z

Young Writers Society

How many novels are you reading at the moment?

How many novels are you reading at the moment?

One
30%
Two or more
51%
Zero
20%

Total votes : 188

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:18 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

I was going for "Are you reading a novel at the moment?" but I thought I'd mostly get "duh" answers, so I decided to change it up a bit. ;)

What are you reading, if (and when) you are reading something literary? I'm currently reading One Plus One by Jojo Moyes, and surprisingly nothing else!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:54 pm
View Likes
birk says...

I'm reading many! Duh! ;)

Currently, I am reading 'House of Leaves' by Mark z. Danielewski. (Which, once I finish, I will definately have to do research on before doing a second readthrough)

In addition, I also have my bus read; 'Troy' by Adèle Geras.

There's also a big pile of books to move onto after I finish either of these. Highest up in the line is; 'House of Dolls' by Ka-Tzetnik 135633, 'Lock In' by John Scalzi, 'Mr. Mercedes' by Stephen King, 'Warcraft: War Crimes' by Christie Golden. To name a few.

There's too little time!
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:59 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Eleanor and Park ~ Rainbow Rowell. ^^
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:08 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas says...

My primary novel is 'The Maze Runner' by James Dashner. But I have at least 3 others currently on the go and I just finished 2 books I was reading for school - so I'll doubtless be re-reading those some time soon.

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:37 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

I'm currently reading Artemis Fowl, and if it counts, (I state this shamelessly) I am also reading fan fiction of all kinds.
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:55 pm
Dreamy says...

Nada by Hectic College Works.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:35 pm
View Likes
tinny says...

I just finished Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, so I'm down to one novel now.

If you count other books though, I've got five on the go. Short stories, non-fiction, poetry, essay anthologies... This is a recent low though. Normally there are around seven on the trot.

Crush by Richard Siken
The View From the Seventh Layer by Kevin Brockmeier
Gilgamesh
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
The Worn Archive

I have a couple of arcs to get though before the end of the month, so I'll be back up to seven soon enough.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:47 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Zhia wrote:I'm currently reading Artemis Fowl, and if it counts, (I state this shamelessly) I am also reading fan fiction of all kinds.

Of course it counts - well, if you ask me. Especially when I find stuff that's better than the source material. Other than my own fanfic addiction, I usually have at least two novels going, and usually a few poetry books I'll pick up at will and a few short story books (or myth and legends books, etc.) plus the book I'm probably going to start reading with the kids at work. So uh, maybe an option for five or more at a time? :P

Do job applications count as novels? I mean, they're the same length as one, half the time *grumps*

(and yes, @Sachiko and @Lauren2010 and everyone else I should tag, I am working on Raven Boys. Slowly)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:11 pm
erilea says...

Zhia wrote:I'm currently reading Artemis Fowl, and if it counts, (I state this shamelessly) I am also reading fan fiction of all kinds.

Zhia, you and I have good taste in literature. I am sorry to day I am not reading fan fictions at this moment, but something called Beswitched. :D
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:35 pm
View Likes
Sachiko says...

ahahaha oh lawd. On Audiobook i'm reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King and The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. On my kindle I'm reading The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy, The Melancholy of Mechagirl and Palimpsest by Catherynne M Valente (two seperate books), The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan aaaaand Jane Eyre.
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 pm
Auxiira says...

The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna, for school. Something tells me that this is going to be a sad/instructive read (set in Sierra Leone dying and after the 1990's civil war)
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:29 am
Shiverfeather says...

A Clash of Kings (the second book of A Song of Ice and Fire, the book series Game of Thrones is based off) which I highly recomend though there are some...mature themes so if you don't like that sort of stuff or violence...

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:19 am
Corncob says...

BiscuitsBatchAvoy wrote:My primary novel is 'The Maze Runner' by James Dashner.

I've read that entire series, including The Kill Order, and I have to say, it was a bit disappointing. The plot was well put together and the story line interesting enough, but it simply wasn't enough for me to say it was a great book, and at times so boring that even a good book would be an overstatement. I hope you enjoy it; if you want, we can compare installments. :mrgreen:

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:44 pm
View Likes
Willard says...

Currently reading one. On The Road by Jack Kerouac

Blah

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:49 pm
Spotswood says...

Only about 200 pages in. I'm kinda going back and forth

Finished the last Mass Effect book. The series is an entertaining companion to the games, all of which I beat.

Much MUCH better than I expected. It is the first book of the "new" Star Wars canon. I still don't see why they did away with the old stuff. Most is still compatible with the new canon, but Lucas is a control freak. I thought the book would contradict everything I know and love, but it is a great prequel to the new show that is coming out, and this book is getting me REALLY excited about it!
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves