z

Young Writers Society

Runeseeker

Reviews: 2
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:41 pm
View Likes
kairamorgan says...

Tetia Lisrath Vernathil III

The bright light of the portal powering up snapped Tetia out of her slightly dazed state, with one of the human operators waving the group through. The limp was certainly better having gotten the cast off, but was certainly still present as the blinding light filled Tetia's senses, her eyes squeezing shut from the brightness, not that that lessened the blinding nature of it.

As it dimmed, the sounds of birds chattering, and the crisp crackling of... leaves? Tetia leans down and picks one up, examining it. Leaves actually come off trees? And so far from them too, the light wind that was currently whipping through everyone's hair (and Maji's horn) must have carried it from there.

A slight nudge to the arm pulls Tetia out of her own little world, with Maji smiling at her. "You not seen leaves before?" she asks jokingly.

Tetia could feel the hot flush hit her cheeks, not that the blush could be seen very well on red skin. "Y-yeah," she says with less certainty than she wanted to, "just not this kind." It had kind of gone an ochre-ish yellow, and last she'd checked, they're green.

"Well that's a oak leaf," explains Maji with her usual enthusiasm, bouncing slightly as they started to clear the portal area, eyes spinning once more, "they grow just about everywhere, but just about everything natural grows on Raza, so I suppose that's not massively descriptive."

Taking a moment to breathe in the fresh air, not ember-burnt, not artificial, but smelling of flowers and pollun, Tetia nods. Her eyes finally seemed to adjust, and the sea of green was odd to see, along with the dots of pink and yellow and white of the flora growing out of the grass. She thinks it's grass. Probably. "I've not seen this many plants before," she says quietly to herself, eyes reaching the sun and blue sky shining down on the hundreds of kinds of organisms, with elves, humans, centaurs going about their day as if there weren't deer and squirrels and pidgeons all roaming the same soil streets.

348 words

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:43 pm
View Likes
kairamorgan says...

"This is Raza," states Holt matter-of-factly as if it was his average Tuesday, "plants are everywhere." Maybe it was his average Tuesday. No, he lives in Orduna too, this couldn't be normal. If he was as happy to see a clear sky and sun and people, he wasn't showing it.

Actually, average Tuesday. What does Tetia do on her average Tuesday? Tapping the shoulder of the nearest Raza person, an elven woman in a dress that seemed to be made out of some kind of organic fabric. "Where's the nearest mall?" Tetia inquires incredibly quietly, keeping half an eye on Holt, who appears to be briefing the other two.

"Couple of blocks down," the elf says with a smile, "turn right over by Sycamore Lane and you'll see it." Tetia nods her thanks, hopping back to the team.

"...and when we reach the Claw it is paramount we act professionally," she hears Holt say, "we cannot afford-"

Tetia grabs Maji's hand, calling to the three, "Sorry to interrupt - wait, no I'm not - I've found something! Come on this way!" Taking off into a sprint, it takes Maji a few seconds to keep pace, horn bouncing, a look of concern carving into her face as her orb-eyes swirl to Tetia.

"What's happening?" she asks, the panic raising in her voice as Tetia pulls them into a hard right then halting. Tetia looks over at the massive building, mostly made of organic matter, carved and shaped by conjurers, she would imagine, panes of glass held in by vines and a gigantic dome roof shining above. Tetia points at it.

"We're going shopping," Tetia declares happily.

275 words

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:44 pm
View Likes
kairamorgan says...

Maji's eyes start whirring, "Yes!"

"No," Holt pants as he catches up, Berkeley still not in sight, "we cannot delay-"

"I can't believe I'm the one saying this," Tetia grumbles to herself before picking up the more energetic tone, "we have had quite enough action for one day. Don't you think, sir?" She looks quickly at Maji, then back to Holt. For just a moment, Holt's expression softens as his gaze lands on the hope and happiness faltering slightly from the changeling.

"What's happening?" Berkeley asks as their small stature finally turns the corner, hands going on her hips as she brushes some hair from her face, along with some sweat. Tetia folds her arms, raising her eyebrows at Holt.

"You are going to the Mall," Holt declares, the tone halfway between reluctance and something else Tetia couldn't quite identify, something she hadn't heard in him, "after halting an attack of the School of Reaping, you each deserve a brief reprieve. I will-"

"-come with us and get a well-deserved break, yes," Tetia interrupts, seeing what he was trying to do.

"Can we go to the book store?" Maji asks before Holt could protest, "I've heard they have some amazing books on runes here in Raza!"

"We can go and look at some of the clothing they have here in Raza," Berkeley suggests, "I've been meaning to get some new things."

"And you need to relax, oh wonderfully terrifying Commander Holt, mate," Tetia says, pulling at his sleeve, his shoulders tense and legs unmoving, "you'll use all of your tense brooding energy up before we get to the Claw if you're not careful."

After a brief moment, Holt's feet begin to move. "Captain," he corrects, "Captain Holt. And I am not brooding."

292 words

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:24 am
View Likes
Europa says...

Alimer Holt

Raza’s shopping center was a sprawling structure that ascended up the trunk of a hollow tree. People of all sorts milled the glass balconies spiraling upwards, browsing the shops carved into the walls. Unlike the pale lanterns that lit Orduna, the sunlight that streamed in from the wide windows lit the halls with a warm, lively glow. When he’d first ventured to Raza in the field, he’d been awestruck with all the life around him. Even after all these years, the effect wasn’t lost on him, but inside the bustling shopping center was a much different feeling. He’d been used to the tight press of other bodies in the narrow streets of Orduna, but here it somehow felt alien.

“Hold on,” He caught Tetia as she made a dash toward a stationary store “We’ll travel in pairs.”

Tetia grabbed Maji’s arm and, clearly not in the mood to wait any longer, zipped toward the stationery store. Maji stayed in place, her arm stretching behind Tetia without her noticing.

“So I suppose we’ll all meet back here?” Maji says, her face twisting into a quizzical expression.

Alimer nodded. “Let Vernathil know to be back here in two hours.”

“Alright.” Maji shot away as her arm retracted, vanishing into the shop with Tetia.

Alimer glanced over at Berkeley. She was still taking in the mall, craning her neck back as she stared up the circular shaft. “I suppose that means we’re partners, Thuso.”
241 Words

45 Reviews

Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:26 am
View Likes
Europa says...

Alimer Holt

Berkeley started and looked over at him, unsure. “I’m sorry, I zoned out a little.”

Alimer recapped the events of the last minute patiently. Berkeley seemed to exist mainly in her own head. Nothing extremely wrong with that, but dangerous considering their situation. Still, she was at least able to stay in the moment when she needed.

Berkeley nodded along, then muttered “Two hours, got it.” To herself before returning her attention to Alimer. “So, where do you want to go?”

Alimer blinked, his mind drawing a blank trying to recall when he’d last gone to a mall without needing anything. “I don’t particularly mind.”

Berkeley faltered, no doubt wondering if she should press him to make a decision, then seemed to decide against it and went back to scanning the shops.

“What about there?” She said, pointing to a shop with glass-fronted doors. The display in the window sported a wide selection of novels, propped beneath small hanging models of ships and various sea creatures, and a simple carved wooden sign above the door that identified the shop as The Merry Owl Bookstore.

Alimer nodded. Here at least was a place he was familiar with. “Yes, that seems a good place to start.”
204 Words

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:39 pm
winterwolf0100 says...

Berkeley Thuso

Berkeley felt a bit odd walking around with Holt. He was a very serious person, and as a person who had a difficult time staying focused, the only way to engage her was through bold movements, flashes of personalities, changes in the voice: none of which Holt seemed to have.

She wandered into the bookstore, noticing Holt's almost relaxed posture-- well, as relaxed as a person with perfect posture could get, anyway. "Have you been here before?" She asked casually, her eyes scanning the signs before her eyes lit up. Bingo.

"I have, actually," Holt said quietly as he followed after her hurried approach to the section that had caught her eye. "You're into comics?" He asked, sounding surprised.

Berkel's eyes swept the shelves hastily, filled with a hunger he hadn't seen in her yet. "There's not much to do while you wait for a storm," Berkel said distractedly, grabbing one of the small step-stools lying in the aisle and climbing a few steps up it to look at some of the higher shelves. Her fingertips brushed over the spines at lightning speed, her eyes flitting around. "I like to keep busy, and comics are the only books I've found that seem to hold my attention. If I'm reading a book, it goes one of two ways. I put it down eventually, and I never pick it up again, or I speed through until it's done. Comics are the only books I've found that I'm interested enough in to speed through-- and they are also coincidentally one of the only types of books short enough for me to read in one sitting."

272 words
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

33 Reviews

Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:41 pm
winterwolf0100 says...

Berkeley Thuso

Holt seemed to consider that for a minute. "What types of comics are you interested in?"

Berkel glanced over at him, momentarily caught off guard that he would actually care. "Umm..." She turned her eyes back to the shelves. "The ones with good art. If the art isn't good, it doesn't matter how good the story is-- I have a hard time getting through it. Because I signed up for a comic book, and if the comics aren't good, then I'm not getting what I bargained for."

Holt tilted his head. "So you don't have a preference in genre?"

"Nope!" Berkel popped the 'p' sound. She turned to look at him. "So what do you like to read?"

"Literature that makes me think," Holt said. "Realistic fiction is usually the genre that type of book can be found, but occasionally I'll find a book that happens to be science fiction or fantasy that makes the reader think. If a newer book makes me think I enjoy it, but most modern literature isn't written that way, which is why it's generally safer to go with a classic."

"Huh. I would've pegged you for a military history kind of guy," Berkel said, a little amused.

"What would make you say that?"

Berkel glanced back at him, unintentionally moving her eyes down his figure then back to his face before turning to the shelf in front of her again. "You know what? I'm not sure."

She pulled out a comic with an interesting title, flipping through a few of the pages before quickly placing it back on the shelf, not bothering to read the blurb on the back.

"What was wrong with that one?" Holt took it back off the shelf, looking through a few of the pages before looking back at her.

"The artist didn't like what they were doing. There was no soul in the drawings." Berkel took two steps down the step stool onto the ground, scooting it down the aisle into a section titled "Action/Adventure" before climbing back up again and continuing to browse.

346 words
he/she/they

33 Reviews

Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:43 pm
winterwolf0100 says...

Berkeley Thuso

Holt frowned, then looked back at the comic, flipping through it again. "How do you tell when the artist--"

"You see how perfectly the characters match each other on each page?" Berkel asked. "I'd bet money that's an outline that was previously sketched and used in all the issues of that series. They've probably got 15 or so positions, enough to make it look like the artist is drawing everything over and over again, when in actuality, they're just outlining the character and changing the clothes they're in. Characters are supposed to have feelings, emotions. Even the slightest tilt of the head can convey something entirely different in a comic book. If the artist isn't interested enough in the story to change their character designs to match the words, then their soul isn't into it. And if the story is so boring that even the artist isn't obsessed with it, then how can they expect the common reader to buy into the plot?"

Holt frowned, seeming at a loss for words. "I never thought of it like that before," he admitted. "Have you ever--" he paused, seeming to consider his words. "Have you ever considered graphic novels? Quite a bit longer than comics, albeit, but it could give you an entry point into some of the greater works of literature, ones that make you think, while still letting you access the story primarily through the pictures."

Berkel paused her browsing, turning to look at him thoughtfully. "I've considered it, but graphic novels are an entirely new experience to me. I wasn't sure where to even start looking for one I would like," she said. "And generally when I settle down to wait for a storm, it only takes a few hours at most. The occasional storm will take a day or so to reach location, if I arrive really early. That's not a lot of time to read an entire novel."

"Graphic novel," Holt corrected. "And since you have a tough time picking back up a book you aren't interested and drawn into, you just need to find one you do like. You said the pictures in the comics are what draw you in. If you found one with a good artist, one who's..." Holt seemed a little uncomfortable but continued, "who's soul, as you put it, was in it, then maybe you'd have reason to pick it back up again."

403 words
he/she/they

33 Reviews

Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:45 pm
winterwolf0100 says...

Berkeley Thuso

Berkel was surprised and a bit touched. Most people told her it was her fault she got distracted so easily, but here he was, trying to think of a solution to help with that. Others tried to change her so she fit more with the world, but he was trying to change the world a little so it fit her. It made her feel strangely sad and emotional. She had barely known him but he was being nice to her anyway, despite her identity.

"That... that sounds great," she said softly, stepping down from the stool slowly. "I think I might give that a try. Did you... I'm not sure if you even read graphic novels, but do you have any recommendations?"

Holt gave a small smile. "I haven't read them in a long time, but when I was young, I enjoyed reading a classic novel and then getting a copy of the graphic novel so I could see how the artist interpreted things differently than I did. They're in some box in my attic somewhere, I'm sure. If we were going back near my house for a while I'd suggest simply loaning one to you, but it's not looking like we'll be back there for a time. Your best shot may be to look through some of their selection here and get one for the road."

Berkel nodded, watching Holt with a newfound interest. It seemed he was more than she originally took him for. "Alright, Mr. Holt," she declared, "I believe we have some browsing to do then." She grinned broadly.

"It's Captain Holt," he said quietly, a smile tugging at the edge of his lips.

Berkel's eyes twinkled with a foreign glow, like lightning dancing behind them as she beamed. "Well then, 'Captain Holt', let's go find a graphic novel."

303 words
he/she/they

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:14 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Maji Nobuna

Maji flew through the store at a blistering pace, blurring through the colors with a grin on her face. She only came to a stop once she caught up with Tetia, who was still holding her wrist while examining the displays of stationary.

"Isn't this incredible, love?" Tetia said, her eyes asparkle. "All the expression you could dream of, right on these neat little pages." She spread her arms to the massive display of stationary cards, which stood up proudly on a circular rotunda like a huge wedding cake. Different colors of paper wrapped around the cylindrical display, which ruffled slightly in the breeze. It was a small shop; aside from the display pillars, they were its only occupants. Now that Maji noticed, the windows were wide open.

Maji adjusted one of her eyes like a lens and looked closer. Each page was closely inlaid with crystalline details, as if the paper itself were an ornate piece of glass. In this one, she saw a fiery amber interwoven with the cream color. Maji's eyes spun for a second before she grabbed the paper, wanting a closer look. To her surprise, it wouldn't move.

"Hm?" Tetia said, pulling on another display paper. "They won't budge."

Outside, a strong breeze blew through the street. Maji glanced out the window as large tarps unfurled from the rooftops, flapping strongly in the wind. They flashed pink and yellow in the air, and in the street, the residents of the shopping district stood and took the wind head-on. The wind blustered through the open window of the stationary store, rustling the paper strongly. As it did, the stationary cards bulged like sails, spinning the pillars in a dazzling dance. Maji saw the designs each of the cards begin to blur together, forming a kaleidoscope in motion. Tetia's jaw hung open as the tessellations of the stationary glimmered like the stars of Limnus.

"Fascinating," Maji said breathlessly, her pasted smile shrinking to something a bit more natural.

"Yep, that's one word for it," Tetia replied.

339 words
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:16 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Maji Nobuna

"Didn't see you come in," said a gruff voice. Maji and Tetia turned to see a short old dwarf hobble out of a door at the back of the shop. He waved his cane in greeting and walked to the counter. "Pick out a color you like and I'll grab it from the back."

"Thank you!" Maji replied, and turned to Tetia. "Now, what exactly do we like?"

"Depends on the occasion," Tetia mused. "Stationary can be a birthday card, a business letter, and a flyer for a lost dog, all depends on how you make it."

"For sure, for sure!" Maji exclaimed, noting in her head the different possibilities.

"I think it'd be fun if we had our own custom stationary." Tetia browsed the pillars with her finger. "Something professional-looking to stick in that commander's face, you know?"

Maji formed a long chin and scratched it. "On one hand, Captain Holt wants to look professional all the time. On the other hand, Captain Holt doesn't like to look excessive or pompous. Oh, on one more hand--" Maji made her chin into a hand and pointed it at a turquoise-green paper just above eye level. "--that one's really beautiful!"

"That's all you needed to say," Tetia replied. "That can be our official stationary. Task one, righteously completed."

"You're implying more tasks," Maji observed excitedly. "What else?"

"I was thinking I'd also make a thank-you card for the Captain," Tetia explained, perusing some gaudily-colored papers. "Considering his hard work on all our behalfs."

"Again, I can't tell if he'll love it or hate it," Maji said, laughing. Though judging from the blaring yellow ensemble that Tetia eventually selected, it was likely the latter.

282 words
Last edited by Chaser on Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

33 Reviews

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:15 pm
winterwolf0100 says...

Berkeley Thuso

Written with @Europa

Berkeley took the graphic novel in her hand up to the counter and placed it down. It had definitely taken some deliberation, but she was excited with her choice. The person behind the counter looked up, grumbled something under their breath, and snatched the book, scanning it and putting it back on the counter.

“Card,” they said, holding a hand out. Berkel searched her pockets. She always misplaced the thing… on more than one occasion, she had left a store and had to go back in because she left without her card. There. Her hand touched the rectangular, thin surface and she pulled it out. She handed it to the person behind the counter and smiled.

“I like your nails!” Berkel said, hating the silence that filled as the person completed the process on their device. They glanced up at them, then down at their glossy nails and shrugged.

“Thanks. They’re a few days old. I need to redo them. The lady at the shop a few floors down though, you ask for Martisha, she’ll give the best treatment you’ve ever seen in your life. And for crazy cheap, too.” The person popped a bubble in their gum. Berke hadn’t even realized they were chewing gum. “I go there on my lunch breaks every once in a while, or right when I get off my shift.” They finished scanning the card and gave it back.

“Your total is 10 units,” they said. “Would you like a receipt?”

“No thanks!” Berkel said cheerfully, taking the card and novel off the counter. Holt stepped up to purchase the book he had picked, and Berkel looked out the front windows at the mall with excitement.

When Holt finished checking out, the person behind the counter sighed, “Have a nice day. Thank you for shopping with us.” They looked out the window, as if they felt trapped in the tiny bookstore.

“You’re welcome! Nice to meet you!” Berkel smiled. “And I’ll definitely look for your recommendation. Martisha, few floors down, right?”

The person nodded. “Yep, that’s her.”

“Cool. Have a good day!” Berkel and Holt walked out of the store.

356 words
he/she/they

33 Reviews

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:16 pm
winterwolf0100 says...

Berkeley Thuso

Written with @Europa

They returned to the mall’s main plaza to find no sign of Tetia or Maji. Berkeley heard Holt give a tiny sigh. “I suppose we’ll wait for them here, then.”

Berkel sighed. She hated waiting. She glanced around the mall, looking at all the different signs for stores. She glanced back at Holt, then down at the book he was holding. “So what book did you get?” She had been distracted picking out her own, and hadn’t really focused on what he got.

“Cause of the Land,” Holt said, glancing down at the book. “I’m thinking it’ll be interesting. It isn’t really in the usual genre I read, but I’m hoping it’s good.”

Berkel nodded thoughtfully. “I think I’ve heard that name before, but I’ve never read it. What’s it about?”

“It’s about a strange plague that leaves people without magic. It asks the question of how much of our lives are defined by our reliance on runes.”

“Huh,” Berkel said. “That’s interesting. I guess you don’t really question how much you rely on runes until you have to go without them. I hadn’t really thought of that before actually.”

Holt nodded. “It has good reviews, and it’s been on my list for a while, but I decided since we’ll be on the road so long anyway, I might as well pick it up now.”

“I don’t think I’d mind reading something like that either. If,” Berkel said, eyeing the book warily, “it wasn’t so big. How many pages is that? Four hundred? Five hundred?”

“Seven hundred,” Holt said absent-mindedly. “A thick book just means it has more knowledge to impart upon the reader. Unless the author isn’t good. In which case, it is a long book with no meaning behind it.”

293 words
he/she/they

33 Reviews

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:16 pm
winterwolf0100 says...

Berkeley Thuso

Written with @Europa

“Yeah. I guess that makes sense. But I don’t think I could focus on something for that long. My brain might explode.”

Holt gave a small, rare smile. Berkel glanced back around the mall again. “Do you want to walk around? We might even end up running into them.”

“Thuso, I’m not entirely sure that’s the best idea. Moving around could end up making it harder to find them, especially since we told them we would meet them here.”

“But,” Berkel interjected, hoping to persuade him to her side before he thought about it too long, “they’re the ones who are late. They can’t get angry at us for having to find us if they’re the ones who didn’t show up on time. Besides, I’m sure they’re doing fine, and they’re more than capable of finding us in a mall.”

Holt seemed to pause and consider it, before he sighed. “I think it would be best to stay where we agreed to meet.”

As if waiting for that cue, Maji and Tetia came barrelling from the stationary shop. “Sorry, terribly sorry.” Maji huffed, hands on her knees. “The time got away from us.”

“Well, it’s good you’re here now.” Holt said sternly. “Try to be more aware next time.”

Maji seemed to shy away a little. “Yeah. It was an accident,” she said quietly. “It won’t happen again.”

“Oh, no need to be so uptight, mate.” Tetia cut in. “We’re having a break, remember? And besides, we got you something.”

250 words
he/she/they

45 Reviews

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:18 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Alimer Holt

Written with @winterwolf0100

Alimer lifted an eyebrow. He’d gotten the odd coffee mug from officers who’d been after his favor, but Tetia didn’t strike him as the type. She reached inside the small bag she was carrying, and flourished a small rectangle of bright yellow paper.

“Ta-da!” She trumpeted, holding it out to him. Alimer took it from her and examined it. On the front was a hand-drawn picture of all of them, The message your leadership inspires us written in neat cursive across the top. “I drew the picture,” Tetia said proudly. “Maji handled the writing.”

Despite Changelings not normally changing color, Alimer could have sworn he saw Maji blush. “I thought you’d appreciate something a little more to the point.”

“I see.” Alimer looked back down at the card, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. That was something he liked about Tetia, for all her recklessness she did everything from the heart. He cleared his throat and tucked the card in his pocket. “I appreciate the gesture.”

Tetia rolls her eyes. “A simple ‘thank you’ would suffice.”

Just this once, he figured he could let the jibe slide. “Thank you.”

Berkel watched and smiled a little “That’s really cute,” she noted. “I like the color of the paper.”
Tetia beamed. “I thought it suited his sunny disposition.”

Berkel bit her lip to stop herself from laughing. “Yeah, it definitely matches his bright… personality.”

“It takes a rare type of person to be a happy police officer.” Alimer replied. “Now, we still need to report to Raza’s headquarters. We should leave now if we’re to arrive on time.”
271 words

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith