z

Young Writers Society

LSS: Starless Night

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:56 am
NewHope says...

Rigel Moonlight

"Take my phanda Rigel, it will keep you safe, you need to be safe or I'll die inside. Please be safe Rigel. I love you with all my heart."
She stared into his strong smiling face but she forced herself to look at the ground, she hadn't cried since she was a little girl in small little pink tights and lacy blouses and she wouldn't cry now. Not for any man. Not even for her husband. "You're much too proud Rigel. Not even a goodbye?"
She slipped into his arms and leaned against him, dripping into his warm, chiselled body. Her white hood bleached clean and drawn over her head. Giving him a last kiss before she pulled up her buff and disappeared.

She licked her lips again, the soup smelled good and she hadn't had dinner yet. The guard's reached out a ladle and poured it into Esther's mouth, some of the burning hot soup dripping onto their cheeks. Rigel had to clap a hand to her mouth to stop herself from laughing. She looked like she was being breastfed with the weird bottle they had poured water into. She glanced at the handbag like sack she carried and pulled out a pipe, a dart and a dead frog. Making sure the frog didn't touch any of the little exposed skin on her body, cutting it into quarters and jabbing the dart through the poison sac. Repeating the process until she had three darts ready. Regal. Regal among my nations. I command you. Kill. Kill. Kill. Make them suffer. And the Moon unzipped into a hideous grin. Regal. Regal among my nations. I command you. Kill Darvi Esther. She moulded her lips onto the pipe and breathed out a great whoosh of air, dart spiralling for Darvi. She smiled in delight. Her mission would soon be done.

308 Words (2192 Words To Go)

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:36 am
WeepingWisteria says...

Darvi Esther

If there was one thing Darvi had learned it was being a prisoner was incredibly frustrating.

Of course, the guards had separated them from all other prisoners. They didn't want their star guilty verdict dying before trial, no. And even criminals would have a crisis of morality letting a traitor survive. Darvi didn't blame them; she wanted to kill the bastard who did this too. How could he not?

But that was all for nought since Darvi was in the middle of blackhole nowhere being spoon-fed like an incompetent child. Honestly, she dedicated xer entire life to protecting and serving a Zodiac, and they were downgraded to this. Frankly, it was rude, uncalled for, and generally very anger-inducing.

But enough being upset. Darvi knew many things. He knew the human body's knock-out buttons (the temple and the jaw) and how to instantly knock the breath out of someone's lungs (a punch to the kidney, diaphragm, or throat sufficed). And most of all, they knew when to shut up and play along. People are dangerous once they're threatened. So, Darvi knew never to play the part of the threat. Instead, Darvi could be quiet, a little awkward, and most of all...

Darvi could be really, really stupid.

Because stupid wasn't threatening, of course not. Annoying? Oh, absolutely! But are you going to execute a moron for a conspiracy that took at least an entire lifetime to plan? Probably not. So, when the same Libra guard from the beginning (his name was Aurelius, which was too nice of a name for such a pompous Narcissus) began to ladle soup into his mouth, all she did was move just a bit to the right to catch some of the soup on faer cheeks.

"Stars! Stay still, you blithering idiot."

Darvi just blinked, showing no signs of intelligent thought.

"Watch him, please."

Aurelius walked away, muttering to himself about "traitors" and "Gemini shipmates." Good, any annoyance Darvi could cause him was sweet revenge. It was a pleasure to watch him lose his grip on his temper.

That was until he fell. Downright collapsed into a pile of limbs in the clearing. Darvi's breath caught, and he immediately threw himself backwards, their body instinctively shifting into that of a small child.

"Hey! The traitor!"

"Don't let him get away."

A sound whistled, and Darvi threw himself flat, a dart barely missing the bridge of his nose. The breeze was slightly angled south, so that means...

Fae spotted a flash of movement in a break in the trees. It would've been impossible to spot unless you knew exactly what you were looking for.

Darvi rolled her shoulders, letting his skin melt into feathers, their face melt into the skinny beak of a hummingbird. Good luck striking me now, fiend.

The guards clamoured below, tossing works and shouting obscenities at each other. Darvi had planned on staying, really, but that all changed when someone tried to kill her. Would that damn her even further during the trial? Definitely, but that was a problem for the Darvi that survived.

So, summoning the guard resolve thon had set aside, ey flittered into the woods in pursuit of the attacker. This was the true Darvi here. Not the stupid prisoner, not the worshipper. This was Darvi, the pursuer, the being that went from a hummingbird to a raven to an eagle and back again.

Belinda found beauty in books and knowledge. Gemini saw beauty in mirrors and replication.

And Darvi?

Darvi found beauty in the chase.

This was the best thing in the world. The attacker in front of her, their pounding footsteps in front of thon. He couldn't see the attacker, but they could hear them. Their heavy breaths, their footsteps they tried so hard to mask under the forest sounds, and the deliberation of their thoughts.

Until they couldn't anymore. And the forest faded into birdsong and distant river whispers.

Oh. Oh!

That sneaky little bastard fell for her act. They thought he was unobservant and would keep running forever until her lungs decayed.

So, Darvi stopped. They settled into the form of a woodpecker, parking in a branch. If they wanted to play games, then Darvi could accommodate. After all, if there's one purpose of a shapeshifting guard, it's to trick and deceive. If this attacker failed to realise that, then that was their fault.

Darvi could be many things, and another was patient. Not very often, and not in certain situations. But here, when it was a matter of predator and prey, Darvi could sit on this branch, appearing innocent and stupid once more, for hours. The attacker would circle around eventually. If they genuinely wanted thon dead, they would.

So, Darvi waited. And waited. And waited just a fraction more.

Once the forest rustled beneath them, Darvi hyperfocused on the figure beneath them. They had stopped running, clearly stalking something. She could recognise the hunter's gaze, scanning for any sign of life.

This was the attacker. It had to be. If not, then Darvi was about to cause a fright for an innocent hunter. Another thing to add to their stellar reputation.

Oh well.

Darvi's feathers turned into scales, their legs disappearing into a long thick tail. They lunged, their form now a powerful and impenetrable boa constrictor. They wrapped around the attacker, focusing on crushing their ribs as much as possible, wrapping around their wrists and neck.

I got you now.

907 Words (1,285 left)
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

30 Reviews

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:37 am
NewHope says...

Rigel Moonlight

Rigel let her last two darts fly, striking two guards in the process. Darvi may be a harder game. Picking up her satchel she scrambled through the trees. Following Darvi's sprinting across the clearing. Silently matching her every step, knowing it would take a trained eye to even notice her and that even if she was noticed they would think she were a buck. No one knew of this path except for Libra and the indigenous people and they seldom moved this far from their village. Following Esther was a hard task it seemed, lightning-quick movements almost matching hers, she knew she had the advantage of speed. This would be a long chase but she would be the victor. She stared back from a small break, amber eyes staring out at Esther. Almost scared when she saw the stupid prisoner veer towards her. Actually chasing, galloping after her at full speed. She hated the feeling of being chased. The chase was a special thing, a quick ritual she disliked. She much more favoured praying for the animals she had killed. She had her special little ritual for each animal. But for the traitor, the idiotic prisoner she cut out the heart and carve in the swastika. As in, good luck without a heart. Scramble off the toes and fingers, enjoy your lonely stubs. She sprinted faster, running on her laughter and hatred for the stupid shit. She was the worshipper, the symbol, the women off the land and she prayed not even short on breath and yet far faster than the idiot, "Great Moon, Great Moon. I pray in your light that you will help me kill this stupid little bitch. That you will allow me to choke them with rocks or just stone them straight. I just pray for their death. For their lively, lonely entrance to Hell."
Not much caring where they ran, just knowing she could outrun anyone. But she hated being chased. And she thought about Adrian, her love, "Adrian. I'll see you soon. I'll be there at my grandmother's funeral. I promise."
I look up from the ground to see your sad and teary eyes
You look away from me and I wonder what’s on your mind
I reach for your hand but it’s cold and you pull away
And I know there’s something you’re trying to hide

"You really do know me, Adrian. Your vows were beautiful. A little long. But beautiful."
I look into your glimmering gold eyes and cry
You see the expression on my face and seem to float away
I reach for your hand but you’ve already gone

"I really love you. With all of my heart. I love you," she continued her whispers, tracking back her steps carefully 10 meters and cutting into the forest at her side.
Screaming for hope and striving
Nobody
Nothing left to lose
Sometimes I look back at the Sun and shout

Slowly circling.
Welcome to my darkest days
Where it all seems grey
I know you’re watching
So come out and show you’re face

I’m crying in the darkness
Not sleeping when it’s sunrise
Just waiting for your soft touch
And you’re blessing to die

And I look up from the ground to see your sad and teary eyes
You look away from me and I wonder what’s on your mind
I reach for your hand but it’s cold and you pull away
I look into your glimmering gold eyes and cry
You see the expression on my face and seem to float away
I reach for your hand but you’ve already gone
Screaming for hope and striving
Nobody
Nothing left to lose
Sometimes I look back at the Sun and shout
Where it all seems grey
I know you’re watching
Where it all seems grey
I know you’re watching

"I really do love you, Adrian. You're the most handsome man I've ever met. The most amazing person anyone will ever meet."
Rigel cut back onto the path and started a leisurely walk after the stupid prisoner, that bitch Esther. Stopping to admire a red-crested black and white woodpecker as it pecked away at the tree's bark, carrying on after watching it fly away. She jumped with surprise as something heavy landed on her neck, crushing her.

765 Words

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:38 am
Chaser says...

Enki

"Count my lucky stars, dude," Enki mumbled once they were past the border. "Had far too many of them today."

Behind them was the exposed backside of the Libra Gate. On the way in, Enki had marveled at the marble facade, which depicted reliefs of each of the twelve Zodiacs at their first founding, a story thousands of years old. Five Zodiacs shimmered to either side, while Virgo and Libra sat at the center, Virgo posed behind Libra with their arms splayed out, and Libra holding a star-shaped carving in their outstretched palms. It was a Gate that depicted all of the Zodiacs with honor, yet placed Libra unmistakably at the center. The privilege of those responsible for justice, Enki supposed.

From behind, though, Enki could see the sleek metal construction that held the aged marble together. The actual door of the Gate was also steel, and had been tightly shut when Enki arrived. There was a crowd of people gathered outside, and Enki had to hop to see over them to where the Libra Guard was stationed shoulder-to-shoulder at the gate. The look on the guards' faces was one of undoubted agitation at the situation they'd found themselves in. A crowd at their front, a killer behind them. Still, their shields and spears gleamed in the mist, and the crowd seemed hesitant to move any closer.

When Enki had moved closer, they saw that the crowd was actually divided into two sections. To the left were people clad in dark, stained, and studded jumpsuits -- Cancer citizens, no doubt, all wearing their uniforms in a sign of solidarity. Their chant was the loudest, "Bring them here! Bring them here!"

Nobody was particularly thrilled that Libra was the justice of all intership crimes, but it had rarely come up during the years of peace. Now that a Zodiac had been killed, it seemed that people were growing more and more resentful of Libra's position. Doubtless the Cancer people wanted justice to flow through their own hands, from Darvi Esther's throat.

Enki sensed that resentment from the other side as well, but to their surprise, it was mainly the Gemini citizens who'd shown up. They were dressed in dull greys with flashes of silver at their shoulders; aluminium pauldrons had been the fashion for a few years now, displaying proudly the twin lights of Gemini. They were somewhat less vocal than Cancer; furthermore, in between their shouting, they were glancing around at each other nervously, before picking up the cry of the next person over. Half of them looked unsure whether to save Esther or kill xir.

A clarion horn sounded behind them, and Enki turned to see guards in mountainous, ornate armor march through, cleaving the crowd in two. Enki found themselves shoved to the side with the Cancer citizens, watching the procession tensely. In the middle of them was a fortified carriage, a golden cage with red drapes across the front. As it passed, Enki saw the nine stars of the Leo constellation gleaming across the side.

The Libra Guard eyed the Leo procession with a measured wariness, as they likely had every Zodiac to pass through the gates. Leo Makara always attended events between the Zodiacs, no matter how shallow or bleak. Enki wasn't sure who else would show up, though.

Looking at the way everyone was poised, it was clear they were each holding themselves back. Plans struck into Enki's head like a match-fire, and suddenly they were shoving towards the most vocal of the Cancer, a bald man with a metal ear. Cetus, the whale, gleamed across his neck.

Enki drove their shoulder into the man's side and spat at his feet. Then they raised their fist in the air and shouted loud enough to be heard by the Gemini. "Free Darvi Esther, man!" they cried.

For a moment, the crowd looked shocked, all staring at Enki. Then, each side found their voice again, and the mob erupted in shouting.

"Yes, free him!" shouted a Gemini.

"We'll kill them and you!" screamed another Gemini, and the Cancer began to chant again. The Leo Guard raised gigantic shields, their eyes darting all about. The Libra Guard did the same, but awkwardly made to part in order to let the procession through. With a great rumble, the Gate began to open. Those closest to the Gate keenly watched the threshold rise, and the Libra Guard eyed them back, ready to stop anyone trying to swarm through.

All the while, Enki was facing the metal-eared man, shuffling so that his back was to the Leo Guard. Their plan was simple: dodge a hit and tumble through the Leo Guard. Suddenly, though, they found their arms locked at the shoulders. They twisted their head and found another Cancer sneering down at them. Turning back to the crowd, Enki suddenly saw not one but three Cancer men charging towards him, flinging their arms out but mostly connecting with their body mass, all at once. Stars exploded in Enki's eyes as they all crashed through the shield wall. They collapsed in the dust, Enki sliding limp to the ground.

From the other side, too, people were running into the melee. The Leo Guard began to contract their shield perimeter in order to protect the carriage. As they did, Enki's constellation began to glow.

The stronger one's constellation was, the stronger it glowed. An often overlooked aspect of this was, then, that the weaker constellations tended to go unnoticed in their use. Enki sprawled out on the ground, extending their arm towards the carriage. Reticulum, the net, shot out from their fingers, wrapping around the rear carriage axle. Enki pulled on the dull silver threads just as the circle closed, and the carriage lurched forward, winding the net around the axle like a winch, and dragging Enki down under it. As the Leo Guard defended against the onslaught of shoving from all sides, Enki latched themselves underneath the Leo carriage.

Libra Gate was fully open now, and the Libra Guard was surging forward, pressing the crowd back. The Leo Guard advanced through, and Enki watched the shuffle of their feet as they entered Libra Ship. This was all fine, but without a doubt, they would check under the carriage once they were through.

But as the Leo Guard put the crowd behind them, they naturally shifted more towards the back, to defend themselves if the crowd pushed through the gate. Even so, they were on high alert. Enki wracked their brain for plans and came up empty. It was always so much easier getting into things than out of them.

"People of all ships, hear me!"

The crowd's clamor died down. Leo Makara had made her appearance. Her voice carried over the swell like daylight, suffusing a calm air into all who listened. Enki had a theory that the Leo constellation granted, besides invulnerability, a gift for public speech.

"I see your anguish, and it moves me," Leo said. "I see your fear, and it moves me. This is a dark day for all peoples of the Zodiac.

"But trust in those who guide you," she continued passionately. "For today we will put Darvi Esther to justice, for the sake of all! This person stands trial not as a Gemini, but as an enemy of all!"

As she talked, Enki slithered out from the carriage, plain as day if anyone had been looking at them. But with the carriage blocking them from view of the crowd, and everyone's eyes on Leo, there was a surreal ease to their escape. Up ahead, the path twisted through the forest in the foothills of the mountain where Libra stood. Enki dove into the bushes and vanished, the words of Leo and the punch from the Cetus ringing in their ears.

It had taken them some time to reach the Library, having to dodge through the forest to get anywhere. Thankfully, Libra's hall of records wasn't a great priority to defend on that day. The tales of ships recorded for millennia sat in that hall, and among other things, the first place to look for Esther's sister.

Enki walked through the front door, gazing at the pillars that stretched to the vaulted ceiling. The ceiling beams too were decorated, painted with the Zodiac constellations holding them up. Enki's wooden shoes clicked on the tile floor.

The Library was quiet; that was the rule, after all. Staircases upon staircases extended up and down into an ocean of books, and Enki knew it would take a while to search them all. So they slid along the walls and glanced around, listening for the muffled sounds of a person petrified in their hiding place.

1453 words
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

30 Reviews

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:44 am
NewHope says...

The Bellows

There’s something about darkness that frightens people. The impossibility of finding the creature lurking in the dark. The fact that when you close your eyes the world becomes a muted black. Fearful that when you die they’ll close your eyes. But you aren’t scared of death. You’re scared of the unknown. The implications. Will your body rot and be nothing? Will you prance around in Heaven? Will you sink in the seas of Hell? You’re gathering all of your life for one point. An afterlife you’re unsure is real. You aren’t scared of death. But you’ll only answer in prayer singing as if your singing will truly resonate.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

And I’ll betray your mighty word with your own scripture. I’ll betray your mighty word with the vile voice of Job.

“I loathe my very life;
therefore I will give free rein to my complaint
and speak out in the bitterness of my soul.

I say to God: Do not declare me guilty,
but tell me what charges you have against me.

Does it please you to oppress me,
to spurn the work of your hands,
while you smile on the plans of the wicked?

Do you have eyes of flesh?
Do you see as a mortal sees?

Are your days like those of a mortal
or your years like those of a strong man,

that you must search out my faults
and probe after my sin—

though you know that I am not guilty
and that no one can rescue me from your hand?

“Your hands shaped me and made me.
Will you now turn and destroy me?

Remember that you molded me like clay.
Will you now turn me to dust again?

Did you not pour me out like milk
and curdle me like cheese,

clothe me with skin and flesh
and knit me together with bones and sinews?

You gave me life and showed me kindness,
and in your providence watched over my spirit.

“But this is what you concealed in your heart,
and I know that this was in your mind:

If I sinned, you would be watching me
and would not let my offense go unpunished.

If I am guilty—woe to me!
Even if I am innocent, I cannot lift my head,
for I am full of shame
and drowned in[a] my affliction.

If I hold my head high, you stalk me like a lion
and again display your awesome power against me.

You bring new witnesses against me
and increase your anger toward me;
your forces come against me wave upon wave.

“Why then did you bring me out of the womb?
I wish I had died before any eye saw me.

If only I had never come into being,
or had been carried straight from the womb to the grave!

Are not my few days almost over?
Turn away from me so I can have a moment’s joy

before I go to the place of no return,
to the land of gloom and utter darkness,

to the land of deepest night,
of utter darkness and disorder,
where even the light is like darkness.”

You’re scared of the great chemical flash? With that bombardment of chemicals, you’ll not be scared. You’ll be high on happiness. You’ll float away to nothing or something. You aren’t scared of that final happiness.

671 Words

31 Reviews

Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:44 am
WeepingWisteria says...

Darvi Esther
Rule number one: Keep the enemy guessing.
Darvi tightened around the enemy's neck, keeping xer body a tight tangle of tensed muscle. Nails dug at scales, tugging endlessly at the outmost layer of skin, but Darvi was never one to let go of a target. She knew when to stop and when the target was the most dangerous. Nothing would stop Darvi, not even the moon imploding in on itself.
The hands on her body slowed, once determined claws sluggishly becoming mere shoves before the enemy crumpled, falling forward in an almost dead faint.
Ha, they're the type to give until they can't. They had no strength to catch themselves.
Darvi waited; he would never be foolish enough to be fooled by the initial fall. Too many have tried to use it as a means of an easy escape. So Darvi counted to thirty after that satisfying thud before unraveling, finally slithering off the enemy's neck and popping into xemself again.
"So, you're the one that thought they could take care of a Gemini guard. Please."
Fae dug their knees into the enemy's back, keeping her knee directly on the spine.
Rule number two: Always consider every chance to escape.
The enemy wore plenty of loose cloth, perfect for hidden pockets and secret weapons. But Darvi had one thing no amount of clothing could dull: experience.
Always remove the outmost layer and search thoroughly. If it's hard, take it away.
Most would be surprised how easily a captive could turn something into a weapon. Novice guards focus only on things like knives or firearms. They ignore belt buckles, glasses, and key chains. Even the clothes on one's back could easily snap a person's neck, but Darvi was civilized. Besides, Darvi knew how to maintain an advantage. If the enemy believed they could catch them by surprise, they had another thing coming,
By the time Darvi was finished, they had a neat pile of daggers of various sizes and a few vials of potions. For all ze knew, they cough syrup, but it's best not to take risks—those needed to be disposed of first, quickly and safely. Any mistakes meant the danger of death.
"Honestly, you tried to double-back, so I thought you'd be better than this. Unfortunately for you, you have almost nothing on you. Those three darts were all you had." She grinned, a sudden sense of pride taking place in her chest cavity. "You fell for my act. You thought I was incompetent. What a shame. It squandered all of your potential."
Darvi tied the enemy's wrists and ankles, weaving the rope in such a convoluted mess of rope it was impossible to discern what kind of knot it even was, let alone how to untie it. He hoisted them onto a creaking tree branch before dragging them through the forest.
Rule number three: Never let an incapacitated target close to your body. You never know when they'll wake up or what state they'll be in. There is an ex-captain who grew cocky with experience and had slung a captive over his shoulder. Once the target woke up, they blinded him with their thumbs. No surprise there, really. The end of the hunt is the most dangerous and a cornered animal the most deadly.
"Just in case you're already awake and listening in, let me tell you something. I joined the guard when I was sixteen, making this my fifteenth year. I have seen the best luck and the worst choices in my time. But, make no mistake; you are not getting away from me. Not now, and not any time soon."
Rule number four: Your camp is your lifeblood; treat it as such.
Darvi immediately tied the enemy to a tree, repeating the same twisting, duplicating maze of a knot. She made sure the enemy could sit as comfortably as possible with their arms twisted around a tree. There was never a need to abuse captives. That would fuel the flames smoldering in their lungs, blackening their spirits. Kindness isn't enough to give them a change of heart, but it is enough to make them hesitate before a killing blow. And that hesitation has saved Darvi's life many times over.
As for killing the enemy, that simply wouldn't do. For all Darvi knew, they were an overpassionate protestor who wanted a taste of justice. What good would killing that kind of person do when the world was already against them? Never take a life unless there's a benefit in that exchange. Death becomes murder when it's needless and selfish. So Darvi, while responsible for a few deaths, was decidedly not a murderer.
While the captive worked themself out of the dredges of unconsciousness, Darvi could start a simple hunter's stew. Something to make the captive comfortable, maybe even open up about their intentions—anything to give Darvi an edge.
She looked towards the captive, whose face was now discernible, and smiled. "Alright then. Let's see who you are once you wake up."
836 Words
She/They/Fae

30 Reviews

Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:45 am
NewHope says...

Rigel

The smell of food cooking drifted heavily to her nose and she let her feet guide her towards it, too giddy to realize what was happening. But her feet did not move and no matter how much she pulled her arms would not come loose of the boundings upon the tree. She screamed in protest like an animal roaring in rage. "What is this?"
"Oh, hey there," her captor smiled.
"What is this?"
Rigel stared at the person sitting next to a fire somewhere in the shallow darkness. "Look for this," Esther said holding up a white shawl.
"That's mine," she blurted angrily, watching the bitch let it simply drift into the flames, "Don't worry, I'll give you the rest back later."
Rigel almost screamed at the sight of her half-naked body. "Moon! Moon! Protect me!"
"Oh shut up already," Esther said in a tone that felt like a slap.
Rigel snapped her mouth shut, she had never acted like this, ever, and she promised herself she never would again. She submerged herself in her thoughts, thinking over and over in circles. The bitch. The bitch. The bitch. The bitch. The bitch.
She listened to Esther quietly.
"Do you know how amateur this was? Thinking yourself better than any opponent. Well, you're not. The way you fought, the way you anticipated my moves, you fell for the oldest trick in the book. Faux Imcomptentance. Is that the best you got?"
Rigel glared at her in solitude. The bitch. The bitch. The bitch. The bitch.
"I can imagine what you're thinking. I've been in enough of these situations to understand the mind of a prisoner. What am I? A dog? A little shit? A bitch?"
Rigel's face contorted barely.
"Oh yes. I know exactly what you're going on about. Why should you get to think that? No soup tonight. Does that sound nice? Oh no. I'm not like that. You can think nice things about me. I've seen guards force-feed prisoners their own toes, I'm not anything like that."
Rigel glared at Darvi as they walked towards her, a bowl of stew in each hand.
"How have you spiked it? The oldest trick in the book, a little show and meanwhile you're off poisoning me," Rigel snapped abruptly.
"I haven't. Not at all. Not even the smallest drop. I'll have a spoon from each bowl. But, if I wanted you dead, you wouldn't be awake right now."
Rigel watched in amusement, wishing she could have punched her face so hard it would look like a meteor had hit it.
"See?"
Rigel nodded and snatched the bowl, shoving soup into her mouth.

441 Words

30 Reviews

Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:49 am
NewHope says...

The Bellows

The world is lonely in the light where all the gaps of missing people shimmer beneath the Sun. Everyone cries when one person is lost though nobody cares much when thousands of them are lost. So cry your hearts out and dump the rest in communal graves. We'll have a part and stomp on their wet earth so hard we break someone's arm. Wait for the night and snuff out the lantern, nobody will ever know if they never see it. Just kill the girl already, make her eat a snake while you're at it. Let it bite her too. Such fun. I could cry with joy, amazing isn't it. Kill the man, I'll feed him his own ear this time and make him lie in a pool of congealed blood until he eats it like salty jelly. Then I'll laugh because I'm in the darkness and nobody will ever see the missing people down hear. Because they see only pitch-black darkness. Because they only hear the screaming silence of darkness. Because every single thing I do is in the dark, the shadows, until one day I kill the darkness and claim for myself. Hide in its figure and play with its stars like a ball passed around the sky, in search of its master. But no more searching. Because I'm the one who made him it. Cut off his other because he was such a good boy. Almost did the same with his nose but I wanted him to smell himself dying, smell himself putrefying. Just an average Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. And then boom, dead, for no reason at all. Ka-bam. I blew him apart with one touch. Such a fun and average Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. It always is in the darkness. They say monsters come out to play. I just say monsters get to play. They get to have so much fun. Guess what? I even drew a swastika on that guy, I think he's Jewish. Big nose. And I cut off this big white guy's legs last week and had a fight with him. Such fun. I wasn't really sure if he was dead then or when I made a mamba bite him. Always fun in the darkness. Always on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Such great big fun. I even get to. Oh. He's screaming again. This is going to be fun.

408 Words

31 Reviews

Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:53 am
WeepingWisteria says...

Spoiler! :
This post was written by @Chaser. I simply posted it on Chaser's behalf. This writing is not my own.

Enki Sarameya
With a quick screech, the grate where she had entered was pulled away from the wall, letting in a column of dim light into the vent. Before Belinda could hide herself around the vent corner, a head with short, dark hair popped through, coughed once, and looked at her. "Heya," it said.
Belinda found herself making a high-pitched noise, her body extending to get away and banging her head against the side of the vent. Did I really just squeak? she thought hazily, but after that, plans were crackling through her head. She didn't know where all of the vents led, but they all had to lead outside eventually. If this Guard tried to drag her out of the vent, she could make it away before backup arrived. Jasper jumped down from her chest, his back arched, hissing.
The figure waved its hands quickly. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on a second, I got something for you." They held up a finger with one hand and rifled in their shirt with the other, drawing out a squashed, oblong shape. "Fish cake for your thoughts?"
Jasper edged forward a few feet. The Guard put the shape down and patted it, drawing back to watch Belinda and Jasper with careful eyes. Belinda could see more of their face now; there was a nasty bruise across their cheek, as well as dirt covering on their upper neck and chest.
Jasper sniffed at the shape for five seconds, then picked it up in his mouth and scampered back to Belinda. She gently accepted it from him; it seemed to actually be a fish cake.
"You know, if this is poisoned, it won't do anything. Perks of being a necromancer," she said, taking a small bite, "it's very hard to kill you." The fish cake didn't taste like anything dangerous, except maybe preservatives.
The Guard scratched their chin, smiling. "Oh, so you're a necromancer. Interesting, didn't expect that."
Belinda shrugged. "No one does. It's pretty helpful."
The Guard's eye twinkled. "Alright, give the fish cake back and I'll poison it for you, see if you're telling the truth."
Belinda passed the cake back to Jasper, who carried it hesitantly back to the Guard. "I'm in academia, so I've tested myself with up to five hundred milligrams of cyanide, two hundred fifty parts-per-million of arsenic, and obscene amounts of household bleach."
The Guard grabbed the fish cake like a coin, holding it up to the light. "Interesting. How are you with hunger?" Without warning, they dropped their jaw and popped the rest of the fish cake in, chewing with gleeful abandon. "You're gonna starve if you stay here, you know."
"Too many variables to determine it exactly. Water intake, level of activity, stress levels. But, since you don't have enough poison to kill me, I'll gladly eat a fishcake if you have another one."
The Guard gulped, and Belinda watched the bulge travel down their throat. "Sorry, that was the last one. You'd have to come with me to get more."
"And pray tell, why would I come with you?"
The Guard waved a finger, sing-songing their words. "Because I've got the good food, yes I do. Besides, doesn't look like your cat's got much meat on those bones, or anything really."
Belinda laughed, stroking Jasper. "Yeah, Jaspie hasn't eaten since he died. What do you want to talk about, though?"
"I want to know about the Gemini Guard. Anything Gemini-related would be useful, though." "Her name is Darvi. And he's not a guy, they're non-binary. All pronouns. And they're innocent. Gemini's a... character, for sure."
The Guard's brow furrowed. "What kind of character? Good or bad, you think?"
"Eccentric for sure, but well-meaning. Too social to cause any harm. Abraham Maslow would have a few things to say about her people-pleasing."
The Guard blinked, eyes wide, then spoke slowly. "Ah, yes. Maslow. The guy with opinions on people-pleasing." They paused for a few seconds. "Do you think Darvi was capable of killing Cancer?"
"No! They couldn't. Darvi is a special kind of guard. They're not in it for the glory or out of jealousy, they want to protect... everyone. Darvi must be devastated."
The Guard held a hand up. "I'm not asking about their morals. I'm asking about if they were physically capable of killing the Cancer Zodiac...and if they would have done it if Gemini had asked them."
Belinda shifted her sitting position, rubbing her neck. "Between you and me, Darvi doesn't have a strong star power. Xer's a shapeshifter. Not exactly the boost you need to kill a Zodiac. Gemini wouldn't ask thon to, but even is she did, Darvi wouldn't."
The Guard shrugged. "Eh. Even so, Darvi's the only person with information that could lead us to whoever killed Cancer. I'm on my way to go ask xer, actually."
Belinda startled. "I was too! I was waiting for the riot to die down."
The Guard rubbed their neck, which Belinda could see was pretty bruised too. "I don't think the riot's dying anytime soon. Makes a good cover for us, though. Assuming you want to come with me."
"I do. Two conspirators make better conspiracies than one."
The Guard frowned. "Who're you calling a conspirator, man?" They jab a thumb at themselves. "I'm the Great Detective Enki Sarameya, thank you very much."
"Call yourself what you want, but I'm Public Enemy Number One just for being related to Darvi. The fact that I'm not in a prison cell already on death row makes me a conspirator."
"That's only what everyone else would call you," Enki said. "Since you're already set against them, you can call yourself whatever you want, right? So what should I call you?"
"You can call me my name, Belinda. Or you can call me a dedicated sister. Or you can call me an idiot. I've learned not to care about what others call me. Labels are just highlighter on your skin, easily washed away and easily ignored."
Enki smiled. "Then from now on, you're also a detective." They extended their hand. "Now, let's solve a murder."
Belinda grinned and took Enki's hand. "Sounds good to me."

1,029 Words
She/They/Fae

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:48 am
Chaser says...

Enki waited outside of the bathroom facilities, eating the other fishcake they'd brought with them. From this vantage point in the Library, they could see down at least three shelves to the balcony, with a little of the first floor and doorway in view beyond them.

Still, waiting here had its risks. If the Libra Guard -- or any other Guard, for that matter, came bursting through the door, Enki and their accomplice, Detective Belinda, could really only escape through a window, popping out on the second story. Just the thought of being so far from the ground made Enki's knees wobble. Fish were never meant to fly, their mother had said. The fear of heights had come from her side of the family.

Enki had been to Libra Ship only once in the past, with their mother. She'd been summoned to appear in a dispute between the Pisces fishermen and the Scorpio waste brigadiers. Enki remembered the look of the courtroom -- the judge's stand looming above, made of wood polished until it shone like a pillar of crystal. They remembered the look of the Scorpio men sitting across the courtroom: brooding and unsettled, like a stormy sunrise. They remembered their mother in the witness's pulpit at the ground level, presenting her case.

The dumping of waste from the Scorpio ship had started to cause garbage to turn up in the trawling nets of the Pisces fishermen, but who was Pisces to drag their nets across the entire ocean floor, raking up whatever they found? Simply put, they were fisherfolk. Enki remembered their mother's iron-wrought shoulders heaving as she spoke, bearing the harsh light of the courtroom. She argued that trawling was necessary to meet increased demand for fish from all the ships, and the representative of the Scorpio, an irritated-looking man with clawed fingers, wondered aloud whether the Vessels even needed the services of the Pisces. "We've had other sources of food for centuries," he'd said, sneering. "Why're we sacrificing what we need just so the Pisces can feel important?"

The courtroom had burst open in shock, but Enki and the fishermens' shouts were quickly vanquished by the booming voice of the judge.

"We shall have order," they said. Those words had rung in Enki's head, crystallizing the scene before them. Rows of fishermen and barge workers pitted against each other in vitriol, their eyes and tongues alight with rage. But they would be frozen in the light of the courtroom, which shone down on all of them. The judges in a Libra courtroom were up so high, and the overhead lights shawled their heads in stark shadows. Enki could not see their eyes, and Enki's mother -- Enki would notice it later as they left the courtroom -- was beginning to fight back tears.

The taste of justice was unflinchingly sour, and Enki could not remember what the judges had ruled. Instead, it was just the voice drowning out their emotions, telling them "We shall have order. We shall have order."

Enki wasn't sure what they were going to do once they found out the truth. But whatever it was, it wouldn't leave Enki feeling so cold as when the judge called for order, heedless of the emotions of those they were judging. Justice like that would make you cry. A justice that gave nothing back, because balance was all that mattered, and the Libra judges could give or take however much from people to make that happen, whittle them down to equal nothingness.

"I gotta think less, man," they muttered, rubbing their head. Getting so far ahead of themselves was poor form for a detective.

Two knocks sounded from behind the bathroom door. Enki went over and returned three knocks. There was a sigh from within, and Enki sighed a bit too, because there was always comfort in a well-executed password. The door swung open, and Belinda was standing in front of them, now decked head-to-toe in the bright, robelike garb of a Libra citizen. Libra's dress sense, along with Virgo's, was pretty dated, but the swoop of the cream-colored tunic and bright gold clasp at the neck somehow befitted Belinda's bookish quirk. The grey powdered wig, on the other hand, didn't match at all, but it hid most of her features well.

Enki rubbed their chin, smiling. "Well, look who's a fine, upstanding Libra all of a sudden."

Belinda gave a wan smile in return. "I'm not sure if they fit --" she trailed off for a second, staring at Enki's hand.

Enki looked down and realized that they were still holding the fishcake, and immediately stuffed it in their mouth. "Hm!" they said, pretending to be in deep thought. "Hm."

"Hm," Belinda repeated, raising a bemused eyebrow.

Enki swallowed. "Once we buy some food, I'm thinking we head into the forest between here and the mountain. If we're quick enough, we can catch the prison carriage before it reaches the courts."

"That would make sense," Belinda said, "if we knew the path the carriage was travelling." The Libra mountain paths had many twists and turns, as well as different routes to confound those trying to escape their fate. The mountains had a reputation for being just as unforgiving as the courts.

Enki shrugged. "A case that big, they can only try at their biggest court. We can work backwards from there. There's just not enough time to gather any more leads right now."
Belinda poked her chin with a finger. "I suppose so. Still, some start for your big case, isn't it?"

"I've had worse," Enki lied. "By the way, where's your cat?"

Belinda reached up and adjusted her wig; the skeletal face of her cat popped into view between the rolls of hair. A face without muscles couldn't express anything, but Enki could have sworn the cat was grinning.

"If I sneeze, this thing will fly right off," she muttered, settling the wig over her head. "Do Libra women have helmet straps for these?"

Enki shrugged. "I don't really know. The one I got you was in the men's section."

Belinda looked at him gravely. "So they have gendered wig styles," she said.

Enki nodded solemnly. "Yeah, man."

They both looked pensive for a moment before chortling in quiet library voices. As they did, though, Enki could feel the weight of their mission settling in. At this point, getting caught meant a lot of things for them, and even more for Belinda. Looking back at her, though, Enki was determined not to show it on their face.

"Let's head out," they said.

-----------------

The Libra woods were dark and deep, and Enki felt the soft underbrush lap at their shoes as they forged ahead. This was a unique sensation of springiness unknown to most fishermen, and each step could be the last one before a collapse into this peaceful forest floor. This was probably the longest they'd ever walked in their life, but still, they blazed the trail.

Well, really, Belinda was blazing the trail, since she was more familiar with the region. "You'd be surprised how far a good nature guide will get you," she said as she wove their way through the grove. "Don't step on that, it's poisonous."

"Hm?" Enki said, looking up. They hadn't seen what Belinda had pointed at, and suddenly, every sprout of green leaves seemed to be a snake's venom tongue. Were the tongues venomous? They could probably ask Belinda about that, too.

"Hurry up, now," came the call from ahead. Belinda was leaning against a tree, looking back at him. It was clear that she was beginning to have to catch her breath, too, but the look in her eyes let Enki know that it would be a while before they could even think of stopping. Well, that was fine. Enki tiptoed forward as fast as they could.

The sunlight, which had dappled the forest floor when they'd entered, was slowly bleeding red and sinking behind the mountains. By the time they crested, it would likely be nightfall. Neither of them wanted to think about stopping yet, but they wouldn't make it to the royal court before nightfall. All they could hope for was a sign that Darvi had passed this way.

The slope of the mountain became steeper and steeper. Enki leaned forward and dug in with the balls of their feet, ignoring the burning in their calves. It was just like the first day on a fishing boat, except that kind of work had you busting your arms and shoulders instead. It was a small custom that if there was a new worker aboard, everyone would slap them on the back and shoulders once at the end of the day. A good welcoming ceremony, but also surprisingly helpful for the stiffness the next day.

"Once we find xem," Belinda said, panting. "What then?"

"We sit down for dinner," Enki quipped, wheezing. "Think the Guard will let us borrow them?"

Belinda shook her head. "I just hope she's okay."

Enki nodded. They had to admit, a sibling bond like that was impressive. It made them all the more sure that one way or another, Belinda would find Darvi. Though, with her devotion to xir factoring in as well, Enki wasn't entirely certain that finding Darvi would resolve everything. It lead to truth, yeah, but also to danger. They'd have to find out how much of each soon.

Enki snapped their fingers. "Here's a thought. What if they took Darvi out of the carriage, or they just broke free?"

"The first one doesn't seem that likely, and the second one doesn't seem possible. Unless someone broke them out," Belinda added, frowning. "But who would do that?"

"The real killer, maybe?" Or maybe Darvi has been hiding enough power to kill Cancer.

"Right, but why go to the trouble of setting Darvi up first? It doesn't make sense." The two of them were then silent for some time as the path steepened, and they had to grab branches to stay upright. Enki found an invigorating buoyancy to the handhold of a young tree limb, but still struggled to keep walking.

"Who do you think it is? The real killer," Belinda asked.

"Theories upon theories, man. Scorpio's got a motive, but you could really make that case for every other Zodiac at that meeting, right? And if they've got a motive, it naturally extends to their Guard too, doesn't it?"

Belinda seemed uncomfortable. "Not always."

"Maybe not all of them. Still, you've got twelve different Guards if you count Cancer's, and that's multiplied by how many guards each Zodiac brings, which is...?"

"About ten."

"For a grand total of one-hundred and twenty plus eleven suspects. Motives aren't gonna help us. We've got to figure out their method, too. Which is why we need Darvi to tell us how Cancer was killed."

"Darvi didn't do it," Belinda responded, "but I see. They were with Cancer's corpse, so she might have seen some clues to how he was killed."

"Right, and once we get that? Problem solved. We find the constellation that was capable of killing him." The sun vanished beneath the horizon, and the woods were steeped in darkness.

Belinda started, "Right, I -- get down." It was a command that was hushed in its tone, but unmistakably urgent. Enki flopped to the ground, Belinda landing beside them, rolling over to hide their face. Enki, unsure what to think, followed her lead.

The sound of footsteps began to grow in the distance, their regularity shattering the abstract rhythm of the woodland noise. Enki could hear the clinking of swords at belts, and faintly, the crackling of torchwood.

"Spread out and search the area," a voice called. "That means all of you. If Esther escapes, it's the end for all of the vessels."

Faintly, the footsteps dispersed radially, a few sets growing louder as people neared Enki's hiding spot. As Enki laid there, it occurred to them that while you were hiding, you were saddled with an overwhelming urge to check whether your hiding spot was good enough. To do that now, though, would defeat the whole point. So they pressed their face a little deeper into the dirt and tried to ignore the welling cramps in their legs.

"Can't believe they're making us do this," a voice said. "As if catching Esther's gonna decrease any of our sentences."

"You know, they're just afraid," another, rougher voice said. "If Esther could take out a Zodiac, what do you think he'd do to them? They're just hoping he kills one of us first."

"You don't really believe that, do you? Fae's a shapeshifter. She could have just pretended to be Cancer's lover or something and stabbed him when his guard was down. Esther just got lucky."

"Maybe," the other prisoner admitted. "But if they show up, I'm still ditching your ass behind."

"We're chained together, douchebag."

"Hey!" the loud voice from before called out. "That's far enough for you. Get back to the line."

"Oh, see that? They don't even trust us to behave out here. As if we'd run."

"Yeah, let's just go." A shuffle and clinking escorted the voices away. The footsteps drew together again and receded into the night.

Enki waited a minute. They waited five minutes. They could have waited there the whole night before they felt Belinda's hand against their back. "They're gone," she whispered.

The two of them rolled over, and Enki blew the air out their lungs straight up, like a whale. "That was awful," they said. "Man, it really is this hard not to get caught, isn't it?"

"It is," Belinda said. "But didn't you hear that? They were looking for Darvi."

"So Darvi was able to get away!" Enki exclaimed. "Good for them! That simplifies things."

"But why would they do that?" Belinda said, sitting up. "I thought for sure that they'd at least go to the trial. This makes them look even more guilty!"

Sure does, Enki thought, looking at Belinda with an adjusted gaze. Odds were, they wouldn't be able to subdue both her and her twin when they all met. It was always frustrating to be in a position where the raw power of your constellation determined how far you could advance. The best that the weak could do was keep a loose hand on the net, and wait for the pull.

They got up, picking the sticks out of their clothes. Up in Belinda's wig, Jasper spat out a mouthful of dirt. "If Darvi's around here, you probably have the best chance of finding them," Enki said. "Where do you think they'd go?"

Belinda scratched her head. "Darvi could probably survive in this wilderness. The best I can guess is that he'd remain high up on the mountain, to discourage anyone following xem. They wouldn't need to try and find the Libra cities."

"Alright. Man, I guess we're just gonna keep climbing." Enki bent down and stretched their calves, which felt like saltwater taffy tearing apart.

"Looks like it," Belinda said, but it looked as though her mood had improved. "We're not too far behind xir now."

2524 words
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

30 Reviews

Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:21 am
NewHope says...

Rigel Moonlight

A stallion races
Hooves digging into the earth with each planted trot
Mane wavering black as midnight
Nostrils flaring in search of air

Nudging the mare softly and carrying on
Running to the horizon
Somewhere far past sunrise
Where no one has ever been

Still racing the coastline for the end of the Earth
Where it will learn to fly
Like a pegasus of old
Where no one has ever been

Heart fluttering
As the trodding rhythm of hooves
Beats the speed of sound
And circles forever through the night

Erupting in an explosion of light
Like the death of a star
And the beginning of a thousand more
That it will beat in its race to the universe's warping walls

Still going further
And faster like a bullet train that never stops
Galloping through the foam
Of time itself

But leaving everything behind
The mare dead of childbirth
The filly starved
Never having tasted the dewy stalks of grass

Every sunrise that it will not see
Every sunset that will pass without it
Every moonlit sky that will scream with silence
Just for it to never hear it

Every horse broken
Like shattered windows
As it rips through the fabric
Of everything and nothing

Just in its race to win
Its self-indulgent pride
Of its long-dead partner
And filly with its young legs too long

And she imagined a horse, eyes a thousand pieces. Never seeing... never hearing... always hating. A tear slowly rolling down its face, through the fine bristles of its snout and then dripping. Seeming to fall forever but seeming to last a second... the soft plop, the reminder of fresh glistening green grass. Every day a torment of hatred and heart. The bucking bronco veering backwards, hoping that one day it shall fall over and have its head snapped back. Seeing no meaning left to live. Seeing no reason why every heartbreaking day should wrench it to pieces and throw it to the ground in wrath... why every tear-streaked smile should even be called a smile. Because it isn't a smile, it's just a simple curved line imprinted on your face that betrays every emotion. That kills you every time you rush it and then rips you back out of the ground to live forever like a vampire that shows in the mirror. Just an immortal person among the ordinary convoluted with grief.

She remembered that old stallion lying somewhere in the sands... and now she was the last mare, the second of the genus that would tragically never die. That would forever be in hatred of not dying. In the insanity of not wanting to live any longer because every step hurts like a kick to the shin and yet isn't how many times you fall but how many times you get up. And she would lie flat and people would scream and sing songs about the mare on its back before they came to rid it of its never-ending misery with the blade of a hacksaw to its throat. Billy, billy, bally, the world is like a starling. Glimmering in the starlight. Beneath the grace of God and all his might. Billy, billy, bally do you recognize the horse's flight. Do you remember the horse's light? Let it die in the sands of time. Otherwise, it may fight. They sang it cruelly, hoped the rhyme would distract the children and carried on. But the mare woke up again.

575 Words (1925 Words To Go)

30 Reviews

Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:39 am
NewHope says...

The Bellows

There’s something about darkness that frightens people. The impossibility of finding the creature lurking in the dark. The fact that when you close your eyes the world becomes a muted black. Fearful that when you die they’ll close your eyes. But you aren’t scared of death. You’re scared of the unknown. The implications. Will your body rot and be nothing? Will you prance around in Heaven? Will you sink in the seas of Hell? You’re gathering all of your life for one point. An afterlife you’re unsure is real. You aren’t scared of death. But you’ll only answer in prayer singing as if your singing will truly resonate.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.
This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.

Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
Fear the Lord, you his holy people,
for those who fear him lack nothing.
The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Whoever of you loves life
and desires to see many good days,
keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from telling lies.
Turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
and his ears are attentive to their cry;
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
to blot out their name from the earth.

The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

The righteous person may have many troubles,
but the Lord delivers him from them all;
he protects all his bones,
not one of them will be broken.

And I’ll betray your mighty word with your own scripture. I’ll betray your mighty word with the vile voice of Job.

After this, Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth.He said:
“May the day of my birth perish, and the night that said, ‘A boy is conceived!’
That day—may it turn to darkness; may God above not care about it; may no light shine on it.
May gloom and utter darkness claim it once more; may a cloud settle over it; may blackness overwhelm it.
That night—may thick darkness seize it; may it not be included among the days of the year nor be entered in any of the months.
May that night be barren; may no shout of joy be heard in it.
May those who curse days curse that day, those who are ready to rouse Leviathan.
May its morning stars become dark; may it wait for daylight in vain and not see the first rays of dawn,
for it did not shut the doors of the womb on me to hide trouble from my eyes.
“Why did I not perish at birth, and die as I came from the womb?
Why were there knees to receive me and breasts that I might be nursed?
For now I would be lying down in peace; I would be asleep and at rest
with kings and rulers of the earth, who built for themselves places now lying in ruins,
with princes who had gold, who filled their houses with silver.
Or why was I not hidden away in the ground like a stillborn child, like an infant who never saw the light of day?
There the wicked cease from turmoil, and there the weary are at rest.
Captives also enjoy their ease; they no longer hear the slave driver’s shout.
The small and the great are there, and the slaves are freed from their owners.
“Why is light given to those in misery, and life to the bitter of soul,
to those who long for death that does not come, who search for it more than for hidden treasure,
who are filled with gladness and rejoice when they reach the grave?
Why is life given to a man whose way is hidden, whom God has hedged in?
For sighing has become my daily food; my groans pour out like water.
What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me.
I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil.”

“If only my anguish could be weighed and all my misery be placed on the scales!
It would surely outweigh the sand of the seas— no wonder my words have been impetuous.
The arrows of the Almighty are in me, my spirit drinks in their poison; God’s terrors are marshaled against me.
Does a wild donkey bray when it has grass, or an ox bellow when it has fodder?
Is tasteless food eaten without salt, or is there flavor in the sap of the mallow ?
I refuse to touch it; such food makes me ill.
“Oh, that I might have my request, that God would grant what I hope for,
that God would be willing to crush me, to let loose his hand and cut off my life!
Then I would still have this consolation— my joy in unrelenting pain— that I had not denied the words of the Holy One.
“What strength do I have, that I should still hope? What prospects, that I should be patient?
Do I have the strength of stone? Is my flesh bronze?
Do I have any power to help myself, now that success has been driven from me?
“Anyone who withholds kindness from a friend forsakes the fear of the Almighty.
But my brothers are as undependable as intermittent streams, as the streams that overflow
when darkened by thawing ice and swollen with melting snow,
but that stop flowing in the dry season, and in the heat vanish from their channels.
Caravans turn aside from their routes; they go off into the wasteland and perish.
The caravans of Tema look for water, the traveling merchants of Sheba look in hope.
They are distressed, because they had been confident; they arrive there, only to be disappointed.
Now you too have proved to be of no help; you see something dreadful and are afraid.
Have I ever said, ‘Give something on my behalf, pay a ransom for me from your wealth,
deliver me from the hand of the enemy, rescue me from the clutches of the ruthless’?
“Teach me, and I will be quiet; show me where I have been wrong.
How painful are honest words! But what do your arguments prove?
Do you mean to correct what I say, and treat my desperate words as wind?
You would even cast lots for the fatherless and barter away your friend.
“But now be so kind as to look at me. Would I lie to your face?
Relent, do not be unjust; reconsider, for my integrity is at stake.
Is there any wickedness on my lips? Can my mouth not discern malice?

“Do not mortals have hard service on earth? Are not their days like those of hired laborers?
Like a slave longing for the evening shadows, or a hired laborer waiting to be paid,
so I have been allotted months of futility, and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’ The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn.
My body is clothed with worms and scabs, my skin is broken and festering.
“My days are swifter than a weaver’s shuttle, and they come to an end without hope.
Remember, O God, that my life is but a breath; my eyes will never see happiness again.
The eye that now sees me will see me no longer; you will look for me, but I will be no more.
As a cloud vanishes and is gone, so one who goes down to the grave does not return.
He will never come to his house again; his place will know him no more.
“Therefore I will not keep silent; I will speak out in the anguish of my spirit, I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.
Am I the sea, or the monster of the deep, that you put me under guard?
When I think my bed will comfort me and my couch will ease my complaint,
even then you frighten me with dreams and terrify me with visions,
so that I prefer strangling and death, rather than this body of mine.
I despise my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone; my days have no meaning.
“What is mankind that you make so much of them, that you give them so much attention,
that you examine them every morning and test them every moment?
Will you never look away from me, or let me alone even for an instant?
If I have sinned, what have I done to you, you who see everything we do? Why have you made me your target? Have I become a burden to you?
Why do you not pardon my offenses and forgive my sins? For I will soon lie down in the dust; you will search for me, but I will be no more.”

“Indeed, I know that this is true. But how can mere mortals prove their innocence before God?
Though they wished to dispute with him, they could not answer him one time out of a thousand.
His wisdom is profound, his power is vast. Who has resisted him and come out unscathed?
He moves mountains without their knowing it and overturns them in his anger.
He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble.
He speaks to the sun and it does not shine; he seals off the light of the stars.
He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea.
He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.
When he passes me, I cannot see him; when he goes by, I cannot perceive him.
If he snatches away, who can stop him? Who can say to him, ‘What are you doing?’
God does not restrain his anger; even the cohorts of Rahab cowered at his feet.
“How then can I dispute with him? How can I find words to argue with him?
Though I were innocent, I could not answer him; I could only plead with my Judge for mercy.
Even if I summoned him and he responded, I do not believe he would give me a hearing.
He would crush me with a storm and multiply my wounds for no reason.
He would not let me catch my breath but would overwhelm me with misery.
If it is a matter of strength, he is mighty! And if it is a matter of justice, who can challenge him ?
Even if I were innocent, my mouth would condemn me; if I were blameless, it would pronounce me guilty.
“Although I am blameless, I have no concern for myself; I despise my own life.
It is all the same; that is why I say, ‘He destroys both the blameless and the wicked.’
When a scourge brings sudden death, he mocks the despair of the innocent.
When a land falls into the hands of the wicked, he blindfolds its judges. If it is not he, then who is it?
“My days are swifter than a runner; they fly away without a glimpse of joy.
They skim past like boats of papyrus, like eagles swooping down on their prey.
If I say, ‘I will forget my complaint, I will change my expression, and smile,’
I still dread all my sufferings, for I know you will not hold me innocent.
Since I am already found guilty, why should I struggle in vain?
Even if I washed myself with soap and my hands with cleansing powder,
you would plunge me into a slime pit so that even my clothes would detest me.
“He is not a mere mortal like me that I might answer him, that we might confront each other in court.
If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together,
someone to remove God’s rod from me, so that his terror would frighten me no more.
Then I would speak up without fear of him, but as it now stands with me, I cannot.

You’re scared of the great chemical flash? With that bombardment of chemicals, you’ll not be scared. You’ll be high on happiness. You’ll float away to nothing or something. You aren’t scared of that final happiness.

2175 Words

31 Reviews

Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:04 am
WeepingWisteria says...

Belinda Esther

Belinda never took much time off from the library. Why would she when the shelves of books held enough material for a thousand vacations? Why feel the need to travel to another vessel when rearrangements of the same twenty-six letters could take you to entirely new worlds?

But, the time she did take mainly was for travelling. Books were terrific, but standing there, surrounded by real-world glory, would always be leagues above what her imagination could create. Belinda was twenty-one by the time she could claim she had been to every vessel. She had taken guided tours of forests, towns, and castles. Belinda had wandered down dizzying alleyways and grassland. Each vessel had left a mark over her chest, a tattoo of where she had been, who she had met.

In part, who she had become.

So, wandering the forest of the Libra ship wasn't too tricky. Belinda had practically built the shelves dedicated to nature survival (the previous Gemini never liked getting their hands dirty), so while she was no Orion, she felt comfortable she wouldn't die.

"Has Darvi ever been out here before? You seem convinced he would've been able to make it this high."

Enki settled themselves to rest at the base of a tree, the shade dappling over their forehead in the sunset. Belinda shrugged, finally taking a seat across from them. "Keeping track of Darvi is a hassle in the best of times. From their stories about Guard training, I wouldn't be surprised if I found fae in an active volcano."

Enki frowned, petting Jasper as he nuzzled their hand. "Wouldn't that be just a tad lethal?"

"Not if Darvi shapeshifted into some sort of extremophile."

"Right, yes. One of those things. I know all about those."

Jasper mewed one final time and shambled his way to Belinda, curling up tightly in her lap. Enki sighed from the loss. Belinda stroked Jasper's forehead, smiling to herself as he purred. "All we can do now is wait for daylight or hope Darvi finds us first."

339 Words
She/They/Fae

I exist as I am, that is enough
— Walt Whitman