z

Young Writers Society

Which printing format do you prefer?

What printing format do you prefer in books?

Hardback
44%
Paperback
48%
Centuries old scraps of paper
4%
E-book
1%
Pat Buchanan
4%

Total votes : 282

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:49 am
Firestarter says...

What do you prefer when you buy/loan/read books?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:41 am
Ofour says...

Paperback; hardback gets annoying with the paper cover always slipping, and Pat Buchanan tries to kill you while you're reading. I've never tried to read an E-book but know it would give me a headache, and old paper?
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:43 am
Saphira says...

I prefer HArdback. I find it easier to read as paerbacks always bend. I have tried reading e-books before and i get a headache.
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:04 am
Royboy says...

I said Paperback, only because paperback is what's usually available and more convinient in more ways than one. I would have chosen centuries of old scrap paper if it weren't for the fact that only one of my books has ever been in that condition. The pages were so soft...
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:09 am
Rydia says...

Yeah, I think paperbacks are the best and most of my collection are in that format.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:11 am
Shadowsun says...

Hardback every time for me. They just last longer than paperback ones and the spine doesn't get ruined on them.

~ Shadowsun :D
Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Then who cares? You're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:40 pm
Writersdomain says...

I prefer paperback, though I like the larger paperback editions book stores are selling now. They are so much easier to read. Anyways, it's hard to fit hardbacks in my backpack or purse, so I'm all for paperbacks (though I like buying hardback editions of my favorite books. :P )
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:51 pm
Emerson says...

How can you ask me this? I'm so picky over my books!

Hardbacks usually irritate me, because I end up ruining/loosing/throwing away the jackets. Then they're not as cool.

I tend to buy paperbacks, but only because hard back jackets bother me. But paperbacks get ruins so easily, depending on the type of material used to print the actual cover, whether it was cheap or not. [See! I'm picky.]

But, I really love old books ^_^ I have a few, and I need more. I hardly read them, honestly, but I love old books. Yes, I'm one of those people that sniffs the inside of their books because they like the way old books [and new books, too] smell.

Looking at my book shelf though, it's obvious that I buy paperback.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:45 pm
Lynlyn says...

It depends. I like to own hardbacks of my favorite books so that I know they'll last, and I don't have to worry about the spine getting stretched, et cetera. Paperbacks win for value, though, and they're much easier to carry around.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:51 pm
Sam says...

I usually have hardback, because that's what's on the shelf at Barnes and Noble- at least, for the new things.

But! I voted for old, scrap-like books. I like the ancient books much better- there's a lot more at stake with a good read in them. I have a bunch of books from the Victorian era, and they're not exactly great stories [all preachy and bleah] but I love the writing style, and I love the illustrations. It's all about the society that wrote them.

I have a book from the Civil War, too- it's sort of like an elongated version of that "Goofus and Gallant" column in the Highlights magazine (come on, who didn't read that when they were eight?), except with a cooler style. And the engravings are hilarious.

Something like "Mr. Bean Meets a Gentleman", I think. I'll try and go find it. It's in not-so-great condition, though, and the spine's nearly fallen off. Oh, well. It's been a hundred and fity years, and it's tired. XD

Probably it's because I have shelves full of new books- the old ones are a lot rarer and more special.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:37 pm
scrambled_pages says...

I usually go with paperback, there are several reasons for this; mainly the cost doesn’t hurt my wallet quite so much, and they can be brought almost anywhere without too much inconvenience. With paperbacks I can definitely see how durability could be an issue, but I have yet to run a book straight into the ground *knocks on wood, yes, I found actual wood to knock on*, and I just can’t let it bother me when the spines and corners of my books show use, it doesn’t change what is written inside…

I haven’t read an e-book *plans to look into that* and centuries old books, I am so jealous! I haven’t come across any, though I admit I haven’t put all that much effort into looking.

Anyway, all that to say that – for me – its paperbacks all the way. :D
-Gen
"There is no happiness in love, except at the end of an English novel."
-Anthony Trollope

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:48 pm
Poor Imp says...

Hardbound.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Black Ghost says...

Hardback. I just love the jackets.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:12 pm
Leja says...

paperback, of course. I can't hold a hardcover book open in one hand for long periods of time: the cover's too heavy and it doesn't bend. It also seems like the font inside is larger and spaced farther apart on top of already wide margins. A waste of paper in my opinion.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:13 pm
Meshugenah says...

For library books, hardback all the way. For my own? It depends. Sometimes I can't get them in paperback... but I love paperbacks. They fit in my purse!

But mostly? I just love books. Used, new, hardback, paperback, old, falling apart (ok, maybe not so much, bu used, yes! Where else could I get a hardback copy of anything for a dollar? :D)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield