Young Writers Society

Pirates on the Lost Sea

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:55 pm
View Likes
Feltrix says...

Greetings, explorer!

If you have received this letter, it means that you have distinguished yourself as a soldier of fortune to me and to the world. I have an offer for you, an offer that will change the world as we know it.

You've all heard the stories of the Lost Sea. For centuries, or perhaps for millennium, it was the center of the the world's trade, a hub of art, or science, and of philosophy. Even after all this time, it is said that the technology designed in the city of Cyrax is far beyond what we have today. Anyone who found the Lost Sea would become famous and rich beyond anything they ever would have ever thought possible. But that's folly, of course. How many people have searched for the Lost Sea? Hundreds, perhaps thousands. None have found it. Few have even returned.

This will soon change. I have acquired a map; a map that shows a sea that is not found on any other chart. At first, I dismissed it as a hoax. How many valiant explorers have been lead astray by false maps made to divert competition? But I did research, investing a sizable sum into discerning its authenticity, and I am beyond convinced that this chart leads to the Lost Sea. I propose that you and a crew I of my choosing will sail to the Lost Sea and bring back as much of the technology as you can fit on your vessel. I will reward all of you handsomely. All I ask is that you wait for one year to make your discovery public so that I may study the artifacts away from prying eyes. Details of the arrangement are enclosed within this letter. If you accept my proposal, board the ship The Windracer on August 17, 1683.

Wishing you success in all your journeys!

An Anonymous Client

Basically, we are pirates. We sail ships. We steal. Sometimes we kill people. Right now, we've all been hired by a mysterious client that none of us have met to find the legendary Lost Sea and bring back ancient technology from Cyrax. You might have always been a pirate, maybe you were a normal sailor first, or maybe you were in the British navy. That doesn't matter anymore. We're all in the same boat now, so we're going to buckle some swashes, plunder some loot, and hopefully not get eaten by a kraken.

Character template:

Name:
Sexuality:
Part of the Windracer's original crew?:
Personality:
Physical Description:
Brief History:
Weapons:
Other:
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

61 Reviews

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:41 am
View Likes
Feltrix says...

Artemus Gale

Artemus stood at the prow of the Windracer, surveying the port at which they were docked. Three other galleys were docked here, each at least as large as Artemus's own. The docks were flooded with people, and beyond that, shops and houses stretched past the horizon. Almost all of the trade in the city came through this port, so shops clambered to get as close to it as they could. The abundance of people made it easy for Artemus and her crew to blend into the crowd of non-pirates, but it also made it easy for undercover law enforcement agents to get very close without being noticed. That shouldn't be a problem as Artemus had payed a substantial sum of money to the soldiers guarding the block to keep them from arresting the pirates, but it still made her uneasy. Besides, Artemus was always on edge when not at sea.

The captain surveyed her crew; each of them had sailed with her for years. She trusted them implicitly, and they her. The first mate, Arissa Smithson, shouted orders to the other thirty members of the crew. She was a good first mate, capable and strong willed, even if she was too ambitious and could be a bit arrogant. She was pushing the crew harder than usual today, no doubt because of the shift in power that was coming today. When Alyssa had been informed that this newcomer, Alexander Rakham was to be the temporary first mate, she had said nothing, but her face contorted with anger and she had left Artemus's quarters immediately, slamming the door behind her. Nearby, Erik Hel Raven stood by the gang plank, barring the passage of any who would enter. He had been a member of the crew longer than Artemus, and Artemus had been on this ship for eight years. At first, she hadn't trusted Raven, but she grew used to him. On occasion, she would talk to him, confiding her doubts in him, knowing that he would never speak of what she told him or speak of anything else, for that matter. This was a good crew, and they were all about to embark on perhaps the most dangerous journey attempted in the last fifty years. Artemus couldn't think of anyone she would rather have with her.

As Artemus watched the crowd, a man detached himself from the crowd and made his way towards the Windracer. His dark hair obscured some of his face and his long coat swished behind him. Artemus strode up to the gang plank in case the newcomer was one of to be a member of the crew. If he wasn't he wouldn't make it past the Raven.

The man walked up to the gang plank, but Raven moved to block his path. The man did not seem intimidated by Raven's impressive stature, instead looking him up and down, drinking in his appearance.

"Ah, you must be Erik Hel Raven," he said in a smooth, aristocratic voice. He extended a hand. "My name is Alexander Rakham." Raven made no move to accept the hand, so Rakham dropped it. "Of course. You don't talk. Well, here's the letter proving that I was hired by an anonymous patron to sail to the Lost Sea. May I board the ship now?" Raven examined the letter for a moment before stepping aside to let the man on.

Artemus extended a hand to the newcomer. "Captain Artemus Gale," she said, attempting to sound friendly. She had never met Rakham, but new his reputation. He was dangerous, cunning, and untrustworthy. Not someone she would sail with by choice.

The new crew member shook her hand. "Alexander Rakham," he said.

"Come with me," she said, gesturing two her quarters. "Smithson, you as well."

The trio entered the captain's quarters. They weren't very large, but bigger than those of the crew. A table stood in the center of the room overflowing with maps and charts. Many had been brushed aside to make room for a yellowed peach of parchment with the location of a small, inland sea sketched onto it. The map to the Lost Sea.

"Alyssa Smithson, this is Alexander Rakham," Artemus said. "Rakham, this is the first mate." Rakham offered a handshake, and Alyssa restrained herself from stabbing the hand, which was more than Artemus had expected. "You both know that the letter specified that Rakham is the first mate for the duration of the voyage. I want this to be a peaceful transfer of power, so I'm coming to both of you first. Alyssa, I know this isn't what you want, but it's a temporary change and the decision is quite honestly out of my hands. This is what we're being payed for. So, can the two of you let this happen without killing each other?"

Alyssa gave a stiff nod. "I'll do my best, but if you start showing off, Rakham, then I may have to go back on that."

"Of course," Rakham said. "I'm quite honestly baffled myself as to why our sponsor wants me in this position.

"Alright," Artemus said. "In that case, you're both dismissed." The two left her quarters without another word.

Artemus looked out the window of her quarters. That was one of the perks of being captain: she had the only quarters with windows. The sea heaved below the ship, dark and fathomless even in the port. Artemus longed to be gone, sailing to places no one had been before. And soon, she would be. The Windracer set sail the next day. The journey to the Lost Sea was about to begin.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Brief Castaway
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:15 pm
View Likes
ajruby12 says...

Gavi Marie Nichols & Kaiser Mason

The late afternoon wind whished past a tall, sturdy figure, whipping his worn gray overcoat this way and that rather haphazardly. Kaiser Mason's warm eyes were squinted in the cool breeze, a piece of paper clasped protectively in one hand, and his other resting on a short knife. He didn't trust pirates in a new place, knowing first-hand their barbarous nature, and the sea port was full of them.

Thankfully, his relatively normal build and plain clothes lent him little scrutiny as he made his way towards the harbor, but an approaching group worried him. There were about four pirates in the group, and they all had their eyes fixated on him, specifically the letter in his hands.

One of them nudged the man beside him, who seemed to be the leader of the four, whispering in his ear, and they both split into crooked, gold-toothed grins. Kaiser gulped slightly, his muscles tensing as he prepared to defend the prized document.

“Ayy, lookit that, a poor cabin boy! You fellows don't want ta mess with him. 'e's just a crew man, nothing special.” A woman stepped out beside the pirates, slinging her arm casually around the leader's neck, a dagger clenched in her hand.

She winked at him as she continued,
“You'd all best run along and find someone else to harass. That boy there belongs to me, and 'e has a ship to catch. Scootch your behinds, or I'll scootch them for you.” she said, her grip tightening around the leader's neck.

With ugly glares cast all around among the four, they moved on, the leader spitting on the ground in front of the woman. The pirates disappeared around the corner of a tavern.

“Well, Kai, you do have a knack for attracting attention.” the woman said, sheathing her dagger and brushing back a lock of hair from her face. Kai's muscles had finally relaxed, and he smiled slightly.

“Good to see you again, Gavi… I assume you got a letter as well.”
“Aye, sweetheart, I did. Sorry for calling you not special. Your cookin' is better than any grub slinger I've ever met.” she said, grabbing a hold of his overcoat as she pulled him towards the ship.
“C'mon, get a move on. We've got to get to the Windracer before night falls.”

The walk down to the harbor lasted a good half hour and the two caught up on their last few months apart. Kaiser's strong frame seemed to tower over Gavi's relatively short height, but there really was no doubt who was the fiercer of the two. Kaiser noticed a brand new pistol in Gavi's belt.

“How much did that thing cost you?” he asked, pulling it out to inspect it. Gavi gnawed on her finger for a moment as she thought.
“Mmm, didn't cost me a thing, except a little time and a couple bruise on my knuckles. Some loudmouth was bragging about 'is new gun at a tavern a week or so back. He then tried to flirt with me. Have to say, it was my mistake for being nice to him in the first place. He went way off the deep end after that, so I broke his nose and took the pistol. It's a nice gun too, one that 'e didn't deserve.” Kaiser handed the pistol back to her, unable to hide a smile.

“You were born for pirating, mate.” he said, and Gavi only smirked back. She stopped short and nudged him, pointing towards where the Windracer was docked, at this point only occupied by a scattering of crew members.
“There she is, Kai. Aye, and ain't she a beautiful ship?”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple hours later, Gavi and Kaiser were on board the Windracer. Kaiser stayed back, still very hesitant about the new ship, particularly its crew, but Gavi was enthralled, pacing the deck and soaking in every detail she could about the ship with muttered coos and praises about its design.

“Lookit the way that mast is set… No ordinary storm is gonna shake that one. Aye, and the sails… Gaww, so lovely.” Kaiser's hand nudged her shoulder.
“Someone's coming, Gav.”

Captain Gale approached the two newcomers, her eyes sweeping over them.
“Who are you two?”

“Gavi Marie Nichols, former ship's lookout and scout… Artemus Gale, I assume? Pleasure to meet you.” Gavi extended a hand, which Artemus swiftly examined before shaking.

Artemus then turned to Kaiser, whose light brown eyes slowly raised up to hers. He cleared his throat, his deep voice shaking just slightly as he extended his hand.
“Um, Kaiser Mason… I'm a cook.” Artemus shook his hand, a concealed smile on her youthful face.

“Welcome aboard the Windracer, both of you. Settle into your bunks below deck and get familiar with the ship. I hope you're as good a cook as your mate says, Kaiser.” Artemus said, her fang earring swaying in the breeze as she turned and strode back across deck.

“I didn't know she was that young.” Kaiser said as he and Gavi walked towards the crews' quarters. Gavi nodded.
“Aye, she took over as captain after her father died. I met her father once before. Good captain, but he had his own sets of problems. Hope she doesn't have the same issues.”

After claiming bunks and storing their luggage, Gavi emerged on deck. Kaiser slipped off to the galley, hoping to avoid any confrontations with other crew members. Gavi laid a hand on the ship's mast, brushing the wood with her fingers.

“How far will we be traveling together, mate?” she spoke softly, her mind flashing back to reading the summons.

Traveling to the Lost Sea… What kinds of things await us there?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." - Ray Bradbury

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:25 am
View Likes
KiraThePotatoChip says...

Erik Hel Raven

In the last 12 hours, Erik had been in a total of 20 fights, 5 of which took place in a bar, 10 of which while watching over the Windracer, and the remaining five were silent arguments between him and the other crew members. Erik shook his head. Bloody fools they all were. Another fight was on the way. A drunkard had stumbled his way to the port and was already harassing several women. Erik pulled his gloves tighter around his hands, knowing full well what was going to happen next.

"It'sa pretty boat ye have thar..." slurred out the drunk, stumbling near the ramp. Erik glared him down through the holes in his mask. "You, yeah... hic, you shoul lemme aboard, tis such a pretty li'l boat." mumbled the man, swaying closer to the ship. Erik shifted his body to block the man.

"Yer a funny un. You mute er somethin?" stumbled the drunkard, stepping closer to Erik. He reeked of booze and a pigpen. "C'mon, lemme see te pretty boat, I don't want te hurt ye," grumbled the man, getting more agitated. When he had enough of Erik blocking the way he haphazardly threw the bottle of spirit at Eriks head, shattering it and trying to rush forward. Unfazed, Erik swung his arm around the man and picked him up by the rim of his dirty shirt. With his free hand he pointed back to the main town and shoved the man down the ramp.

Truly it was hard to deal with such people, thought Erik as the man slunk back into the crowd. Two had yet to arrive, and Erik suspected they would take quite some time to do so. Nikolai Morgan and Jason Mcgaver. The crew would sure be interesting as always. As with all other Ravens, Erik would follow nearly any order from the captain of their respective ship, but they were also observers. Both Rakham and Smithson would be interesting characters to watch over.

Erik turned over his duty of barring passage to the ship to a nearby crewmate for a few minutes. He needed a drink. Erik headed below deck, hearing many conversations. Despite being smaller compared to some of the navies Man o' Wars and Galleons, the Windracer had plenty of room on the inside. One of the previous captains even had a bar constructed inside the ship itself, which was where Erik spent a lot of time off duty.

Erik grabbed a relatively clean glass and a bottle of rum. Ah yes, rum, the pirating staple of alcohol. He poured himself a glass, returning the bottle. While some of the crew might prefer to drink straight from the bottle, Erik tended to be a little more... civilized, if one can even describe a pirate as such. Taking a swig of the drink, which even I don't know how he managed, with the mask and all, Erik noted a new face appearing belowdeck. Looks like he had missed the appearance of Jason Mcgaver above deck. Erik set his glass down regretfully. There seemed to never be a good time for a drink.

Erik ascended into the dusk-lit deck of the Windracer, retaking his spot at the boarding ramp. With all the new crew it would take a while to situate the sleeping conditions. Ironically Erik would probably sleep in the "Crows Nest" for the time being due to his larger stature. Though, no one really even knew if he slept, which might explain why the crew was for the most part never caught unprepared for a battle.

Erik reminisced on times long past. Most were sour moments that stood out, but every now and then moments of happiness and joy stood out. Oh that Captain Gale, she was such a fiery spirit even while she was younger. The family that he towered over, whose children loved him dearly, especially for use in any games. Erik shook himself out of his flashbacks. There approached the last of the crew, the ever shining gem of a pirate, Nikolai Morgan. He extended his hand to accept the letter given to all potential crew members.

"What're you s'posed to be, the resident loony?" asked Nikolai. Erik simply stepped aside to let him pass, hoisting the boarding deck back unto the ship, cutting off access to the Windracer. The past was simple, but the future, now that was always unpredictable. Erik rested his hand on the pommel of his standard cutlass as he descended once again belowdecks. Tables had already been assembled for the "feast" before the journey started. Erik went back to the bar, retrieving his drink. He took another sip, leaning his back against the support beam near him.

"So, Raven, what'ya make of the lot of these cursed fools?" asked Captain Artemus from behind Erik. He made a slight shrugging motion before turning around to gaze upon the assembled crew. Much was to be taken note of throughout this journey, Erik would not want to waste it elsewhere. He finished his drink, taking his seat at the assembled tables. For a man who couldn't, or perhaps wouldn't speak, Erik was extremaly sociable... as long as you're drunk enough that is.
Bisexual Disaster, Master Stroke of a human being, may or may not incite a revolution.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:49 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Nikolai Morgan

It was near dark as Morgan boarded The Windracer, brushing past the towering giant of a man with his strange, ivory mask. Now Morgan had seen many a queer thing on these oceans blue and Captains liked to keep fierce looking guard dogs, but this one seemed a power unto himself. The not speaking thing was a bit gimmicky though.

"Where now, bucko?" Nikolai asked as he looked around the deck. Not many hands on hand so they were probably all below. The big man pointed at the stairs in confirmation.

Morgan strode down them quickly, one hand resting on the hilt of his cutlass, just in case. He found himself directed by a series of nudges to a large room filled with tables where the start of a party was underway. His dark eyes roamed the room and he'd almost decided the captain wasn't present when he finally located the red haired gal upon who's head sat the tell-tale hat.

"Well then, hold there, lass," Nikolai called as he swanned on over. "I suppose it's ye I 'ave to present my credentials to?"

Morgan held out the letter and gave her a long look up and down; women captains were rare enough but a child woman captain sailing them to the Lost Sea? Aye, you'd 'ave to be 'alf mad to get on this ship.

"Captain Artemus Gale and I'll give ye a second chance to show me the proper respect. Why don't you start by telling me what name needs to go on your gravestone?"

The room fell a little quieter and heads turned to see what all the commotion was. Morgan's free hand still rested on his cutlass while the other gripped the bag slung over his shoulder.

"Apologies, Captain," Morgan's voice was a drawl and not a particularly sincere one. "The name's Nikolai Morgan but just Morgan's fine and I'd wager whoever ye get to do it would spell that wrong too."

"I should kill you for such signs of disrespect."

The captain edged closer and Morgan felt a small thrill of excitement. Perhaps they'd fight. Perhaps he'd die. Perhaps he'd get away and head back to hid old ship afterall but he didn't think so. Someone had asked him here for a reason and a little bandying of words between pirates was almost like shaking hands for the gentle-folk.

"Many men have tried."

"And women?"

Morgan let the silence hang for a moment and then smiled with the corners of his mouth. "Aye, some women too."

The captain gave a ghost of a smile back and then nodded and Morgan dipped a mock bow before steering himself over to the bar. He pulled a skin out from his shirt and handed it to the pirate dishing out the drinks.

"Fill 'er up. Where I can see, mind."

The big man from before was at the bar and up close, Nikolai couldn't help but notice he had pretty eyes. They were sunk so far back in the mask that they looked darker than they probably were - dark and stormy like the clouds.

"A suspicious one aren't ye?" An unfamiliar voice asked from behind.

Nikolai shurgged. When people got to hearing you were immortal, they always wanted to test the theory out. He'd spent one week throwing his stomach up so much he was sure it had turned inside out and he didn't want to repeat the experience. "If someone's going to kill me, it ought to be with a blade, that's all," he explained.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:15 pm
View Likes
ThemagicalEbonyFox says...

Jason McGaver

"Get out you scoundrel!" Esmeralda yelled as Jason jumped down from the bar. He grinned to himself. Being kicked out of three pubs in one evening had to be a new record. His tongue still burned from the bottle of whiskey he had just finished. He sighed, feeling disappointed. He would have liked to enjoy another few glasses before he'd been chucked out. Still, he knew Esmeralda would welcome him back again with open arms. He was, of course, her best customer.

As the sun began to set, Jason swaggered wearily along the docks. The town had already been engulfed in darkness, and the sleepy citizens had started to lock their for the night. Not that it would make them any safer, of course. Bandits were common in these parts.

Once he was aboard the ship he immediately headed below deck. He wasn't bothered about introductions; he'd have plenty of time to talk in the morning. After he'd reached the hull of the ship, he found a collection of empty barrels that had once contained gunpowder. He laid one on its side and positioned himself up against it. It's not the worst place I've slept in , he thought to himself. At least it's dry.
As he took a swig from his bottle he heard a muffled bark coming from one of the barrels."Is that you Sasha?" he grumbled. The little white dog poked its head out from the barrel and started licking Jason's ears. "Cut it out you mangy mutt." he chuckled. He had come across the dog in an alleyway, and it had been following him ever since. As the wind blew against the side of the boat, Sasha curled up on his lap, lying there like a warm fluffy blanket. Jason smiled at her, placed his bottle down and drifted off to sleep. It had, undoubtedly, been a very long day.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:07 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Former First Mate
Alyssa Smithson

Midnight. The deck was deserted, save for Raven up above, in the crow’s nest. Former First Mate Alyssa Smithson would have no trouble crossing the deck under the cover of night, completely avoiding his mostly acute eye. Of course, her guns were on her, as they always were. She’d never travel somewhere without them. If someone did spot her and get a little too much information, then a gunpoint should scare them into silence. Staying to the edges, away from any lanterns, she made her to the other end of the ship, where the hatch allowed her to drop into the hallway which connected all new recruits’ quarters, Alexander Rakam included.

She smiled as she looked down onto the trapdoor, holding her revolver. She slowly dragged the lock back, hearing it snap into place. It had one shot—she hadn’t bothered to reload it, and was well confident more bullets wouldn’t be necessary. The hatch was rusty, so Lyssa took great care in pulling it open so that no noise would come out. Her maneuver was unsuccessful, as it squeaked loudly upon opening. Anxiously, Lyssa looked around the deck, thankfully seeing no one around, and confidently knowing that Raven would have heard nothing from his perch. She turned back to the door, surprised to hear a voice from in front.

“G’ d’evening, Lyssa. Going somewhere?” Lyssa instinctively pointed her revolver at the the figure standing before her, who was…

“Ah, Captain Artemus.” She fluently switched from anxious fear to relaxed lying, something she was considerably skilled at. “I was going t’ check the new recruit quarters, to ensure all’s well.”

“With a revolver?”

“Y’ can’t be sure there ain’t gonna be something violent down there. After all, I’m checkin’ for, I dunno, assassins.”

“You speak as though the danger comes from within.”

Lyssa smirked. “Maybe it does.”

“Well, I’ll leave ya to it, G’ d’evening, Lyssa,” Captain Artemus said, turning and heading for the captain’s quarters. “And remember our agreement. I’ve got me some strict policies on this ol’ piece of driftwood, and I really don’t want to have to enforce ‘em.” She was consumed by the darkness of night, and the dimly lit captain’s quarters.

When she had entirely left, Lyssa pulled the door shut and cursed to herself. Now that Artemus had seen her, then the predetermined alibi wouldn’t hold up. She couldn’t lie her out of suspicion if the assassination were to be successful, so there was no point in trying. And now that Artemus was suspicious, an assassination could never realistically. Lyssa turned and headed back to the First Mate’s quarters, which would not be hers much longer. Unless Lyssa’s plan B worked. Unless the “accident” would take a victim, or maybe two, if needed.

Lyssa just couldn’t resist smiling.

61 Reviews

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:48 pm
Feltrix says...

Artemus Gale

It was time. All of the new crew members arrived, and Artemus had to admit that she didn't trust most of them, but it had been specified in the letter. It was time to set sail for the Lost Sea.

"Alright, you scurvy maggots! Ready the ship!" she shouted.

Alexander Rakham relayed the orders to the crew, barking instructions while still managing to stay calm and composed. Even if they weren't trustworthy, Artemus had to admit that the new crew members were good at what they did. The ship was sailing in record time.

Artemus grinned. She always got a thrill when embarking on a journey, but now she was sailing to the Lost Sea. If she found it, her name would be remembered as the most intrepid explorer of the century. Not to mention the money she and her crew would receive from the mysterious sponsor.

Artemus's smile faded. This was also the most dangerous assignment she would ever go on. Hundreds, maybe thousands, had embarked on this mission. Few had returned, none successfully. And why had the person hired them to do this? The person was obviously rich and probably of a high political status, so why was the person consorting with pirates? And how had that person come by the map? Was it even accurate? Artemus sighed. There was no way she could answer any of those questions. Best not to dwell on them, then.

As the ship slid through the water, a tiny vessel floating on a vast blue expanse, Artemus's eyes fixed on the horizon. The journey had just begun. Infinite possibility lay ahead.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Brief Castaway
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief