Depends on the story
62%

Total votes : 238

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:52 am
View Likes
CowLogic says...

I prefer no person. Stories about cats are better. I often write in 1st Cat P.O.V., but sometimes shift to third.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:25 pm
Niraco says...

When writing I like to go for first person. Lets me get inside a characters head.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:28 pm
Skorpionne says...

I find I prefer to write in third person. I can see why first person may be better, but if I write in anything other than third person present tense, I have to be careful or I find myself slipping back into that. :/
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:15 pm
PeanutPhoebe says...

I like reading both, but I don't write first person very often. Which is why my historical fiction diary is almost weird to me:)
Keep Writing!

PeanutPhoebe

Reviews: 0
Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:23 am
RurouniOfLife says...

I prefer 1st person, although some stories call for 3rd X3

What I really hate is when I accidentally switch back and forth between the two in the middle of a page ;n;

"I looked down over the edge, the shadows concealing my face as my eyes followed the dark figure drifting through the alley. He's searching for something. She fingered her necklace as her dread started to build. I know just what he's looking for."

(And tenses ;n; I suck at those too ;n;')
Lead, kindly Light. . .
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me

(*Was previously KatKage. Sorry for not saying earlier! ''X3*)

~*~ Love is the Answer ~*~

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:23 pm
Sylar says...

I'd rather write in 1st person, BUT SCREENWRITING
A SURPRISE PARTY

FOR ME

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-6cunaBd7A)

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:14 am
TakeThatYouFiend says...

*cough* second person? I only write stories in second person (if you don't believe me check out my portfolio...
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:23 am
TriSARAHtops says...

I really don't have a preference when it comes to 1st or 3rd person, and I reckon both can be effective. Reading-wise, I don't have a preference, because I've become really connected to characters in stories that have been written in third and indifferent to first, and vice versa, which I guess shows that I don't connect to one over the other.
Interestingly, when I write I usually go for first person as an instinctive thing, but I reckon I write better in third.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Demeter wrote:If you had to choose between first and third person only, which would you prefer? Do you only ever use one of them or do you sometimes change it?

It depends on the effect I want to create with the story. If I want my audience to see things that the character doesn't, then third person is the clear winner. For instance, if I want my audience to see the way that she is looking at him when his back is turned...

But if I want my audience to only know what the character knows, then I'll run first person. This is particularly well suited for when the character is confronting a mystery.

In short, I pick the mode which is best at conveying what I want the audience to see, and hiding the secrets that I want hidden.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

155 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 155
Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:17 am
Arcticus says...

Imagine how much we would be missing, for instance, if any Harry Potter book, which is in third person, had been written in first person instead; and what would The Catcher in the Rye be without Holden Caulfield's first person narration?

In first person, your story becomes the narration of a single individual - the narrator (of course, you can switch between characters). This can produce an awesome effect, but in stories that encompass a lot of characters, places and events, I think that writing in third person does an even better job.
You either worship something higher than yourself or end up worshiping yourself

Naturally Tipsy ©

"If fortis was here, we could have a teal party"
— Pompadour