z

Young Writers Society

Which printing format do you prefer?

What printing format do you prefer in books?

Hardback
44%
Paperback
48%
Centuries old scraps of paper
4%
E-book
1%
Pat Buchanan
4%

Total votes : 282

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:53 pm
View Likes
TellATaleForTwo says...

Depends on what im reading. Grisham? Patterson? Stephan King? Has to be hardcover, for me its part of the effect.

But like Becki said, you can't beat a book that can fit in your purse! :D
"Theoretically, if you go to the past in the future, then your future lies in the past. This is a picture of you in the future - in the past."

~Kate and Leopold

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:00 am
View Likes
bubblewrapped says...

I'm with Mesh (two pages out, but whatever). I go with hardcovers for library books, and for my collection (since these are generaly really old first editions and only come in hardcover). They're easier to read (i.e. not falling apart) and last longer, plus I adore cover art. At the same time, there's nothing like a well-read paperback for some really ... comfy reading, if you know what I mean. And I'm another one in love with old books. I'd have gone for the scraps-of-paper option only (1) No patience and (2) sadly none of my books are QUITE that old...yet... ;) If I really love a book, I tend to try to get a hardbound, signed collectable copy XD Because I'm obsessive like that.

Overall, though, I just love books in virtually any shape or form. Except e-books. They suck.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:38 am
View Likes
tinny says...

I've always prefered paperback; with hardback books I get paranoid about damaging them, whereas with paperbacks their softer and not as heavy, and generally cheaper so if one gets totally destroyed it's easier to buy another XD
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:11 pm
View Likes
ATragicLoveStory says...

I prefer paperback books over any other because whenever I read hardcover books, the jacket falls off somehow and I end up taking it off, plus they're heavier. As for old books, they're okay. And E-books, I've never tried reading them, but I'd probably end up getting headaches from staring at the screen. Even though, sometimes I get headaches from just reading a book for a long time. I voted for paperbacks though.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:00 pm
View Likes
Poltergiest says...

i would usually pick paperback over harback but now that its summer I don't have to go to school, so bring on the hardback! :D

~Pol
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:20 pm
View Likes
Cpt. Smurf says...

Paperback - easier to use when travelling.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:23 pm
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

Haha, I seems no one likes e-books...they are rather annoying, though. :lol:

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:18 pm
View Likes
Wiggy says...

I had to choose hardback because (1.) the covers are soooo smooth!!! and (2.) they last longer. I love paperback, too, but most of my books are hardback, I believe. Who knows-I have a great mixture, though!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:52 pm
Teague says...

Pat Buchanan. He has a hard back, doesn't he? And he's old.

Three-for-one deal, if you ask me.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:47 am
View Likes
Addie says...

I prefer hardback books because I think they look nicer, for one. They generally last longer, too. I can't always buy the hardback copy of a book I want because they can be so expensive. I don't like dust jackets, either. I like to take it off if the book has one.
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic.
Joseph Stalin (1879 - 1953)

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:05 am
View Likes
chocoholic says...

I like hardback and paperback, but paperback is cheaper, so I like it more.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm
View Likes
logosgal says...

I voted for paperback. My absolute favorite are those old-ish paperbacks from the time when my parents were kids that have pages that are going a bit yellow and are maybe just starting to fall apart a bit. The pages have this really cool texture to them and they usually have stories that are most definately worth reading. :D Plus, paperbacks are easier to carry and hold on to when you're just sitting around somewhere, whereas with hardbacks, it's nice to have a table or desk to rest them on. :roll: And thos dust jacket thingies on hardbacks? Aren't they supposed to protect the actual book? Mine usually get torn up and don't help much. I usually take them off pretty quickly to protect the dust jacket from me. They can make good bookmarks if you leave them on, though. :wink:

Poltergiest wrote:Ok, I have to get this out, who is this Pat guy?

ELven-Maiden wrote:and wtf is with Pat Buchman? lol He's everywhere, haunting me!

I think people were talking about that in the "Goodnight..." poll.
Home is where the books are.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:53 pm
View Likes
JC says...

Paperback. It's just...better. lol. Much more convinent. But if there's a book I love and can't wait for...I'll get the hardback version of it.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

195 Reviews

Reviews: 195
Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:01 pm
PsychicNinja says...

Paperback all the way, man!!
Hardcover is good too, but just a tad expensive!

~Timea
"Look, Ma. No hands"
"You haven't got a ma."
"Maybe a nice old lady will adopt me. I'm very loveable."
―Fi and Darman

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:43 pm
View Likes
Sarahcat210 says...

It really depends with me. I think I can go either way. I voted paperback though.

SC
One day, one night, one moment
My dreams could be tomorrow

Look, a good poem is a poem that exists. Any poem you write is better than the poem you don't.
— WeepingWisteria