3%
Other
12%

Total votes : 353

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:26 am
Shafter says...

I was four-- I read "King Bidgood's in the Bathtub," a book I still enjoy. :D I could even read the word "masquerade."
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:39 am
Poor Imp says...

Oy, 'twas other. ^_^ I could read before the age I've got in my mind, but I didn't really make any connections--or care to--until I was nine.

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:44 am
Areida says...

Whoa, guys, we have a LOT of people who started reading at three and four! That must explain why we're all so literary today. ;)

I love hearing y'all's first books too - some of those were my favorites. The Clifford books, Amelia Bedelia, Goodnight Moon, The Poky Little Puppy...

I voted three, but I'm not really sure. That's what my parents have told me anyway (I was the first one out of all their daughters, haha :P). I've loved books since I was born pretty much, and starting when I was about two, I'd ask my mom for "those books without the pictures" and go through her medical texts and just look at the words. My dad said the best part about me reading early was watching me read the comics at three years old and laugh, because I actually got the jokes.

What a little nerd. :P
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:20 am
Sohini says...

My first "reading" would be at six when I first read a good, lengthy novel (abridged of course) "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn".

Before that, all I read was short stories having lots of pictures and a moral at the end, before that, my graany and my mom read me lots of stories, mostly Bengali fairy / folk tales.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:26 pm
Leja says...

At age four, I started reading things like Eric Carl books, and Disney stories with lots of pictures ^_^

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:12 am
Sachiko says...

Hmmm. I began reading at about four, i believe. I can't really remember my first book, but the first book I remember reading was a book about a pet cat who belonged to a dog. It was like a dog's world.... Now that I think about it, that's kinda weird.

Sachiko
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

Random avatar

Reviews: 125
Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:39 am
SASSYLADY333 says...

I started at three I suppose. My first book was a childrens book...I think it some really old Disney one lol. But I finished my first chapter book in the fourth grade it was called Shoe Bag by Mary Jones. Most other books I could never finish...since then I've read many novels and that translated into writing. :).

p.s. That's a cute story huh?
"Show us, don't tell us!" They say, but sadly I realize I'm a storyteller. When I cross over and accept maturity, when I want to change then maybe I'll be willing to show people my prose and not tell them. As a writer I have to grow. :)

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:56 pm
Fand says...

I was three, and it was called Mip and Mop. It was one of those "see Spot run" sort of books, but involved a cat and dog who were best friends; the dog lost his glasses, I believe, so they had to go find the owl and ask him where they should look. Or something like that. I still have it. =)
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:23 pm
Incandescence says...

I remember we all had to read Dr. Seuss books when I was two at this private school I went to, but the first book I really "remember" reading is Jack London's Call of the Wild when I was four.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:37 pm
alleycat13 says...

I picked four. I am told by my parents that at three years old they thought I could read, but then they saw me "reading" with the book upside down and realized I wasn't that special. So, I think it was four.

My first book was probably...oh I don't know.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:03 pm
Ryter says...

I was two, but I had to put down Other.
I'm wierd like that. Ah well. You get used to it.
You want to know how to be intelligent? Simple. Go buy a thesaurus. You're already smart, believe it or not. Now you just have to sound the part too.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:15 am
Lynlyn says...

I started reading when I was three years old - I don't remember what the first book was, and neither do my parents. I'm guessing it was probably one of those Postman Pat picture books or something of the like. Maybe Dr. Seuss, though my mother says I always thought they were a little creepy.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:51 am
Aet Lindling says...

Hmph. :( "Other" just isn't the same...
dun worry
it's all gun be k

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:08 pm
Tessitore says...

Four! *fist pump*

First book I remember reading was an illustrated copy of 'Beauty and the Best'.

...that story has always kind of stuck with me...
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:28 am
HurricaneEmily says...

Um, I taught myself to read before or at the beginning of preschool, so I was like four. I'm not sure what my first book was, but I think it was some Christian phonics book... I remember a picture of a girl with a criss-cross band-aid. I thought it was so cool.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
— Arthur O'Shaughnessy