DESTROY ALL PROLOGUES
8%

Total votes : 264

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:34 am
Demeter says...

Courtesy of @BlueAfrica for Squills! Blue also sends this message to each and all of you:

Do you have another opinion on prologues or want to explain yours? Discuss the fate of prologues in the comments below!

Because really I want this to spark a lively debate about prologues. (Is it sad that I'm using "lively debate" and "prologues" in the same sentence? Wow, the topics writers find interesting.)

Personally, I don't really care for them that much. I don't often see what more it brings to the story. I chose "Sometimes necessary", because undoubtedly a prologue can be really well done and reel the reader in even better! I don't think I would write one, though.

So, get votin' and then get discussin'! What do YOU think about prologues? Do you like them? Do you just skip them to get to the actual story? Where do you stand?
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:44 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...

I don't love them nor do I hate. I mean prologues are necessary, they give us a idea/glimpse of how the story will be. If a author gives us a prologue we should read them. Ignoring them would be weird. Completely.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:26 am
Blackwood says...

In general I think if it can be avoided its better to do so.
When I was a child I always used to skip them when I started a new book.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:48 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

I've read some really great prologues, which really added to the story, and were necessary, because what they contained couldn't have been told as well if there weren't a prologue. That said, sometimes prologues are completely useless. I went with Sometimes Necessary, but I do think that if a prologue is anything less than crucial or well-delivered it will probably be pretty shoddy.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:06 am
Apricity says...

Prologues in my opinion, should only express a part of the story. Mostly per-story that contributes greatly to the story and makes readers realize something important. It cannot be written anywhere else in the hence, but it should be relatable.

I haven't read that many great prologues but I believe, they sometimes are necessary and can be a great asset.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

155 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 155
Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:00 pm
Arcticus says...

I have mixed feelings about prologues.

Sometimes they can be a nice way to take the reader to a later part of the story (a part of the story that occurs later in terms of time) hence creating a sort of suspense and making the reading process interesting.

Sometimes they can be used to introduce important characters/places. In that case they are helpful.

Sometimes they are just plain unnecessary, especially if the first chapter and the consequent chapters are in continuity. I mean, when the title Prologue can simply be replaced by Chapter 1 or so.

So, basically, I think it depends upon the point you're trying to make by placing a prologue at the beginning of your novel. Ergo I'll go with Sometimes Necessary.
You either worship something higher than yourself or end up worshiping yourself

Naturally Tipsy ©

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:10 pm
Cailey says...

I was that kid who always skipped prologues and intros and author's note and everything. Just give me the story! But then I'd read the first line of the first chapter and talk myself into going back to read the prologue after all.

So generally I'd say I don't like them, but it's also nice because the prologue can include more of that "telling instead of showing" stuff that can't go into the novel. So I actually have a prologue in my book just because it includes some background info that wouldn't work in the actually novel, but tried to make sure that anyone who skipped the prologue would still be able to understand everything.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:07 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas says...

I like how 'Never necessary' and 'DESTROY ALL PROLOGUES' mean practically the same thing ie that prologues are pointless and yet everyone who feels that way has chosen to go for the passionate, all-caps approach. :)

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:44 pm
deleted5 says...

I find them fun to write but you don't need them all the time.
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:25 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I will begrudgingly admit that sometimes they are necessary. Nevertheless, I hate them with a passion.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:29 pm
View Likes
Gardevite says...

The only prologue I ever thought to be necessary was the Game of Thrones prologue. It grabbed my attention so much that I kept reading, witch is saying a lot because I read Game of Thrones when I was 13 and I found the beginning extremely boring. XP
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:34 am
View Likes
ladcat13 says...

I voted "Love 'em", but not because I always love reading prologues. I actually used to hate them and never read them. But now I realize that often they add significantly to the story. Sometimes, at the choice of the author, they're even important, and you're starving yourself by ignoring them. I think they're useful because you can write things in them that are for the reader's ears only. They help add dramatic irony to a story, and humans do luuurve their dramatic irony.

Millions of miles from home
In the darkness before the dawn
In the swirling of this storm
When I'm rolling with the thunder
But bleed from thorns
Leave a light, a light on.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:50 am
Zolen says...

I feel octagons.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:55 am
View Likes
carbonCore says...

BURN THEM, SALT THE EARTH BENEATH THEM, BULLDOZE THAT EARTH, PURGE IT WITH NUCLEAR FIRE, THEN PAVE IT AND BUILD A PARKING LOT OVER IT

Note: prologues can be used well, but overwhelmingly, especially on this site, they are abused as cheap infodumps
_

Reviews: 4
Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:36 pm
Vanz says...

Prologues should be like Short Story's. Shedding light on an issue in the world that is aside of the MC's (for the moment) or as a pretext in which a History etc is explained.

It does get used to info dump a LOT, yet should be nothing more than an enticing side track that should fizzle and broil and grow under the story line until it's relevance can be thrown at the reader. Yet in the fantasy genre it's often needed as a critical part of world building. (For example the introduction to Westeros and the danger Beyond The Wall in G. R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones.)

It's generally unused in regular story's which have a clear notice of how the world is build (Like ours).

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
— Dr. Seuss