40 pm
View Likes
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Pat Buchanan? LOLOLOLOLOLOL! I voted "other". :continues to laugh about Pat Buchanan and the onion option:
ohmeohmy

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:24 pm
View Likes
Tassen Spellbinder says...

Love is blissful, but agonizing and just plain sucks when it doesn't work...
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. - George Orwell, 1984

Where in the world is Enoch Root?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:11 pm
View Likes
Twit says...

Love is a waste of time. Biases your judgement, makes people act like fools, can have terrible consequences. Wouldn't Spiderman be better off if he didn't love MJ? No liabilities, nothing that could be used against him. He'd be free, nothing to hold him down. But he does love her. What happens? She gets used against him. Gwen Stacey, another girlfriend? She gets killed and has the Green Goblin's children. Green Goblin Juniors fight Spiderman. Recipe for lasanga.

In real life, love can have terrible consequences: revenge, jealousy, distrust, breaking up of friendships, etc. I'm well aware that love can be a good thing, and I have absolutely nothing against marriage (hey, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for marriage!) but I just feel that it isn't for me. I might change as I get older, but that's how I feel now, and I have no desire to change.

-ST
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Thu May 17, 2007 10:03 am
View Likes
Shine says...

Love is something which i didn't fing yet.....lolz
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed May 23, 2007 10:12 pm
View Likes
Alice says...

Love is a trap, while it will grant you lots of happyness its only there to make you sad in the end.
I just lost the game.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:00 pm
View Likes
-Save-Ferris- says...

Love is scary...
“Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.”

I'll actually turning 100 soon
— Ari11