z

Young Writers Society

Do your (immediate) family members write?

Do your (immediate) family members write?

Yes, we all do
3%
Some of them
25%
No, I'm the only one
67%
I don't know
5%

Total votes : 323

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:33 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

Do you come from a family of writers or is writing something you discovered "on your own"? By family, I mainly mean your parents and siblings, but do tell if there's some other family member you can think of!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:32 am
View Likes
Alpha says...

Some of them. My dad writes articles for newspapers, edits a university magazine, and translates books from Swahili to Arabic. Mom is more into reading, but she barely has time anymore.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:59 pm
View Likes
MaryEvans says...

My mum used to write poetry, a lot of it, but that was a long time ago. Else it's drawing that's really in the family, I have a whole branch of cousins who are painters or sculptors or in the arts generally.
As for me, I discovered it on my own, even though literature was my weakest subject through high school.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm
View Likes
Linguistic says...

I'm the only one in my family who writes, or even looks at a pencil during the summer :P My siblings--and my parents, actually--don't understand my love for writing, so I tend to keep to myself while I'm doing it.

I'm also one of the 2/6 people in my family who read for pleasure. I feel like everyone in my family, besides me and my mother, hate literature :P

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:11 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

Apparently I am a descendant of several writers (including Samuel Lover, who worked alongside Charles Dickens on a literary magazine; his is the moderately famous quote "When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen."). But my living family does not write. I'm the only one.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:19 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

Nope. As far as I can think of. I have an uncle, an aunt and a granfather who like to read.
My brother once wrote a story - but then he grew up to be caught in the throes of MMORPGs.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:27 pm
ElectraHeart says...

That I know of, I'm the only one in my family who writes. My father discourages it sometimes but my mother, if she reads something, tells me how talented I am. But everyone likes to read in my family.
Used to be: IAlreadyDied
But that doesn't mean I'm still the same person.

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:25 pm
Cithara says...

I am the only in my family that loves to write. However most of my family are readers, especially my sister, who has a new book in her hands every day XD :D
Pax in Christo

"My heart is racing even as I write,
but I plan to go on as bravely as a heroine in a
novel."~The Hired Girl

I used to be Thewriter13

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:04 pm
Rook says...

Last time I visited my relatives, I brought along my school's literary and arts magazine (in which I have nine works). When my grandma (on my mom's side) read it she said, "I always thought we should have a writer in the family."
No one else in my family writes, except for one uncle on my dad's side who wrote a mystery novel...?
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:25 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket says...

I put that my entire family does mainly because 8 of my siblings do and my mom use to. :D
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:58 pm
Holysocks says...

Well... my dad writes songs and some poems, and my mom is pretty good at essays. Other than that though, it's just me. My sister won't even pick up a pen. XP
100% autistic

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:42 am
Dragon99 says...

I got pen ink in my blood, my great-grandpa on my dads side loved to write a great deal of poetry, but he doesn't write no more, too old to. My mom used to write a story here and there but stopped by her teens. My cousin sarah was an amazing writer, I have one of her poems on her, but she's dead now. So currently I am the only writer in my family. Reading-wise, many people in my family are readers but only me and my nana k, my moms mom, have the time to read.
The Pen Is Mightier Then Dragon Fire

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:19 am
View Likes
Noelle says...

My grandparents (my mom's parents) were avid readers. I think my grandmother might have written some poetry here and there, but just for fun. I like to think I got my love of reading and writing from them. Other than that though, no one else in my family writes.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:26 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

All of my immediate family (parents and siblings), except my dad, are members of YWS. Yep. Even my mom is a member. Not an active member, mind you, but you gotta admit that this is pretty cool.

My husband likes to write first chapters. He is not on YWS, but he is amused (or confused) by some of the antics and pranks.

My baby likes to sing the song of her people. It includes such ground-breaking lyrics like, "WAHHHHHHHHH." Sung at fortissimo. At all hours of the night. Truly inspirational. Perhaps one day, when she learns how to grip a pen (after she's done ripping out my hair with her surprisingly strong baby grip) she'll pen down her lyrics, in between her sessions. We can only hope...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:53 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Everyone in my family either writes or used to at one time. Ironically somewhat, I'm the only one of my siblings who hasn't written anything in the past ten years (which covers the entire time I've been running YWS!). My younger brother has a couple of self-published books on Amazon, my youngest brother writes music, and my older sister writes short plays for her SCA chapter. Even my dad is writing a book off and on. But, nada from me.

Both of my brothers are members of YWS by the way, although I don't think they've logged on in years.

Well, the only way to start is by starting
— AvantCoffee