z

Young Writers Society

Best Type of Music to Write To

The Best Type of Music to Write to is...

Classic Rock
11%
Country
4%
Hip-Hop/Rap
7%
Instrumental
39%
Jazz
5%
Pop
3%
R&B/Soul
2%
Other
29%

Total votes : 262

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:36 am
Iggy says...

Pretty self-explanatory! What did you pick and why? :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:50 am
View Likes
Dest says...

For me, I write better to instrumentals. If I'm listening to a song with words, I focus more on the lyrics than my story.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:50 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Instrumental is my favorite music to write to because lyrics and voices have a greater tendency to distract me from my writing, as they're often louder and harder to ignore. Instrumental sounds tend to fade into the background, where their style and pacing can energize me and satisfy my love of music (too, I am an amateur pianist, although other instruments interest me heavily). They also do a good job of drowning out my surroundings and capturing a wide variety of moods that I can convey in my writing. So, I find those are easily the best type of music to write to. :D
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:54 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

It doesn't really matter for me! I just end up tuning it out and not listening anyway, so the type of music becomes irrelevant pretty quickly :P
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:55 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Gonna echo Fox and Dest with the Instrumental deal! It may not always be instrumental insofar as classical, though that plays a heavy part in worldbuilding and generating/focusing thoughts for new and unrefined ideas. Sometimes there's just a song with a good beat that keeps my fight on tempo that I listen to with the words stripped out.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:58 am
View Likes
Audy says...

Oh man, Amadeus and other string quartets are like my ultimate writing muse.

phpBB [media]

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

It's hard for me not to jump on classic rock! as an option for something because I love it so much. But knowing me, if I tune into my favorite, self-constructed Pandora station of classic/folk rock while attempting to write, I'll just end up typing the lyrics on accident as I sing them.

Classical's the best for this. Movie soundtracks, specifically.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:20 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Silence!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:04 am
View Likes
Alpha says...

Apocalyptica. Cello metal band, haha. I love original soundtracks that you can only find on YouTube that are titled something like 60 Minutes of Epic Symphonic Metal Music (Dark and Witchy); it's pretty cute. That kind of music is great for writing for me.

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:32 am
View Likes
Virgil says...

I picked Other since I listen to a bunch of different stuff when I'm writing. I do poetry so it's usually softer stuff whether it be with instrumentals or vocals. It only really distracts me or bothers me when its really loud or when I can't pay attention to the thing I'm writing. I listen to more quiet or sad things just to get into the mood but when I'm really in the zone I kind of just ignore the music I'm listening to and let it play in the background.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 am
View Likes
Mea says...

Almost everything I regularly listen to is instrumental anyway, so I suppose it's not particularly surprising that what I listen to while writing is instrumental, too.

Something I will do is try to get the right song to fit the mood if it's a particularly intense scene. Like, I love listening to epic battle music when I'm writing an epic battle - it's how I wrote the climax to my first novel. A two-hour epic Celtic music video on Youtube, and then I just wrote away.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:02 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

I only picked other since I listen to Instrumental, Jazz, choral and A Capella music when I write. I'll also throw in certain rock music as well (well, rock with classical twists, like the 2Cellos, or Guns, Drums and Steel, etc) So yeah...

I really don't mind what I listen to, since when I write I tend to mute/muffle out everything else around me, but music helps stimulate my thoughts and connect the strands of ideas that would otherwise just be drifting around in the chaos that is my head.

But I prefer Instrumental and choral music over other music usually (mostly because I'm a fantasy writer, and this music helps set the mood)
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:14 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

I find Classic Rock to be the best. But before you jump on this opinion and I fall into the abyss of embarrassment, read the following.
Spoiler! :
You all are probably writing beautiful poetry and deep novels that seem simple on the surface but are in fact about some war or controversy or something. (and for that you are great people.) For purposes like that, I'm sure classical music is great. But I don't write like that. Rock music plays a very big role in my novel as well as classic country. So for my writing tastes, which aren't great, I wouldn't be able to follow classical music while trying to write about the invasion of aliens from one place to another.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:34 pm
micamouth says...

Usually it'll be instrumental math rock, some alt-folk. I try to listen to things where the lyrics aren't too strong first, but once I'm really into whatever I'm writing I'll get into the heavier stuff.
formerly Sagitta

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

My favorite playlist for when I'm doing coding or writing something is the Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross soundtrack for The Social Network. It's great!

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest