Young Writers Society

Welcome to the Zombie Apocalypse!

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:10 pm
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Asklova
Asklova looked around a little bit more. There were lots of valuables on the upstairs level, not much use to her at all. The most jewelry she'd ever worn was an old Russian coin she got from her mother. She hadn't explored the downstairs level yet, but she most definitely would. However, before she would do that, she would calculate her options. She sat down on the couch and thought. If she stayed here, she would have lots of food and water to last her maybe six months if she rationed it. However, she would eventually run out and would have to move on. If she did that, she could not predict what the monsters would do or how big the hordes would be.

On the other hand, if she kept moving, she could get lots of supplies and stake out multiple safe houses to visit later. Asklova decided that would be the best option. She decided to make a game plan.

First, explore the downstairs. Second, gather up as many supplies and weapons as I can carry without being laden down. Thirdly, find a place to stay for now. So, basically stay here and do not move. Sounds good to me. She got up and started towards the basement door. She made her way down the stairs and into a whole new area of the house. The downstairs was a completely finished basement with cream walls and hardwood floors. There was a television, a console of sorts, a couch, and a fully stocked pantry.

These people are obviously prepared for any kind of disaster... she thought. Asklova poked around the basement a little while longer before settling down onto the couch. She was emotionally drained and physically exhausted, The day's activities were too stressful, even for her. She decided to stay here until the next day, just to be safe. She went back up the stairs and closed the basement door. It had a locking mechanism from the inside, so logically, she locked the door and relaxed.

Several minutes later, she heard something. Talking. Asklova tensed again, reaching to her kitchen knife next to her on the couch. The talking grew closer and there was a thump on the basement door.

"...locked... someone in ..." There was broken words coming through the solid wood door. Asklova crept to the wall with her knife at the ready. Ready for anything to come through that door.
Will Solace IRL

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:09 am
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Aaron Harrison | Wooded area

When everyone was finally in the fragile safety of the woods, Aaron took a moment to calm his nerves. Trying to stand still while a flesh-hungry monster brushed against you didn't help his nerves. He looked at his hands to watch as they shook from the adrenaline.

Been a long time since I had that sensation, Aaron thought as he took a few steady breaths. Now isn't the time, he chided himself as he started moving. If sound was what drew them, then slower meant less noise. They might be lucky to make it back by nightfall if they kept an easy pace.

Taking the path of less zombie, they were lead toward the back of the school before making their way between the houses toward the Superstore. He was glad to see that they seemed to be having a stroke of luck. They had made it into a small alley behind the houses where all the back doors faced and trashcans lining the back street.

Aaron paused, with everyone soon to follow after. A cross section just ahead of them had a few of the shambling forms moving through it. Aaron waved for to move back and slowly began heading that way, his eyes on the slowly growing zombie horde.

Then came the clatter...

One of the metal cans was tipped over by Daniel not paying attention and giving out a loud racket that was more than enough to get the attention of the dead.

"Check doors! Now!" Aaron ordered as he heard them spread out and start checking locks.

"Everyone went to work," Izzy hissed. "They locked their doors on the way out."

"We got more trouble," Tom said.

Looking behind him he could see another horde making their way up toward them. They were pinned down. Zombies on all sides and no way out. Aaron slowly realized he had gotten everyone killed.

"Door!" Charlie cried as she found one that swung open. The small group rushed toward it and quickly latched it closed as the two groups met in a slow bumbling collision. Aaron let out a sigh as he sat back against the door.

"I'm sorry," Daniel said holding his head. "I didn't see it and....I'm so sorry."

"Take it easy," Aaron said patting him on the shoulder. "We were bound to make some noise at some point. But let's keep the accidents to a minimum."

"Aaron this place is loaded," Charlie said from the pantry. "They have a lot of canned stuff here."

Taking a look he could see that whoever lived here was planning for an emergency. Maybe not this one, but they were prepared. "We may not have to go to the store afterall," Daniel said with relief.

"No...we can't take this," Aaron said quietly. "If the owner makes it back they'll be counting on this food to keep them alive."

"You don't know that," Daniel said in a hushed voice, worried he might alert the zombies outside to them. "We if he's one of those things by now?"

Aaron turned to him with a stern gaze. 'What if he isn't? What if he is making his way here right now and counting on this food being here to weather this out?" The group fell silent as he sighed. "Come on, let's see if there is anything we can use as a weapon here."

Looking around everything seemed rather useless. They headed to the basement and started in when the door caught. "Locked...someone's in there," Aaron said.

"How do you know that?" Tom asked.

"No keyhole. Door only locks from the inside." Aaron firmly knocked his knuckles against the door. "Excuse me in there. We're from the school. We have a bunch of people in need of supplies. We are trying to make it to the superstore a few blocks over. We could really use some weapons if you can part with any."

There was a long moment of silence.

"I don't think they're going to talk to us, Aaron," Izzy said.
Last edited by XxXTheSwordsmanXxX on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

107 Reviews

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 am
View Likes

Mr. Jameson | School Roof

"There, there. It will be alright," Mr. Jameson said soothingly as he held two of the young women to him. They were vulnerable, mentally suggestible, in this crisis. Neither of them could see the wolfish grin on his face as he held them close. "The scouting party will be back soon. I'm sure of it."

Whether they came back or not, he didn't care. Those that had the fortitude to make the brash decision to head out into this hell were not as easily manipulable, Aaron Marshall especially. The boy didn't trust men his age. But with his past who could blame him? But these girls and jocks were much more of the fodder that he needed.

Looking around he spotted the icy beauty. Now she could be one that could be of use. Intelligent, strong, a symbol of leadership. But he would need to get her around his finger first.

"I won't let any harm befall either of you," he said cupping the cheek of each girl. "Now I must see to the other students and how they are fairing. Look after each other now." He grinned as they fell into each other's arms. Clinging to one another out of desperation.

As he moved toward Esher he took note of Sanda with the laptop. She had gotten connection to the internet and was not watching as this epidemic was all over the world. Her skill might be useful. he thought

"You're Esher Poller if I'm not mistaken," he said gently. His eyes quickly darting over her. "I'm glad to see that you are uninjured. Though I have taken note that you are off by yourself. While this might be seen as the actions of an introvert, I can sense a strong leadership quality in you. Perhaps with your help we can draw these troubled students from this slump of fear."

Esher arched a brow at him in question. "What do you propose?"

"It is likely the fault of adults like me that the world is like this. What faith can be put in me, a simple literary educator, to help these terrified students? But you, their peer, can bring them hope. With a little guidance, we could rebuild what was lost from here. A young woman with your grace and strong beauty could likely spur these young men and women to strength and devotion."

Jameson's eyes became half-lidded as he slowly bowed his torso slightly to Esher. "And I would be honored to help you achieve such a state of enamor. If you would like me."

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:34 am
View Likes
Dracula says...

Charlie Hawker

"I don't think they're going to talk to us, Aaron," Izzy said.

"Why should they?" Charlie said in a hushed tone, loud enough so that whoever was on the other side of the door couldn't hear. "The world's practically ended, and they have crucial supplies. Maybe they want to keep it all to themselves, or they're shy." She thought it was clever of them, if that was the case, to exclude everyone and make their stuff last longer. Clever, but very cruel.

Though they'd entered the house from the back, it wasn't hard to figure out what street was at its front. She'd by the building hundreds of times, but had never actually seen anyone. No one gardened on sunny afternoons, no one washed their car in the driveway, or sat on the porch with a paper. Either the owner was very busy, or a recluse. And as much as she wanted them to open that door, Charlie was also nervous about finally meeting whoever was on the other side.

"Could we break it down?" Kurieitā perked up. Tom raised his eyebrows at her, Izzy rolled her eyes.

"No," Aaron shook his head. "It's designed to withstand more than a few school students."

"I wasn't actually serious..."

Charlie glanced back at the stairs, where the dogs were keeping guard. She could hear a faint banging on the back door, though from where she was it sounded more like the pitter patter of rain. The 'zombies' (she'd decided to just call them that, as ridiculous as it was) were still acting on impulse. But as the silence continued, Charlie knew they'd lose interest in the group. They were safe for the moment. But long term, they'd need food. If the door wasn't going to open soon, they would have to leave.
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:24 am
View Likes
NicoleBri says...

Meredith

Spoiler! :
This is a rough post. Let me know if I need to delete anything.

I was the last person to enter the building, everyone was looking around at all the food and supplies that would possibly come in handy. Aaron and a few others were talking about taking items but Aaron was completely against it.

They walked to a basement door and I realized it was one of the doors you couldn't unlock from the outside. Some people had to be in there.

Aaron was cute that he thought talking through the door would get their attention to let us in.

I slid myself in front of him & took my hair piece from my hair, "if they won't let us in, we shall get in." I simply said. Taking the pointy part of my hair piece I stuck it between where the door met the lock.

It took a few clicks but I slowly unlocked it, making sure I looked good while doing so.

I smiled & slowly turned back around, "there you go." I winked at Aaron and stood back. The door was creaking open slowly & Aaron took the handle.

"How did you do that?" One of the female students asked. I grinned.

"Just a trick I was taught."

They all made their way inside the door, I stayed out and looked around the dark of the house, there had to be something I could take that would come in handy later on.

I looked through the boxes I saw in the corner. Mostly it was useless junk.

"What are you doing?" I slowly turned to face one of the people from the group.

"I'm looking for supplies."
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

69 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:39 am
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Asklova
She heard a click. Then, people started to make their way down the stairs, cautiously. Their light steps barely made a sound on the wooden steps. She clutched her knife and took a breath.

"Hello?" someone said, "Anyone down here?" Asklova took another breath and decided to respond.

"Don't move," she said, her voice steady despite her growing fear, "Don't move muscle. I is with sharp knife." The footsteps stopped.

"Why can't we come down to you?" asked the voice again. There was a tinge of recognition in it.

"How I can trust you?" she said, gripping the knife so tight, her knuckles were white, "How I know, you no kill me?" There was a step and Asklova shouted.

"DON"T MOVE!" There were no more steps and scared breathing filled the silence.

"What's going on?" A voice came from the top of the stairwell. Asklova heard more steps and two more people started to make their way down the stairs.

"Stop!" shouted the first voice, "She's scared. She's armed and she's scared. We have to try and diplomatically solve this."

"Why can't we just storm the basement?" asked another person on the stairs. Asklova's blood ran cold and she quickly ran over and grabbed her chainsaw.

"I has arms!" she shouted again.

"Come on, we can take her," said the second person. Her heart rate almost doubled and she put her hand on the, oh what was it called, the thing that turned the chainsaw on.

"Do not come any closer," she warned again.

"Let's go! She's probably bluffing about her weapons." Before the very first voice had time to respond, Asklova revved the chainsaw with a loud VHRRRRRRRRRRR!

"Klyanus' bogom, yesli vy podkhodi blizhe YA unichtozhu vashi ruki proch' i zasunut' ikh v gorlo!" she shouted in loud, angry Russian.
Spoiler! :
The Russian means: I swear to god, if you come any closer I will cut your arms off and shove them down your throat!
Will Solace IRL

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:24 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Esher

The group leaves on their suicide mission. I watch Izzy follow them, wondering if I should have gone with her. It would have been a good opportunity to run off, too. But where can I go? The only place I can think of is the house I’ve been staying at since arriving here. It’s at least an hour’s walk from here, but with all these blind people around, it’d probably be longer. I grit my teeth trying to think of something. Faster travel, something that can definitely move faster than the blind people. A horse. There is a soft tug at my lips as I contemplate how to get a horse. There are some stables just outside of the main city, and probably further out. The country. Aren’t there a lot of horses on farms in the country areas of the US?

My eyes drift over the blind people – I need to find a name for them – and I cringe at the sight of them turning on their brethren. It must be the noises they make. I can’t keep watching as they start to tear each other apart, gore and limbs being discarded on the ground as bones get pulled from flesh. Disgusting. And yet, they seem to work as predators. It seems once they have a hold of something, they don’t let go until it has been destroyed. I don’t know if they actually eat what they find, but either way. If I could get the chance to study one …

"You're Esher Poller if I'm not mistaken," a sly voice drawls behind me. I whip around to see the teacher I’d encountered earlier staring at me with hungry eyes. "I'm glad to see that you are uninjured. Though I have taken note that you are off by yourself. While this might be seen as the actions of an introvert, I can sense a strong leadership quality in you. Perhaps with your help we can draw these troubled students from this slump of fear."

I swallow thickly. Leader? No, no way. I’m not the leader kind. My oldest brother is a leader. Although I am curious to see where this teacher thinks he’s going with this. I push aside all emotion and lift an eyebrow, insinuating that I don’t really care, but I’ll listen anyway. “What do you propose?” I ask, voice hard-edged and cold.

He grins, the motion of his lips spreading over his teeth setting my hair on end. He reminds me of a wolf I once encountered on my afternoon ride. "It is likely the fault of adults like me that the world is like this. What faith can be put in me, a simple literary educator, to help these terrified students? But you, their peer, can bring them hope. With a little guidance, we could rebuild what was lost from here. A young woman with your grace and strong beauty could likely spur these young men and women to strength and devotion." His eyes run over my body in a way that would have my brothers at his throat. It sends a ripple of fear through me as he moves a little closer, bowing from the waist, eyelids lazily fluttering open and closed. As though this much movement isn’t an effort to him, as though he could achieve much, much worse with his body. "And I would be honoured to help you achieve such a state of enamour. If you would like me."

I stare at him with almost wide, surprised eyes. Work with this man? Something tells me he’d make a very valuable ally, but to what extent? Would I be considered an equal? He oozes calm authority, and such confidence in himself. Much like my oldest brother. However, unlike my oldest brother, he seems like the kind of person that would manipulate others into doing what he wants. He probably has no care for the students he has wrapped around his little finger. He’d certainly be a match for my older brother, who has the ability to charm the skin off a snake. What would my brother’s say if presented with this man? I’ve been around them enough to know exactly what they’d think of him.

“Get away from me,” I hiss, rising to my feet. I ball my hands into fists at my sides, taking a threatening step toward the man. He doesn’t batter an eyelid as I stare him down. “I want nothing to do with you.”

“Would you really give up on your poor peers that easily?” The man frowns, eyes dropping from my face for a second. Assessing me.

“These people are not my peers,” I grate out, jaw taught from clenching my teeth. “And you have no control over me. Get back before I throw you over the edge of this roof.”

The man narrows his eyes and takes a step forward. I watch him with cold eyes, manoeuvring my body so that I can run the second he shows more of a threat. “What about everyone else? What would they do without a strong leader capable of getting them through such hardships?” He growls, and hangs his head as if in defeat. “I’m appealing to you because I know you stand a chance –“

“Shut it,” I cut him off, voice vicious. “I don’t have to listen to listen to this crap.”

Before anything more can be said, I move away from him. Some of the other students watch me with narrowed eyes, some even whispering to each other and giving me dirty looks. I frown at them, my eyes scanning the rooftop. That vent the Russian girl climbed through. Could get through there and back into the school? No, that’s idiotic. I need to get away from the school.

Lifting my head, I storm over to the door leading off the roof, and yank it open. I pull it shut behind me after checking to make sure there aren’t any of the blind people. After the door is closed, I wait for a moment. Nothing. Just a low moan echoing down the halls. With a determined huff, I pull my shoes off, and pad down the stairs. I move with expert agility across the open space of the hallway, heading for the door. Movement out of the corner of my eye makes me stop. Leaning against the wall, I turn my head to see a boy dragging himself across the floor. He looks up and notices my stair, his eyes wide with hope.

“Hey,” he whispers. The sound echoes through the hall. I wince. “Hey, you gotta help me. Please. My ankle, it’s really messed up. I’m … I’m not bitten!”

I open my mouth to say something when a moan answers the boy’s words. Pushing myself entirely against the wall, I freeze up, eyes darting up and down the hallway. The boy notices my sudden change, and starts to whimper.

“Don’t leave me, please!” He pleads with me, voice growing above a whisper.

My eyes narrow as I look at him, my face warning enough. I lift a hand and hold a finger to my lips, telling him to shut up. He sniffles and wipes at his nose before going silent. More groans reach my ears, and I turn my head in the direction they’re coming from. Right behind the boy. My eyes widen as shadows move behind him. I try to keep the fear from my face as I look at him and tell him to move toward the wall with my hands. It takes him a moment to understand what I’m commanding, and he starts to drag himself across the slick floor. Behind him, a small group of blind people shuffle forward, as though they are just letting their feet carry them to nowhere in particular. My eyes dart between the small group and the boy dragging himself over to the wall. I can see his ankle now, and it takes a second to realise that it is his ankle I’m looking at. What happened to it? It certainly wasn’t eaten, although it looks like his foot went through a grinder or a meat shredder. How the hell could something like that happen here?

One of the blind people move too close to the boy. He freezes up and turns to look at me with wide eyes. I watch with my lungs burning for air as I hold my breath. One of the blind people stumbles, and pushes another one. They right themselves, kicking something in the process.

The boy on the ground screams in agony as his mangled foot gets stepped on. The small group of blind people instantly turn on him, dropping to the ground to tackle him and start chewing and biting and pulling at his skin. His screams echo through the halls, the hair on my body prickling and standing on edge. It’s all I can do not to vomit, or scream myself. My body starts to tremble as I move down the hall, away from the horrid sight. My bare feet move faster and faster until I get to the wide open, double door entrance to the school. I take my time going down the stairs, watching for any movement. I pad through the school grounds until I get to the exit gates. After looking left and right several times, and waiting to make sure there aren’t any of the blind people within sight, I put my shoes on and start running.

”Why are you always picking on him, Oliver?” Mum snaps.

Dad turns to her, eyes narrowed. “I’m not,” he bites back. “He needs to be more active with his sporting career.”

“What sporting career?” Mum yells, her hands flailing with exasperation. “He does cross country! There is nowhere else he can go with that!”

“Maybe he could try another sport, then,” Dad glares at Mum. “Maybe he could do cricket like Luca, or maybe train with Jasper. Nothing is stopping him.”

“Oh there’s plenty stopping him,” Mum gets right up close to Dad, her green eyes flashing dangerously. “He has his own dreams. Don’t you
dare squander them.”

Dad stares at Mum with those steel grey eyes of his. “I’m looking out for my son, I want him to succeed in life –“

“That is bullshit,” Mum hisses, her fists turning white at her sides. “That is bullshit and you know it. Al has every right to do whatever he wants. He already knows where he wants to go –“

“He’s not even sixteen yet!” Dad roars.

“Esh, there you are,” a welcome voice drags my wide eyed stare from my arguing parents. My oldest brother, Jasper, smiles at me and offers me his hand. “Come on, we’re going to the oval. You should come with.”

My eyes flicker to my fighting parents, who have now moved closer to Mum’s study. Guess I won’t be able to read today. And I’ve already taken Mist out for a ride, so she’ll be too tired to take me through the forest again. So I drag my gaze to my tall, adult brother who has a lopsided grin on his face. Oh I know that look. He’s not taking me to the oval. He has something planned with Luca and Alastair. Something sinister, something fun.

“Okay,” I nod and take his hand.

His grin only widens. “I promise it’s going to be something much better to watch than those to have at it,” he says as he pulls me to his side, taking me away from their yelling.

A resounding
crack makes us stop dead. I whip around to see Mum in a defensive stance, one hand raised. Dad has staggered back, a hand to his face where he stares at her with wide, surprised eyes. It isn’t the first time Mum has slapped Dad, although she only slaps him when he says something super nasty, or looks like he’s about to hit her. The fire in her eyes tells me he went too far with his words, and the snarl twisting her lips, her teeth bared at my father, tells me he went way too far with his words.

“Don’t you ever,
ever say that about our sons,” Mum’s voice is dripping venom as she stares Dad down. “You hear me?”

“Esher, come on,” Jasper lifts me up and throws me over his shoulder as he continues to walk to the back door, where he parks his car.

“What did he say?” I ask Jasper.

“Nothing you need to worry about, kid,” he tells me.

I know nothing more will be said. He’s not going to talk about it.

“Where are we going?” I ask, twisting on his shoulder so I can see his face.

The smile that spreads across his full lips and lights up his green eyes is answer enough. “We’re going to the oval, Esher,” he tells me.

Okay, so it’s a surprise. When we get outside to his car, Luca and Alastair are arguing about who gets the front seat. Jasper puts me down and ruffles my hair before strolling around to the driver’s seat of the car. Alastair and Luca both turn to look at me, and grin wide.

“I’ll take the back seat,” Luca announces.

“Prick,” Alastair glares at him before climbing into the front passenger seat.

“Where are we going?” I ask Luca as he holds the door open for me.

“The oval,” he tells me, grey eyes flashing with nefarious glee.

“So, not the oval?” I huff as I climb into the backseat.

“It is the oval,” Alastair confirms as Luca walks around to the other door, taking his seat behind Jasper. “But we have to wait for a little bit.”

“This is gonna be awesome,” Jasper grins wide as he starts the car, and zooms out of the driveway.

I narrow my eyes as I stare at the tall, wooden structure of the barn. No sounds emanate from behind the closed doors. No whinnies or snorts or shouts or anything. Cautiously, I creep over to the door and pull it open. Peering inside, I find several long, narrow faces peering over wooden doors, large, dark eyes blinking curiously. I grin wide and walk into the barn, pulling the door closed behind me.

Now for the hard part.

Which horse do I want to take with me?

Spoiler! :
Let me know if this is okay please ^^
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:41 am
View Likes
Snoops says...

THOMAS MICHEAL BROWN

Suddenly, I heard the distinct sound of a chainsaw.
"Klyanus' bogom, yesli vy podkhodi blizhe YA unichtozhu vashi ruki proch' i zasunut' ikh v gorlo!" she shouted loudly.
“Umh, guys, maybe there's another place we can look for supplies where there aren't any angry Russians?”, I whispered frantically.
Aaron put a finger up, silencing me.
“We won't hurt you”, he shouted back.
“Tell the girl with the chainsaw that we won't hurt her”, I said. Charlie gave me a very clear shut-up-now-or-I-will-kill-you look.
“I'm just saying..”, I whispered.
“I am going to come down alone. So we can talk, okay?” Aaron said. He took two steps forward before we heard the chainsaw cut something in half. My guess was a wooden table.
“Aaron, maybe it's better if you don't go down there. Just to be safe”, Meredith said, holding him back.
“She isn't going to hurt us”, he said matter of factually.
“She has a chainsaw. She has a chainsaw and she knows how to use it”, I said urgently. No one seemed to think this was an important fact.
“My dogs are guards dogs but...Thomas has a point! She has a chainsaw”, Tom said.
“Thanks Tom. At least someone listens!”, I gave Charlie a dirty look and stuck my tongue out to her. That will teach her not to mess with me.
“You dead!”, the Russian girl screamed.
“I say we leave this place. Let's just go to the superstore”, Aurora Jacobs said. She was in my English class. Never said much but always had top marks in every test.
“Agreed”, Kurieitā said. She was on the robotics club that had won the last two tournaments and was off to championships now. Well, I guess that was cancelled.
“We should make a plan”, Charlie said.
“I say we do it fast before the Zombies figure out we are here and the girl with the chainsaw figures out are only weapons are two very cute dogs”, I said.
“These are highly trained guard dogs. They aren't cute!”, Tom said.
“Every dog is cute, that's a fact!”, Rory says, scratching the back of Kai's ear.
“If we can find a gun, I can use it”, Abbie says. Everyone went silent for a second and looked at her. She was pretty and tall, but well, she did not look like someone who knew how to work a gun.
“What?”, she asked as everyone stared at her.
“You know how to use a gun?”, Aaron asked.
“My grandfather taught me. Why do you all look so surprised?”
“Nothing..”, Everyone muttered, looking the other way.
The Russian girl downstairs hadn't said anything for a while, and the chainsaw had been turned off.
“Can chainsaws run out of battery?”, Izzy asked.
"Keep calm, drink tea and hide under the bedcovers"

Previously Lau2001

802 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:04 am
View Likes
Dracula says...

“Can chainsaws run out of battery?”, Izzy asked.
"I don't know, but guys," Charlie pointed out, twiddling her fingers and looking down the stairs. "I recognise her. She was on the roof, remember?" Charlie's voice was naturally quiet, so the Russian girl couldn't hear her. "She was pulled from the grate?"
"Oh, yeah."
"I remember."
"Acrobat girl."
"The exchange student?"
Charlie nodded, glad that they were acknowledging her. The girl was one of them, and she didn't want them to take any sort of hostile approach. Yeah, she had a chainsaw, but she was scared. They all were.
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

69 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:20 am
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Asklova
After her episode of shouting and chainsaw noises, Asklova eventually realized killing her peers would not be the best option. She shut off her chainsaw and sank down to the floor. She wouldn't cry, that was beneath her. She hadn't cried since she was a child. And a good thing at that too. She took a breath and called out to the people on the stairs.

"Come down now." There was a collective sigh of relief and the footsteps continued down the stairs. There was a group of boys and girls, all of them she recognized from the rooftop. The boy, that one boy, was in the lead. What was it about him that bothered her? She knew it wasn't love, she'd experienced that before, but more of a longing. A desire to know him and to be with him, but not romantically. Then, she remembered the word.

Platonic. She just wanted to be friends and get to know him. Maybe even trust him. No, she said to herself, Do you remember what happened last time? She shuddered and wiped the memory out of her mind. No one was going to do that to her again. Not now, not ever.
Will Solace IRL

107 Reviews

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Aaron Harrison

Aaron stood at the door trying to figure out a way to convince the people on the other side that they just wanted something to protect themselves with.

"Could we break it down?" he heard someone ask behind him.

"No," he responded with a shake of his head. "It's designed to withstand more than a few school students." Whoever put the door in put the door jam on the other side of the door. Trying to kick the door in would be fighting the enter frame of the door.

"If they won't let us in, we shall get in," a girl said slipping in front of him. Meredith he remembered. She pulled something from her hair and filled with the slot between the door and jam before the door popped open ever so slightly.

"How did you do that?" Someone asked behind him.

"Just a trick I was taught."

That could be really useful, Aaron wanted to know where she would have been taught something like that, but right now they had bigger things to worry about.

Aaron started down, very slowly, before he heard a voice call up to him. "Don't move! Don't move muscle! I is with sharp knife!"

Broken English. Heavy accent. I think I know that voice. Aaron thought.

"Why can't we come down to you?" Izzy asked.

"How I can trust you?" the voice answered back. "How I know, you no kill me?"

Aaron heard people moving down behind him. "Don't move!" he said turning back to them. If this girl felt pressured she could rush the stairs and the first one she would stab would be him.

"What's going on?" Meredith asked from the top of the stairs.

"Stop!" Izzy shouted. 'She's scared. She's armed and she's scared. We have to try and diplomatically solve this."

"Why can't we just storm the basement?" he heard Daniel ask.

"You can't fight off one of those stumbling creatures outside and you want to rush a frightened woman with a knife? Ever hear the expression 'don't push a wounded animal into a corner'?" Aaron retorted.

"I has arms!"

"Come on, we can take her," Aaron didn't pay attention to who had said that because the next thing he heard was the very distinctive sound of a chainsaw revving up.

Aaron stumbled back from the stairs. A knife he could deal with, but in the narrow staircase he was in no position to deal with a chainsaw. He could barely hear her screaming over the chainsaw.

"Klyanus' bogom, yesli vy podkhodi blizhe YA unichtozhu vashi ruki proch' i zasunut' ikh v gorlo!" she shouted in loud, angry Russian.

Aaron was running over what to do as the group behind him were arguing on something having to do with dogs.

"Aaron, maybe it's better if you don't go down there. Just to be safe," Meredith suggested.

"She isn't going to hurt us," Aaron said. He knew that was going to be met with skepticism, but he knew. She was terrified that they were going to do something to her.

Then Abigail piped up, “If we can find a gun, I can use it."

Aaron looked to her in surprise. "You know how to use a gun?"

“My grandfather taught me. Why do you all look so surprised?”

Aaron chuckled a little when he noted that the rumble of the chain saw was gone. There was silence downstairs.

"Can chainsaws run out of battery?" Izzy asked.

"I don't know, but guys I recognize her. She was on the roof, remember? She was pulled from the grate?" Charlie said quietly.

Aaron looked to her confused. He hadn't been there when someone was pulled out of a grate. It was probably when he was trying to run up the stairs and not be bitten.

"Come down now," Aaron heard as he looked down the stairs. She seemed calmer somehow. He gave the others a gentle motion to wait as he headed down the stairs. Opening the door he slowly stepped inside. He looked around and noted the girl sitting on the floor, the chainsaw right in front of her as she looked up and stared at him.

He heard the others cautiously make their way down and stay behind him. The girl was frightened. He could see it in her eyes. She still didn't know if they were going to hurt her. But there was something else, she was staring at him specifically with an almost confused expression. He stepped forward, very gently before he knelt down in front of the girl.

"You're the exchange student right? From Russia?" he asked. She only nodded.

"What's your name?"

She seemed to contemplate telling him for a bit before she spoke. "Asklova Fontido."

"Asklova. I think I can manage that." Aaron reached over and picked up the kitchen knife with a gentle rasp of metal on concrete. He could see Asklova tense as she watched him. "Well, Asklova. I suggest you stick with this until you can find something with more reach." He clutched the blade in his fingers and held the handle out to her. "Those things out there are drawn to noise and that chainsaw makes a lot of it."

Asklova slowly took the knife from him and nodded slowly.

"We're heading to the superstore a couple blocks over," Charlie said stepping forward. "If you would like you can come with us. Aaron has been keeping us safe so far. And you're a gymnast. I'm sure that we could use the help getting into places."

Aaron stood up slowly and offered his hand to her to help her to her feet. "What do you say?"

Spoiler! :
This is not a next round post. I just wanted to post something because I was getting itchy. XD I hope everyone is alright with that.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:14 pm
View Likes
KaiRyu says...

Kurieitā

Kurieitā wasn't sure weather or not to follow them down, but she didn't want to seem scared. She reached into the pocket of her trench-coat and took out her I-Pod, turning it off and lowered her headphones so that they're hanging by her neck. Kurieitā's eyes darted everywhere, looking for possible escape routes, just in case she had to run. Her fingers tapped against her leg, once the music was shut off, she came into constant motion once more.

She started to sing softly "rouka no sumi miorosu souji no tochuu, okashina mono da to omou, atashi no naka no toki ha tomatteru noni..."

Once Aaron went down, however, she imediantly stopped; wanting to hear what the Russian had to say. ".....Asklova Fontido." Kurieitā jumped a little, not having paid attention before, she hardly heard Aaron ask the Russian girl what her name was. Kurieitā just shrugged and resumed her song.

"... at do you say?" She head Aaron ask, and she assumed he was going to ask the Russian, no, Asklove if she would go with them to the store. Kurieitā smiled "You can tell me what to say, you can tell me where to go, but I doubt that I would care..." She whispered.

Spoiler! :
The song lyrics are from the Angel Beats! opening song and Bad Apple
“So what? You're another person so of course you look different. What do you need to be ashamed for?” Ciel Phantomhive

"Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram buy gold bye!" Bill Cipher

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Alastair

My fingers tap merrily on the steering wheel of the car as my head bobs away to the music blaring from the stereo system. My eyes scan the roads for any place worth stopping at, the streets eerily quiet for once. It has been roughly six hours since I go the phone call from Luca. Then the phone cut off suddenly, and I heard screams outside my hotel room. I know my family is safe, because Jasper and Luca have been keeping me updated. Jasper has convinced everyone to hide out in his weird bush shack along the trail Esher would go riding in the mornings. Never been there, but I guess that’s better than being on the streets. I don’t think Chagford was hit too hard, but damn, oh damn, this place was.

Zombies. That’s what these things are. No doubt. I’ve drawn too many pictures, watched too many movies, not to know these buggers when I see them. Thankfully they’re not the fast moving kind from 28 Days Later because we’d all be screwed. Even I would, and I can easily outrun anyone for five k’s. Just like my sister!

Esher.

I need to find my sister. She’s the reason I came to this damn country. I was content to stay home, but it was driving me insane. I’m so used to sharing my jokes with her, knowing she’s always around. Even if Dad never gave her the time of day. Mum had the good graces to buy her a horse and give her books. Although that kind of attention gets a kid only so far. Jasper wanted to come with me, but there was no way he could just go on a spontaneous holiday, and Dad would have been at his throat about it. Luca was too serious and drawn in, although I know he was itching to come with me as well. I could tell at the airport, when they were saying good bye to me. And now they’re relying on me to get to her, to keep her safe. And I’m already an hour’s drive on the damn city she’s in.

A sign. Clayton is ninety miles from here. What’s the conversion to kilometres? Maybe I should have paid more attention in math class, instead of drawing on my work book. Eh. That should at least be an hour’s drive though, right? Surely.

The music splutters and dies. I frown down at the radio for a second. When I lift my head, my eyes widen in mute horror and I slam the breaks on. The bonnet of the car I’m driving slams into the person shuffling across the road, sending them flying. I just sit in silence, staring wide-eyed, as they drag themselves to their feet and continue shuffling across the road.

A zombie. I hit a zombie. Oh my gosh, that was the coolest thing I’ve ever done!

The zombie turns its head and starts walking toward me. My frown replaces my wide grin, and I step on the gas, driving around it and speeding down the road. An hour. I’ll have to stop somewhere to get fuel for the car, otherwise I’ll have to make the rest of the journey on foot. I won’t really mind, but I do have all my supplies in the car.

Yes. My supplies. Everything I’d need for a zombie apocalypse. I’m ashamed to admit I was very excited to hear those screams of terror above the music of my Ipod. Seeing those people turn into zombies. But I mean, it’s so cool! Real zombies, and not just on TV and stuff. This is great, this is really great. I just need to get to my sister. And we can be the best zombie fighting team.

The road stretches out, the horizon blurring. I drive and drive, humming tunes to myself. I notice a petrol station and pull up to one of the pumps. I wait patiently for something to come out and attack, but nothing moves. Nothing groans or whispers or shrieks. So, I get out of the car, close the door, and start filling up the tank. I keep one eye on the car, the other on my surroundings. My ears are crackling as I strain them, listening to any sounds. When I feel like the car tank is full, I pull the pump out, put it back, and get back into the car. I check the backseat and my supplies, before starting the car and driving away.

Okay, so a part of me is scared. A part of me is concerned. A part of me does know that I should be taking this more seriously. I can die. This is real life, not a video game. If I die, there is no respawn point. And if I die, there will be no one to look after Esher.

With that thought in mind, and a grim frown on my face, I drive passed the welcome sign to Clayton, and find myself in the midst of hell. Where would she be? The school. Right.

Without thinking twice about it, I head for the school, following the signs.

Spoiler! :
Sorry if this seems rushed for a first post. I didn't know what else to add in for Al's introduction ... so ... tada, we have Al!
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

802 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:07 am
View Likes
Dracula says...

Charlotte Hawker

--==--Before the chaos...--==--

Charlie slowly pulled the front door closed, trying not to alert her parents to her presence. The universe was against her that night, though, and the loud creak it made resembled the cry of a banshee.

"Home so early?" Her mum called from the living room. "We're having chips if you want to come grab a bowl..."

"I think I'll just go to bed."

"Charlie!"

She sighed and dropped her bag at the bottom of the staircase, then followed the sound of the television. Her parents were leaning against each other on the couch, a bag of chips between them. They were watching a black and white film, how romantic.

Her dad raised an eyebrow when he saw her. "You don't look like a teenager who's just partied hard on the dancefloor."

"Didn't you enjoy yourself, honey?" Her mum muted the movie and patted the spot beside her.

"It was fine." Charlie fought hard to hold back the tears she knew were coming. They were bubbling behind her eyes, ready to overflow. "I just didn't feel like staying."

"C'mon, sweetie, tell me what really happened." Her mum wrapped an arm around her as Charlie sat on the couch. She'd wanted to escape to her room and cry into her pillow, but now she snuggled into her mum's warm embrace, inhaling the familiar smell of chicken chips and hair conditioner.

"I've got no life," she said straight into her mum's shoulder. Charlie heard her dad sigh.

"Yes you have, Charlie. Just look at how well you do in school, the teachers love you."

"And I don't know what we'd do without you," her mother added.

"School doesn't count," she sobbed. "I couldn't hold one conversation tonight. People talked to me at first, just to be polite, but then they went back to their friends. But there's no one to come back to me- Nancy didn't even show up." She reached her arm across to the bag of chips, and her dad tipped a couple into her palm. Munching away, she continued ranting. It felt better to get all her feelings out at once. "I have no real hobbies or talents. I'm good at making things, sure, but that doesn't get you anywhere nowadays. I'm okay at history and maths and art, but those are just school subjects, they don't mean anything in the real world. It feels like all I live for is school. What happens to me afterwards? I've got nothing, I've got no one."

"Charlie..." her mum's voice wavered, "I'm so sorry that you feel like that."

"Lots of teenagers feel that way, kiddo." Her dad was trying to be positive, which she appreciated, but Charlie knew she'd probably just torn her parents' hearts in two. "Once you leave school, so many doors will open."

"Yeah, you'll meet new people, try new things..."

"And all the work you've done at school will give you a head start in that. What you're doing now isn't meaningless."

"Have some more chips, Charlotte." Her mum snatched the whole bag and placed it on her lap. Then she buried her face in Charlie's hair, she could feel the dampness of her mother's tears.

"That's all I want." She plunged a fist into the bag, deposited the chips in her mouth, and wiped her nose with salty fingers. "To find out what I'm meant to do with my life."

"You will," her dad said, "you will."

--==--Present day...--==--

"Asklova Fontido," the exchange student said when Aaron asked her name. The chainsaw was in front of her, though luckily no longer in her hands.

"Asklova. I think I can manage that." Aaron picked up a knife and held it towards her. Charlie thought he was going to attack her, and stepped forward slightly, but he dropped the blade, an offering. "Well, Asklova. I suggest you stick with this until you can find something with more reach. Those things out there are drawn to noise and that chainsaw makes a lot of it."

She took the knife, her hand shaking. Izzy was right, this girl was very scared. Not only had the world been plunged into chaos, but she was in an unfamiliar city surrounded by strangers.

She must feel so lost, so alone, Charlie thought. She didn't want anyone to feel like that.

"We're heading to the superstore a couple blocks over," Charlie said. "If you would like you can come with us. Aaron has been keeping us safe so far. And you're a gymnast. I'm sure that we could use the help getting into places."
-Demetri Martin

69 Reviews

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:20 pm
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Asklova
"We're heading to the superstore a couple blocks over," one of the girls said. "If you would like you can come with us. Aaron has been keeping us safe so far. And you're a gymnast. I'm sure that we could use the help getting into places." Asklova turned around and gave her a forced smile.

"No gymnast," she said,"Circus. And yes, I come." She went back and picked up the chainsaw.

"What are you doing?" asked Aaron. Asklova hefted the chainsaw and gave a little more of a genuine smile.

"This saw is powerful thing," she said, "Could be of use in middle of... What are they in english?"

"Zombies?" the girl who'd invited her along said.

"Yes, zombies." Asklova pronounced the word 'zombies' like 'zumbez', "I use knives in kitchen also." Aaron nodded and they made their way back upstairs to where the rest of the group was waiting.

"Okay guys," he said, "We are going to go to the superstore only a couple blocks over for more supplies. And this is a new member, Asklova. She was an exchange student from Russia." There some scattered 'hello's' and 'hi's' but there was one person who didn't say anything and just glared at her.

"How can we trust her when she almost pulled a chainsaw on you Aaron?"
Will Solace IRL

I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
— Émile Zola