z

Young Writers Society

Best Type of Music to Write To

The Best Type of Music to Write to is...

Classic Rock
11%
Country
4%
Hip-Hop/Rap
7%
Instrumental
39%
Jazz
5%
Pop
3%
R&B/Soul
2%
Other
29%

Total votes : 262

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:02 am
View Likes
Remington38 says...

I am more of an indie alternative and alternative rock kinda girl.
Proud Reader of Banned Books

Answer to life, the universe, and everything: 42

Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.
Cesar Cruiz

Pluviophile- a lover of rain; someone who finds joy/peace of mind on rainy days.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:56 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Instrumental so I don't sing along instead of writing buuuuuuuuuuut it also can't be a piece I'm tooooo attached to or I'll stop writing to listen.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:39 am
View Likes
herbgirl says...

i usually don't listen to any music when writing, i get distracted, but when i do it's Americana. The sound and the lyrics are oftentimes so compelling and intricate i feel inspired to write.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:35 am
View Likes
Rurouni says...

Where's the heavy metal option?!
Heavy metal, or fun pop music, but classic rock too.
Cookies!

Reviews: 1
Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:55 pm
EDragon1st says...

I love to listen to classical piano music as I write. My favorite piece has got to be Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2. Sometimes I try to to match the notes and rhythm to the amount of letters I type. I have a lot of fun at the end when it starts to speed up a bit.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:13 am
NafaKitty says...

I tend to listen to either classical or rock music when I write, depending on what mood I want the scene to be.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:47 pm
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

Why is there no folk or bluegrass option. There should be a folk or bluegrass option. Y'all dun goofed.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:47 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

@Kyllorac gave me the weirdest advice a few years ago.

He said that when listening to something lyrical is should be something that contradicts the mood of scene you're writing. Because sometimes you might feel like the scene is conveying the right emotions but it's probably because of the feels you're getting from the music, but if you listen to something that contradicts the mood then you can avoid tricking yourself.

I tried it and it had some awesome effects on my writing. I found, oddly enough, it helped to make my characters and their emotions more realistic, I guess because I had to find reasons for them to occur and to focus on them.

So now sometimes I revert to stuff that has strong lyrics just for that.
We were born to be amazing.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:36 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

I listen to classical music or music without lyrics. I think it's better to not be distracted by what you're listening to and to focus on what you are writing.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:50 pm
Zolen says...

I have the game music from dragon age playing in the background most of the time.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:05 pm
EmmVeePi says...

I selected 'Other'. I personally enjoy listening to metal, rock, or rock-ish folk but with the clause that it be in a language I dont speak. For example two of my favorites to write to are Oomph!(Deutsch) and Valravn(Dansk). This way I have the music and even the vocals to help keep the creative juices flowing but dont get distracted by lyrics.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:24 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Tenyo wrote:@Kyllorac gave me the weirdest advice a few years ago.

He said that when listening to something lyrical is should be something that contradicts the mood of scene you're writing. Because sometimes you might feel like the scene is conveying the right emotions but it's probably because of the feels you're getting from the music, but if you listen to something that contradicts the mood then you can avoid tricking yourself.

I tried it and it had some awesome effects on my writing. I found, oddly enough, it helped to make my characters and their emotions more realistic, I guess because I had to find reasons for them to occur and to focus on them.

So now sometimes I revert to stuff that has strong lyrics just for that.

The irony of this advice is that I don't even listen to music while writing.

I do listen to it while revising for the above-mentioned reason, though.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:30 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

I tried listening to essentially every genre of music to see what style brought out my best writing. In the end, the only genre I could write to without being distracted was instrumental, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has this experience. With lyrical music, I end up listening to the lyrics (because I'm a writer! - words are everything). There's a powerful story inside the music, and lyrics are like poetry encompassed by music.

Even then, I am still distracted. I think if I was in a round room empty of everything but a laptop computer, without WiFi or a wireless signal of any kind, I would still find some way of distracting myself. Lol
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:54 pm
SacredPen says...

Personally, I prefer Drum n Bass or some form of Metal for focus. I don't know why, but I suppose trying to avoid interpreting the soft themes of other genres is a little easier on my conscience.
"Why do I need money to live? Can't I just, like, photosynthesize or something?"

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:00 pm
Gravity says...

May I just point out something that is horribly ironic? Pop is short for popular music and is meant to cater to the general masses, but it is one of the lowest rated genres on YWS XD XD
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
— Mark Twain