17%
Other
34%

Total votes : 166

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:22 pm
Nate says...

This is something that you don't hear about very often; that is, what was your first story about? It could be something that's not even a sentence long, but it has to be something that you actually wrote! For instance, in Kindergarten the teacher wanted us to write a short story. I didn't really know how to write back then so I just pretended I wrote a story about Peter Rabbit by scribbling lots of circles and told myself I would remember it later... That would not count as a first story!

For me, my first story was about dinosaurs, and I wrote it on cardboard paper and it's still around here somewhere. I remember writing it on a snowy day back when I was in first grade. One of my great aunts helped me writing it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:26 pm
Sponson Light says...

My first story (not counting crappy rpg maker stories) and not counting school related things (as they are forced) would have to be pretty recent from my memories.
Never did like writing much.
So yeah probably about orks or something really recent.
Not sure if you would believe me, because I hardly believe that that was the first thing Ive ever self-consciencely wrote.

Ive always drawn.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:27 pm
Firestarter says...

My first real story was an adventure one.

It started with a man climbing Mount Everest, before he was recalled by his "Boss" to go on a trek to find some lost jewels (memory is hazy) and it went through the Congo jungle, mountains, cities....it was cool. I remember my dad's friend saying I should be a writer somet time - that was the first time someone had ever told me that and probably why I carried on writing.

It was also done on a program called Creative Writer which was a program for kids, and it had cool background pictures and interactive text!!! I still have it somewhere. Not the story though.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:10 am
bubblewrapped says...

God, I dont know - the first story I actually wrote down (other than expressing in mangled verbal syllables, lol) was probably one of those weird one liners you used to do in big books with lots of pictures...I doubt it made much sense and I cant recall writing it so...does it count? I could dig up the old exercise books I suppose. But anyways, the first coherent thing I can remember writing was a story about going to the beach. It was kinda a report more than a story, about our class field trip to the beach and all, but that was when I was first told I should be a writer; so thats basically where it all started. I was about seven or eight I think, but I wrote before that and have been writing since before I can remember...scary thought... :shock:
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:12 am
Areida says...

Okay, one of the first ones I remember was inspired by Princess Jasmine of Aladdin fame. I wrote about two pages on her and kept asking my mom how to spell Jasmine. I think I was four. Maybe five.

The second story I remember was for school, so I don't know if that really counts. The important thing was that it had to have a surprise ending, so I wrote about my then-pet, a black mouse named Cookie. She lived up at my school as our class pet for my third grade year, so I wrote about her meeting another mouse and they became friends. When she woke up the next morning, she'd had babies over the night. I am now more than a little disturbed by this.

But what I think of as my first real story is this random fairy tale called "Once Upon A Time" for lack of a better title. The thing was based off two sisters named Grace and Estrella. Grace was blind, but she had an operation that gave her back her sight, and then Estrella got married and Grace was lonely, so she was crying and that annoyed an evil sorcerer-like dude and he showed up and threatened to curse her sister.

So she meets this hot stable hand named Hayden who was training to be a Dainway warrior (I'd just seen Star Wars Ep. II in 6th grade, so both the name Hayden and the Dainway thingy was a total take off that) and they team up to complete the three tasks set before them to save the life of Estrella and her husband Calvin.

I am too embarrassed to read the darn thing. It's so stupid.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:16 am
Carmina says...

I wrote my first story when I was four. It was how my mom taught me to read and write. I dictated a story and she showed me what the letters looked like and I copied them. I wrote about my siamese cat Tai and a made-up black cat named Jenny. When I was like 8, I threw away all my old stories because I was embarrassed by them. My mom told me I would regret it someday. I really wish I still had them. :(
I reject your reality and substitute my own

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:20 am
bubblewrapped says...

Thats sad Carmina :cry: I bet we've all lost lots of good stories along the way though.
areida, your story does sound disturbing, LMAO. I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud when I read your post. It reminds me of this poem I wrote once about our (then) dogs having puppies. Dont. Ask. :oops: :wink:
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:07 am
Meshugenah says...

oh goodness.. the first thing i remember writing was this strange.. thing.. what was it? oh yeah.. I think I wrote it for my brother.. I was 6, he was 4 (aka he was still short and cute). I have that somewhere in my closet (so I'll be lucky if I ever find it again). I know I did something before that, but I can't remember what for the life of me.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:46 am
Sam says...

The Easter Bunny Goes To Washington DC. Need I say more?
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:13 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Oh dear. Nobody laugh at this, this is a very very long time.

This is the earliest work I can remember. I had an odd fascination with natural disasters (being a little kid and all) so I wrote a story called "Tornado Time."

The story basically said something about a tornado that was coming. A siren went on but it was too late. Then everybody died died died...

It continued with that died thing for about seven lines before I decided that was enough.

Then again, I was about six at the time. If not younger.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:17 am
Elizabeth says...

about the family i have
it was short
1 page all spaced out.... if i can find it then i might pu it up somehwere.
also something about TV shows I liked. it was so... ugh short and boringly weird

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:07 am
Happy Lizard says...

My first story was about a mouse called Monty who ate to much before going swimming and drowned.
~~Honary 11-year old~~

Would you like some bread with your pepper?

See that freak with blood shot eyes and a mole on his eyelid over there?
He is so hot.

I hate peas.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:36 am
View Likes
Fool says...

Mine was about a horse (wrote at the age of about 10) that was a racing horse but he got kidnapped and lost and all sorts of things, I've still got it, and i cringe when i read it, it's awful, but it started me writing, and im glad for it.

The next one was a fantasy epic about this guy called Oriel, which i still havent finished yet, but i like the idea so i'll go back and rewrite it someday. It was a "save the world from the rising hordes of the demons" type thing, i enjoyed writing it though.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:12 am
Matt Bellamy says...

The earliest story I remember (though I must have written some stuff before it) was about these tiny aliens that landed in a girl's garden and she needed to take them to a nuclear power station to make a potion or something, to save their planet...something like that, anyway. It was based on some teddies I had in my room, I described the aliens just like them.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:10 pm
Rei says...

I don't remember the first story I wrote down. I think it might have been a one-sentence thing in grade two, and it was about swimming when I go to camp. The rest of the page was a picture of the pool. The next story I remember actually writing down was about a ghost, written for school when I was nine. Until I was in grade five, though, I didn't start writing my own stories down. But I was always making up stories, ever since I was three years old.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

He who knows only his own generation remains forever a child.
— Cicero