The Skyriders of R'lyr

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:50 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

The Skyriders of R'lyr

In the mountains of Farryn there is a city deep in the valley, unknown to the rest of the world. They flourish, living off of the food they hunt and gather, with few farms in the rocky landscape. This city, called R'lyr, is a place of legend. Why? Because they, the R'lyrans, are the only humans to learn how to tame and ride the beasts from myth: dragons, gryphons, and rocs.

The relationship started simply because the humans wished to learn how to deal with the draconic and avian threats that dwelled in the mountains when the settlers first came. Then, they learned how to live in complete peace: they would leave food for the monsters and, in return, they would be left alone.

Soon, though, a man - or perhaps a woman, who they were has been long lost to tales of old - found that a relationship beyond simple peace could be developed with rocs. He found a lone chick who's parents had abandoned it or somehow been hurt or killed and raised it. Eventually, he learned to ride the beast and teach it to hunt and fly. When he released it, it never left: it simply returned.

With this new art, the Skyriders were formed. They are the wardens of the mountains, the keepers of ancient secrets, guardians of the people, and protectors of the law.

The Beasts

All mounts share a telepathic link with their rider that allows them to communicate (through words as well as sensing each other's emotions) or 'phase', the ability to see through their bond's eyes (this goes both ways: the mount can see as the rider or the rider can see as the mount). However, despite these advantages, they also share physical pain.

The armour/equipment of the rider and mount are both magicked or made of dragon scales so that they can withstand the breath weapons of enemy riders or dragons of all types.

Dragons

Dragons are four-legged wyrms with wings. They may be feathered or scaled, and come in a variety of colors. Females are larger than males, as with birds of prey. Most have a unique breath weapon. Dragons, though not as aerial as their more avian allies, can not only use their breath but also can manipulate objects in their forepaws when sitting on their haunches, something that neither gryphons nor rocs can do. They continue growing throughout their lives: the older the dragon, the more powerful and larger.

All dragons are immune to damage of their own element, with the exception of the breath weapon of a dragon of their same type. They will take damage from that, but what it would be normally; basically, their immunity cancels the buffs that the breath has. So if a fire dragon gets hit with fire dragon breath, it gets burned, but it doesn't get melted or die.

Green dragons are the only ones without a breath weapon: instead, they may speak to animals and have superior camouflage to all other types with the exception of the black dragon.

Red dragons are, of course, fire dragons. They have a fire breath weapon that is so hot it can melt metal. They are immune to all fire and lava.

Blue dragons are, unsurprisingly, water. They have webbed feet and instead of spikes they have fins; their wings are long and broad, making them adept soarers. They have water breath with the pressure of a geyser. I'm sure you can work out the affects of that. They can hold their breath for a few hours at a time.

White dragons are air. They are usually feathered and are the most aerial of the dragons, rivaling that of the rocs. Their breath weapon is a howling gale that can knock down trees in some of the older specimens.

Gold dragons are light. They have a breath weapon that blinds their enemies and can render them unconscious, depending on the age of the dragon and the power level of their adversaries. Instead of getting blinded by an enemy dragon's light breath, they simply are disoriented and their sight is damaged for a short period of time.

Black dragons are shadow. Instead of a breath weapon, they spit acidic venom and have a venomous bite; this range is much more limited than that of a normal dragon and much more limited in duration and quantity. To compensate, they can go invisible in shadows. Light breath near or on them will cancel this. They are immune to the affects of other black dragons' venom when bitten, but the acid will eat away at their scales, albeit more slowly and with a less devastating effect than with other types.

Brilliant white-blue is lightning. They breath an electric cone with the same power as lightning.

Some concept art:

Spoiler! :

Rocs

Rocs vary greatly, from the huge eagles to the tiny kestrels. They can be based off of any raptor (not owls). Their abilities are based off of that of their base bird. Thus, a Peregrine Falcon will be fast and maneuverable; a Golden Eagle one will be huge and strong.

They are all resistant to any air elemental damage, and are the most aerial of either gryphons or dragons, even if their species is not particularly aerial: thus, an eagle roc, though not as aerial as a falcon one, would be more aerial than most dragons and just as aerial as air dragons. Proportionally, they have larger feet and claws than dragons.

They, however, have an ability unique only to them: each Skyrider with a roc is given a gem that is worn as a ring; the hawk has it as an anklet. The gem allows the roc to change between it's gargantuan form and the size normal for its species.

Like dragons, they continue growing throughout their life. Females are larger than males.

Concept art:
Spoiler! :
ImageImage

Gryphons

Gryphons are the smallest, getting about 10 feet tall at the withers when fully grown. They can be any mix of raptor (again, not owl) and big cat. Again, their abilities and personalities (solitary or pride hunters) will depend on what species are mixed.

All gryphons can see through illusions and detect lies, and can climb and maneuver on the ground more easily than the other two due to their smaller size and four legs.

Some concept art:
Spoiler! :

The Skyriders

The Skyriders take an oath to protect the people above all else; secondary to that, they uphold the law and make sure everyone - from serfs to royalty - has a voice.

As mentioned before, they have a telepathic bond with their mount. They raised their mount from an egg, with the exception of some older beasts that lost their rider and are willing to take on a younger one, almost as their mentor. They are called 'bonds', and will die for one another.

You are all part of the same platoon, and your captain is Alkira Aquila.

The CP for the Skyriders:

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Romance?[/b]
[b]Bond:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Strengths:[/b]
[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
[b]Backstory:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

CP for their mounts:

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Species:[/b]
[b]Element (if dragon); Base Species (if roc or gryphon):[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Romance?[/b]
[b]Bond:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Strengths:[/b]
[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
[b]Backstory:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

Bonds

Alkira Aquila - Daegmund (@Falconrygirl9086)
Caryx Snaretwister - Jadritite (@Feltrix)
Alessa - Angel (@CurseofK4)
Haegor Rathlam - Frella (@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX)
Reiz - Nysn (@ChieRynn)
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:35 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Captain Alkira Aquila

We twisted into a dive, speeding towards the ground. The wind whipped at my face, my brown hair blown back by the air. Daegmund raced headfirst at the earth with a screech, daring the sky to defy her and commanding the earth to shake at her call.

Her wings - no, our wings - spread open, fanning out as my bond caught us mid-fall, mere yards above the long grass. Banking, she circled upwards, golden feathers shining in the sun as though they were on fire.

I whooped with delight, laughing as the ground shrank rapidly beneath us.

I do believe your lack of wings was a mistake, fledgling, Daegmund informed me as she beat her wings.

I don't disagree, I chuckled in reply. Flying was my favorite thing to do - the wind in my face, the power of commanding the air, a mistress of the sky!

Perhaps one day that can be fixed. She may have only been a roc, but she was quite a religious one. She spoke of the Skymasters who watched over us; she spoke of fate and even an afterlife.

It already was the day we were bound, Dae.

She banked and turned back towards the Eyrie: home. The city of R'lyr was quite the sight from so high up: stone and marble spires reached towards the stars, connected by sturdy and thick walls. The red-shingled roofs made a mural below us, intertwined with cobblestone streets and flags of the Guard. There were other Skyriders, too, on gryphons and dragons and rocs of all shapes and sizes.

Dae turned into a shallow stoop, breaking out of it above the houses. Civilians at their work - trading, crafting, fetching, carrying - stopped to look up at the sight of the majestic roc, larger than almost any other, flying so close. I waved and whooped; they smiled and returned the wave, wishing me luck and a good day.

We landed at the Eyrie, where all the Skyriders' mounts rested and lived and stayed. A lot of us ground-walkers stayed there, too, with our bonds. Dae landed in the huge doorway of the place on the top story, ruffling her feathers and shaking off as she hit the ground and folded her wings.

I dropped off her back and took off her saddle. Unlike traditional mounts such as horses, they didn't require a bridle. Because of our telepathic link, we simply felt one another's thoughts and worked as a team. The roc didn't serve the rider, nor the rider the roc: partners and companions, we were one.

I slipped on my glove as the gem around her ankle and my ring glowed. Her size shifted and shrank until she was the size of a normal Golden Eagle - which was plenty large - as she leaped to my upraised fist.

We headed down the winding stairs to the training yard. Katako and Saph were saddling up for a flight and Angel and Alessa were taking a water break and chatting in gryphon.

"Angel! Alessa!" I barked. "What are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm just explaining to Angel the ramifications of the overdoses of rook." Rook - pronounced 'ruke' - was the most common healing herb in the area.

"Yes, well, get your butt up and start training. Tell Angel about the ramifications of the overdoses of rook when it's not time to be working. Up."

"Well, considering I'm the group medic, and she helps, it's kind of important for her to know," she retorted.

I just looked at her with that steady, cold golden gaze of mine for several seconds. "Want to talk to me like that again? Need I remind you I'm your commanding officer?" I was usually pretty nice and not bossy to my squadron, but I wouldn't put up with such sass.

"Sorry," she said in the most deadpan voice possible."I'm still trying to get the tone thing down."

"Saddle up your gryphon, we're going to do some combat training." I turned to Katako and Saph. "Go find the rest of the squadron. We've got some sparring to do."
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:34 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Haegor & Frella

The wind howled in his ears as is sped passed. The warm sun on his face and the comforting embrace of the freedom he felt. He loved the feeling of it. There was nothing like flying...especially with your bond.

Looking down to Frella's sharp eyes he smiled as she enjoyed the expression on his face. He could practically see her smiling at him. Well, as much as a giant peregrine falcon could smile.

Looking out to the horizon that stretched out in all directions, he couldn't help but be in awe of it every time he saw it.

I wish we could stay up here forever, he thought to Frella.

Yeah...but until you can fly with me on your back, I think we will be stuck taking breaks. she responded. Are we doing this or what? If we don't hurry we're gonna be late again.

Since when have you been worried about that?

I'm not...but there were threats of you being chained up the next time you were late.

Haegor rolled his eyes before pressing himself closer to Frella's back. She tucked her wings in and began a sharp stoop. The wind going from a howl to a deafening roar as they suddenly banked up and began maneuvering through the stone pillars near the hills.

They were in perfect unison.

Rider and mount of one mind and body as they steered through the dangerous course. The thrill that each felt was strengthened by the other as they shot through the last gap and into the open fields. Frella looping toward the sky as they celebrated.

You were great Frella! Haegor called. A perfect flight!

Only a perfect flight due to the rider, Frella remarked. The pair gave a gentle nuzzle together as they slowed down a little.

"If you spent as much time sparring as you did flying you could quickly become a high rank within the Riders," Alkira said coming along side them.

Oops. Busted, Frella commented.

"How many times is it now Haegor?" Alkira began with a stern glare. "Nine in the passed month that you have snuck out without permission?"

Haegor sighed. "Just can't help myself. I'm not at home unless I'm flying."

Frella looked back to Haegor. She knew that it was partly her fault that he kept getting in trouble for sneaking out. Flying was in their blood, and it was difficult to ignore the call of the winds.

"Tell you what," Alkira said with a smirk. "You get into line before I manage to make it back, and I'll forget about your little....escapade."

Even Daegmund gave her a glance at that. Haegor could hear Frella chuckling in his head. He gave a wide grin as he nodded. Pulling in close the two dove, accelerating again before pulling up and coming to a short stop to land.

Haegor's hair was completely wind swept and a bright smile on his face. Haegor brought out the silver ring with the dark garnet gem in it and slipped it onto his index finger. Frella gave a flutter as her stone glowed and she shrank down.

Perching on Haegor's shoulder, the pair stood ready as Alkira and Daegmund arrived right behind them.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:25 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Saph'eia Ruesei

Alkira sent him to get the others, and so he did just that. He would have argued, but she walked away immediately after assigning the chore. So instead, he was in charge of retrieving the others. Walking down the hallway, trying to locate the others, was frustrating. He could be out flying, but instead he was making up for Alkira's mistake. Why not just notify everyone at dinner the night before that their was sparring this morning?

First room on the right was Amaya's. She was a cheerful person, and she wasn't bad at flying or fighting, so Saph liked her. He had to be careful with his sarcasm, however, because she took everything very literally. He knocked on the door and waited. After a few seconds, the door was pulled open and Amaya stood in the doorway.

“Hi!” She exclaimed, waving.

“Hey. Alkira want's us for sparring. Why she didn't tell everyone at dinner last night is beyond me, but now I'm in charge of gathering everyone.”

“She probably decided on a sparring session this morning.”

Saph sighed. “Probably. Anyhow, we'll be in the Sand Floor Stadium, so you can head over. Tell Alkira I'm working on gathering everyone, and that I'm loving this assignment. It's really improving my skills.”

“I can help gather everyone,” Aya said, “if you'd like. We can split up, and get everyone faster. I'll meet with you back here in ten minutes!” She called as she took off down the hall. Saph didn't even have time to thank her.

Saph's first stop was Caryx's room. He knocked once, then twice. After a few minutes, the door was opened. “Oh, Saph. Sorry, I was busy.”

“What could possibly be more important than me?” Saph asked mischievously.

“Well, the book I was reading had a pretty interesting part on the behavior of dragons during the process of mating, and-”

“You know what? Don't finish that sentence. I'd rather not hear whatever you planned on saying,” Saph said. “Come with me. Alkira has spontaneously decided we need to spar, so today we spar. I'm working on getting everyone together, and you're coming too. We're gonna go get Gailen, while Aya retrieves Hae and Caratrina. Any questions?” Caryx opened his mouth, but Saph interjected. “No, you can't take the book. Come on.”

The two went down the hall until they arrived at Gailen's room. Saph knocked, and Gailen opened it after a few seconds. “We need to get to the Sand Floor Arena. Alkira's orders. Yay sparring. Aya and myself have gathered everyone together.”

“Okay,” Gailen said, nodding and saying nothing else. The three took off down the hallway, back to the meeting spot.

Aya and Caratina were there, but no Haegor. “Couldn't find him,” Aya explained. “He probably already was informed.”

Saph nodded, then turned to the rest of the group. “Okay kids, make sure you packed lots of water. The Sand Floor Arena gets pretty hot under midday sun.”

“Thanks for reminding us now,” Gailen grumbled.

“Would you rather I didn't remind you at all?”

Caryx rolled his eyes. “You mine as well not have.”

Saph dismissed the comment. He glanced at the sun out the window, seeing how high in the sky it was. “We better hurry. If we take any longer, Alkira will have a cow. Come on, let's go.” He turned and led the group down the stairwell to the Sand Floor Arena.

The first draft is a trip to the amusement park. The next drafts are returning there as a safety inspector.
— SunsetTree