10%

Total votes : 262

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:43 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

Imagine you published a real book in the real world! Would you want your own birth name printed on the cover, or would you come up with something completely different, like for example George Orwell (actually Eric Arthur Blair) and Cassandra Clare (Judith Rumelt in reality) have done? Or perhaps you have another solution - initials, or something else? Let us know!

I've toyed with several pen names before, but since I haven't actually published anything, I haven't used them. When my poem was published in the YWS Literary Journal, I was credited as my first name and the first letter of my surname!

Also - if you have a pen name, feel free to share it here! I know I'm interested :)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:14 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Aw. It looks like someone else already picked Other (please specify). I guess I need to make up a new one now.
We were born to be amazing.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:52 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

I don't understand the point of pseudonyms. When I found out Lemony Snicket wasn't real, I cried for days. Like seriously. >_>

Then I found out that the author went by that name to tie in with the story and I felt betrayed. At least warn me next time <_<

(I was young I hadn't discovered Wikipedia yet)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:13 pm
View Likes
birk says...

I already have my pen name. ;)
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:24 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

My birth name is terrible - if I don't change it, I'm definitely going with a pseudonym.
stay off the faerie paths

155 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 155
Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:03 pm
Arcticus says...

I am filled with instant admiration for people who use pseudonyms (I don't know why). It's also a great way to avoid unwanted attention.

I have used pseudonyms before, but they keep changing. And yeah, if I was considering seriously publishing something, I guess I would use my own name.
You either worship something higher than yourself or end up worshiping yourself

Naturally Tipsy ©

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:27 pm
BellaRoma says...

I'd use a pseudonym because I just can't imagine people including my name in an essay on my book. Mine doesn't sound like the right sort of name.
You cannot train yourself to notice,
To feel pain, and swallow fear

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:15 pm
View Likes
AdmiralKat says...

I would have to say I would use my initials because my name is too complex. XD (32 letters long...)
Whale. Whale. Whale. What do we have here?
Some scurvy dog looking at my post, eh?

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:51 pm
Holysocks says...

I think that I would like seeing my own real name on a cover... but people have trouble saying my last name right ( There's a part in it that looks like it should say 'cow' ). Therefor I think I'd use my first name ( which I don't go by ) and then have my middle name, and last name's initials.

I've thought it would be fun to have a pen name, I even thought Holly Socks might work, but I think I would rather have my real name on something, if something ever gets published. :-P
100% autistic

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Cole says...

I know a lot of writers who are also teachers use pen names to disassociate their work from their hobby (two of my old high school teachers did that).

As for me, I will probably use my birth name. I have used various pseudonyms before when publishing stuff in local magazines and papers, all rooted in family names:

Lance Mater
Mater Knight
Marvin Knight
Ira Mater

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:05 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

Iggy wrote:I don't understand the point of pseudonyms. When I found out Lemony Snicket wasn't real, I cried for days. Like seriously. >_>

Then I found out that the author went by that name to tie in with the story and I felt betrayed. At least warn me next time <_<

(I was young I hadn't discovered Wikipedia yet)

Wait a minute...

LEMONY SNICKET ISN'T REAL?!
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:41 pm
Astronaut says...

Just my first and middle name, because I really like my middle name, but my last name is the name of a tree. BOOOORING.
I don't have a signature.

Spoiler! :
Bet you didn't see that coming...

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm
erilea says...

Demeter wrote:Imagine you published a real book in the real world! Would you want your own birth name printed on the cover, or would you come up with something completely different, like for example George Orwell (actually Eric Arthur Blair) and Cassandra Clare (Judith Rumelt in reality) have done? Or perhaps you have another solution - initials, or something else? Let us know!

I've toyed with several pen names before, but since I haven't actually published anything, I haven't used them. When my poem was published in the YWS Literary Journal, I was credited as my first name and the first letter of my surname!

Also - if you have a pen name, feel free to share it here! I know I'm interested :)

My pen name is Kaylee Chen, I know I said made up, but I changed my mind.
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:39 pm
niteowl says...

My last name is notoriously difficult to pronounce/spell, so I'd likely go with a pseudonym. However, I never thought about this much as I haven't written anything close to publishing.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 pm
Audy says...

It would be ridiculously awesome if I could just be Audy as a mononym. I also have a super hard to spell/pronounce last name (and it just doesn't look like author names, y'know?)

"Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
— V for Vendetta