z

Young Writers Society

What do you think of required summer reading?

Required summer reading is...

Awesome
24%
Good, but...
24%
Meh
16%
Bad, but...
6%
Terrible
10%
Pat Buchanan
20%

Total votes : 297

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:23 am
View Likes
Big Brother says...

Until you get to the college or university level, you're probably required to read a certain number of books during the summer. You may be given just a few that you must read, or you may be allowed to choose from a long list. Either way, do you believe required summer reading is good or bad?

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:39 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

Voting Pat Buchanan on this one.
(I've never had required summer reading, though...)
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:43 am
View Likes
BlueLitMoon says...

Summer reading is good, because it helps you to keep with it. :D
“...Despite the mayhem that followed, Bruno found that he was still holding Shmuel's hand in his own and nothing in the world would have persuaded him to let go.”

― John Boyne, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:10 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

I love to read, don't get me wrong, but I usually end up hating the required books simply because they're required and we have to take notes on them or whatever. I had two required reading books last year. The first one I started 3 days before school started. The second, I still haven't finished...
And last summer I read like 50 books or something. >.>
Just not those ones.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:16 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

I volunteer at the children's library, where there is summer reading, but not necessarily required summer reading. Every grade in our town has a suggested list of books that the children can read, but again, that's not required. We have a children's summer reading program which encourages them to read everyday(any book of their choice). If they read everyday they get a sticker and prize.I really like this system.

I read summer books assigned by teachers, and I had no problem with them.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:18 pm
Mea says...

I usually don't mind it. I already read a lot over the summer, and since I usually like the books I read for English so I'm happy to read them. I hate it when we also have to write an essay on them, though. That's just unfair.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:21 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

Usually required summer reading gives me books that are really boring and ugh. I like to read my own books, the kind I like. Stuff like Sci-Fi or Fanfiction or Fantasy... :)
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:50 pm
ExOmelas says...

Good, but sometimes you just want to sit down and read a book about a boy called Dax who turns into a fox and his friend Gideon who levitates things.

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:51 pm
Swiftfurthewarrior says...

Good but...
Forcing someone to read usually doesn't work. Same thing with writing.
If you are forced to do the things you enjoy, it takes the fun out of it.
Hi
Spoiler! :
Yes, I know I need a signature.

An author paints with words, an artist writes with paint.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:26 pm
Auxiira says...

Never had to do it.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:50 pm
fantasydragon01 says...

VERY IMPORTANT! YOU HAVE TO READ DURING THE SUMMER. IT IS A MUST!
"Many that live deserve death and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?"----Gandalf

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:59 pm
Duncan says...

We don't have required summer reading in English, but we do have Chinese reading reports required to do during the summer. The book list is full of incredibly dull and boring books though...
Dip your memory in the evening, and the rings will spread. And they spread to who knows how far away... -Ripple Effect

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:08 pm
Lavvie says...

Begone.

I am grateful that I will not have to do it any time soon again. I'm with @Widdershins.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:17 pm
niteowl says...

I don't think I ever had required summer reading lists. I know certain AP classes (English and US History) had associated summer reading, but I never took them.

Before entering college, I got a free copy of the "One Book, One Community" book of the year and it was suggested that we should read it and the book would be used in certain freshman classes. I read it, but it was never used for any of my classes. I went to a large university in a science-focused program, so I don't know if other classes used it.

I don't like the idea of required reading lists. It takes the joy out of reading. I think a better approach would be something like what Pretzelsing described, where there are suggested books for each grade in a variety of genres. That way, the student could read challenging books that still match their interests. This could be coupled with library summer reading programs.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:30 pm
View Likes
Konijn says...

Don't get me wrong, I love reading, and I do quite a lot of it, but I hate it when I am forced to read certain books.

For in everything it is no easy task to find the middle ... anyone can get angry—that is easy—or give or spend money; but to do this to the right person, to the right extent, at the right time, with the right motive, and in the right way, that is not for everyone, nor is it easy; wherefore goodness is both rare and laudable and noble.
— Aristotle