82%
The sword
18%

Total votes : 256

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:14 am
Nate says...

The pen or the sword? Answer the poll then tell us why! If you want to that is.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:45 am
Snoink says...

I remember I read a cartoon once that one society was going to give another, less modern society a chance of what gift they wanted to have bestowed onto them. They cold either have all the gold and riches they could ever need, or they could have a bunch of scholars teach them how to read. They chose the former.

Now, battles have been fought and lost for millenia. Sometimes those battles last for a long time, sometimes they don't, but compared to the pen, they're just fleeting moments in history. One of the biggest historical figures didn't carry a sword and, if no one wrote about him he would probably go unnoticed. So who cares if he was a peaceful man who shook an era and who was a rebel at heart who wasn't afraid to fight? Many generals shake eras, many generals are not afraid to fight. Alexander the Great comes to mind. But even Alexander the Great can even stand up to the peaceful man just because so many people wrote about this man. So many people talked about him, communicated in some forms or another, wrote and because of this writing, this peaceful man has stirred up history and even affects my life today. Alexander the Great doesn't do that for me. Jesus Christ does.

The sword is temporary, the pen stays around forever.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:52 am
Emma says...

The pen is more mighter!!

Don't dis the pen... The pen is kool...

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:50 am
View Likes
Shadow Knight says...

The pen and sword are just as mighty, you can stab someone with both of them :P
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:22 pm
Firestarter says...

The pen, because as someone has already said, the pen has an infinite lifetime, while the sword can only be mighty for a limited amount of time.

Here's an example. Julius Caesar, a great historic figure, was a writer, a historian, a General and quite a lot of other things. When on his foreign campaigns, he kept close notes about his tactics in battle and notes about what was happening at the time in the world. He used his pen to record everyhting, and he usd his "sword" (loose term - his army used swords) to win him battles, which eventually led him on the way to become the Ruler of Rome. Of course, ironically, he was then stabbed to death. His works are still alive, Napoleon, another great General, carried them round with him, and his history notes have been a great help for mdoer-day historains in recording Roman history.
His legacy, fuelled by the sword, died with the rest of the Roman Empire. Of course, there are still remnants of it (the old Czars in Europe coming from the word Caesar) but in general his writing has lasted longer.

Therefore, the pen is mightier because it cannot be stamped down as easily as the sword.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

154 Reviews

Reviews: 154
Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:37 pm
Armadian says...

Pens ad a dab of color to pen and stab fights
Last edited by Armadian on Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How can you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist...

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:37 pm
View Likes
Nai says...

Well, I use the pen, but I believe the sword is mightier.

The sword is tough, it's enduring and it's used for right or for wrong.

The pen is small, but it is quick and symbolises wit and intelligence...but eventually the pen runs out ink.
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:40 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

On a note about Caesar, a big part of the reason he became so popular in Rome (though certainly not with all Romans) was because of his books on the Gallic Wars. The campaigns and victories helped a lot, but if he had not written about them, it is doubtful he would've ever become dictator of Rome. The Gallic Wars books back then were kind of like the Harry Potter series today (in terms of popularity).

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:38 pm
Sam says...

We're all biased.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:25 pm
Writersdomain says...

I definitely think the pen is more mighty.
If you want to make someoen believe you, the pen would probably be more effective. For fighting, the pen is strong because it persuades people without killing or threatening them. Words acan devastate or inspire and have many uses. Whereas, the sword is mostly used for killing or threatening. I am a major fan of medieval times and swords, but I believe the pen is more powerful.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:34 pm
Harley says...

I agree with Sam.

172 Reviews

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:23 am
Shadow Knight says...

But you can break a pen, it also runs out of ink. You can break a sword too, but that can be repaired, and it's harder. The sword gets blunt, but can be sharpened.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:48 am
Elelel says...

Most people are looking at it from to big a scope. See, you're looking at it through history and nation vs nation. Let's try person vs person. Sure, if one person writes something down it can last forever (or as close as possible) but the guy with the sword can just chop the guy with the pen before they get to write anything. Or, the sword guy could chop the pen guy afterward then continue to destroy the writing.
It's like in this book Monsterous Regiment by Terry Pratchett:
"Let's put it this way, you've heard that the pen is mightier than the sword?"
"Of course."
"Do you want to try it out?"

It's just how you look at it. If you look at it all romantically, pen wins. If you look at it practically, sword wins.
So, I don't think I can vote under that basis.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

172 Reviews

Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:32 am
Shadow Knight says...

I'm in complete agreement with Eloere
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:01 am
Midnight says...

Swords are more expensive but it is cheap to buy a new pen.

Plus it is the pen that writes the instructions about how to make the sword :p
available

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
— Jules de Gaultier