z

Young Writers Society

New Features

What feature would you like to see added?

Points Store
24%
Story and Poem Ratings
35%
Earn points for recommending a friend
4%
YWS Store
4%
YWS Arcade Room
15%
YWS Greeting Cards
4%
YWS 3.0
6%
Pat Buchanan's Dream House
9%

Total votes : 54

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:16 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

So what would you like to see added to YWS? Note that none of these will be added to at least March.

An explanation for the poll choices is in order though:
- Points store: In the future, we may make it such that Member of the Month is based purely on the whims and capricious nature of the Big Brother group, so points would be unnecessary. But, we could have a points store where you spend your points to get access to specific board features. Some of these features would include, although certainly not limited to, bidclick system similiar to writing.com where you can spend your points to feature a story or poem of yours on the front page (five works would be listed), special avatars, the ability to "marry" another member (suggested by Incandescence, although I'm pretty sure he never actually expected me to add this as an option in the points store), and much more (and I mean much more! Just can't divulge everything yet...).

- Story and poem ratings. You could rate a story or poem using the five star method; this way, an author could get a barometer of how much people liked their piece rather than just going by reviews.

- Earn points for recommending a friend

- YWS store with YWS merchandise such as t-shirts, mugs, and notebooks. All profits made from the merchandise would go to the website and making it even better (note that this will probably not be added until we hit substantially more members, but I'd be interested on what people think about it).

- YWS Arcade room. The arcade room would be host to old time games such as pac-man and the like, although I would try to get some games appropiate for a young writers website (like Winnie the Pooh does Hollywood or GTA, or rather, crossword puzzles, word games, chess, and checkers). If this gets added (it's future is doubtful since this is a writing website), I would try to come up with a way where YWS members could play each other in some of these games (like chess and checkers).

- YWS greeting cards; send greeting cards online (probably would have pictures of famous writers on the card complete with corny line)

- YWS 3.0 (haha, just kidding)

- Pat Buchanan. It's kind of self-explanatory, but if you would like to see Pat Buchanan added to the site complete with accessories and the Pat Buchanan dream house, choose this option.

Well there you have it; a short list of features I'm thinking about adding. Remember that none of these will be added until at least March, and some may not be added for months to come and depend largely on how much YWS grows. But, I want to hear your input and which features you like the most. If you don't like any, choose Pat Buchanan!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:40 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Story and Poem ratings, definitely. That would be just great.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:52 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

I like the rating system idea, but I voted points store because than the points would actually be worth something. Now it's like trying to use (obviously fake) paper money as legal tender. It doesn't feel like it's worth a whole lot. I mean sure it's used to choose Member of the Month, but I'm really active and don't have a lot of points. Of course, this is probably due to the fact I mainly post in the Lounge and such, but still.

EDIT: Now that everyone else has asked, I might as well say it: WHO THE HELL IS PAT BUCHANAN!?!?!?!?!? I've been meaning to ask since the last poll that had him as an option (on blogs, I think) but I didn't want to sound stupid for not knowing.
Last edited by niteowl on Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:56 pm
View Likes
Matt Bellamy says...

Who is Pat Buchanan?!

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:47 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

poem and story ratings would be kind of stupid, since you already can rate them in critiques. I sometimes do it. :D I agree with niteowl-the points store would be really cool/
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:18 pm
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

Points store, definetely. Since you've been talking about it in the mod board it just looks so cool.

And whos is Pat Buchanan anyway?
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:42 am
View Likes
Brian says...

I like the idea of the Pat Buchanan dream house. Does it come complete with flame throwers to keep out the immigrants?

I actually rather like the idea of a points store, provided that there is enough "stocked" in it so that you never run out of stuff to spend your points on. If it's done correctly, which I'm sure it will be, it would really encourage reviews.
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:45 pm
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

WHOS PAT BUCHANAN!?

And yes, the Points Store I think is the best thing, too. And I do think that stuff will never have to get restocked, but I will have to ask Nate.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:01 am
View Likes
Tara says...

Nate, WHO IS THIS PAT BUCHANAN? (As was said before me)

683 Reviews

Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:28 am
View Likes
Emma says...

Its Postman PAT, DONT MESS WITH POSTMAN PAT. HE'S GOT DOLL HOUSES!!! :P

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:53 pm
View Likes
hekategirl says...

Points store, I totally go for points store. I want points store!!!
And WHO IS THIS MYTERIOUS PAT BUCHANAN!!!!!!
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:43 am
View Likes
Tara says...

Emma wrote:Its Postman PAT, DONT MESS WITH POSTMAN PAT. HE'S GOT DOLL HOUSES!!! :P

~*gasp*~ really? I guess I should stay out of his way, then!

One question...with WHAT would you buy points?
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

683 Reviews

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:46 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Points will continue to be earned the same way, but you'll be able to spend them to buy stuff in the points store; stuff like advanced user features.

Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door.
— Kyle Chandler