z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Non-YWS Literary Site?

What Is Your Favorite Non-YWS Literary Site?

Writing.com
5%
NaNoWriMo.org
27%
Writersbeat.com
1%
WordTrip.com
No votes
Storytime with Pat Buchanan
28%
Other
39%

Total votes : 153

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:46 am
Nate says...

So other than YWS, what is your favorite literary web site?

There are tons, so if you put other, please say which one!

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:52 am
Leja says...

I must say, I'm a big fan of NaNoWriMo.org. My favorite part of that site is the section that indexes everyone who's knowledgeable about something (any of the stickied topics in this part of the forum).

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:54 am
Teague says...

NaNo's the only one I know, plus it's a huuuuuuugely helpful crash course in novel writing. :D
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:55 am
Emerson says...

Out of those? NaNo. But for writing tips, I really, really love Fiction Factor.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:07 am
Kylan says...

I'm just curious... I took a look at Writing.com and it looks like a good place to get some more critiques, as well as a wider reading audience. But do think it's worth my time? Is it a site equal to YWS's caliber?

Spam, sorry.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:12 am
She Writes says...

Suzanne wrote:Out of those? NaNo. But for writing tips, I really, really love Fiction Factor.

Till, I'm not so sure how to navigate through Fiction Factor ... it seems like it's "all-ads." I dont know, really.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:16 am
Snoink says...

A tiny forum called FGT. It's awesome, though slightly dead and exclusive. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:13 am
Nate says...

FGT is still around?

Writing.com is terrible. They are better now, but they've long since chased me away when they had ads everywhere on that site.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:16 am
Snoink says...

Slightly, though activity is... um.. slightly dead. But still! It has the first draft of FREAK and Unicorn Killers on it, so therefore it is automatically awesome. ^_^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:52 am
Alteran says...

I started out at Absolute Write Water Cooler

It's pretty massive and has a lot of older writers on there. Some published, some not. Pretty helpful. It was just really confusing after a while.

They have a great bewares and backgrounds check forum for authros to keep tabs on scams and help others find a legit publisher. They saved my butt a few times.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:00 pm
Sachiko says...

Fanfiction.net, and Seventhsanctum.com ^_^
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:31 pm
Twit says...

Fanfiction.net.

:mrgreen: And I don't care if you do slaughter me, it's good for getting started.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Sureal says...

I voted Writing.com, cos it's the only other one I use. However, it's really poor in comparison to YWS. Here's (some) of the reasons why:

1) You have to pay to get the most out of it. And it's expensive - I'd have thought it'd be around $5 for a year's upgraded membership. But it actually costs $10 for only three months Basic membership (that's the lowest paid-membership you can have, and is only a little better than the Free membership); meanwhile, the highest level of membership costs $1250 for a year. That's ... just not right.

2) The rating system. At first glance, the way in which your stories/poems can be rated seems really good. People give it a rating out of 5 (3 being average), and the piece's average score is worked out. Only problem is: pretty much everyone just rates everything a 4, making the system pretty much useless. And what's worse, a single, spiteful person can give your piece a rating of 1 (this has happened to me a couple of times) which will drag your average rating down.

3) A lot of the reviews are completely useless. And what's worse, some of them are less than useless - the advice you're given will actually make your story worse. I've had a number of people telling me to 'correct' something that is grammatically correct, and their 'corrections' would actually make the sentance grammatically incorrect. What's worse is when they also give your story a low rating because of the 'mistakes' you've made.
I wrote the above just for you.

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:55 am
piepiemann22 says...

YWS is the only site for me :D I've looked at a couple others, but this one is by far the best. Easy to use, everyone's friendly, and you can get a decent critique. GO YWS!
I will always fight back, no matter what.

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:38 am
whence says...

teenagewriters.com

I tried out writing.com and left in disgust.
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian