62%

Total votes : 343

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:11 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

For this week's poll I'd like to know whether you've ever met a "real" well-known author. This can have been at a convention, a book signing, or perhaps they're your neighbours... Do share whom you've met or whom you'd really love to meet!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:22 am
View Likes
ExOmelas says...

Rainbow Rowell and David Leviathan! :)

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:47 am
View Likes
Sunshine1113 says...

I have met an author, but she is not really famous. In fact she is my grandma, she was locally famous over 30yrs ago but currently isn't. She has several things published about WWII but the stories never made it big.

Actually, most of my family are writers and have things published, but never became famous. If anything I'm actually famous :P when I was younger the local newspaper used to hold writing contests at my school and I was always top 3 in the class.

My most famous work I guess you could say was about Christmas time and giving to charity. (Wrote that in 3rd grade, it shocked everyone that a 9yr old had such a deep and profound understanding of that type of thing) it was published in the newspaper and more people than normal donated to the local food pantries and charities that year. And they republished it in the newspaper a few times. I had 15minutes of fame and if brought up in a conversation a few of the townsfolk would remember it.
~Sun Goddess~

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:04 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

My great grandfather is Robert (Bob) Warren, native to Frisco Texas. He was the mayor, and changed stuff there for the better. He writes, too. :D

He turns... um... 96 this year, I believe. :D
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:55 pm
View Likes
Spotswood says...

I mean, I exchanged emails with Drew karpyshyn, who has written quite a few Star Wars novels, wrote the entire plot and script for "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" the videogame (regarded as one of the greatest videogames ever made, and as having the greatest plot twist in video game history, which could make M Night Shamalan crap his pants), and the man behind the ENTIRE Mass Effect franchise. Not super famous, and pretty underrated, but still.

I doubt it counts though.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:51 pm
View Likes
BellaRoma says...

Does watching Jacqueline Wilson sign books counts as meeting her? I have a feeling it doesn't...
My mum and I didn't realise you needed tickets for the signing.
You cannot train yourself to notice,
To feel pain, and swallow fear

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:40 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

I'd say so, @BellaRoma! Were you able to talk to her at all or did you need a ticket for all of it? What did she seem like? I used to love her books when I was younger but I heard somewhere she isn't that friendly or something? Maybe it's not true though!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:08 pm
View Likes
BellaRoma says...

@Demeter, I needed a ticket for it all. I would not have known what to say, anyway.
You cannot train yourself to notice,
To feel pain, and swallow fear

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:26 pm
View Likes
MarbleToast says...

I saw Anthony Horowitz once, when he was signing copies of Oblivion. As he was the author that got me into reading, I was pretty happy.
Dreams sprout tall so beautiful
to wither and fall off
Old and dusty, creaky and rough
This clockwork will not rest

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:11 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I met Sarah Rees Brennan at a book signing, and briefly met Terry Pratchett at a debate!

I also went to a talk by John Boyne who wrote The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas where I accidentally bumped into Colm Tóibín on the way out. Whoops.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:53 pm
View Likes
shiney1 says...

Rick Riordan.
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

29 Reviews

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:07 pm
View Likes
Spotswood says...

Oh yeah, I met Harriet Beecher Stowe on an airplane to Martha's Vinyard back in the Spring of 08'
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:10 pm
View Likes
erilea says...

shiney1 wrote:Rick Riordan.

OHMIGOD YOU MET RICK RIORDAN I'M DYING OHMIGOD OHMIGOD OHMIGOD PLEASE WHERE WHY WHEN HOW OHMIGODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

29 Reviews

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:16 pm
View Likes
Spotswood says...

StellaThomas wrote:
I also went to a talk by John Boyne who wrote The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

What a sad story :smt022
-R.U.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:39 pm
View Likes
Lucia says...

Tamora Pierce.
I'm not sure it counts, however, because I didn't actually talk to her. I was three feet away, though. :D
Noodles, don't noodles...

There is a saying...........
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
~ Oogway

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein