z

Young Writers Society

YWS Store?

If there was a YWS store, would you buy anything?

Yes!
29%
NO
20%
Maybe
51%

Total votes : 79

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:03 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Let us say that there is a YWS store...

First, what would you like in it? Obviously, there will be T-shirts and notebooks and pens, but what else?

Second, what logo would you like on the stuff? Right now, there are two logos: the one in the upper left hand corner of every page and the other in the center of the home page. Which one would you like on a T-shirt, notebook, etc? Or maybe neither and you would like something different.

Third, would you buy anything?

I am thinking of adding a YWS store for a couple reasons. One, a few members have requested there to be one. Two, the revenue from the google ads has been really disappointing (it's not even covering hosting costs anymore much less all the other money I've put into this site). Plus, I could give away real prizes, such as a YWS t-shirt, for contests if there was a store. And of course, all revenue generated from the store would go back into the site (there's a lot of stuff out there I would really like to buy for the site). But the big question is, would anyone buy anything? And depending on how much revenue is made from it, I could get rid of the google ads.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:24 am
View Likes
Shadow Knight says...

Well, I don't know what I'd want in it, problem is not a lot of people would be able to buy things.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:33 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I'm a little cheap, but giving a friend a hat who isn't a part of the site may persuade them to join.

How about selling special pencils? They are relatively inexpensive, can be mass produced, and act as an advertisement for the site. If you have too many, through them in as a complimentary gift with a purchase of $X or more.

If enough people here buy and distribute, the revenue might be self sufficent. The revenue will probably only break even with the cost of the site.

Perhaps you can make logos on the shirt like "Novice Writer" or "Senior Writer" on them for people who are increasing in rank.

Another feature: Master Critic, Art Critic, and Writing Critic could be made into t-shirt form.

Those are just a few ideas.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

172 Reviews

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:40 am
View Likes
Shadow Knight says...

YWS MOUSE PADS! He he, I need a new mouse pad, if I get one, may aswell be a YWS one.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:25 pm
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

I have no money yet I can find me ways.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:08 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

I am thinking of adding a YWS store for a couple reasons. One, a few members have requested there to be one. Two, the revenue from the google ads has been really disappointing (it's not even covering hosting costs anymore much less all the other money I've put into this site). Plus, I could give away real prizes, such as a YWS t-shirt, for contests if there was a store. And of course, all revenue generated from the store would go back into the site (there's a lot of stuff out there I would really like to buy for the site). But the big question is, would anyone buy anything? And depending on how much revenue is made from it, I could get rid of the google ads.

The only problem with me buying anything is the obviously expensive costs of sending it to a different country....

This applies to contests as well.

If you do T-shirts, please make them cool! White t-shirts with a small logo would make me cry.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:02 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Perhaps you can run an art contest to get super logos that would be awesome?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:12 pm
View Likes
-KayJuran- says...

i agree with fire, that may be a little tricky... but if there were hats or
something that would be cool! other thing is how would we pay? if it was
with cash i wouldnt mind (or possibly cheque) but i would prefer not to
have to use a card, and being the ages that we are, some of us don't
even have one...

172 Reviews

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:02 pm
View Likes
Shadow Knight says...

I 'had' one, but someone nicked my wallet the other week, actually I don't think i've had it cancelled yet, oh well, I don't keep my PIN number on me!
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:40 pm
View Likes
Zion says...

KayJuran wrote:i agree with fire, that may be a little tricky... but if there were hats or
something that would be cool! other thing is how would we pay? if it was
with cash i wouldnt mind (or possibly cheque) but i would prefer not to
have to use a card, and being the ages that we are, some of us don't
even have one...

Yes even though the majority of the members are Americans theres still a problem for "us" I mean if the pen costs 3 dollars ill have to pay 30 if maybe even more just for a pen. :P :oops: How about....YWS bikini ? :P :? ....thinks of the idea...woah.... lol j/k how about graphics, backgrounds, pens shirts and stuff. Or some badges and such. How about somehting like backpacks or thats rather expensive? Or mugs with YWS writer on it.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:57 pm
View Likes
writergirlstevie says...

Well That's a good Idea to have a YWS store but...

1: People might not want to give out their address to get the stuff sent to them

2: People might not want to wait for a pencil to come in the mail
(to me that sounds kinda funny I can see it now :: some kid or teen sitting infront of there house. Then a person comes along and ask "hey Kid, why are you waiting on the side walk?" Then Kid says, "I'm waiting for my pencil to arrive in the mail so I can write a story") LOL that would be FUNNY!!

but still that would be pretty cool...
away

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:18 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Jack brings up a good point about international costs. I've had some dreadful experiences getting stuff shipped to me from Europe... and I'm sure the same goes for shipping stuff from the United States to Europe. Unfortunately, the store I was thinking of using (cafepress) only accepts US currency, although it will ship internationally. I'll look around for something that accepts dollars and euros.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:12 am
Sam says...

It could work, as there's a lot of kids at school wearing t-shirts from different internet cartoons and things. :D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:59 pm
DarkerSarah says...

I am poor, and thus a YWS store would just make me sad.
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:11 pm
Rei says...

What about Canadian money, Nate? Or would I just have to buy a money order in American funds?
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes