Young Writers Society

Runeseeker

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:48 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

Maji Nobuna

Maji gulped down a helping of hot chocolate, letting the liquid swish around in her mouth before swallowing it. It formed a sphere in her gullet that slowly turned pink. “This has gotta be the best post-job reward I’ve ever had,” she said. “How do you make this stuff?”

“Take the beans of a cacao tree and crush them up. Two parts boiling water, one part separately boiled milk. Serve it in a smokewood mug for flavor.” Babbock rattled off the recipe and glanced over, slightly abashed. “I was the cocoa boy for a while when I started.”

Tetia smirked. “Oh, so that’s not just our branch. Good to know that every Library officer makes the drinks at some point.”

Babbock laughed. “I’ll have to try some of yours, then.”

Berkel held her mug in both hands, the steam rising and breaking lightly against her face. She hadn’t taken a sip since she’d been handed it. Maji sidled up on the break room bench.

“Looking for a fortune?” she asked, nudging Berkel’s shoulder.

Berkel looked up, confused. “For what?”

“A fortune.” Maji pointed to the curls of the lighter cocoa beans in the darker mixture. “It’s this old tradition on Terramina that drinks can tell the future. See, the patches here represent the night sky. Or a forest. Or a raven.”

Berkel swished her mug around slightly, disturbing the patterns. “And what’s my future now?” she asked, a slight smile on her face.

Maji thought for a second and smiled. “It says here that your future is drinking cold cocoa.”

“My cocoa’s fortune telling isn’t very good,” Berkel said simply, tipping the mug back and drinking.

“Well, it’s no divination magic,” Maji admitted.

“That’s right, you’re a diviner, aren’t you?” Babbock turned to Maji. “I’ve always been fascinated with the School of Seeing.”

“Oh, the School of Seeing! School of Seeing. It’s great there. Lots of, um, eyes. For seeing. But also metaphorically.” Maji engaged her finest salesperson tactics to steer the conversation. “Spent some time there, got my certification. In and out, you understand.”

Tetia raised an eyebrow. “But didn’t you say you’d never been-”

“In any case,” Maji replied, “enough about my valid education. We’ve got our hands full with the Ancient of the Claw, right? We probably won’t have time to stop by the School of Seeing.”

“We’re going to the School of Seeing,” Holt announced, bursting in with a mug of coffee clutched in one hand. “We’ll need the Grand Monk’s help if we want to track where the Claw’s gone.”

He pointed at Babbock. “I’m requesting that you arrange transport to the School’s dwelling. I’ve received a special permit to grant access.”

Babbock nodded and stood up. “Right away.”

Tetia hobbled to her feet. “Good plan, mate. What’s with the mug, though?”

Holt stopped and looked at the mug as though he’d just realized he was holding it. “Belcanter made me coffee. I finished it on the way down here. He said I could leave the mug anywhere.”

“Oh, I can get that,” Babbock said. He grabbed Holt’s mug and dashed out of the room. As soon as he did, Holt’s expression grew darker.

“Now, some of you might have already guessed,” he said in a lower tone, “but there’s something off about all of this. There’s too many loose ends to be careless with our investigation. Trust each other first and foremost. Understood?”

Maji nodded in surprise. She’d barely considered the possibility that the Claw wasn’t just popping up at random. Berkel and Tetia seemed to accept the theory with varying degrees of certainty.

Babbock returned and saluted in the doorway. “I’ve readied the gondola. Is everyone ready?”

Holt spoke without turning around. “We’re ready when you are.”

----------------------------

As the gondola climbed higher along the tree trunk, Maji’s head began to spin. “Air feels funny here,” she murmured, careening towards the side. “Must be the lack of altitude at high pressures, haha.”

Tetia grabbed Maji’s shoulder before she could slump over the side. “You okay, love? Want us to slow down?” To Maji, Tetia’s horns were splitting into blurry dark clouds.

Maji shook her head blearily. “Just need to adjust. Changeling air compression, go!” She plugged her nose and mouth and blew out hard. Suddenly her head swelled with air, bobbing out like a balloon. Slowly, it deflated, until her head was normal and Holt had stopped having six legs. “There,” she said. “All better.”

“Shouldn’t be too far now,” said Babbock, who was peering up through the canopy. This close to the sky, they could see light blazing yellow between the leaves. There was a thin layer of dew along the branches, and as the light grew warmer, the dew lifted into mist, woven into the treetops. Maji quivered as they passed through the wave of heat -- then she gasped, looking up.

“Yep,” Babbock said, glancing to the sky. “This is a view to die for.”

Above the treetops, the world had dropped away. Maji looked out upon the sky -- so much sky -- the waves of color that stretched towards the horizon. It looked like watercolors, green and turquoise. A single yellow sun spread light like melted butter across the misty treetops. And, not far from them, swaying in the breeze, was a temple, its brown, willowy pillars rocking gently. Carved into the wood were ornate reliefs, figures that Maji could not see from far away. Up so high, the canopy mist seemed to have a tide all its own, and the temple rocked like a ship on that sea. There was a courtyard formed by an interwoven lattice of branches, upon which monks walked in light purple robes. They stopped and turned as the Order of the Claw approached. The gondola ground to a halt in front of the temple gates.

“This is it,” Babbock said. “It’s the School of Seeing.”

Maji just about melted into the floor.

990 words
Last edited by Chaser on Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:10 am
winterwolf0100 says...

Berkeley Thuso

Berkeley's jaw dropped and she had to remind herself to close her mouth as she stared, her eyes widening as the gondola finally cleared the trees, revealing the sight before them. It was...

"Beautiful..." she murmured, and didn't quite realize she said it aloud until she saw Maji give a faint nod in response, so excited her body seemed to be trembling, almost in a liquid state, looking more like putty than a physical form. It made Berkel wonder if Maji had to focus a part of her energy towards her figure all the time, or if this was just one of the ways she expressed excitement.

There, right in front of them, the School of Seeing stood, strong and powerful, rising over the tops of the trees and kissing the sun in the sky high above them. Tall towers, winding together and swaying gently in the soft breeze, peaked proudly. They were so tall, so mighty, but so rooted through the gigantic trees they were made of. Intimidation and loneliness crept into Berkel's thoughts at that. This campus, these buildings, were so old. They had found their place in the world and never felt the need to move. And Berkel couldn't tell if that made her sad because the trees would never get to explore the worlds, or because even the trees seemed to have the one thing she didn't: a strong connection to home.

It wasn't that Berkel hadn't tried to settle down or grow attached or plant her roots. She'd tried so many times in her younger years that it hurt to even think about. The first 30 years of her life had been wasted trying to connect and carve a place of her own in her home dimension of Orduna, and it simply hadn't worked. She'd never found that sense of community her heart longed for. She wanted friends and family and people she trusted who grew alongside her, who could adapt to her change as easily as these trees adapted to the wind. She wanted people who would sway with her, not try to tie her in one position. But it seemed no matter how flexible people were, they could never run fast enough to keep up with Berkel's sprinting, chaotic mind. They always ended up left behind, covered in the dust from the storm she had blown them over with. And when she finally went to the School of Changing at 30, she had found somewhere where change was not only encouraged, but necessary. She had discovered her passion in the energies of the worlds and the lightning of the skies. And she had decided that if lightning left a path of destruction in its wake, then she would just have to keep up with it to avoid being scorched.

Berkel shook her head, attempting to pull herself out of her thoughts. That was the problem though. They were always so quick and random, it seemed as if she'd never be able to slow them down. They were as elusive as lightning, and the only way to keep up with them was to chase after them, not try to stop them. She tried to ground herself with thoughts of the gondola they were in, swinging gently with the breeze. It felt as if they were in a ship, sailing over the waves of trees below them. It felt freeing. She found that thought amusing, because not only were they trapped in this until they landed, but she was attempting to ground herself while she was gliding through the air.

Berkel drew her attention back to the school in front of her, the huge, crowded courtyard, the buildings swaying. It seemed to embody the very core of the School of Seeing: to not only rely on nature, but to work in harmony with it. The campus reminded Berkel a bit of the School of Changing, not because they looked similar, but the purposes. Though the School of Changing certainly did not have a campus rising from a forested environment, the core, the heart of an area where students can not only receive knowledge but achieve greatness, was certainly something the two schools seemed to share.

Berkel couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness for her school, the place she called home for twelve years. It had captured her attention for much longer than most places, but like everything else, it soon became too stifling, too solid, too familiar for Berkel to bear, and she had moved on once again. But now that she thought of it, of the constantly changing landscape from the collisions, of the halls that seemed to change on a weekly basis, leaving you constantly having to find a new way to class, a new path, a new angle of viewing things, she realized she did actually miss it. She felt the strong impulse to go back and visit sometime, and gave a small, sad smile to herself because she knew in her heart, she meant it. She really would like to go and visit again. Just like she had meant in her heart for years-- decades, even-- to visit old friends from growing up, old colleagues from past studies... old family, from what felt like past lifetimes. But she had never gotten around to it. And she likely wouldn't get around to visiting her old school either.

Berkel glanced at Maji and tried to shake the emotions away. She needed to distract herself, so she smiled slightly and said quietly, "Are you happy to be... back?" Berkel was a bit confused on whether Maji had been lying about coming here, or if she had been lying about not coming, so she decided to play it safe with her question.

Maji looked startled, still taking in the sight before them with rapt and unwavering attention, before her spheres swung in Berkel's direction. "Uh, yeah!" She said cheerfully, even though her voice was small and distant.

"This is it," Babbock said, drawing Berkel's eyes to them as the gondola stopped in front of the temple gates. The door slid open slowly, and Berkel took a hesitant step out, her legs feeling a little wobbly after being in the air for so long.

Holt looked sick, grimacing a little as he let go of the pole in the center of the gondola. Berkel raised her eyebrows as he clenched his jaw and muttered something under his breath. Maji and Tetia were quick to climb out, and Babbock followed last.

Berkel looked up at the gates, the awe and excitement at being in a new place finally fully slamming into her. Wait. She frowned, trying to place what was off. She glanced around them a little hesitantly, not knowing what was making her feel odd. Then, she-- no, he-- sighed as he finally realized what it was. Somewhere along the journey, his gender had shifted. He glanced down at his neck, the hollowed, light feeling of the empty, bare skin no longer quite right, and reached into one of his pants pockets, calmly lifting his necklace over his head and fastening it around his neck. There. That felt better.

"Oh!" Maji said, seeming to catch the movement. Her spheres swiveled towards Berkeley. "Are you a man now?"

Berkel nodded a little. "Yeah, he/him pronouns, if you don't mind."

Babbock turned, confusion clearly written on their face. "I don't mean to intrude, but..." They seemed to pause, as if trying to figure out how to word the question.

"I'm genderfluid," Berkel clarified. "My pronouns usually vary based on how I'm feeling."

Babbock paused, then said, "I see."

"When I have my necklace on, it generally shows that I'm feeling more male, and I'd prefer he/him pronouns. If there's no necklace, it's safe to say you can use she/her pronouns."

Babbock nodded. "That... that makes sense, yes. And if you don't mind my asking, why the necklace for male pronouns? Why not..."

Berkel smiled brightly. "I like to mess with the gender stereotypes. Gender expression is different from gender identity, and if my appearance can help some people recognize that, then at the end of the day, I'm a happy camper." He held up a finger, remembering something. "Oh! Since we're on the subject, what are your preferred pronouns, detective?"

Babbock raised their eyebrows, then cleared their throat. "I use he/him pronouns."

"Cool! I do too," Berkel said cheekily, and smiled. "I try not to judge people's pronouns by their appearance, so don't take that as a sign that you don't dress 'manly' enough or anything. I ask everyone for their pronouns."

Maji nodded, agreeing with Berkel. "He asked for mine first!" She said proudly. "We met on the train on the way to the Library."

Tetia raised her eyebrows. "Well if this is a competition I would like to point out that Berkel asked for mine before she-- apologies, he-- asked for our almighty leader's pronouns over here."

Holt frowned. "If memory serves me correctly, he actually asked me first, not you. Not," he added quickly, "to say this is a competition."

Tetia gave a smooth smile. "Love, I think your memory isn't working quite right."

Berkel blinked for a second. "You're-- you're fighting over who's pronouns I asked for first?" He asked, clearly confused.

"I'd call it a friendly debate," Tetia said, a smirk on her face.

Holt shook his head. "Not even that. Team, let's try to stay focused here." He turned to look at the gates in front of them, but Maji was clearly still focused on the previous discussion, because her orbs began to spin rapidly.

"I think he asked Captain Holt first," she said.

Holt raised an eyebrow at her, attempting to hide a small smile. "Let's try to stay on task. We're here on a mission. Detective Babbock, if you don't mind?" He gestured to the gates in front of them. Berkel wasn't sure what Holt was asking of Babbock, but Babbock seemed to understand clearly, because he nodded.

"Of course." He stepped towards the gates, tree branches dipped in gold intertwined to make a beautiful but solid barrier. He pulled a piece of folded paper from his pocket and said loudly, "I am a Raza detective, here with several..." he paused, then said, "investigative individuals. We received a special permit a few hours ago in regards to our visit?"

A few of the figures in the crowded courtyard stopped and watched them, but none stepped forward. Most continued talking in groups or practicing whatever they were doing.

Babbock raised his voice slightly. "With your permission, could we gain access to--"

A loud, stern voice said, "Yes, yes, you may, detective! Pupils, out of the way, out of the way, I-- Theodore Hughes! Are you attempting to teleport yourself into a black hole in another dimension and die? Then I suggest you stop messing around with another student's rune when you are not trained in it! Move, move-- Lucilia, you had better not be doing what I think you're doing, because if I see you trying to glean your future spouse without a supervisor present again, I will not hesitate to send you to Orduna and leave you to find your way back. Seeing how confident you are in your dimensional abilities, it would not be a problem for you, now would it? Edgarda! When I say move, I do not mean stand directly in my path."

A figure slowly pushed their way through the crowd of jostling people and emerged, a strict-looking elf with a stern face and their hair pulled up in a high bun, the ends of it going gray. Berkel's eyes widened. How old must this elf be, that the ends of their hair was turning gray? They wore a long, flowing dress in a deep blue color, more along the lines of a robe than a gown. Berkel only thought of it as a dress because robes always seemed to be thick and way the wearer down, while this figure, with their entirely straight posture and glaring eyes, seemed to walk lightly as they approached the gate.

The elf raised an eyebrow at the group, and sighed. "Well I suppose because the Raza library officers are under the impression that they hold any authority in regards to this campus, I must allow you to begin your 'investigation'." Their clipped tone made it clear they weren't happy about the arrangement.

"But if I hear any tellings of our secrets and ideals being spread throughout the known world, any negative comments in regards to what we do here, I will not hesitate to transport any one of you to a volcano on Eridus and watch it erupt. Our ways are our own, and you have no business in judging any of them" They cocked an eyebrow, as if daring any of the group to challenge them.

Berkel, along with the others he was sure, was too stunned to respond, and the elf took this as a sign of agreement. They gave a stiff nod, and said tightly, "Alright then." They then pulled a small, worn stone from their pocket and thrust their hand forward. The branches of the trees detangled slowly, pulling away from each other and back until there was a clear path with two golden trees on the sides of it instead of a gate.

Berkel stood still, just staring at the figure. The elf’s eyes narrowed, and finally they snapped, "Well I don't have all day. Running a School of Seeing takes quite a bit of energy and focus, and I don't have the time to frolic around with a group of school children as they follow a trail of rumors, especially not when I have an advanced interdimensional horology class to teach in an hour, so let's make this quick, shall we?"

They gestured vehemently at the courtyard, and Holt seemed to finally snap out of the daze they were all currently in, stepping forward and through the gate into the courtyard. Hesitantly, Berkel and the rest of the group followed behind him, the golden branches twisting shut behind them as they entered the courtyard and were officially cut off from the world.

2385 words
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

Reviews: 2
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:56 pm
View Likes
kairamorgan says...

Tetia Lisrath Vernathil III

Inside the School of Seeing was somehow even more enchanting than outside of it. The oak walls seemed to dance inside, shifting slightly with each movement of the breeze, but that was, from Tetia’s experience of Raza so far, fairly normal, even if the lack of static walls wasn’t. However, the beautiful decorations, the giant wall hangings made of some kind of chiffon layered with silks and perhaps a light cotton or two were the most notable pieces. There were each in a different colour and embroidered with different but similar celestial symbols. The first was a baby pink, almost the same colour as Maji’s flesh, with a half-moon in a golden thread that stayed consistent in each decoration. The next was a purple, deep and rich like the ones worn by the monks outside, with a similar half moon symbol but where there was naught but empty space in the crescent of the pink symbol, there was a four pointed star. Beside it had a similar symbol, having two stars in the crescent laid upon the luscious green fabric that continued to sway. Over from that was fabric matching the woman before them in a rich blue, a third star in the centre of the crescent though, Tetia noted, there was the slightest crack in the moon. A crack that in the next symbol laid upon pure white fabric, had broken the moon into smaller shards as two more stars encircled the symbol of what had transformed from a four pointed star into a eight pointed sun-esque symbol.

Glancing around what was evidently a classroom, all of the students were wearing pink robes, which in turn seemed to match the first draping. What was odd was that from the way that elven woman was talking, Tetia believed the students were children. And yes, some were, but they were all of varying ages, some teenagers, some around her own age and others still were elderly, middle aged. It’s never too late to learn, she supposed.

“Are you going to stand their all day gawking?” snaps the elven woman, bringing Tetia back into reality, and evidently the others, “Come! You presumably have a reason for disturbing my class? And it had better be a damned good one!”

“May we speak somewhere private?” Holt requests, his heir of authority had finally managed to return, “It is a matter of great delicacy and it had best be said away from prying ears.”

After listening, the greying woman folds her arms over her chest, “No, we may not. Anything that is given in the School of Seeing should be there for all to see.”

“With all due respect, ma’am, it is urgent,” he says, leaning forward slightly.

“Then you had best swallow your pride and talk quickly,” she shoots back calmly, her posture and expression unchanged, “and for pity’s sake, my name is not ma’am, it is Famys Wynlee, or High Monk Wynlee if you happen to be feeling more formal than the majority of my students.” A glare shoots out to a couple of the pink-robed figures who seem to cower before the High Monk’s piercing golden eyes land back on the group.

Holt turned back to the rest of them, a look of concern on his face. “Its meant to be confidential.” Tetia rolled her eyes, looking past Holt to Famys.

“This stays in the School of Seeing,” states Tetia, “we’re going after the Ancient of the Claw, it was here in Raza but when we went to the site it’s disappeared, Holt said Belcanter said we needed to see the Grand Monk to figure out where it’s gone. Or whoever can point us in the right direction, I’m sure a Grand Monk would be busy being wise or something.” Though there was a glare before, Holt’s glare intensifies at the last part.

Famys’ expression doesn’t change much, eyes widening just the tiniest amount but nonetheless nods as a murmur spread through the room. “The Grand Monk it is, then,” she says, turning on her heel, “now come, they are indeed a busy person and you’ll likely have to wait whilst they bestow their wisdom upon others.” She strides towards an archway, which the group follows her through as they go through some more swaying corridors. Tetia could see Maji’s form swaying slightly with the walls, mouth slightly ajar as the orbs followed more light fabric traces. The tiefling places a hand on her shoulder, smiling a bit, fangs showing a tad.

“You doing good, there, love?” says Tetia quietly, observing the changeling carefully, “Must be weird being back here.”

Maji’s attention snapped back, body abruptly solidifying before nodding with the tiniest smile. “Yeah, it’s been a while,” she says shortly, before going back to examining the walls. Huh, Tetia could tell there was something up with her, but she still can’t put her finger on it. Maybe it’s not all that good a place to learn. Tetia herself remembers learning in Tabula in the School of Making after her time in the academy. It was… interesting, to say the least. She’d like to go back there sometime, she’d certainly make a better teacher than a Librarian. And she’s one hell of a good Librarian. The School of Making were a lot more varied, allowed for freedom, creativity, individual interpretation, which is more than can be said for the Library. But, Tetia was there for a reason, so she’d stick with them. No matter how much everyone she knows back on Eridus antagonises her for it.

The corridor opens up into a large circular room, one filled with colour, the pink, green, blue and purple all being draped over most of the desaturated brown oak, the floor consisting yes of grass, but also flowers in every colour imaginable. There were seats laid out, stools of birch and ash which had pillows in the same five colours laid atop them. There was a path weaving and winding through those stools, leading up to some stairs, at the peak of which was yet more hanging fabric, all translucent but there were so many layers you couldn’t see what lay within. Either side stood two more individuals in the blue robe-dresses, one centaur and one human.

Famys turns once more, her voice far quieter, “They will call you through when they are ready, until then sit down and keep your voices quiet. Do not speak out of turn, they will not enforce it themselves but they are the Grand Monk, you will treat them with respect, do you understand?” Her eyes scan over each of them as they nod, including Tetia. “Oh, and they are nonbinary using they and them pronouns. Whilst they most certainly won’t mind you misgendering them, it will make them uncomfortable, and anyone who does that to them will suffer my wrath.” With a final point of the finger, she strode back off down the hallway, the archway slowly growing over with branches. Great, they’re stuck in somewhere even quieter than the Library. Tetia sighs, taking a seat on one of the pink stools, with Babbock sitting on one side, Berkel beside him then Maji on the other side of her. Holt, however, moved to Tetia.

“That was entirely unnecessary, Vernathil,” he says with a stern tone she had become all too familiar with, “we are meant to do things as a team. You know this.”

“And that’s the conclusion we all would’ve come to anyway,” Tetia whispers back with a nonchalant shrug, “we came to the School of Seeing to see the Grand Monk, we’re now seeing the Grand Monk.”

“But you went about it incorrectly,” he continues, “you need to stop going rogue, we have spoke about it more times than I have the patience to count.”

“Yeah, and you know how it goes every time,” the tiefling folds her arms, “you know there’s a point you need to stop trying, right mate?”

The tension finally reaches Holts shoulders as his fists clench. “For the last time, I am your Captain, not your ‘mate’, nor will I ever be.” With that, he takes his seat by Maji, a pang of pain hitting Tetia’s chest. It’s fine. She wouldn’t want him as a mate anyway. Definitely not.

Though for a few moments longer, the tension could be cut by a knife, Babbock eventually pipes up. “I’ve never been in here before. The School of Seeing, that is. It’s beautiful.” Tetia smiles and nods a little.

“The blend of fabrics on the drapings is beautiful,” she whispers, hearing in her peripheral that Maji had began talking to the physical embodiment of grumpiness, “I’ve not seen anything quite like it. I’ll have to tell Dad about it when I talk to him next.”

Berkel’s head pops out from behind Babbock. “Your Dad?” he asks, expression of mild curiosity.

“Yeah,” Tetia grins, “my Dad runs a boutique in Eridus, does some really cool stuff. I did some of the designs before training to become a Librarian. Still do, sometimes when I get the chance.”

“Do they have boutiques on Eridus?” questions Babbock, a look of interest now matching Berkel’s.

“Kinda, yeah,” smiles Tetia, the nostalgia bubble filling her chest, “it’s not anywhere near as fancy as anything you’d find in Tabula or Orduna or here, but it’s just as good if not better, in my humble opinion.” Not that there was anything humble about Tetia’s opinion.

The chime of a small bell drew everyone’s attention to the shroud of fabric as a figure stepped outside, an older woman carrying some pink robes but nonetheless draped in purple. The human robed in blue looks to the five, saying, “The Grand Monk will see you now.”

Looking between the others, Tetia stands alongside her teammates and begins to walk towards the stairs. Babbock quickly ducks out, just saying in a hushed tone, “I’ve got to take this call, see you all on the other side. Good luck!”

As they walk up the stairs, the fabrics almost seem to dissipate, revealing a large garden, a garden far larger than the space the fabric had occupied, filled with cherry blossom trees and a stone path leading up towards a lake. Sat on a small rock was a person draped in white, the robe covering from their shoulders down, hair flowing long down past their body, floating in the water a tad. Despite the white-grey locks, the elf sat before them hadn’t a wrinkle on their blue grey face, eyes a piercing violet as they look to the Order of the Claw.

“Good greetings, Alimer, Tetia, Berkeley and Maji. My name is Coruvir. How might I help you?”

1780 words

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:25 pm
winterwolf0100 says...

Berkeley Thuso

Berkeley paused in his tracks temporarily at the sight of the elf. The garden was beautiful of course, slightly jarring with how pristine and controlled it was after the elegant but wild halls of the school, but what stopped Berkel as he took in the scene was the figure in the middle of it all.

"Do I--" Berkeley paused, uncertain, before he continued, "do I know you?"

The elf glanced at him, violet eyes traveling smoothly down his figure before returning to his face. "You know of many people, Berkeley, though who you truly know remains to be seen."

Berkel felt his face go hot as he stammered, "I, uh, I don't--" Thankfully, Holt spared him from the awkward moment by cutting in. He wasn't sure why it was embarrassing, but the fact that someone he'd never met knew such an intimate detail about him, something he was self-conscious about, felt weird.

"Grand Monk," Holt said, bowing his head slightly in respect, "we have come seeking your help."

The elf gave an amused smile and stood slowly, and Berkel saw for the first time how truly long their hair was. It grazed the surface of the water behind them as they rose to their full height. They towered over Berkeley, but that wasn't much seeing as he was only 4'9"-- quite a respectable height for a dwarf he might add, but short compared to others nonetheless.

"I know why you have come. I have seen it," the Grand Monk said. "And it is Coruvir, not the Grand Monk. Famys may push for formality all she likes, but a person can only be truly powerful if they have earned others' respect, not forced it." They gave a small smile. "Now to why you came. You seek the new location of the Ancient of the Claw, do you not?"

Tetia blinked. "How do you know that?" Holt subtly elbowed her in the ribs, and she said, "What? I'm asking what everyone's thinking!"

"If you wish to see an object, you must first reveal its reflection," Coruvir said. "It is the first lesson taught at the School of Seeing." Their eyes trailed to Maji, who seemed to shrink slightly under the gaze. "Surely Maji has told you, seeing as she graduated from here." It sounded like a jab, but the amusement in their voice was so subtle and calm that Berkel didn't feel like it fully was one.

"Its reflection?" Berkel asked, hoping to steer the conversation towards whatever Coruvir had to say and away from Maji, whose body was rippling slightly with anxiety. Coruvir turned to look at Berkel.

"Yes. When searching for a storm, you first look for the signs, do you not? In order to locate something, you cannot search for the thing itself, but the nature it has impacted around it."

"Like the grove," Tetia put in. "There was a lot of damage there from the Ancient of the Claw surfacing the first time. So wherever it pops up again, it'll likely leave more damage, right?"

Coruvir nodded. "Perhaps you search for the damage-- but the first thing we teach our students is not to look for just the damage: it is to follow the water." With a rather amused expression, their eyes flitted to Berkel. "One of your companions seems rather skilled in that. It is easier to find the reflection of the object than to find the object itself. And while an object is reflected by all of its environment, by everything it touches, it is easiest to start with the literal reflection first. If your object is anywhere near a surface of water, it will be reflected, and water is much easier to look through than the worlds at large. You must follow the water."

"The water..." Berkel repeated unsurely as the rest of the group watched him. Great. Now all the pressure was going to be on him to 'follow the water'... whatever that meant.

"I have seen the reflections of your past through the water," Coruvir said softly. "And through it, a glimpse of what could be the future. Every living thing within this universe leaves a ripple in the lake of our existence. What you must do is find the thing creating a splash."

Berkel frowned slightly. Something about their words was tugging at his mind... Coruvir wasn't using some big metaphor about time and space. They were talking about literal water. But why would they lean so heavily on the water metaphor?

"The lake," Maji said suddenly, and Berkel glanced over at her. Clearly she was thinking as well, because her three orbs were whizzing through the air. "You said everything makes a ripple."

Holt frowned. "What are you getting at, Nobuna?"

Maji pointed at the lake behind Coruvir. "Look at it."

Berkeley looked past Coruvir's figure and froze. What had looked like still water was actually a surface that was rippling so much that all of the movement was balancing everything else out. His jaw fell open slightly. From the corner of his eye, he could see Tetia step towards the water, her mouth hanging open. Even Holt looked frazzled, at a slight loss for words. How had none of them noticed it?

Coruvir gave a small smile. "I see you have finally noticed what is in front of your eyes-- you have begun to see." They paused, then stepped backwards onto the water, and somehow, the ripples held them as they walked farther onto the lake. "The Mirror of the Worlds. There is a reason the School of Seeing focuses its early lessons so heavily upon water and the usage of its reflection. It is where we originated-- the beginning of our history. Of course, this is not the original place-- but much of its power has been transferred here as our community and school has grown. As our rune-users become stronger, so does the rune become more connected to this place. It is our sacred ground, a looking glass through which viewing anything is possible if only you know where to look."

Maji watched the water eagerly, a hungry expression on her face that Berkeley hadn't seen before. She took a step towards the water, but faltered, as if seeming to catch herself. Coruvir shook their head.

"Only the most trained in the Sight may view the Mirror as it truly is. All may see ripples, but few can locate the skipping stones that created them. Nor," they continued, as if sensing what everyone was going to say, "may I reveal its secrets or paths."

"Great Monk," Holt said, urgency creeping into his voice, "the Ancient of the Claw quickly gathers followers. We must know--"

Coruvir cut him off. "I see everything, Alimer," they said coolly. "You think I watch the waves and ignore the tsunamis?"

"With all due respect, love," Tetia cut in, shooting her eyes towards Holt, "I think what we're attempting to say is that we need to know where it has moved. If we do not, the School of Reaping will continue to grow, and if you have already seen them, then you will know that is not something anyone can afford."

"I have told you all you need to know to succeed," Coruvir reassured her. "You must follow the water. Berkeley knows of what I speak."

Berkeley most certainly did not know of what they spoke. In fact, he was more confused than ever. He'd been finding it difficult to pay attention to the conversation while Coruvir was not only walking on water, but while their hair was being gently carried on the surface behind them.

"I can tell you no more. A Seer's secrets are their own, and too much sunlight will blind you from your mission. Now you must go-- your comrade inside has news for you." With that, Coruvir walked further out onto the lake, then calmly sat in a meditative pose with their back turned to them, the shadows of the cherry blossoms shading them from the rays of the sun.

"Come on," Tetia muttered. "They were no help." Maji agreed under her breath and both began walking towards the exit. Holt began to follow, then stopped and turned to Berkeley.

"Come on, Thuso. We'll figure it out I'm sure." Though it was meant to be encouraging likely, Holt sounded exhausted and slightly annoyed. Berkel shook his head, glancing back at Coruvir on the lake.

"You go ahead. I just need to... I need to ask something." Holt looked hesitant, then seemed to come to a decision. He gave a short nod and turned, walking briskly to the exit and leaving Berkeley alone with Coruvir.

After a few moments of silence, Coruvir called out, "Come. Join me, Berkeley."

Berkel watched their figure, feeling slightly puzzled, before he took a step onto the water-- and felt his boot sink in, soaking his shoe and sock. He groaned quietly. For the first time, Coruvir laughed.

"How am I supposed to join you then?" Berkel asked, attempting to keep the exasperation out of his voice and failing for the most part.

Coruvir turned and gave a wide smile. "Berkeley, you are no seer. You may follow the water but you certainly cannot walk it."

"Clearly," he said dryly.

Coruvir shook their head, a small smile still on their lips, before they said, "Walk now. The rune's power may be foreign to you, but it is intimate with me. It will allow you to walk if I ask."

Berkeley watched them for a second, before he tried again. This time, his foot rested on top of the water like it was a slightly rocky and shaky surface. It took a few seconds to balance, but once he was able to, he found himself walking across the water gracefully until he reached where Coruvir sat, legs crossed. Berkeley sat next to them. It was very peaceful on the lake, the shade from the trees overhead, a slight breeze blowing.

"You know, Berkeley, that there will be tough choices ahead of you," Coruvir said casually, without looking towards him. "You have never been one for old ties, and yet you will need to rely on one soon if you hope to discover the exact location of the rune."

"Is that what it is for certain? A rune?" Berkel asked softly, pulling his legs up to his chest slightly and leaning back against one arm.

"It is what it is made to be," Coruvir said quietly. "You believe it to be a rune, and therefore, it is one."

Berkel glanced at them. "Is that what you think of the universe? Existence is only valid if proven by another?"

"Of course not," Coruvir said. "You and I, we walk the paths seldom walked in life, my friend. And though you may look younger than I and very well are, we both know your age has come with experiences many others have not gone through. Neither of our existences must be proven by another in order to be valid, Berkeley, but it is still nice to be validated all the same. This power--" Coruvir faltered and tilted their head, as if trying to choose their words carefully. "It needs not be proven as neither a threat nor a positivity to be powerful," they said slowly. "It was powerful for eons before it was discovered, and it will be powerful when eons pass and it is forgotten once again as all things will be. It cannot be given a label of threat or benefit because it is neither-- it is only what we make it. It is a threat if another has it, and a benefit if held by you. And therefore, would you not say the School for Reaping sees you as the threat?"

Berkel paused. He wasn't sure what Coruvir was trying to get at. "Of course they do," he said finally. "Everyone who is against each other sees the other side as a threat."

"Yes," Coruvir agreed. "If power is gained through blood, then only by blood may it be taken. Violence is rarely the answer, but it is the most often the conclusion, Berkeley." They paused again, before they said simply, "I cannot reveal what I have seen. Your path will disappear in the fog if you pause to look at a map. But you must remember what threatens those in power most, and that is the fear of it being taken from them. You have heard the saying to keep your friends close, your enemies closer, yes?"

Berkel nodded. It was a common enough saying. "You must remember," Coruvir said carefully, "that it is a path traveled in both directions. You not only keep your enemies close. They will do the same for you and for your group."

Berkel felt his throat dry up. "And I guess you can't tell me more than that? You cannot tell me who is keeping us close?"

Coruvir shook their head. "It would be... unwise to tempt fate in such a way."

"And you can't tell me where to look for the Ancient of the Claw? You've said to follow the water, to look for the wreckage, but you can't say more?"

Coruvir looked at him. "That is enough to lead you. Once you are where you are to go, you will need an old acquaintance to take you the rest of your journey. She will know the way."

Berkel sighed slightly. Coruvir looked at him with empathy. "This will be easy for none of you. The trials you'll face ahead will test all of your abilities-- but follow the right path, and I feel confident you can succeed."

"You feel confident in it? Can you not see it?"

Coruvir's eyes swept towards the far end of the lake, so far away that Berkel couldn't see the exact end. Their eyes looked distant. "The lake shows me all that has passed ad all that is present. The future is the only part of our story that is ever unwritten."

"Then how do you know so much about it?" Berkel asked.

Coruvir gave a wry smile. "I have studied the sight for centuries, Berkeley. I have become accustomed to taking guesses." They inhaled slowly, then said, "Your companions await your return. And the lake awaits mine."

Berkel swallowed and stood, wobbling on his feet slightly. "This will not be our last meeting, Berkeley Thuso. I will see you again, I'm sure."

"Another guess?" Berkel said with a weak smile.

"A prediction," Coruvir corrected. "Trouble seems to follow me, as it seems to follow you. When you need more help, I will be here." And with that, Coruvir turned away from Berkeley to face the far shore of the lake and closed their eyes, their hands returning to a folded position in their lap. The water seemed to begin to circle them slowly, and Berkel guessed they were reconnecting with the lake and disconnecting from the world, which meant it was his cue to leave.

He sighed and made his way back to the door and into the hall, where the others stood waiting for him, his left foot still soaked from the water he couldn't walk.

2542 words
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena