Young Writers Society

Book Club in Room U202

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:49 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Joanna Cribari

It was magic. Real magic. The air around me changed the minute James stepped up to the items. It felt like there was this barrier between me and magic that was now flooding over. A form of ecstacy rushed through my senses as if I had been asleep my whole life, and was just now waking up. I could tell I wasn’t the only one feeling this, but I could also tell some others still had their doubts. After James, Connor, and Kadie presented their gifts, a few of us got up to take our turn. A few others succeeded, but some of us who weren’t so quick were left feeling barren after nothing happened.

Mrs. Whitaker assured us that it doesn’t always appear the first time we touch the items. Some of us will actually need to build some simple magic before our specialty will appear. It’s slightly disheartening, but just the thought of being able to wield magic boosts my mood a bit.

“Core elemental magic is the first step in all of your magical careers. No matter your class or specialty you will be able to wield elemental magic.” Mrs. Whitaker lifts her hands removing the items from the table and in their place appears four bowls to represent earth, water, fire, and air. “Sometimes your specialty grows from these simple magics. For example, Kadie-” She turns to her.

“You appear to specialize in electric waves, and you manipulate them to allow yourself to move at an above average speed. This is an elemental mix of air and fire.” She smiles turning back to the rest of us. “And surprisingly, psychic students use elemental ability to define their powers as well. No matter who you are or what you do,you’ll have elemental magic to guide you.”

---------------------------------

“That was amazing!” I say excitedly grabbing onto Kadie’s arm as we leave the lecture hall. “Can you believe this? Our whole lives are going to be different now.” She laughs slightly.

“You’re really happy?” She says squeezing my hand.

“Should I not be?” Kadie stops and turns to me doing her typical mom friend thing. Ever since Ben she’s always made it a habit to check up on me.

“To be completely honest you looked crushed after your specialty wasn’t revealed.” She says looking down. I sigh.

“Look don’t feel bad because your specialty was revealed. I am so happy and excited for you! To be completely honest I was upset at first. But that was before I could do this...” I wave my hand up conjuring a small flame into the palm of my hand. We both smile at its warmth. “I may not know what I can do yet, but I feel it in my bones. Something’s there.” I brush the flame away.

“Hey Kadie! Joanna!” We turn just in time to see James run down the steps after us. Almost immediately my hands start sweating as he looks over at me with a smile. I quickly notice that the color has returned to his face. I’m not quite sure what happened in there to him, but I know it hit him like a brick wall. He isn’t fully back to normal, but he is sure as hell putting up a fight to seem like he is.

“You guys up for some burgers or something? I think we all kind of deserve something after all...that.” He slightly laughs, but you can tell it’s forced.

“You two go ahead.” I suggest. “I have work tonight anyways.”

“You have work every night. It’d be really cool for you to join us.” James says. I swallow hard as he looks down at me with those green eyes.

“Honestly. Can’t you just ask you dad or something?” Kadie asks. I turn to her looking away from James. I can feel my cheeks heat up. “They are the owners you know.” She adds.

“Sorry guys. I really can’t.” I take a step back. “I think I’m just gonna head back to the dorms to grab my stuff. You guys have fun.” I walk off hearing Kadie mumble something under her breath. I don’t make it 15 yards before my phone buzzes in my pocket.

Why do you always do that? Anytime James talks to us or we hang out with him you shut down.

What is your deal? Do you not like James or something?

Wait a sec.

I shove my phone into my bag and keep walking.

When I make it back to the dorm, I unlock my door and throw my stuff, including myself, onto the bed once I’m inside.

“Are you okay?” Startled, I sit up quickly noticing Nadia across the room sitting on her bed. In front of her is a laptop and a scattered array of papers and books. “Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you.” She apologizes.

“No it’s fine.” I laugh gingerly. “Just didn’t want to be late for work. How could you possibly work on homework after what we just went through.”

“I actually...haven’t been able to do anything yet.” She says quietly.

“But today she taught us the flame spell. No one seemed to show concern or have troubles with it.” I think back.

“I think some people just didn’t voice theirs. It’s not exactly easy knowing you can’t even do the basics. Let alone find your specialty.” She shuts her laptop with a huff. “What if the book made a mistake?” She questions disappointingly.

“I think with a book like that it’s kind of impossible for it to make mistakes.” I smile at her, but her gaze stays on her lap. “I mean, yeah it kind of sucked knowing that not everyone is suddenly gifted and special. But on the bright side Mrs. Whitaker assured us that it would come eventually. Not just our specialty, but everything. We just learned about it today, so it's not the end of the world. Heck it’s not even the end of the day yet.”

“You’re oddly optimistic?” She inquires with a slight chuckle.

“I have my moments.” I smile.

“Thanks...” She smiles back at me, but I can see the slight shade in her eyes showing that she’s still worried. I know she doesn’t want to talk about it anymore so I stand and smile continuing my attempt at packing up for work.

Now that I think about it, we’ve never really had any long or deep conversations. I suppose that might change now that we have something so important in common. I just pray that she can find her place in it all.

----------------------------------

Later that evening

The clock ticks as 4:50 pm strikes and I check my watch. Cribari’s dinner shift starts in 10 minutes and Cindy forgot to light the candles in the far dining room again. The lunch crowd has cleared out, and I still have to cut lemons while I simultaneously prepare to train that new guy tonight. I take a deep breath tying my hair back into a ponytail.

I have time.

I walk back behind the front counter to grab a lighter from the top of one of the cabinets. I click it a few times to ignite the flame, but nothing happens. I blow a strand of hair away from my eye, and try igniting it a few more times. Still nothing happens.

“Shit.” I toss the lighter into the nearest trash can, and walk towards the far dining room making the mental note of discussing Cindy’s prep work with her. I approach the first candle and look at the cold dull wick. “Please don’t let me catch anything on fire, or blow anything up.” I turn my head over both shoulders. The far dining room is empty for the most part as my family and other servers prepare their setup for the Saturday night rush. If I place myself strategically, then even if someone passes through the dining room I should be okay. I scope one more time, and prep my hands in front of me. Following the hand movements Mrs. Whitaker gave us, I form and shape my fingers into the final flick of my hand but nothing happens. I scrunch up my nose and shake out my hands prepping to start another time. I try again with more fluidity and once again it fails. I sigh loudly throwing my head back.

“Come on.” I breathe. I fall into the motions one last time, and with the flick of my hand a flame appears. “Yes!” I smile. The next few wicks light with ease as I walk from table to table.

“You’re having fun.” I whip around to see the new guy in the doorway. He’s holding his apron in his left hand, and I quickly take note that his shirt is one size too big.

“What- What did you see?” I ask unconvincingly. He looks at me a moment, his smirk not faltering. I sigh. “How much did you see?”

“I got here around the third candle.” I look down quickly cursing under my breath. “Yeah one day with magic and it’s already addicting. It’s best just to be careful like Mrs. Whitaker said.” I look up and raise an eyebrow at him.

“I was at the book club meeting you know.” He confirms.

“You were?” I ask slightly embarrassed.

“Oh wow.” He runs a hand through his hair. “Yeah I was. I was next to my sister Nadia.”

“Nadia? Sister? Wait what?”

“Wow you really aren’t observant, but I guess I can’t blame you considering what was going on.” He holds out his hand. “I know we already met but something tells me I should probably give you my name again. Aidan.” I don’t know why but I actually laugh.

“Joanna.” We shake hands. “And I’m sorry.”

“No worries. So what’s first boss?”

“What’s first is that I’m not your boss. And what’s second is cutting lemons.” I say jokingly, and he smiles.

-------------------------------------

It’s the end of the night, and I’m carrying two large trash bags to the dumpster out back.

“Hey, let me help you with that.” Aidan quickly runs up behind me grabbing one of the bags from my hands before I even have the chance of refusing.

“Uh thanks.” I say opening up the back door and trailing out into the alleyway. I look up at the dark and cloudy sky and notice the rumble of thunder in the distance.

“Looks like it’s gonna rain.” He says speaking my thoughts.

“It’s weird. There was nothing about thunderstorms on the forecast.”

“Must’ve changed in the last few hours.”

“I guess.” We reach the dumpster and throw our bags in simultaneously they echo a crash mimicking the thunder above. I look up as a small drop of water lands on my cheek. “Well here comes the-” Before I can even finish my sentence the rain begins to pour seemingly out of nowhere. We start off running back towards the restaurant. I look over to Aidan who is laughing despite the chill he probably feels.

“What?” He asks looking at me. We now stop just before we reach the door. “Might as well enjoy it since we’re gonna be soaked now anyways.”

Suddenly there is a deafening crash and flash of white light that sends us falling to the ground. I blink up at the red sparks left behind as my ears ring. The old metal fire escape above us creaks as the hinges burst from there places in the wall. I try to scream something at the disoriented Aidan but he does nothing. The structure begins to fall upon us and I raise my hands above me expecting the impending pain and injuries. However, nothing comes.

I slowly open my eyes to see the metal structure now above us...hanging in mid air. My eyes widen as the metal structure seamlessly comes apart into fragments no larger than a ruler. The fragments float around me morphing themselves into these small unrecognizable shapes. As the fall to the ground they surround me forming the same shape on the ground. My body feels numb and I can’t move. Across from me Aidan sits baffled just as confused and shocked as me at the sight in front of us.

“Holy shit.” I breathe out. I crouch down slowly and pick up one of the small pieces of metal. It is warm in my hands and it shutters lightly with life. “I think I...I think I just discovered my specialty.”
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 pm
Mageheart says...

Puck

[Book Club Meeting]
[After Kyle and Before Joanna]

Of course she had wished that magic was real; it was the staple of so many of her childhood stories, and it would be the solution to every problem she encountered. People didn't just discover magic. They would discover enemies and a danger they had never anticipated, but they would also make friends along the way. And it would be those friends that made the bad times good.

But even though she had just bore witness to several magical acts, she didn't feel the same exhilarating feeling she had when Yusuke used his spirit gun for the first time, or when Sailor Moon did her first transformation. It was impressive. It was unexpected. It was perhaps the coolest thing she had ever seen. Common sense said that she should have been teeming with joy!

Yet she couldn't help but feel horrible.

Because, as she had quickly realized, the majority of the members already knew each other. There were some other people like her. Their numbers were few compared to how many people seemed to have connections, and her hopes had been brutally dashed. They would have no reason to talk to her if they were already well-acquainted with the others.

(Not that she needed new friends. She was perfectly fine the way she was, and the books were why she had originally come.)

Kyle returned to his seat.

When Mrs. Whitaker looked around the room for volunteers, Puck tapped her foot on the ground. She was in the presence of magic, for crying out loud! This was no time to mope about something that was bound to happen. Magic was real, and she was going to wield it. It was as simple as that. She would be just like the protagonists of her books and her animes, though she wasn't quite sure what one was supposed to do with magic in the real world.

She pushed her chair back.

“I'll go!” she enthusiastically said. Shaking off the dredges of loneliness, she practically skipped over to the table. There were so many possibilities! She desperately hoped she wasn't meant to be a healer. Healing implied having people to heal, and it would be a rather useless ability when she didn't know many people in the first place.

When she reached the table, she made a beeline for the ring. It was best to see if healing others truly was her fate. Relief flooded her when it failed to glow. It seemed that she had narrowly avoided that hurdle. The cards didn't move, and the box stayed mute. The journal was exactly what it looked like – a journal. The plant remained in its current state.

Which left the orb.

Oh God oh God oh God oh God!

Illusions had to be her specialty, by process of elimination! There was the possibility that it was a delayed reaction to one of the other characters, but her and illusions just felt right. After all, her nickname was one of a faerie. It was meant to be. If she had any doubts about wielding magic prior to this moment, they were no longer there. She had never felt so thrilled!

She eagerly grabbed onto the orb.

Staring into its depths, she waited for a reaction. What did she desire? She couldn't think of anything. She did want a house with a gigantic library when she graduated, but that was more of a silly little wish. She wouldn't see something like that, right? And she had desired magic, but she knew she had it know. Would the orb just show the scene of her holding it? (But then would the orb in the scene show the orb showing the orb and so forth?)

And image started to form in the depths of the orb. She held her breath. This was it! Even if it didn't display what she had guessed it would, it was still confirmation that illusions were her specialty. What else could she hope for?

But then she realized it wasn't something appearing in the depths of the orb – no, it was the reflection of something appearing outside of the orb. The illusions beside her were hazy at best, and she could only make out their faces from her familiarity of them. It was her classmates from high school. To be more specific, the girls she had always admired from afar. They threw parties every weekend and never seemed to be alone, always chatting in the hallways when she would occasionally pass them.

She looked back at the orb.

They were more defined in it; an accurate representation of their actual selves. The illusions beside her were clearly illusions. She placed the orb back on the table. The illusions beside her faded into nothingness, and she turned back to the others with a smile on her face that didn't reach her eyes.

“Well, it looks like I'm living up to my nickname,” she cheerfully said, returning to her seat. “Illusions are a thing of the fae, after all!”

The orb had been her Mirror of Erised; instead of seeing the family she wished she had, she saw the friends she never could meet. The admittance of the reality she couldn't reach only made it all the more enticing. If only she could do more than create illusions. If only they weren't just lazy imitations of friends. If only, just for a day, she could call them into being and not be alone.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

James Clover

James didn't really pay attention to what everyone was getting. Kadie's seemed interesting. Shooting across the room in the blink of an eye. But to see where she went he was forced to look at the old man that was currently staring at him. Arms folded over his chest with a scowl on his features. He reminded James of Sam Elliot from all those westerns, and he was just staring at James.

James tried to pretend that he didn't see him. That there weren't twice as many people in the room as when they had started. People that only he could see. The idea that he might be relapsing into....whatever the hell it was frightened him. Very few things frightened him any more...but he was doing everything he could not to tremble.

Kadie sat down looking at her hands. They were shaking, but from excitement rather than fear. "Did you see that?" She asked him. "That was amazing!"

"Yeah," he said, trying to sound like he was happy about what was going on. But at the moment...he was regretting having come here in the first place.

With everyone having gotten their first lesson in magic, everyone headed home. James started to feel panic. His apartment was already cramped, but the idea of these...visions following him home and making it even smaller. He couldn't do it...he needed to stay away as long as possible.

His eyes locked onto Kadie and her friend. Joanna, right? he asked himself. He knew they were real. He could keep them close.

"Hey Kadie! Joanna!" he called running after them. "You guys up for some burgers or something? I think we all kind of deserve something after all...that." It was a lie. James wasn't hungry, but he couldn't think of a better excuse, especially with the woman that was breathing down his neck. Well...she wasn't really breathing on him. But he could sense her standing there, right behind him. Even picture what she looked like. A younger woman with bright blue eyes in a red dress. He didn't even have to turn around to know that she wasn't wearing any shoes.

The laugh he let out was forced and nervous. His green eyes practically begging them to say yes.

"You two go ahead," Joanna said. "I have work tonight anyways." Even in his freaked out state he noted how Joanna seemed to avoid him. Truth was that everyone avoided him in some degree, only Kadie had kept coming around enough for him to relax a little with her.

He didn't catch the rest of the conversation, his eyes darting around to the other individuals that were filtering out. There was the girl that had people appear around her, hazy images of them at least. When he had seen that he nearly jumped out of his chair when he thought more people were appearing.

"Um...h..hey you! Um...illusion girl," he said waving Puck over. He hadn't meant to be rude, but at the moment he was lucky if he could remember his own name. "You wanna come with us? Going out for burgers," he said.

Puck seemed a little startled that James had talked to her, almost like she was in her own little world. But she gave a small nod and walked over. "Might as well since we have all this new stuff to look into," she mentioned. "You should relax James, you might keel over and become one of those people you're seeing."

"Don't mention that," James snapped. His green eyes burning a little as he wasn't in the mood to even acknowledge that there were people around them right now. He closed his eyes and took a few breaths before he spoke through his teeth. "I'm sorry it's just...I don't want to deal with that right now. Not even jokingly."

He could see that he had shocked not only Puck but Kadie as well. He sighed as he motioned for the two of them to follow. Going to a little diner on campus he took the booth at the back with the two girl across from him. His hand fidgeting on the table as he tried to ignore the crowd outside the window and the four other that were there staring at him at the table.

He was genuinely startled when the waitress came over, appearing from inside one of the people suddenly, to ask what they wanted. James just got a soda. The fact that the people didn't move made him start to think that he wasn't imagining people. If they were figments of his imagination they would have moved and let the waitress through.

"You need to relax, James," Kadie said. The tone of worry in her voice made it evident that he was visibly stressed right now. "Everything is alright. It's just the three of us." She seemed to notice how James kept looking to the area beside the booth. No one was there and his eyes never remained very long. Just a quick glance as if to check that something wasn't there...or if it still was. "Are you still seeing...whatever it is you're seeing?"

"I don't want to talk about it," James said sipping on his soda.

"Well you didn't invite us because you like being around people," Puck mentioned. "You're more isolated than I am when Kadie isn't around."

"Talk to us, James," Kadie implored.

Sighing, James shook his head. "There are four people beside the table."

"Oh so NOW you acknowledge us!" the young woman said. James jumped as he stared at them. None of the things from his childhood ever talked back to him. "So what is it? Why you got yourself all tense? You're the one that called us here."

"I didn't call anyone. Just leave me alone," James hissed back.

He could see Kadie and Puck looking between him and the seemingly empty space by the table.

"Doesn't work that way, kid," the older man from before said. "You're stuck with us. Might as well get used to it."

James focused on his drink, ignoring the crowd once again and seeing the looks that Kadie and Puck were giving him.

"Who were you talking to?" Kadie finally asked.

"Don't know," James said.

"My name is Henry," the old man said factually.

"Says his name is Henry," James repeated.

"Oh....you see dead people," Puck smirked.

James slammed his hand on the table angrily, his green eyes lit up.

"Ease up, kid. She's only trying to relieve the tension," Henry said.

"Well it's pissing me off," he growled to the older man.

"James I don't know what is going on with you but you don't get to take it out on other people," Kadie mothered. James just sat back in his seat. This seemed to be a mistake on his part. Now he was getting upset at people that hadn't even done anything. "What the hell is going on with you?"

James ran a hand down his face as he looked between Kadie and Puck. "This...isn't the first time I have been seeing things. When I was six I began seeing people that weren't there. Talking to them. My mother took me to a psychiatrist and they tried to...fix me. Several of them said I should be admitted. I got put on different medications. When I was eight they just...went away. It was hell for me and my mom for two years. I do not want to go through that again."

"James, our magic has only just awakened. Maybe there is something you're supposed to do with...whoever you're seeing."

"Yeah! Like the Ghost Whisperer. Now you just need a sidekick," Puck smirked. James could see that she was genuinely trying to bring a bit of humor to the rather serious moment. Not just for him, but for her as well. He could see that her magic didn't have what she had hoped for either. He couldn't really understand how he could see that...but he could.

"Or maybe that kid from sixth sense. Help them with their unfinished business," Kadie offered.

"These might not be your friends, by they're definitely lookin' out for you," Henry said. "You should keep them around."

"I can't believe that a kid like this is what we get drawn to. With everything he has wrong with him he isn't gonna be able to do much with us," another man said. He was dressed in a pin stripped suit and fedora. He had the look of an old time gangster, even had a coin that he was flipping idly as he leaned against the booth seat.

"Kid's got more wrong with him than a tractor after it's thrown a rod," yet another woman said in a very southern accent.

"This is going to be a pain," James growled as he could more voices chiming in. It all turned into noise, with only bits and pieces understandable. Looking to Kadie he could see that her and Puck were trying to ask him if he was okay. Covering his ears did nothing. The noise just rose louder and louder until he screamed.

"SHUT UP! ALL OF YOU JUST SHUT UP!" he roared. Standing up from the seat he threw down the money for the food as he stormed out. His head hurt and he couldn't tell if anyone was behind him. But he needed to get away. He was getting overwhelmed and he couldn't take it right now.

Kadie caught up with him, already using her powers to her advantage. She stopped him as Puck was puffing to catch up. "JAMES!" Kadie yelled at him. "Stop! Okay! Just stop!"

"I...I can't...It's too much noise," James said holding his head.

"What is? What noise?" Puck asked starting to get as concerned as Kadie.

"The voices. They're all talking at once," he said gritting his teeth.

"Let's get you home," Kadie said taking him by the hand with Puck placing a hand on his opposite shoulder.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:24 pm
Nike says...

Kadie Francisa Wilheim

James was going through something that I couldn't help him with. All I could do was be there and support him and maybe help him figure out what he was seeing. I was leading James back to school... somewhere safe.

I had my hand in his as we walked down the sidewalk, towards my car. Puck was on his other side, a concerned look lining her face. People were walking around us, minding their own days, oblivious to our magic. Magic... that's so weird to imagine.

"James," I smiled up at him. He turned his head, red lined his eyes. "I want you to talk to Mrs. Whitaker about this..."

Rolling his eyes, he pulled his hand out of mine, leaving me cold. He picked up his pace and started walking away from us. I looked at Puck and saw her face drop as she picked up her own pace and went after him. I pushed past a coupe that was walking slowly in front of me and raced to James' side, tugging his sleeve.

"James, she was only tryin to help you," Puck said.

"I don't need help! I know what to do." He huffed, avoiding looking at me.

"James, please... I don't mean help. I mean that you need help understanding what this is, this is a power and she can help you." I took his hand in mine. "Please don't be mad James, I care for you, you're one of my best friends."

Our eyes met, tears were building up in his eyes, and I knew I was getting to him. He was a stubborn kid, but he needed this. He held onto my hand tighter and smiled. Puck had walked over to us and smiled.

"Okay, now, can we go?"

"Olivia, I need to ask you something." I asked once I shut the door to my dorm room. She was seated on her bed, headphones placed on her head. Rolling my eyes, I waved my arms until she caught sight of me.

Taking off her headphones, she rose an eyebrow at me. "What?"

"I have a question..." I felt my heart skip a beat as I sat on my bed across from her. She had her soft brown hair up in a bun, which looked effortless... if I did that with mine, I'd look like I'm five.

"Go ahead Kat,"

"Do you know Adam?"

"Adam Hersch?"

I nodded, watching her place her headphones next to her as she focused her attention on me.

"Yeah I might have a few classes with him, he's pretty cool." She paused, looking over me, "Does someone have a crush?"

I felt my cheeks heat up as I shook my head. "No, I'm just wondering... I was at that party the other night and we shared a smoke, he seemed cool."

"Shared a smoke." She teased. "You like him."

Spoiler! :
I don't know what to write but, I want her to get to know her roommate @Oswin1800
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 am
JustJasper says...

Olivia Bradshaw

My mind was racing a thousand miles an hour trying to cram all of the information and process it. Watching magic happen was like dropping an iPhone in water and then trying to call someone. It was nearly impossible to focus.

My head was spinning as I held the plant in my hand. The entire situation just felt right. It was relieving to see he plant shift to the shape of a dog. It felt like home. Like waking up and feeling the sun on your face as you sip hot chocolate. Like eating your favorite food and putting on fuzzy socks. It was good. Nothing has been the same since.

Now my time was divided between my updated biochemistry schedule and doing magic in my free time. I took every chance I could to practice what we had learned. I noticed some of the others struggle to perform the spells but for me they just came naturally as if they were instinctual.

My roommate Kadie was in book club too. I hoped that magic could help us to get to know each other a little better. She seemed really cool but we just hadn’t spoken much. So when she asked me about Adam I couldn’t help but grin.

“Shared a smoke,” I teased. “You like him.”

“No! He just seems really cool and I was just wondering if you knew him,” the word just kept tumbling out.

“Kat you’re so red I could mistake you for a tomato. You like him and honestly I think you two are really cute.”

I didn’t think it was possible but somehow she turned even redder.

“He doesn’t even see me,” she mumbled looking away.

At that I couldn’t help but giggle.

“Doesn’t see you? How could anybody not see you?” I laughed.

Her eyes widened with surprise.

“You don’t give yourself enough credit Kat,” I said.

“Olivia it’s not that simple,”

“Sure it is. You’re hot he notices he’s a dude I think they have to. Like it’s some kind of dude code,” I laughed.

She let a grin dance across her face at that. “But I don’t know if there will ever be anything else there,” she said moving to sit on my bed.

“There is probably more there than you think. I’ve see the way he smiles when he looks at you. It’s not outlandish to hope for more. Relationships have been built on a lot less you know. Besides who wouldn’t want to be in a relationship with you.”

She smiled. “Thanks Olivia”

“Call me Olly,” I offered.

————————————

Mrs. Whitaker grabbed my arm with a grin at the end of the lesson.

“Olivia can I speak with you for a minute?” She asked.

“Sure” I nodded.

I looked to Kat for a moment and she nodded before disappearing through the door.

Whitaker led me to a closer at the back of the room and removed a box from one of the shelves.

“I noticed your affinity for animal magic on the first day and while your plant took the shape of a dog I thought that would be a bit difficult to manage in college especially at this level in your training so instead....” she reached into the box and pulled out a beautiful yellow and white ball python.

I gasped with joy.

“Oh my gosh he is so pretty oh wow look at his coloring oh my goodness,” the words fell from my mouth faster than I could think of them.

Whitaker grinned. “He is yours.”

At this point I didn’t even know what to say I was so happy.

“I want you to make friends with him and to try to control him. If you simply will him to do things you will not be nearly as powerful as if you ask him to do them. Communication is key.”

“Thank you thank you thank you! Oh wow!” I exclaimed reaching out to hold him.

“Focus on his mind and tell me what you see,” she said trying to work around my excitement.

I looked into his eyes and narrowed my thoughts to exclusively him. After a moment I lurched back startled by how much he was thinking.

“What did you see?” She asked.

“A lot of thoughts, most of them were about food or warmth.”

“Anything else?”

“His name is Tapio”

“That’s good for the first time Olivia!” Whitaker praised me. “Continue to practice with him.”

“I will!” I promised placing Tapio back into his box.

I wondered how Kat would feel about having a snake.
Why do we capital-N Nerds love Mars so much?
Because it's beautiful, it's tough, it's buried in our mythic, childhood memories.
It's covered with human triumphs but also with sad stories of failure.

-Greg Bear

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:51 pm
Gravity says...

Nadia

"Ms. Whitaker?" I knocked on the door of the professor's cluttered office, pushing it ajar.

"Nadia, it's nice to see you," she said, pushing a few buttons on her laptop before closing the lid. "What can I help you with?"

I sat down in the chair across from her desk, looking out the window. The office was cramped, with her desk taking up most of the space. What little space was left was consumed by my chair and piles of books, papers, and the box.

"I'm struggling because the others, other than my brother, seem to be discovering their specialties fairly rapidly. Or they're at least able to practice little bits of the other forms of magic and-"

"-you haven't yet?" she asked, cutting me off. I shook my head and tugged my sleeve down, hiding a patch of scaly skin that had shown up a few days previously.

"Magic can manifest itself in several different ways," Ms. Whitaker said, "But I'm happy to let you have another try with the objects. Maybe now since there's not as much pressure you might have better luck."

Ms. Whitaker reached behind her desk and produced the box, placing them on the desktop one by one. "Which one do you want to try first?" Shakily, my hand reached for the orb. The glass was cool and smooth in my hands, not much bigger than a softball. I gazed into the glass, only seeing the blurred image of my hands on the other side. I exhaled, and then set it back on the desk.

The next object I reached for was the plant. I left the pot on the desk but stroked the stem and the waxy leaves, hoping it would grow. Or twitch. Or anything. Nothing happened. So I moved on to the ring. It was tiny, far too small to fit on my chubby fingers. Just like the orb, the ring did nothing. That was 3 objects down, 3 to go.

"You're doing fine," Ms. Whitaker encouraged, "Something will happen at some point. I promise." I nodded, feeling a little bit better with the encouragement, and picked up the journal. It was leatherbound, but gleaming as if it had just been polished. I flipped through the pages to see that every single one was blank. No luck.

I picked up the deck of cards and slid them from out of their container. They looked just like any standard deck, but the Joker seemed to be laughing at me. A lump formed in my throat as I held back tears, putting the cards back into their box and setting them back on the table. "It's useless," I said, swallowing hard, "The book chose wrong."

"The book never chooses incorrectly," Ms. Whitaker reminded me, "you still have one more object."

I picked up the wooden box and set it on my lap, examining the boards and the nails. It looked almost like an old-timey milk crate.

"I'm telling you, it's pointless," I said.

"It's not pointless, just focus,"

"I am!" I exclaimed.

"What?" Ms. Whitaker asked.

"You told me to focus," I said, this time a tear escaping and running down my cheek, "And I am. I'm trying my best, okay? I know I'm not as good as the others but I'm doing my best!"

"I didn't tell you to focus," Ms. Whitaker said quietly, "I didn't want to disrupt your concentration."

"Lovely!" I exclaimed, "So not only am I not good enough, I'm also insane."

"You're not insane," Ms. Whitaker said, with half a smile on her face, "I think you're a telepath,"

"I'm a telepath?"

You have psychic powers, she said, and I heard it loud and clear, but her lips weren't moving.

"I'm a telepath," I said, smiling to myself, my fingers clenching on the wood of the box. I had discovered my power. Finally.

Spoiler! :
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

15 Reviews

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:37 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Adam Hersch

A flash of light and I find myself in a room similar to that you'd find in a history textbook. A haze fills the room, unlike anything I’d ever seen before. It was as if a layer of clouded dust had preserved this moment in time. The white blinds shielded the view from outside, but even so, you could see the metal bars covering the windows. In a room like this, you wouldn't expect any way out, let alone the presence of a soft breeze.

Another flash of light and the room is suddenly sent into a world of motion. Outside the gaping door gossiping nurses and mumbling patients pass. Their words are inaudible from where I stand, but the breeze still sounds from the unopened window. I turn my head slowly to see a woman sitting up in her bed with her eyes glued to the floor. She is hardened and aged compared to the seemingly serene world around her. Apart from her breathing, I wouldn't be so certain that she was alive.

“How dare you come here?” She croaks out in some type of old Scandinavian accent. “12 years past...12 years Lucien.” She looks up at me and stares, but her gaze is empty. It is clear that she is not looking at me, but something beyond. I turn around but see nothing there.

“12 years since my daughter disappeared.” She continues. “And to this day, you still come sauntering around here like you own the place in search of some false evidence to prove that I was at fault or had something to do with it! How dare you!” She struggles with what I now see are restraints.

“Now calm yourself, sister.” I am suddenly taken aback by the voice that echoes from where I stand. It is not my own, but I feel it as if it were. “You and I both know we wouldn’t want things to get out of hand here now, would we? Do you recall the last time?”

“Go to hell.” She spits. “Just let me be, and let me wallow in my misery.”

“You see dear sister, I cannot allow you to do that. You see, your history in the realm of dark magic makes you an interesting case for the board to express interest in. You must be observed.”

“Enough to keep me locked up in this magicless nuthouse like some kind of crazy person? Believe me, brother I am not crazy, and you and I both know the darkness in me is something you still fear. But I continue to assure you that darkness is not evil, but it is power! And that is what scares you!” She struggles again and he chuckles.

“I am not here to gallivant in your personal destruction.” She glares. “10 wielder children have gone missing within the past two weeks. A case we haven’t seen in 10 years. A case we haven’t seen since you yourself performed it. In those 2 years after your daughter disappeared you began your fiendish endeavors to undo her existence by meddling with dark magic. Arabella was lost to your mistakes.” At the mention of this name the women's struggles become more fervent.

“Don’t you DARE say that name in front of me!” She hisses.

“Because of you, 12 children lost their lives in your foolish attempt to gain more power. Including your daughter!”

“To save my daughter! If I would have succeeded-”

“You killed your daughter!” He interrupts her crazed rambling. “My innocent niece!”

“SHUT UP!” She yells fighting the restraints violently. A black aura begins to surround her filling the room. “SHUT UP!”

---------------------------------

With a gasp, I quickly sit up sweat rushing down across my cheek. I pick up the copy of Uncle Silas that has been sprawled across my chest and throw it to the side I as I rub the sleep from my eyes.

The hell kind of dream was that? I really need to stop falling asleep reading this Victorian gothic shit. It’s the third time this week.

I look at my window and notice that it’s still raining besides the forecast saying it’d clear up by six. My phone dings to life and I pick it up looking at the familiar five messages from Connor.

Thursday night pizza dude!

Cribari’s?

Yo earth to Adam???

I’m dyyyyyyying

Well, looks like I’m gonna have to eat your stash of Milka chocolate bars for dinner now!

I quickly shoot him a text back telling him to meet me at Cribari’s in 20 minutes, and also that he is an idiot. Within 5 seconds my phone dings once again.

<3

I roll my eyes throwing my legs over the side of my bed and sliding on my sneakers. Thursday pizza night has been a tradition since we were freshman, and missing it would be like my grandma missing church. Unheard of.

--------------------------------------------------------------

20 minutes later and I’m running up to Cribari’s shielding my face from the rain with the edge of my hood. Shitty forecast. I head inside taking my usual place in front of Connor in the back right corner booth.

“Dude you look like you got hit by a truck.” He elaborates.

“Fell asleep, and I guess I just didn’t sleep well,” I explain.

“Again? At this point, next thing you know the walking dead are gonna be the theme of your way to impress the ladies.”

“Thanks, Connor,” I say throwing a wad of napkins at him.

“Don’t mention it, buddy.” She smiles cheesily throwing up the menu as a shield.

“The usual guys?” Joanna Cribari asks as she walks up to the table in her usual garb. She places two glasses of water in front of us. I always forget to ask if she gets nights off.

“Yup,” Connor confirms.

“Cool. Let’s just make sure we pay this week okay guys?” She scratches something down onto a piece of paper.

“What?” Connor dramatically places a hand on his chest. “I'm offended that you would think we’d do that more than 8 times.” She smiles grabbing the menus from our table and walks off.

“You know I always forget she’s sort of cute behind the ponytail and the greasy apron.”

“Why don’t you go for that then?” I ask, and Connor laughs a little too loudly for my taste.
“Cause Kady would kill me, and besides that girl has a lot of emotional baggage...Plus there is her ability to strangle me with a piece of metal if she wanted.” He explains with an exaggerated look of horror.

“I see.” I laugh taking a sip of water.

“Speaking of abilities. Has there been any sign of your specialty yet?” He asks.

“Not since the last time you asked me 5 hours ago.” I chuckle.

“Dude I’m serious. It’s been almost 2 months since this whole magic thing happened, and you have yet to show a specialty or a care that it hasn't happened.”

“Mrs. Whitaker says it takes time for some people and considering I’m keeping up with everybody else when it comes to new spells I’m not worried. I already know I can do magic. What would my specialty change about that?” Connor looks down.

“I don't know man, but all I can say is the minute mine...happened it was like this missing piece had suddenly been found. Yeah, we can do basic magic, but when I found my specialty it was like finding my reason as to why I was allowed to have magic.”

“Sappy much?” I joke, but Connor keeps his serious expression. “I’m okay alright. I’m sure it’s bound to come eventually.” I then notice Connor’s expression perk up as he notices something over my shoulder.

“Is that Kady?” He asks. I turn around just in time to make direct eye contact with her. She smiles and gives a slight wave, but continues her way up towards the counter. I can't help but watch after her as she goes up to talk to Joanna behind the counter.

“Dude the staring is a little creepy,” Connor mentions and I turn back towards him with a sigh. “You gotta thing for her or something?”

“It's complicated man. She’s really cool and all, and we’ve become pretty good friends because of classes and everything, but she seems really close with that James guy. Trying not to think too much of it.”

“Wow.”

“What?” I ask confused.

“Oh, nothing. Here comes pizza.” Just then Joanna rounds the corner and sets down the pizza, And just like always we begin to chow down completely cutting off any conversations. A part of me wants to turn around again but the ring of the door reminds me that I probably shouldn't.

Spoiler! :
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

267 Reviews

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:18 pm
Nike says...

Kadie Wilheim

Talking to Olivi--Olly made me realize that maybe I need to try to not overthink as much. And she may have made my hopes rise too high. But, I'm happy I had her to talk to. I always have Joanna, see is my bff... but it's nice to talk to someone with a different insight. It also nice to like click with my roommate, I mean, I have to live with her for a while and she seems awfully cool.

Joanna had hit me up to meet her at work cause I was done with classes for the day and... I had to talk to her about this thing too. I walked into Cribari's a few minutes ago only to meet eye-to-eye with Adam. Man, either I had to get over him or to at least cool my shit. My heart was racing so fast I thought it'd burst through my chest. Connor was with him with his usual smirk.

"Hey," I walked up to the sleek counter where Joanna was at. She had beads of sweat glistening on her forehead as she smiled at me.

"So, I can tell you spotted Adam." She rose an eyebrow.

Soft pop was playing through the speakers, subtly enough to tell what was playing but not enough to hear the words of the songs. There were pizza lined on the counter behind her, ready to be served and I hoped she wasn't the only waitress available.

"Was it the red in my cheeks or the shaking that I can't stop?"

Shaking her head, she place her little notepad down and leaned against the counter, getting closer to me.

"I heard them talking about you Kadie, I'd say... be careful. I don't know what his intentions are, but he seems to have an interest in you."

"An interest, great."

Rolling her eyes, she said. "Dude, go for it. What's holding you back? If anything it's just a fling and those are great too."

"I don't want a fling Jo," I sighed, trying to calm my heart. "I like him too much for that."

She pulled away from the counter after a ding came from behind her. The door behind her swung open with a guy about our age with a pizza in his hand, she took it from him and he disappeared back inside.

"That's their pizza, let's hope they pay. I gotta run hun. But," She softened her voice. "You're a little obsessed but it's okay, we all have that one."

It was my turn to roll my eyes with a laugh as she went around her counter and towards their table. Since she had to go back to her rounds, it was time for me to leave. Maybe I could hit up the library. Or maybe James was free?

As I turned from the counter, I saw Adam again, with Connor, chatting. They seemed to be in a conversation that I hope wasn't about me. Why would it be? Joanna placed their food on their table, and they tanked her with smiles. Man, Adam's smile though. Snap outta it Kadie. I slipped my headphones back in, ignoring the sift scents of melted cheese. I had to workout diet to stick to for one more week.

I walked passed their table, feeling some stares. That had to just be me hoping for his stare. Fuck me.

I swung the door open and felt the warm air touch my skin. I'm glad it was still some sort of warm out, I am not ready for winter. Well, with my powers, do I need to worry? I could just run real fast to classes... maybe... I could try now? Could I? Or was this some sort of Harry Potter thing with magic where I can't show it outside? Where else would I use it, we don't have a whole Wizarding world, we have a room. Or, do we?

EDM played to my liking as I walked back towards my car. It was this old Jeep Wrangler that stood across the stress, it's tan color glistening from the sun. Good thing I got it freshly cleaned. People walked around, minding their own business.

I was at a stop light when my hands started heating up. It was as if fire was planted in them, fuming away, but all I could see were sparks of light bounce off of them, very small ones like electric when you plug in your cord to the outlet. They flashed red and orange, causing my skin to crawl. What was happening? I was driving... I couldn't stop it, I couldn't drive with it.

My heart raced as I flicked on my hazards and pulled to the sides. I was greeted with horns from around me as cars sped past me.

"What the fuck?" I breathed, staring at my hands. "How, what?" I pulled them closer to my face, feeling a rush of adrenaline kick through my body, but ten times quicker than normal.

I needed air, maybe it'd calm. I couldn't just let this electricity over take me. I mean, why was it happening without me having done anything? I switched the car off carefully, slipping the keys into my pocket. But this happened quicker than I expected and I was already out the door, half a block down. I caught my breath as I looked around me, trying to see if anyone spotted me. No body seemed distracted by me, people just kept doing them.

"Oh my God." I gasped, taken way by myself. Maybe I could run around and no one would notice. I would be back to my car before anyone would know... and this may calm down the speed.

I started to run. Further and further still hopefully aware of where I was. Wind rushed around me, giving me to cool air I needed to push further. People and buildings seemed a blur as I raced around, feeling my heart calm. Though, my feet were burning. The velocity might be causing some traction on the ground. I slowed down, finally capable of controlling my power today. I started to jog slower and slower until the world seemed still around me. Man, I used to not be able to speed passed 80 MPH in a car cause it'd make me sick, and now I'm going I don't know how fast and I'm fine.

But, is this my only magical ability? Am I only able to just run fast? Everyone else can do so much to help the world. How can my running help anyone?

I stopped just before a lake front. The water was a pure blue, shining as the sun hit it. I caught sight of birds flying above the lake, away from land. I took a better look around and noticed I was not in Kansas anymore. This wasn't where I left my car, it was definitely more downtown area.

Could I GPS and run back to my car? Would I be able to see my phone as I ran? It might glitch though at how fast I'd be going. I took a few deep breaths, feeling that maybe I need to intense my exercise routine to keep up with this running.

Pulling out my phone, I decided that maybe I should call someone to help me. Who could I call? What time was it anywa--it was only a minute later. How do I explain to someone that I'm ten miles away a minute after I left? Joanna was still working and..

A text came up on my screen from Connor. Why did I have his number? Oh, magic thing, duh.

Hey, we spotted your car on the side of the road and you weren't in it. Are you okay?

The we made my heart race again, but I had wished Adam had texted me. Well, Connor was a way to him. Maybe he will be nicer to me? And we will be friends? And then Adam will fall madly in love with me? Jesus Kadie what the heck. I think Adam may be making my speed come up unexpectedly, I mean what else could it be? My heart races, I race.

I could tell him that I ran, he'd get it.

Connor, I am in downtown. And I don't know how to get back cause I'm shit with directions. Give the girl with no sense of direction the power to run faster than light xD

A beat later he replied, Call me and we will tell you how to get back. I'd pick you up, but it'd be quicker for you to run back homie.

267 Reviews

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:51 pm
Nike says...

Connor Puth

Joanna looked cute in her little uniform. Man this magic thing may lead me to be more serious about my dating life. Who could I date that would get my magic, other magic people duh. But, I don't think it'd be Joanna. Doesn't take away from how cute she looked.

"I'll pay today dude," I said to Adam in between amazingly savory bites, "You need this more than I do and I offered."

"Will you?" He rose an eyebrow, a piece of pizza in hand. "Or will you convince Joanna that you like her and that she is the most beautiful girl on campus?"

"I respect woman Adam," I scoffed. "I'd tell her she is the most intelligent girl on campus,"

He shook his head and went back to eating.

We paid for... I paid for our bill, Joanna was beyond happy with the smile she flashed when I handed her cash. We said our goodbyes, leaving behind the packed Carbari's. The smell of freshly melted mozzarella flooded the streets around us as we walked back to our separate cars.

"Hey, isn't that Kadie's car?" Adam asked from across the street.

I looked over to where he was pointing. And indeed, it was her car, standing just at the stop lights with the hazards flashing. Adam's eyes got wide as we walked over, avoiding the cars around us. More so, they stopped and honked at us as we went over. I looked in the drivers' window and saw just empty seats and he purse lying open in the back seat. My heart skipped a beat as I met eye to eye with Adam, and I'm sure he felt the same way. Is she okay? What happened?

"Dude, where is she?" Adam asked, tension flooded his voice.

I took out my phone and texted her. Maybe she was in a situation where she couldn't answer a call. What if she was kidnapped? What if she was in pain, somewhere, alone? This doesn't just happen.

She texted back, thankfully okay, in a way.

"She's in downtown." I looked up at Adam. He was leaning against her car, arms crossed.

"Downtown?" He rose both eyebrows. "How'd she get there so fast?"

I gave him a second to process, but he was still confused. "Super human speed Adam." He nodded his head, understanding now thankfully.

My phone rang a beat later, Kadie was on the other end.

"Tell me the streets around you." I said immediately when our lines linked.

"Uhh, Kedzie and Montrose?" She had to be a the lake with the sounds that were coming from her end of the line. Birds were chirping away and the lake was loud today, as the waves hit the shore, you could tell how intense it was just from her phone.

"Okay, run and talk to me. Head north."

"The fuck is north, just tell me do I go straight or?"

"Kadie, I don't what straight is for you."

"Ugh, right, sorry."

After a few minutes, I was able to grasp exactly where she was. And now we could talk and she could run. As I spoke, I couldn't even hear her that well, the wind was just to loud through the phone. Before I knew it, I felt a rush of wind blow past me, red sparks flew through the air as Kadie appeared, smiling from ear to ear. I looked over at Adam to see his reaction, oh my... his eyes were wide with so many emotions.

"What's the use of my power if I can only run fast like... and I don't even know where the hell I go." She grumbled.

I smiled, "Kat, it's real useful. Ever heard of The Flash? He saved the world so many times!"

Rolling her eyes, she said. "Yeah but I'm not a super hero Connor."

"You could be!"

"But like, that's all I do? You guys probably do some more epic things that can actually help people."

Adam shook his head, "You have the power of electricity Kadie, that is amazing. You can control something people use all the time."

"I only run Adam," Her cheeks were growing pink. Was it the running? Oh who am I kidding, it was the Adam.

"You don't know that. We just discovered our powers. You may be able to do more." He smiled, but it was a smile I knew was saved for her.

Man talking about being a third wheel.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:52 pm
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

James Clover

Two months since they found out they had magic.

Two months and even though James knew his specialty has something to do with psychic and physical magic...he had no idea what it actually did. Until that particular door finally opened for him, he was stuck learning just the basics.cal

Currently in his small studio apartment trying to control small gusts of wind in the palm of his hand. The more he tried to control it, the more out of control it became. Which only made him more frustrated. The small gusts began to spark and snap with fire which only fueled his anger even more. When the wind turned to fire he snuffed it out and stormed from his room. He needed some air.

Pulling on his coat he wandered about for a long while. It was getting late and places were starting to close. The wind turned chill and forced everyone home in its wake.

"You shouldn't let your temper get to you like that kid," the old man said appearing beside him.

"Oh great...life lessons from the ghost," James retorted. "Next thing you're gonna tell me is that everything will magically be better if I just stopped being negative."

"Maybe your outlook might brighten up," Henry chuckled.

Out of all the invisible people walking around, Henry was the one that kept coming back. Kept trying to communicate with him.

"Or maybe you and your little group should just shove off and disappear," James said trying to hurry. Somewhere in the back of his mind he contemplated if he was ever really able to outrun these people...whoever they were.

"I told you, kid. It doesn't work like that."

"Yeah? Well I don't care how it works! Just leave me alone!"

"Why do you waste your time with this guy?" the guy in the pin-striped suit said.

"Great. The mobster is back," James growled rubbing the bridge between his eyes. Not because of the noise, but in two months he recognized the pattern. James would get pissed at Henry. Then the suit showed up. Followed by that woman in red, who would bring that farm girl with her.

Walking through them he tried to make his way back home before a head of blonde hair caught his eye. He smiled as he rushed over to the middle age woman.

"Mom!" he said holding out his arms for warm greeting.

The woman looked to him a little startled before she returned the smile and hugged him back. "James! Oh, I wondered if we were going to see you around here," she said lovingly. "How are your studies?"

"Oh, they're good. Some interesting...fields of study have come up," he said. He couldn't tell her that he had somehow gotten magical powers from a book he borrowed from the library years ago. It was all too crazy, even if he could prove it. "So what are you doing at Mike's? I didn't think you liked bars."

As if the hands of fate were continuing to work against him, the next patron coming out of the bar was screaming insults and curses before taking another swig from his beer. A scratchy beard and a drunken shuffle announced another important person in James' life.

"Well, well, ell. What have we herrre?" he said in a slurred manner. "It's the little fuck up. You flunk out of shool yet? Come crawling back to a real job."

"I'm doing just fine," James said through his teeth. "I've already got some accelerated..."

"It's a fucking nonsense!" his father spat. "Just a way for people to weasel money out of you. Not that I would expect an idiot like you to know the difference."

"Hun let's just go," his mother said putting a hand on his father's arm. The drunk just turned and twisted her arm with it as his eyes fumed.

"Let her go!" James yelled reaching for where his mother was held at.

"And what are you gonna do about it?" his father said stepping into his face. So close he could smell the cheap beer on his breath as it wafted from his mouth. "You gonna be a man?"

For a long while, James stared his father down. His hands on the verge of called down a little fire to torch him on the spot. But he couldn't. Not cause it was his father. Not because of the rule to keep their magic hidden.

He was scared.

His hand trembled with fear as he fought to keep his eyes on the man in front of him. But the fear won out. Slowly, James lowered his gaze...admitting defeat before the fight had even started.

"That's what I thought," his father sneered. "You're nobody. You'll always be a nobody." A meaty hand slapped James across the cheek, a hit he took...just standing there.

"Let's go," his mother begged. "I'll...I'll do that thing you like when we get home."

"All you're good for anyways," his father said as they stumbled off.

James stood there, tears welling in his eyes as he watched them leave. Then his eyes caught the looks he was getting from the crowd that had been around him for over a month now.

"Don't give me those damn sorry eyes," he growled. "I don't need your pity."

Turning he headed off before he saw the two girls standing there.

It was Kadie and Joanna. Eyes wide with shock from having witnessed what had happened. Seeing James angry, frightened, and on the verge of crying.

"Great," he said, rolling his eyes as he shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket.

[b][/
b]

"That asshole was your father?!" Kadie cried in shock.

"Say it a little louder. I don't think the people across the courtyard heard you," James hissed.

"Sorry. I'm just...why didn't you do anything? I mean he hit you. I thought you were going to rip his head off."

"You wouldn't understand," James said marching toward his apartment.

"What wouldn't we understand?" Joanna asked harshly. "That he's a bully? That he takes out his frustrations on you and your mom?"

"He's always been that way. There is nothing I can do about it."

"You aren't a kid anymore. You could tear him a new one if you really wanted to."

"And then what, huh?" James snapped. "I'll tell you what will happen. I'll stand up to him. Make him realize that he can't hit me anymore. He can't stuff me in a pantry closet and leave me there for days. Let's say all that comes to pass just by me knocking his ass out. Then what? He'll go home and beat my mother ten times worse then before. He'll make sure that I never see her again."

"He can't keep you from your mother, James," Kadie said. "You and her are grown ups and are capable of making your own choices."

"Yeah sure, that could work. Until he calls his brother on the police force and has restraining order taken out on me," James glowered in angst and anger as he dropped down onto the steps outside his building. But deeper than that...there was pain. A pain that he hid from to keep from having to acknowledge that he was scared to death of what would happen if he actually tried to stand up. There was also the fear that his father was right...just a nobody.

"James...there has to be something better," Kadie sighted.

"There isn't. It's just how it is," James said as he saw those looks again. From Kadie and Joanna, as well as that damn crowd behind them. "No one asked you guys anyway. Just forget about it." Heading in he left them out there to get home by themselves. He didn't want to deal with it right now.

If he could...he would run from it forever.

15 Reviews

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:08 pm
HazelGrace16 says...

Joanna Cribari

Watching James walk away was like a punch to the gut. There was nothing Kadie or I could do to comfort him or help him, and that was the worst part. I go to take a step but Kadie grabs my arm.

“Let him go.” He rounds the corner leaving us alone on the sidewalk.

“How can you say that?” I turn to walk again, but her grip tightens.

“Let him go.” She looks at me, her expression serious. “Let’s head back to campus,” Kadie says turning to look away. I watch her eyes and realize her expression mimics mine. She’s known James longer, and she definitely knows him better. This is probably just as hard for her to watch if not worse.

“We have to do something.”

“What can we do? You heard James, we can’t call the police because of his uncle, and if we do anything and his dad links it back to us then he’ll take his mom away from him forever. He would never forgive us for that. He would never forgive himself.”

“I know. I just can’t sit back and watch the people I care about get hurt…” I nervously run my fingers through my hair. Behind us, the parking meter begins to creak loudly as its form morphs and twists. With a loud popping noise, quarters burst from the machine ringing against the floor.

“Joanna. You will have to deal with people hurting for the rest of your life. That’s life. It's brutal, unfair, and annoying as hell.” She grabs my shoulders. “But its also hopeful, and I’ll be a damn fool if I ever stop believing that karma is a bitch. Believe me, I am angry too because I know what it’s like to have a deadbeat dad. But, this is James’ battle, and all we can do is be there for him.” She sighs.

“Time will heal James because he is strong.” She promises. “Just like time healed you after Ben disappeared. Like time healed my mom.”

“I’m sorry.” I apologize. “I guess my emotions are out of whack and that heightens the activity of my magic…” I say turning back towards the parking meter. I twist my hand manipulating the parking meter to stand straight again. It’s clearly still destroyed, but now instead of looking like a monster almost ripped it in half, it looks like a simple car drove into it.

“Good enough.” Kadie laughs wrapping an arm around my shoulder. “Now let’s go watch some cheesy movies on Netflix.” I smile.

------------------------------------------------

“Again.” Mrs. Whitaker demands coming up behind me. In front of me on a table sits a thin slab of metal. I breathe in deeply trying to contain my frustration. A small bead of sweat runs down my cheek, and I brush it away with a sigh. “Focus Joanna. Now, separate the metal into pieces, form it into a shape, then return it back to the thin slab.”

“It just took me an hour to turn a solid sphere into the thin square slab,” I complain smoothing the loose hairs back into the ponytail away from my face.

“That’s exactly why you need to go again. It took you an hour Joanna.” She walks to the side of the table where the bag of metal spheres I have been working with the past few weeks sits. She picks one up and observes it’s reflective surface. “Most trials have taken you 25 minutes at most. You’re not focusing, and I want to know why.”

“Maybe it’s because I have 7 hours of school work a day. Plus 5 to 6 hours of work at the restaurant, not to mention the newfound magic practices which now take up 4 hours of my day.” I feel my cheeks get warm. “I haven’t gotten more than 4 hours of sleep a night in the past few weeks. It's like the world is going a million miles an hour past, and I have no control over it. I have no control over anything.” I slam my hand onto the table and the slab of metal bursts into shards of broken metal.

“So, you’re angry at the things you can’t control.” She picks up a piece of the metal and winces as the tip perfectly slices the edge of her finger. Before my brain can react with panic, Mrs. Whitaker is already healing herself. “Perfect for a battle, but not this particular battle.”

“I’m not angry I’m just- I’m just...”

“Angry?” She suggests with a smirk.

“Why the sudden psychoanalyzation?” I snap. “I’ve dealt with a busy schedule before, and I just don’t understand why it’s getting to me now.” I sigh falling into a chair.

“Might I suggest that it’s something else besides a busy schedule?” I look at her unsure what to say next, but my expression must say it all because she continues. “I want you to try again. Put the shards back together into the slab, create a form, then return it to the sphere. When you do that, I will let you go.” Around me some of the other students had already started packing up their stuff. Class was over, but both Mrs. Whitaker and I knew this was going to be a long night for me.

I stand and face the shards placing my hands in front of me. A simple flick of the wrist could send these shards flying in all directions, and based on what happened with Mrs. Whitaker, it would not be a pretty sight. As if sharing my thoughts Mrs. Whitaker placed a firm hand on my shoulder. I’m here, it seemed to say.

“You can do this. Put your thoughts away and focus. Think of the metal as a living organism. It has a heartbeat, a growth, and an intolerance to change.” I breathe in deeply lifting the shards into the air. “It is your job to manipulate that intolerance.”

I watch as the shards curl and form into the soft petals of a blooming rose. I smile at the form, and float it back to the ground. I turn to Mrs. Whitaker whose eyebrows are now raised.

“That's... a start. Now continue.” She smiles.

And so, I did.

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand