What is Your Favorite Part of Writing?

What is Your Favorite Part of Writing?

The actual writing
13%
Creating Characters
22%
Plotting (and scheming :D )
9%
Researching the time period, culture, etc.
1%
Creating your own world
23%
Other - tell us below!
3%
I can't decide! Everything is just so much fun!
19%
Beginning a piece of work
5%
Ending a piece of work
5%

Total votes : 960

194 Reviews

Reviews: 194
Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:28 am
Sela Locke says...

Just writing. Being in the middle of climax towards something the main character doesn't understand, and having him/her agonize over what could possibly happen, and then, just as it's too late to escape fate, he or she figures it out.

Hehe, I feel diabolical now. xD

-SELA
Well, I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.

--Algernon, The Importance of Being Earnest

Random avatar

Reviews: 150
Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:30 am
200397 says...

I love the plotting and scheming. I love to decide when to put in the action, when to put in the romance, and when to put the character(s) in the most dangerous situation they've faced yet. I love trying to make it all fit and tie into the story, even the twists.

~Sunny

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:51 am
scotty.knows says...

My definite favorite has to be that part of writing when ideas start coming into your mind like crazy. I get super excited and like this massive adrenaline rush and then I'll sit down at the keyboard and crank out about 10,000 words in a sitting and then...

WHAM! Boredom strikes. Onto another novel. I think I have about 7 in varying states of incompletion right now. Actually, it's more like 12. I have some novels where all I have is an outline sitting in a notebook.

But there are probably 7 novels on my computer with at least 7500 words on them.
'Merikuh!

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:55 am
lilymoore says...

I voted 'other' cause quite honestly, I find that getting feedback about a piece of writing from my peers is the most thrilling feeling in the world.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:35 am
Insomnia says...

Creating the characters, specifically their dialogue. I love the relationships and interactions between them. That's what makes writing so amazing and effortless for me. Exploring the bonds between people in any given situation. xD

Of course, I can't deny that ending isn't an amazing feeling, but there's also a lot of sadness then as well, especially if it's a longer work.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:17 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Definetly the characters. Love 'em.

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:01 pm
Swottielottie says...

Oooh! It just has to be the characters! I love it when my characters become fully fleshed out and they sit next to me like not-so-silent ghosts. My characters become my best friends, almost. (WOW, I sound nerdy!)
I love the plotting part as well, just throwing my treasured ones into all sorts of horrid situations. Muhahaha!

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:31 pm
View Likes
.:Echelon:. says...

Creating my own world!! I love just escaping from realty and coming into my own little land.

Also i like creating characters, its wicked just making a person in everyway that you want them to be!!

I voted the first one.
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:33 am
Teague says...

The characters.

I'm one for realistic fiction which is a largely character-driven genre. I like crawling around in a character's head and evaluating how their circumstances affect who they are, and the other way around.

As I said to the nice reporter girl from my school's yearbook, it's a way for me to make sense of myself and the world.

Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

Reviews: 1
Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:36 am
Kevzta says...

Killing off characters year baby, especially the ones you come to love and hate.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:59 pm
Wiggy says...

It was a hard choice between the actual writing and creating characters, but actual writing won out. How can you not love writing? After all, that's what it's all about! *does the Hokey Pokey*

*badoomcrash*
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:43 am
~Volant~ says...

Swottielottie wrote:Oooh! It just has to be the characters! I love it when my characters become fully fleshed out and they sit next to me like not-so-silent ghosts. My characters become my best friends, almost. (WOW, I sound nerdy!)

You sound nerdy?! Not even!! XD I've fallen in love with some of my characters. Note the some; meaning, more than one....haha.

Actually, I've caught one of my characters actually talking to me in my head and when I'm asleep. I swear he's real. haha. No wonder most writers go insane.
Where are we going?

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:10 am
dragnet says...

OMG! It is all just so much fun, I can't decide!
Many ask me if I see the glass as half full or half empty. Well, I don't know about you, but I see the glass as, WHO DRANK HALF OF MY MILK?!?!?!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:39 am
The-Phantoms-Thorne says...

I chose "other". I think the appeal is starting with an idea and having random characters that I didn't plan on appearing mid-way through the manuscript and expecting to be included. Yes, I'm talking about you, Armand and Althabert! You two weren't supposed to show up!
~@ Hyde's Classic Lines @~
“I must say, I enjoy a bit of carnage in the evening.”
“Well, this is the oddest angle I've seen London at, I must confess.”

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:23 am
sodapop says...

I voted "Other." My favorite part of writing is rereading what I've written. I love to "taste" the words and feel the flow of my writing.

I'll show my defiance through ironic obedience!
— AstralHunter