Young Writers Society

Marie Curie University of Science and Art

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:55 pm
View Likes
AlmondEyes says...

~Contessa Linea Savage~

The was waning in the sky, readying itself for it's own night of sleep. The air was cool and crisp, and there were people abound for the Harry Potter event. Then again, it's not like I should be surprised. HP fan getting a chance to cosplay and let their geek flag fly proud and free? Who wouldn't? I know I sure as hell would. Not that I was the biggest fan of the franchise. I watched the movies, but that's about the extent of my interest in the series. I was too lazy to read the books. The only book I'd ever read that had been adapted into movies had been the Twilight Series, but only after I'd found out they'd been book first. They weren't as bad as the Fifty Shades of Grey series.

I know. Not my proudest accomplishment.

I chuckled to myself at the thought as I waded my way through the throng of people decked out in HP Garb, several of which were arguing about how memorable a character Nymphadora Tonks was in the series. I'd finished my work for the day and hadn't wanted to stay inside. It felt like waste. As my mother had once said;

Idle hands were the devil's workshop.

But then again, she had once called me the devil incarnate. Not that it wasn't warranted. I had just blown up one of the base's transport vehicle with ordinance I'd stolen from a restricted area on base. Never mind it was New Year's, but what a memorable one it certainly was. The thought brought a proud smile to my face in recollection. The vibes of event seemed to lean more heavily toward an exuberance and excitement that was almost palpable as I took in everything and everyone around me. Everything seemed to be in full swing. It certainly something to behold.

I couldn't really remember what time it was supposed to start because I hadn't particularly cared, so I was just kind of meandering through. Whoever put this event together knew what they we doing. Everyone here seemed to be enjoying themselves. People were indulging in the treats being served at the stands while some were competing to see who could pronounce spells that would make Hermione proud, and others were taking pictures to commemorate their experiences. Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, and the like were certain to be lively. I must have hit a stroke of good luck by looking at one of the many bulletin boards around campus that had the flier for this evening's festivities on it.

Since I didn't know anyone here and had no friends. Just as I turned to head for the stands to see what kind of food I could indulge myself in, my body collided with that of another and we both crashed to the ground. The universe must have a sense of humor.

I certainly didn't find this funny.

I had landed on top, straddling this decidedly male body with one hand tucked under his head and the other palm down on the grass beneath us both. Lifting my head up, I met a lovely yet curious set of what looked like light green eyes. Dark hair pulled neatly from his face with somewhat fair and unblemished skin. He was actually pretty cute.

"Well hell." I pushed up to my hands to get a better look at him, ignoring the nosy rubbernecking onlookers around us. "Is your head ok? I tried to it on the way down."

Pulling myself up, I extended a hand to mystery man to help him up. He accepted the hand, grabbing the skateboard I assume was his with him as he did.

He dusted himself off. "No harm done."

Cocking my head to the side, I looked at his board. "I'm more of an inline skater girl myself."

Which was the truth. I could never really put up with four wheelers, and I didn't like the feeling of limited mobility when I got on a skate board. Inline Skates were my thing, though not like I had been on a pair in years. It might nice to get back to them. A good change of pace, and maybe even a faster way to get around campus rather than driving or taking the bus. Hm. The idea had merit.

He nodded thoughtfully. "I only skate for transport, not recreation, but to each their own."

"Indeed." I held my hand out to him once more. "My name is Contessa."

His extended in return. "René. A pleasure."

Quite a pleasure it certainly seemed to be. Maybe he could be the first friend I made here. Not like it would hurt to have one or two. Someone to keep my company and likewise for them. That idea had merit too.

"We should both watch where we're going next time. Agreed?" a smile crept across my face.

His eyes met mine, and he paused for a moment before smirking, "Agreed. Maybe schedule an appointment at the optometrist while we're at it."

Was he trying to be funny?

"Hm," was my thoughtful reply as I placed my finger to my chin. "Do you have any recommendations?

"Google's guess is better than mine."

"Google probably has better vision than you too, I would gander." I joke. "Since it didn't knock me over."

He smiled wryly. "According to that logic, a rhino would also have better sight than me, yet its eyes are terrible."

"I would say they also seem to have a better sense of direction as well." was my witty reply.

"Rhinos rely more on their hearing than their sight, and since they're very temperamental, their sense of direction might point them towards everyone else. You probably wouldn't be the only person being knocked over."

He's being cute. Don't smile. Don't smile. Don't smile.

I smiled. Dammit.

"Well," I sighed. "Then I guess someone who doesn't have to rely mostly on their sense of sound and have less tempemental tendencies would be better equipped not to run into people, wouldn't you say?"

"Than a rhino? Definitely." He pulled out his phone and briefly typed away before looking up again. "Barrington Eye Care Center, 330 Main Street. There's your recommendation."

"Hmm..." Nodding as I smiled, my reply was, "seems like you picked a good place to go. Mine was done before the semester started, so you should really get on that. Hopefully you fair better than a Rhino."

"I should think that I most certainly would." He gave a two fingered salute as I turned to wonder back through the crowd of Harry Potter enthusiasts.

Spoiler! :
Sooooooo I finally posted!!! This post is probably going to be darn short compared to the last two, and also probably gonna be garbage. I just hope you could find at least a modicum of joy from it anyway xD
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:33 am
View Likes
NicoleBri says...

MIA

I had arrived at the school late already missing my first and only class of the day. It had been a long day moving all of my stuff into one of the dorm rooms. I had gotten everything done last minute and was finally bringing the last of my bags to my room when suddenly I felt a body push right into mine causing me to lose focus of what I was looking at on the phone.

"Can you watch where you are going, dude?" I huffed as I looked up to see a guy standing to my left. I obviously was in a rush more than I had realized.

"Texting while walking will cause accidents." he retorted.

My anger faded, shit happens, and life moves on.

"Sorry I should've been looking," I blushed slightly and put my phone in my pocket as I noticed he was wearing a Harry Potter Ravenclaw shirt. Must have been going to that movie event I heard was happening here shortly.

We were about to part ways when he ended up inviting me to come to the movie. He had a blanket in his hands as he told me he planned on napping in between movies. I couldn't help but laugh, that was silly and we all know that wasn't going to happen.

"Uhm, I might meet you there. I am still bringing the rest of my stuff up to my dorm." I lifted the two bags I had left from sitting on the floor.

"Okay, well then I will see you there." he responded with a smile.

"What's your name?" I asked, curiously since I had been talking to a complete stranger the last 15 minutes or so.

"Oh it's Daniel," he replied.

"Amelia." I held out my hand to shake his and he kind of smiled, I guess it was weird to shake a girls hand or something?

"okay, well, see you later, Danny." I said once more before taking my bags and walking into my dorm direction. It was nice meeting a new person.

"Bye, Mia." he yelled out before walking to the Harry Potter event. It was nice hearing someone call me Mia instead of Ameila because I actually hated my name.

Rummaging through my closet, I had absolutely NO clothes that could even remotely pass for Harry Potter.

sigh

"How am I the only person that has never watched Harry Potter?" I mumbled to myself.

Looking over to the other side of the room, I noticed my room mate already had her stuff put away, she was no where in sight.

Should I maybe look through her stuff and see if she has anything?

NO. Amelia stop that. You can't just steal.

I mean it would just be borrowing...

NO

Here I am sitting here talking to myself and answering on if I should steal my new room-mates clothes. It was a no brainer but of course I had to ponder on it.

After giving up searching all my clothes I settled for a black tank top and shorts. The shorts were a tad shorter than I usually wore but oh well.

Hooking my headphones up to my phone, I played Hey Stephen by Taylor Swift, no one knew this but she was one of my favorite singers and I had basically all her albums on my phone.

Humming, I walked down the stairs and out the door for the long pathway to the quad which was where I heard they were doing the film out. Once arriving it literally felt like a little mini fair minus any rides. There were so many people around that I couldn't decide where I wanted to walk to or even what to do. Looking at everyone else, I was totally out of place and my stomach began to knot up. Maybe I shouldn't even be here. This wasn't my scene after all.

I saw a tree close by the big screen they were screening the movie on and hurriedly got my Dr. Pepper from the drink station and went to claim my seat. It was a beautiful tree, it kind of reminded me of a willow tree the way it leaned over. The screen was about 30 feet or so from where I was sitting, it wasn't a great view but it would do. I might be one of the people who did end up falling asleep watching it.

"Hey there." I looked up from a book I was reading and saw Daniel had showed up.

"Oh hey! Sit with me." I patted my open seat next to me, it was nice seeing a familiar face.

"I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do at these things." I told him.

"Just socialize and meet new friends. Who doesn't love Harry Potter?" he asked, smiling, I couldn't help but notice he had a cute smile.

"I mean... I haven't even watched it if I'm being honest. I just googled a little bit so I wouldn't be totally clueless before coming." I replied.

I looked around just staring at everyone having fun, it was great, I just wasn't a people person. I grabbed my flask out of my back pocket and dumped some vodka in my Dr. Pepper.

"Want some?" I offered.

Spoiler! :
I know this post isn't great but it will get better. My first posts tend to lack what everyone else's doesn't lol

I didn't really know who to interact with tbh so if you want to be friends or enemies with Amelia feel free to interact!

@Nike I did add Daniel to my post, I hope it was okay, let me know if you need me to change something.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:37 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Sebastian Davis

It’s official. I’m extremely out of my comfort zone here. How are there so many people who love Harry Potter at this school? Yeah, I get it’s a global phenomenon, but I’ve never understood the hype all that much. I pull self-consciously on the Gryffindor tee Simon told me I “had” to wear and look around. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, and according to my watch I need to start the movie in approximately 6 minutes. As those six minutes pass I watch the crowd stagger to their seats and quiet down. I prepare the file on the main computer and start playing the movie. As the main music begins to play some people actually clap. What is this, an airplane? I laugh to myself as I pull my laptop out to begin working on some homework. As the minutes pass I focus hard on my work blocking out the sounds of the movie.

“Hey.” I hear a voice call out to me, and I jump. I look over to see a girl with short blonde hair staring straight at me.

“Hi?” I ask confused. Shit was something wrong with the movie and I missed it? I checked the screen, but the movie was still playing normally. I sigh with relief as she begins talking again.

“Sorry, I was just…” The random girls voice staggers a bit before she continues. “Umm, you look bored. You don’t want to sit out there with us maybe? It’s not like you have to monitor the movie from the computer.” Habitually I react to this with a raised eyebrow. My conversation with Simon from earlier popped into my head. Do girls really want to flirt with me? Is this what that is?

“Uh, I probably shouldn’t leave this spot.” I say shyly. “It’s a job, and I’d hate for something to go wrong and then have a mob of Harry Potter fans rush the booth ya know? Plus, there is a lot of expensive equipment and I would… “ I trail off not sure what else to say.

“You don’t have to explain.” She smiles catching my awkwardness. “It’s alright. I just thought you could use the company. If you change your mind though there is always-“

“Seb!” A girl’s voice calls out from one of the faraway booths. Suddenly with a flash of red hair Leanna Broderick, Simon’s sister runs up to the booth followed close behind by one of her equally cooler friends.

“Oh…hey Leanna.” I brush the back of my head feeling even more anxious than I just did. Leanna was cool, and she sometimes would hang out with Simon and me if she ever was at Simon’s apartment. I even had a crush on her my freshman year, but that quickly faded along with the clear lack of interest in me. The closest thing I’d ever be to Leanna Broderick was a little brother even though I was 4 months older than her.

“Who’s this?” She asks motioning to the blonde girl with a mocking sing-song voice. She bends down near me, and whispers in a purposely not quiet way. “Do I need to pretend to be your girlfriend to get rid of her?” She laughs lightheartedly and turns to the girl who now looked mortified at what Leanna just said.

“Leanna, she’s cool.” I say trying to diffuse the situation before Leanna takes it too far. Like I mentioned earlier Leanna has always seen me as a little brother, and believe me, she takes that job seriously especially in regard to protection.

“Sorry I’m just messing with you.” She laughs again talking to the girl. “It’s just that Seb here doesn’t really know the “way” of the girl, and I was trying to save you from his inevitable offensive comment.”

“Leanna…” I say again with a warning tone through clenched teeth.

“Fine. Fine.” She says raising her hands up. “I guess I’ll leave then.” She motions to their friend and they start to walk off. When she gets behind the blonde girl she quickly motions with her hands, and soundlessly mouths ‘she’s cute’ and gives me a thumbs up. At this, I reject the urge to flip her off, and try to turn my attention back to the girl.

“Your sister?” She asks curiously with an awkward laugh.

“Close enough. Best friend’s sister.” I explain. She nods in recognition.

“Makes sense. Well I guess I’ll leave you to it then.” She takes a step away then stops herself. “The offer does still stand, if you want. However, I get it. This booth seems highly comfortable.” She motions to the area around me.

“The finest nerd hovel you’ll find here.” I joke.

“For sure.” She smiles. “Well I’ll see you around…Seb.” She finally walks off leaving me back where I started alone with my computer.

Shit should I have asked for her name?

Spoiler! :
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:40 am
View Likes
Nike says...

Daniel Huntzberger

Mia seemed nice enough, she was trying to fit into the Harry Potter squad. But I really wanted to find Wil-- honestly, I felt like Joe Goldberg at this point when it came to Wil, but I couldn't help wanting to see her. I'm not about to stand in front of her window and watch her... yeah, but I will look for her and try to spark up a conversation. She is really nice. Bumping into her was probably the best thing that happened to me so far at this God forsaken school, hence why I am going after her. I don't want to lose her in the herd of students.

"Want some?" Mia asked me.

I turned to look at her, she shook her plastic red cup in my face. I'm assuming it's vodka from the waft of air that flew into my face. Wasn't super down for that with someone I barely knew. At least not yet.

Shaking my head, I said, "Nah, I'm good, thanks."

Normally I'd probably say yes, but not only was it in the middle of the day, I didn't really know this girl. She seemed really nice, but I don't want to risk my drunk stupid side from coming out just yet. That's what got me in trouble at my last school.

Another thing is maybe that... my ex told me I'm an alcoholic. I didn't agree with her, but since she broke up with me and said that, I haven't had a drink.

"No fun," She teased, sipping on her drink.

I gave her a side smile, "No fun just yet," I paused. "Hey, I did kind of want to meet someone here, so I'll be back if anything?"

She rose an eyebrow in response to me standing up. "Okay, I hope she's worth it."

Talking to Wil felt pretty great. She was just so easy to talk to, the conversation felt natural. I knew I couldn't stop being around her since the day we bumped into each other-- rather I almost ran her over with my bike. I couldn't get the image of her face out of my head since then. I know it wasn't too long ago, but that's never happened to me. Pam did join us, which did disappoint me a little bit but she's a nice girl too, I couldn't be mad that she came with Wil. It just ruined the moment slightly.

The movie ended with the whole crowd clapping, including myself. I caught a glimpse of Wil's face, her smile was so wide, true, genuine. Who knew Daniel Radcliffe could make this girl smile from ear to ear?

"Okay, I really need to get that guys' number or something." Pam out right said once we started collecting our things.

"What guy?" Wil asked.

"Seb," She sighed. "Though there was this girl, I forget her name... she seemed to be more than just a friend."

"You could just be his friend then? He never told me he's dating anyone, but he could be talking to someone, I'm not super close to him at all." I decided to comment.

The both of them froze and looked at me, their faces were definitely disappointed in my answer. I felt my heart skip a beat as I cleared my throat, about to explain my reasoning.

"Okay, I know you don't want to be just his friend but hear me out. If something is already happening you can't stop it. But if you feel an attraction, why not be friends? Why not get to know him and have him in your life? It'll hurt but I do know Seb and he's a really nice guy to have around."

Pam took what I said and took a deep breath. I can see her going through her thoughts. "Can't say that's a bad idea, but it'll suck knowing he wouldn't like me back."

"Who knows he's dating that girl though? Did you ask about him about her?" Wil asked, grabbing the blanket from the ground.

I followed suit, knowing I'll forget it if I don't grab it now. All the other people around us were collectively either still having a good time, or taking their things and leaving. The sun has set and the night was honestly too beautiful to just go back to the dorms just yet. Even the crisp air was comforting.

"Well, of course I did, and he said that's his best friends' sister-- nothing else." Pam explained.

"Then I think you could still have a realistic chance, I'm sure he would have said something else?" Wil replied.

Pam shrugged, "Maybe, I hope I get a chance to see him again."

"I did say I know Seb," I butt in, "I can get us all to hang and not make it obvious that you just wanted to see him again."

"You would do that?" she asked. I caught sight of Wil, she rose an eyebrow in question at me. She had her blanket under her arm and Pam was threw a backpack over her shoulder, the one stuffed with even more snacks. I stuffed my blanket under my arm and followed them as they started to walk off.

"Yeah I would cause why not. It'd be fun to expand our friend group." I smiled.

"I mean, Wil? You okay with that?" Pam asked.
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher