No
88%

Total votes : 347

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:25 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Would you pay to remove ads? If so, how much? If no, why?

I'm asking because I've been tossing this idea for a bit now with the mod squad. Most large sites already do it since everyone seems to be learning at the same time that advertising alone cannot make up for the costs and time involved in running a Web 2.0 site.

You wouldn't get anything extra, though; just almost total ad removal from all pages. I say almost only because the orange text link ads on the front page will have to stay due to a ToS I agreed to.

By the way, I will not be signing up for this myself. As the site admin and webmaster, I need to view YWS the way the majority see it. This means viewing YWS in all its advertising glory.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:33 am
View Likes
Teague says...

Hm... maybe. I'll refrain from giving a definite answer, because I'd need to talk with my parents. At $2 a month, I could probably pay it off myself, $4 might be a little more of a stretch.

What payment methods would be available?

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:44 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I don't want to make any promises right now, but the most likely scenario for the time being is that the rate will be set at $2 a month or $20 a year initially; kind of like an introductory offer. I would then make the decision to raise it or keep it a few months later, depending on how everything goes.

Paypal will be used for payments, and Paypal can handle all credit cards or take the money right from your banking account.

I forget to do currency conversions, but it comes out to about 1 pound, AU$2.08, or CA$2.02 at US$2 a month. Double all that for US$4 a month.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:35 am
View Likes
ButterFlyInk says...

in no way would i pay, i really don't pay any attention to the ads to begin with. I'm here to write not to focus on ads. If it ended up where members had to pay a fee to be part of this site I would probably leave the site, which would be very upsetting for me cause I feel like this is a place where I finally belong. (not to be dramatic or anything)

but this only my opinion.

-Ink

P.s. Please don't make it a membership only kind of sites.
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:49 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

ButterFlyInk wrote:P.s. Please don't make it a membership only kind of sites.

I was concerned about this actually, but Nate made it clear in the mod forum that this would never become a paid membership sort of site. The only thing you would get is ad removal. That's it.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:54 am
View Likes
Clo says...

I would personally not pay... I have little expenses nipping me in the butt every other day anyway it seems, so it's really not too much for me to just ignore the ads.

Which I do now anyway.

Sorry. :(
How am I not myself?

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:55 am
View Likes
ButterFlyInk says...

I still wouldn't pay. End of story. (lol a pun)
I think there should be the option for users who want the ads gone and users who really don't care about the ads.
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:40 am
View Likes
.:Echelon:. says...

I NEED MY MONEY lol. I'm saving up to see 30 seconds to mars so no i wouldn't pay.
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:39 am
View Likes
jules4848 says...

my dad has a website so I see where your coming from with how much it can cost. Even still i would not pay. My parents would have to do it and i if there is an option of not paying they would say do that over paying. unless of course it was something where being a non paying member aloud you to do nothing

That wouldnt matter cause you said it was just for the ads. Overall I would say No I would not pay for the adds. Sry
Searching For An Explanations...
http://www.realityhitchhiker.blogspot.com/

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:14 pm
View Likes
idle muse says...

It's not a bad idea, but I personally would not pay. The ads just don't bother me enough. I accept £1 is a pretty low rate compared to some sites, but in my opinion it just isn't worth it.
Religion is the opium of the masses
- Karl Marx -
Democracy is the worst form of goverment, except for all the others that have been tried.
- Winston Churchill -

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:29 pm
View Likes
-Save-Ferris- says...

Doesn't really bother me to be honest.
“Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.”

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:20 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

I'd prefer to pay at $2, but $4 doesn't bother me either. I pay a lot more for a cellphone each month, and I'm almost certain we spend more on food every month so it doesn't seem like that bad of a fee. Although honestly, the $20 a year sounds really good! Considering $2/$4 will add up to more after a year.

Of course I'd pay just to help YWS. Just like everyone else, I don't really notice the ads. But I love YWS so I might as well help it somehow!

And yes, if anyone is worrying about a pay to be a member site, you should forget those thoughts altogether. Nate would never let that happen - I think he'd shut YWS down first if money became that tight.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:45 pm
View Likes
Monki says...

Well, on the poll I voted no, but I started really thinking about it, and now that I have a job, I don't have to ask my parents for money. So, I think I could spare $2 a month. Maybe even $4. So, just keep us updated on all of this. Really, the ads don't bother me, but less clutter on the screen sure would be nice.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:59 pm
View Likes
Bittersweet says...

Honestly, I think it's a little ridiculous. I mean, if they bug someone, then they should ignore it and accept that they are there. If they're going to make a huge deal about it, then they should just... I don't know, leave. I understand that it is to help the website, and I totally support that aspect, but truthfully, I don't feel like I'm obligated to help out in any other way except for participating and helping YWS grow without any type of money involved. ;)

Sorry, Nate. I just don't feel like getting rid of adds is important enough to pay money for. And I'm only thirteen and don't have a job or anything. I most certainly don't want my parents paying for anything like this. They give me clothes and food, and with that, I am content. Heh.
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

70 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 70
Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:09 pm
View Likes
Derek says...

The only way i would pay for it is if it came with something extra.
I'm not sure what exactly, but something or a few things extra,
and maybe bumb up the price abit.
Or you could have different things to pay for.
Example.

2-4 dollars(depend on what you choose) for ad removal.
5-10 or so for ad removal and something else.
and add a few more dollars each time you add something else.
Like a bronze, silver, and gold membership or something.
Like if you pay you get extra stuff.
A lot of website do things like mentioned above.
It's a good way to fund the site.

(Edit)
Also i put no on the poll.
But i will have a job soon, and would probably pay.
But not JUST for ad removal.
The adds don't bother me at all.

"My spelling is wobbly. It's good spelling, but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places."
— A.A. Milne