7%
Other
9%

Total votes : 237

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:35 am
Nate says...

I'm kind of surprised I've never done this (although maybe I did and just forgot), so here's a poll asking why you write.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:38 am
WarthogDemon says...

It's fun. Helps me figure things out. And if I can't figure it out, I can make it up.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:53 am
David Guinness says...

Whilst writing, I can express myself whilst having fun whilst spiting Pat Buchanan.
David Guinness

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:11 am
Wiggy says...

If I stop, I WILL die. It's really a mix of all of those reasons, especially expressing myself. But it's the truth-I stop, I die.

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:50 am
Myth says...

I write because it is such fun, I like to have new ideas and because I get to be the boss.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:02 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

It's mostly a form of expression. I have always loved a good story, and once I actually started writing myself, I wanted to write unique, interesting, and hopefuly engrosssing reads. I try to delve into human emotion as best I can, to make my worlds and stories as believable as possible. It's, actually something that is a little tricky for me to truly explain.

That, and it is fun. I love coming up with new ideas (I likely have too many to ever flesh them all out). And, well, yeah. I guess that's all I can really say.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:36 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

You know, I haven't really thought about it until now. I chose the 'express myself' option, but I had to think a bit first. If a lack of writing caused me to die I would have been dead a long time ago, so that couldn't be it. Spiting Pat Buchanan is part of everything I do, so I can't call that a reason for writing. It isn't fun; the act of writing is ugly and aggravating, but the feeling of having written is to feel like the greatest thing in existence.

Upon second thought, I write for the joy of creation. There is no doubt in my mind that if I could draw or paint I wouldn't be a writer, because I'd get all of the pride in creation, but without the smallest trace of paperwork. I hate paperwork.

Upon thinking about it more, I could give thousands of reasons. However, none of these reasons can be explained in a post like this. Maybe one day I'll write an essay (because its the cool thing to do), but right now I'll stick with:

I write because Kurt Vonnegut told me to.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:59 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

If I stop typing, or type at any speed under 50 letters per minute, I'll EXPLODE!
I wrote the above just for you.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:27 pm
Firestarter says...

I don't think I've ever written to express myself. I don't know why I write. I just do. I don't do it to define myself, or to stop myself from dying -- it's never really painful when I don't write. Writing itself is incredibly difficult, draining mixed with some moments of great achievement and fulfilment. So I could never say I write to keep myself happy.

I think I just write because I started writing and I've never given up on it. So, therefore, my reason would be that I write because I can.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Reviews: 2
Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:08 pm
Binky says...

Sureal wrote:If I stop typing, or type at any speed under 50 letters per minute, I'll EXPLODE!

Leaking the script for Speed 17, eh? Way to stick it to the man.
Last edited by Binky on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ I swear I didn't bring it home ~

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:21 pm
Sureal says...

Indeed; men scare me.
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:27 pm
Elizabeth says...

EXPRESSION!

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:30 pm
Poor Imp says...

Perhaps it's inexplicable.

...but there is the possibility of probable fatality were I to stop. At least - that's my poll answer. Does other mean everything else?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:30 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

PAT BUCHANAN!

Actually no... I write both because it's fun and to express myself I suppose. As well as for the joy of creation. Plus I'm a tad insane and putting things on paper helps me clear out my mind.

I agree with Inertia, I write because Kurt Vonnegut told me to.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:03 pm
Ares says...

I've never really thought about it...

I suppose...I just...always have. I liked it when I was little and it's been a habit ever since. I also think I'm good enough to make money by it some day. And if you can do something like writing to earn cash, why stop?

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher