Young Writers Society

Of Blood & Royalty

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:40 am
View Likes
Amnesia says...

Asha Lovita

Asha looked at the fruit at the stand in front of her, the wind moving her hair softly. She let go of her hood for a moment and the wind knocked it off. Some men approached her. Quietly, Ash paid for the few things she wanted and walked back in the direction of her home.

"Hey! You!" a voice yelled out from behind her. Asha could hear the foots steps following her.

"She's a mage, be careful!" another man cried. Their footsteps quickening behind her. Asha dropped her basket and started running. The men were close on her heels. She turned down an alley in the vain hope that there would be a way out. She ran into a wall and placed her back against it as the men closed in on her. Ash was trapped like a wild animal, her hair all over the place.

"She certainly looks like a mage doesn't she, sir?" One of the men asked a rather large man with a long beard.

"I...I'm not a mage," Asha breathed, looking around for any form of escape. The men laughed at her.

"No one has red hair naturally," the larger one said with a sadistic smile.

"And everyone knows that mage's can change their appearance at will." The three stepped closer.

Asha was frantic, she looked for something to hit the men with, within her reach to no avail.

"I'm not a mage! My hair is natural," she yelled. The men just laughed, pulling knifes from their waists.

"If I were you, I'd shut that pretty little mouth. We don't take kindly to mages in this town, so we're gonna teach you a lesson." The three men came closer to Asha who at this point was close to an outburst of her magic.

Stones began levitating off the ground, but the men didnt even notice it. Asha was stopped in her tracks by a man with dark hair.

"Leave the young lady alone." the stranger said fiercely. The men turned.

"And who are you to be making such orders, this here is a mage. We have every right to execute her," the larger of the three said defiantly

"I said leave her alone," the stranger said with a stern tone.

Asha stealthily tried to sneak away but one of the men grabbed her by the hood of her cloak.

"And where do you think you're going miss?" he asked with a sickening smile

Asha kicked him in his shin which made him drop her onto the ground. Ash immediately crawled to a barrel and hid there as the stranger pulled out his sword.

"Where did that little bitch go!?" the one Ash had kicked yelled

In all the commotion between the stranger and the three men Asha quickly slipped out of the alley and pulling up her hood walked back to the market in hopes of blending in.

Spoiler! :
@LordZeus idk how to portray the prince so i think this is gonna be alright
I want a Harry Potter reboot with Benedict Cumberbatch as all the characters~~Mem
<3 Formerly Remembrance <3

This page supports the LGBTQ community

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:39 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Arryn | The Spotted Kestral (Brothel in the Slums)

Arryn woke with a pounding headache. He rolled onto his back and stared up at the ceiling blankly. For a moment, he couldn't feel anything--not the voice and not his magic. Arryn frowned, pushing himself up onto an elbow, taking in the room for a moment. He knew he'd killed people the night before--four men, perhaps?--but his memory of the event was somewhat foggy.

One of the chairs was shattered and laying on his side, but the room was otherwise untouched and, thankfully, the door was still firmly closed--and presumely locked. He sighed and flopped back on the bed. Arryn rubbed a hand over his face, hoping Sal and the others were alright. He'd have to get up and check to make sure, but he could do that in a moment... Maybe several moments.

When he finally got up, he grimaced. There was still blood on his face and clothing, probably his dagger. Arryn scowled and set about getting rid of the temptation. It took several long minutes to scrub the dried blood off his face and hands after stripping off, then he found fresh clothing, dressed, and cleaned his dagger.

Once done, he felt much better. Arryn gave the broken chair a lingering look and sighed. He was going to have to tell Sal about it. He wasn't sure how Sal's mother would take it, but then again... It wasn't the first time he'd broken things--or killed someone--in the Kestral. It also wasn't the first time that the men and women of the Kestral had covered things up for him. He rubbed a hand over his face and slipped out the door. He'd let Sal know on his way out. She wouldn't mind cleaning it up for him--even if he would prefer to do it himself.

~~~
The Silent House

The Silent House was quiet when he entered it, hood pulled up over his head. No one had paid attention to him as he'd wandered through the temple gates and into the Silent House, and no one gave him a second glance. He ducked his head as noble passed by, obviously having just paid his respects to either a mistress or a child he didn't want to claim.

Arryn swallowed, drifting towards the statue of the Mother at the back, and then turned right. Lavender and myrrh incense seemed to smother him for a moment, until he passed through the short passageway into the alcove he'd been looking for.

The bodies from last time had been removed--probably to be burnt or buried in the mass grave that Temple kept in the southern part of the temple's grounds. He grimaced. There was only one new body there now, and even the incense couldn't reach the alcove he was in. He didn't need to check the body to see the message the Guild had left him. It was scrawled across the wall in blood, still slick and fresh as the candelight flickered over it.

You Have Failed Us
And We Will Not Stop Hunting You.

Arryn sighed, staring up at the message. He frowned at it for a moment, then he scowled and turned away. He had better disappear before anyone walked in on him, especially with the message on the wall. He turned away, glanced towards the body briefly, and then slipped back out into the main hall of the Silent House. With on last glance back towards the alcove he'd just left, Arryn made his way back out into the city.

~~~
The Markets

The Markets were busy when he finally reached them, drifting aimlessly. He knew he'd upset the Guild when he had failed to die--but he had completed his task. Telling him that he'd failed them was ridiculous. Was it just because he refused to die? Or was it because they 'd been expecting him to fail, to die? Arryn wasn't sure, and he didn't particularly care. He could protect himself if they came for him. He was a blood mage. He didn't need to cower and hide--alright, maybe he needed to cower and hide just a little bit.

He got so caught up in his thoughts that he hadn't been watching where he was going and suddenly found himself in the middle of a fight between a female guard and a bunch of thugs. He barely saw the fist coming towards his face. She stopped just a second shy of hitting him. In the exact same second, he ducked to avoid it.

''Watch it!'' the guard barked, startling him into dancing out of reach of her and the thug.

He watched them fight for a moment, then ducked into the fray. He made a split-second decision not to use his magic, and instead used his slim frame to his advantage, slipping behind the thug that the guard had been fighting. He grabbed a handful of the thug's hair and jerked his head back, dagger in hand.

"I can look after myself," he growled, and slit the man's throat, glad the man had no magic whatsoever. The last thing he needed was the influx of power, and the outcome of that, in front of a guard. "Which is good luck for you."
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:30 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Adrid Lith

Adrid was patrolling the markets when a young woman with bright red hair bumped into her. ''Sorry,'' she huffed. She turned her head sharply, and Adrid looked in that direction as well, to find three men had been following the girl.
She turned back to Adrid, and looked up into her yellow eyes.
''Guard, Sir, these men attacked me, threatened my life- you must help me.''

Adrid nodded down at her. ''Stay close to me, and you'll be fine.''

The three men came up, and the bearded one pointed at the red haired girl.
''That girl is a mage, and it is our right to punish her,'' he growled.

Adrid held her spear at the ready, but didn't make a show of it. She didn't want to provoke them further. ''Regardless of what she may be, no one has the right to take the law into their own hands. Has she committed a crime against you?'' she spoke calmly, but firmly.

The taller one said, ''She's a mage. There's no telling what evil things-''

''To you. Do you have proof of anything she has done to you,'' said Adrid.
They looked flustered for a moment. Adrid took the opportunity.
''It appears to me that you have nothing to accuse this girl of. And if you did, you'd be right to bring it up with the Guard, not to take matters into your own hands.''

''These are dark days, when you can't stop the mages that live among us,'' said the bearded one again, spitting on the ground.

Adrid stood firm. ''You have attacked an innocent girl, and you are all under arrest.''

Another guard had heard the commotion, and came up to help. It was Galbraith.
''Need a hand, Adrid?'' he asked. She nodded, handing him her spear so she could cuff the men.

''I could use that,'' she said. She cuffed the first one.

But the bearded one saw that he had a chance while Adrid wasn't holding her spear.
He ducked down and swung a kick at her legs. It threw her off, and she fell to the ground.
She rolled to the side to avoid a second blow, before she got up. She hit him hard in the side of the head with the shield strapped to her left arm. The force knocked him back, and he staggered, disoriented.

''Do you-'' she heard Galbraith call.

''No!'' she yelled back. ''Take the first, leave the others to me.''

He handed Adrid's spear to the red haired girl, and took his charge away.
Adrid held her shield up, waiting in a ready stance. The man swung a punch at her, and she twirled to the left to dodge it, hitting him again with her shield as she came around.

Adrid took a second to look over to the redhaired girl while the man recovered from the hit. She was waiting for an opening, to hand back her spear. But the man recovered quickly, and they were soon exchanging blows again. He was slower now, but he was hitting harder, and a few of them met their mark.
Adrid staggered back, dazed momentarily by a solid punch to the face. She moved to return the blow, and saw a young man with dirty blond hair had appeared between them.
She stopped just a second shy of hitting him. In the exact same second, he realised where he was and ducked to avoid it.

''Watch it!'' she barked.

The young man pulled back, just watching for a moment. Adrid was briefly distracted by the girl tossing her the spear. She caught it and turned back in time to find the man lunging for her--but then the blonde-haired young man was behind the thug, and had pulled him back.
''I can look after myself,'' he growled, before slitting his throat from behind. ''Which is good luck for you.''

Adrid's eyes widened in surprise, and then squinted beadily.
That did make things easier. Though it was alarming, how easily and cleanly he had done it.
Adrid looked around to check on the redhaired girl, to find that the second thug was coming at her. She cursed herself for being so waylaid with the others that he made it past.
The young man was already heading that way, though--but then he hesitated, glancing between the thug and the redhaired girl. She pushed the thug in his direction without seeming to touch the man, and he grabbed the thug around the waist. Adrid ran over to arrest him while he was still restrained.

She then addressed the young man with the dirty blond hair, handing the thug off to Galbraith as he returned with another guard. ''What is your name?''

He frowned at her, squinting apprehensively and shifting his weight.
The young man very clearly did not want to tell her anything. If Adrid didn't know any better, she'd think he was waiting for a moment to disappear on her. Galbraith and the other guard took the thug away.

''It's just routine, for the report. You won't be charged for the man you killed. For your service, I'll say in this report that he attacked you first. There's nothing to be afraid of.''

He muttered something lowly, shrugging. Adrid squinted at him. He glowered back.

''All right, I'll give you my name. Adrid Lith.'' She tilted her head in his direction, waiting for a response.

After a long moment, he sighed. "Arryn."

Adrid nodded. She wasn't getting anything more from him. ''All right. Thank you for your help, Arryn.'' She turned to the redhaired girl. ''And you?''

''Asha Lovita,'' she said.

''Are you hurt?'' Adrid asked.

She shook her head, and mumbled, ''No.''

''Did you know those men?''

Asha frowned and shrugged. "No, they just attacked me."

''Where did this occur?'' Adrid asked her.

"I-I was just w-walking and....." She trailed off with a grimace, and abruptly collapsed. Adrid swore, and swung around to look for Arryn. He'd vanished while she had been speaking to Asha. She sighed, and shook her head. Then she bent down, picked Asha up, and began to carry her back to the Guard's Quarters.
Last edited by SirenCymbaline on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:46 am
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Prince Quintus Dharshan Ahr'Man

Quint started to whistle a tune as e stepped in front of the three men, blocking their path. Suddenly one threw something in the air, and as he instinctively jumped back, they blew past him.

Quint turned to give chase, running after them as fast as he could. As he was running through the market, he saw the one of the men he had just met running towards him, cuffed, a Dragon Guard in hot pursuit. Market goers rushed to get out of the way as the chase ensued.

As the man tried to run past him, Quint tripped him and he fell flat on his face. The Guard, whom Quint recognized as Galbraith, came up and pulled the man to his feet.

Quint put a hand on her wrist, saying, "Just a moment, guar-" before Galbraith slapped him across the face, hissing "Who do you think you are, you filthy shit!"

Quint stumbled back, slightly disoriented before pulling down the hood of his cloak, and there was a collective gasp from the crowd around him, the thug and Galbraith himself.

Adrid immediately bowed low, his Guard cloak scraping the mud of the street. "My most high and venerable lord, I humbly apologize for my inexcusably act and may I respectfully beg for whatever mercy you can bestow?"

Quint sighed. "Oh, get up, soldier, it was a misunderstanding. But remember to ask before striking in the future."

The guard looked up, seeming quite lost for a moment before stumbling to his feet. "Yes, your majesty." she muttered hastily, bowing her head.

He then grabbed the thug and, along with Quint strode down the road, crowds respectfully parting ways before the Prince, who tossed a coin in the cup of every beggar he moved past, knowing that keeping public opinion on his side was essential to bringing people together.

Soon, they came to a unit of guards, and Quint saw that the thugs had already been put into prison carriage, and Galbraith shoved the last one in and closed the door.

The guards bowed before him, the captain of the patrol muttering, "Your majesty, it is an honor to be graced with your presence. But please, my lord, why have you come so far from the palace? It is not safe."

Quint smiled slightly. "I wanted a walk."

----

On Quint's insistence, the red haired girl was brought to the court physician. Quint Mae sure she was well caed for before returning to his quarters.

Quint slumped at his desk, burying his head in his arms. Suddenly there was a knock at the door, and he immediately sat up, erect. "Come in." called the Prince.

The door creaked open to reveal Adrid, bowing low, with Torrin at his side, who, after a glare from Adrid, gave a slight bow of his own.

"My Lord, I have brought-"

"Yes, Adrid, I can see him. Thank you of bringing him. Torrin, do come in." said Quint.

Torrin stepped in, and promptly sat down in a chair by the desk. Adrid immediately glowered, gritting her teeth and muttering, "You don't sit in front of-"

Quint raised a hand, "Really, Adrid, it's quite alright. Thank you for your service. Now please tell Spymaster Barron to send Zephyr Sails to the Council Dinner. I have to talk to him. And I'll need you present too."

Adrid bowed. "As you wish." she said before leaving the room.

Quint turned his chair to face the strange white haired mage. "I'm glad you made it." he said with a smile. "I hope the guards didn't give you any trouble."

"None at all" replied Torrin with a slight smile. "

"Good." said the Prince. "Now, I have a special position that I'd like you to fill."

Torrin's eyes widened with curiosity. "A mage working directly for the Prince? My, my. Do tell me more."

"I'd like you to be my unofficial adviser on Mage affairs."

"And what would that entail?" asked Torrin.

"Your job would be to report on the mages in my populace, and their problems. You would have to report to me directly and have a pass to enter and leave the palace during daylight hours. And you would have a one on the council. But there is no need to file official reports or deal with superior officers."

Torrin laughed. "And why do you think I would be the one to hand this job? You don't even know me."

Quint replied seriously, "When I saw you save that woman yesterday, risking your life for an innocent, I knew you are a man who can be trusted to work for the peoples best interests. I need the help of men like you. I'm doing my best but I don't seem to be affecting much."

Torrin nodded. "Alright, I accept."

"Wonderful!" said Quint, clapping his hands together. "If you would forgive for being so eager, I have a matter I'd like you to look into."

Torrin, with a bemused grin, said, "Go on."

"A blood mage has recently murdered four men at the Golden Pony Tavern near he West Gate. A street boy who saw the whole thing while hidden reported it. Now, this puts me in a conundrum, as the tavern on the border of the slums and the merchant district, so both the Dragon Guard and the City Guard claim jurisdiction. Not to mention that as this is an investigative search for a mage, the Order has also claimed the case. And if we start looking for a mage openly, I fear that the violent conflict will be even worse."

"I see." sad Torrin, his eyebrows furrowing. "So what part do I have to play in all this?"

Quint clasped his hands together. "I want you to be the main investigator. You would be working with Adrid, the guard who brought you here, as I want her to learn to accept you, and Zephyr Sails, an Order Agent who the City Guard Captain said is a man whom he can work with. Do you accept?"

Torrin chuckled. "Work with an Order agent and a Dragon Guard at the same time, who maintaining peace between mages and non-mages and satisfying the City Guard?"

He's right. It's a crazy plan. thought Quint as his eyes fell, but then Torrin laughed and said, "Sounds fun. I'm in."

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:48 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Princess Emberly Siatara Ahr'Man | Sankarian Womens Parlor

After a long day of meetings and long conversations with the visiting funeral patrons, Emberly eventually took leave to the Women’s parlor. She sat alone at the piano in the dimly lit room, and began playing a soft tune over and over again. No matter how many times she played it, it never seemed to have an ending.

“Foolish.” Emberly thought to herself as she clenched her fists. She sighed in frustration plucking at the notes once again.

Now was not a time for Emberly to work on her music, but what else was she to do? She yearned for a conversation that did not consist of pity and condolences. She yearned for a chance to feel useful, and not like a sad doll on display. Quint would never ask any more of her in this time of mourning, but she was done sitting around.

A knock at the door stole Emberly’s attention away from the piano. Guards pulled the double doors apart to reveal two women in the doorway. There stood a common maid, and behind her a beautiful woman dressed in an elegant blue dress. She appeared to be a few years older than Emberly, and the way she carried herself proved to her appearance as a high class lady. There was something oddly familiar about the young woman.

“Excuse me your highness?” The young maid spoke timidly. “I don't mean to intrude.”

“No of course not.” Emberly replied walking over to the doorway. “How can I help you?”

“May I present Lady Charnette Arys Delfan. She has been anointed as your new handmaiden.” The young maid gestured to the woman behind her.
“Of course. Thank you.” Emberly smiled, and the maid retreated leaving them alone. The strange woman came forward and curtsied to Emberly with a kind smile.

“It is a pleasure to meet you your highness.”

“And to you Lady Charnette.” Emberly curtsied in return.

“My condolences for your parents passing. I know it must have been quite the shock.”

“It has been. But, we mustn't let these hard times stop the world from spinning.”

“Agreed. If you wouldn’t mind I would greatly appreciate a chance to sit down and talk. I know you’ve probably had a long day, but after all you will be seeing quite a lot of me from now on.” She chuckled. Emberly smiled.

“Of course. Why don't you have a seat, and I will call for some hot tea. I know the rain these past couple of days has caused quite a chill to linger throughout the palace.” Emberly gestured to one of the cushioned seats positioned throughout the parlor.

“That sounds perfect. Thank you.” Charna said taking a seat. Emberly sat as well, and raised a hand to gesture to the maid standing at the edge of the doorway.

“If you could, please prepare a serving of tea for Lady Charnette and I.” She gently ordered.

“Yes milady.” The young maid quickly curtsied and exited the room.

“By the way your highness.” Charna quickly spoke as Emberly turned back to her. “If you don't mind. Please, call me Charna.”

“Of course.” Emberly complied. They both smiled.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Charna | Sankarian Womens Parlor - Yaskan Palace

Charna made polite small talk with the Princess, studying her intently when she thought the Princess wasn't looking. Emberly was...interesting. And making her head ache. She tried to not to focus too intently on the princess--or Emberly's lack of magic--and kept her irritatingly charming personality. She was too nice. It annoyed Charna.

They talked about the weather--a constant, relentless downpour--and about tea, about the late king and queen, about Quint. Little, meaningless things that wouldn't bother them too much. She made her half-sister smile a few times, and Emberly ducked her head, blushing a little. A little flirting goes a long way, she thought, perhaps a little smugly. And really, she shouldn't be flirting with her sister, but it was amusing to see her half-sister's reactions to all the flattery.

Eventually, though, Charna had to leave--and she did so very respectfully. Excusing herself politely and retreating from the room. The twenty minute walk back to her rooms was painful and undertaken in morose silence. The pounding in her head had worsened and she was lucky to make it back without stumbling.

She had felt it coming all day. It had been brewing since she'd woke up, and Charna wasn't surprised. In fact, she'd been expecting it. Which was why she was now pacing back and forth across her room while Brigid looked on. The girl had allowed her time to relax before trying to outline some meeting with some noble's boy for her. Charna had stopped listening several minutes ago. She kept twisting part of her skirt around between her hands, wringing it thoroughly until the delicate fabric was wrinkled beyond belief.

"Brigid," she warned, but the servant kept talking over her. Charna sighed and whirled away again. When Brigid was on a roll like that, there was no stopping her. She paced towards the window and looked outside without seeing anything for a moment before pacing back towards her dressing table. It was becoming hard to breathe.

Charna leaned on the dressing table, hands planted firmly apart and panting hard. She felt the anger clawing at her gut, the frustration, and the magic welling up beneath her skin. It had been so infuriating listening to them, to the princess and her brother. All the prince ever wanted to talk about were those stupid, useless reforms. They were causing more harm than good, and their sister... Charna shook her head firmly, trying to shake off the rising noise in her head.

You could break her neck, make her stop... It would be so easy...

The maid was still saying something. Charna had stopped listen. All it did was serve to add to the unsettled state she was in. She'd had enough; she straighten up, snatching a nearby vase as she did so, and turned to throw it at Brigid. The girl squawked as it sailed past her hear and hit the wall. The noise it made as it shattered was satisfying for Charna to hear.

"Get out, Brigid," she snapped, watching the girl flinch and duck sideways. Her fingers itched for something else to throw, but she reigned in the urge. When the girl didn't move, she shouted, "GET OUT!"

Brigid scurried towards the door, obviously terrified. Charna took a few deep breaths and turned away, trying to push the anger down. The door opened and closed--Brigid leaving--and then she heard the whispering outside in the hall. Her anger grew again, and she picked up something else--a hairbrush--and threw it at her reflection in the mirror. It shattered, and she closed her eyes, satisfied by the sound it made--which only fed the rising anger and the voices in her head.

You should have broken the girl's neck, a little voice whispered, trickling into her thoughts like oil. Charna tried to shake it off. She'd almost succeeded when she heard the door open again. If someone had knocked, she didn't hear it.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

59 Reviews

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:12 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Adrid Lith

The floors were shiny, the tables were long, and the high ceilings had nice drapes.
Adrid didn't see the point in arranging a whole council dinner to brief people when the palace had a perfectly fine war room, but the royals had their preferences.

Prince Quintus made his rounds with the councilmen, and stopped in front of Adrid.
Thankfully, he skipped the preamble.
''Four men were murdered outside the Golden Pony Tavern near the West Gate. A street boy who saw it said he was a young man with blond hair, though he didn't see his face. We believe the killer was a blood mage.''
Adrid went pale for a few seconds. The image of Arryn slitting a throat flashed in her mind.
''A blond young man, my lord?''
''Yes. And I am tasking you and Torrin with the investigation.''

Prince Quintus inclined his head toward Torrin, who waved from his corner. Adrid blanched again. ''The...the ice mage?'' she said in disbelief.
''Yes, the ice mage.'' he asserted. ''Your experience and authority, with his ablilities and knowledge of magic-you'll make a good team. I am confident that that you can find him together.
Are you feeling ill? You look ill.''
Adrid snapped into focus. ''I'm fine, my lord. I will gladly take up this mission, and you can be rest assured I will do no less than my best to find this murderer.''
''In that, I have no doubt.'' said Quint. ''What I want you to assure me of is that you'll work with Torrin as you would a fellow soldier.''
Adrid met his questioning look with stalwart stoicism.
''Upon your word, your highness, I'll swear he's my brother.''
At this, the prince smiled, then excused himself to go and brief Zephr.

Once his back was turned, Adrid frowned indignantly and strode over to Galbraith.
''Are you in trouble?'' he asked. Adrid covered her face with her hand, dragging it down with her palm. '''I don't believe this.'' she groaned. ''I let him off. I let him off because I didn't want to arrest any more people at once than I had to- I mean really, who can be bothered- and then it turns out he's a potential mass murderer that I let off the hook on a whim. Goddess, don't let it be him.''
Galbraith gave a low whistle. ''Wow.''
''I wish it was just that. I've been ordered to investigate with that ice mage I arrested some days ago. He's never going to let me live that down. I know it. I can feel him smiling at me from over there.'' ''He's coming over.'' Galbraith observed.

"I see that the hands of fate have once again bound us together in their steely bonds," Torrin said in a melodramatic fashion before a grin spread across his features once again. "Or simply that the Prince wants you to start liking me."

''I would like you, if I had to, but those weren't my orders. My orders are to work with you, and that is all.''

Torrin slowly put his hands up with a mock display of shock. "Okay, Dragon Guard Adrid. Purely business," he said before breaking out into his grin once again. "So as a purely business relation....who pays for lunch? Is there like an experienced partner rule I need to be aware of?"

They left the hall with Adrid giving a dejected shake of her head and Torrin almost skipping behind her.

''The prince wasn't clear, so I take it we're on equal footing. Of course with me being the authority on the investigative process, and you being the authority in mage tracking...''

''That doesn't answer my question about lunch,'' Torrin interjected.

Adrid sighed. ''As equal partners, we'll take turns," she said resentfully.
''Now, what can you do?''

''I can make ice.'' Torrin said proudly.

''I know you can make ice. But you're useless to me if you can't track.'' said Adrid.

"All mages can track," Torrin replied. "It is simply a matter of how much magic the person we are tracking used. Mages can sense one another and the presence of their magic, much like trackers follow animal tracks. I can't connect one set of magic tracks to a person, but I can follow it and see where they went for as long as they were using magic. Of course, we could always go with your approach of holding them at spear point until they spill their guts.....figuratively speaking."

''I need your skills to make sure we have the right person before we get to the spear pointing.'' Adrid admitted.

"Well, I will help as best I can. Given the gravity of the situation." Torrin absently juggled a few snowflakes in his hand as he looked around the buildings that they passed.

When they found the alley behind the Golden Pony, they were greeted by the smell of decay, the decay of food, plants, and meat, possibly human as well as animal. It was hard to tell.
Even the blood had sunk into the mud between the cobblestones, as indiscernible as old beer.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:59 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Torrin

Torrin let the flakes of ice dissipate into nothing as his nose caught the unmistakable smell of blood. His usually light hearted features took a subtle tone of seriousness. He could sense a faint trace of magic and without a word he strode into the cobblestone alley.

He knelt down, his white coat resting in the muck but not gaining a stain of dirt on it. His fingers feathering the stones outside the open window. A smear of blood on the wall having turned a dark brown as it dried. "The killer made his escape this way," Torrin said.

"Yeah," Adrid agreed. "With the bar maid inside walking in on the killer. It would be the most logical option."

"There was a witness other than the street boy?"

"Yeah, a bar maid inside opened the door and saw the killer standing over the bodies before rushing down the alley."

"Odd," Torrin said, his brow furrowing as he started moving further into the alley.

"What?"

"Well if I were a mass murderer, I wouldn't want to leave anyone that could have seen me alive. But this one not only left four bodies, he left a girl that saw him escape. Doesn't sound like a cold blooded killer to me."

Torrin made a turn around the corner and paused. "Why'd you stop?" asked Adrid.

"Magic trail ends here. If I had to guess, our killer continued down the alley into the open area. But I don't sense him having used his magic after this. Which means that he was able to pass a lot of people without them noticing any blood on him."

I really hope whoever this is isn't affiliated with The Guild, Torrin thought to himself.

"Dead end," Adrid sighed. "Let's take a look at the bodies, see if we can make sense of what happened."

Returning to the bodies littering the alley, Torrin stepped carefully around the pools of blood on the ground as he began to examine the bodies.

"So...what exactly is a Blood Mage?" Adrid asked, moving to the side.

"The simple version of it is that where an Ice Mage, like myself, can control ice, Blood mages are able to do the same with blood," Torrin replied.

''Well, yes,'' Adrid huffed. ''But...how do they gain power from it? what does...what does it do?'' her voice seemed to grow a bit more fearful with each word, as much as she was trying to tone it down.

Looking up to Adrid, Torrin mulled it over in his head to try and explain it. "Blood is a physical form of life. You can almost think of life as a power source. When a Blood Mage kills they, temporarily, gain strength from the life that they have....absorbed through the blood." Torrin explained, his voice gaining a tone of wisdom and knowledge that seemed to betray his rather youthful features. "But there is a...catch to that kind of power."

"What catch?"

"The more people they kill, the more of their sanity is lost," Torrin said with an almost sad tone. "It's also addictive. Like a drug. Once they have a little they want more and the hunger slowly grows until it consumes them."

Adrid's eyes grew wider as Torrin spoke, and once he stopped, she realised she had been gripping her right arm. She let it fall.

"How do you know all this?" Adrid inquired as Torrin stood.

"I've known a few Blood Mages turned dormant in my time," Torrin answered before stepping closer to the wall for a different perspective. "They often described it as a voice in their heads that would almost seem to have a consciousness. Of course, it only ever talked about one thing."

"Blood?" Adrid asked, trying to steady her voice. Torrin nodded before he looked at the bodies once more.

"From a Guard's perspective, what do you see wrong here?" Torrin asked.

Adrid squinted at the bodies. "They don't have any defensive wounds that would indicate a struggle."

"No bindings. No bruises. No blood magic."

"How do you know that?"

"Blood magic has a very strong trace when it is used and their blood is pooled around them from bleeding out. There isn't a drop of it anywhere else. So if this was a Blood Mage, they are relatively young and fighting against using their magic if they can help it. But look at these guys. They're big, well muscled, and probably been in a fight or two," Torrin moved a few pieces of clothing and pulled out a few knives, "and armed. What was the description of the killer?"

''Young man, blond hair.'' Adrid recited.

"So how did he lure four men like this and then kill them with little to no fight without any binding magic? Blood or otherwise? This doesn't read like a murder."

''I don't think he wanted them to follow him.''

"This was self-defense. These four were here to kill him and he fought back. If it were night time this alley would be relatively dark. With a small trace of magic, he likely used an illusion spell to keep hidden and then surprised them."

''What good is his description, then, if he could make himself look like anyone?'' Adrid asked with some frustration.

''I doubt he could have entirely changed his appearance and held the image for that long, under that kind of pressure. Illusion magic takes a great deal of focus and calm that takes years to master."

"Let's talk to the barmaid. See who normally frequents the place."

"I'm not too familiar on the good guard/bad guard routine. But I get the feeling I would be better at the good guard," Torrin says with a small smile as he closed the door.

"You're not a guard, so keep your mouth shut," Adrid said with an annoyed glance over her shoulder. Torrin simply shrugged as they made their way back to the front of the building. The sign of the Golden Pony swinging with a soft squeak in the wind.

Stepping in, Torrin was greeted with a room full of chairs and tables that currently sat empty. In the far corner he could see the girl, whom he had guessed walked in on the killer. Her eyes were distant and faded, like she was still reliving the experience.

"What do you know about the person that the young woman saw?" Adrid said moving up to the bar.

"Nothin' much I'm afraid. I wasn't here during the night. Annabelle there was," the woman said with a nod to the nearly catatonic girl in the corner.

"In her state she isn't going to be saying much," Torrin stated.

"The men that were killed, do you know anything about them?" Adrid asked.

"Can't say that I have ever seen them around here," the barmaid answered.

"Don't you have any information that can help us find this murderer?"

"And why do you assume he's a murderer? How do ya know that those men were lookin' for a mage to kill. You Dragon Guard always seem quick to point your fingers at the mages."

"I'm attempting to catch a...." Adrid began before Torrin put a hand on her shoulder. With a friendly smile he stepped forward.

"You're right. We don't know he's a murderer. But we have four dead men near your establishment and we need to know what happened," Torrin said getting the barmaid's attention on him. "Now personally...I don't think he killed those men in cold blood." Torrin idly traced a pattern of ice on the counter. "I think that however was in that alley was scared and felt the need to defend himself. But the Prince has asked that I, an Ice Mage, assist in finding the young man so that we can find discover the truth. So is there anything that you can tell us that might be of help?"

The barmaid's features softened as Torrin spoke to her and she gave a sigh. "We have a few regular patrons that fit the description of the person that the street boy saw."

"Young man with blonde hair?" Torrin asked.

The barmaid nodded. "Do you remember any names?" Adrid asked, attempting to keep the irritation out of her voice.

"Well there is Decard, a sweet woodsman's son. Then of course there is Gavlin and Bavlin. Not sure why their parents named them so similar. Frethnin, Thomas, Arryn, Gregor, Colin...."

"Did you say Arryn?" Adrid asked quickly.

"Aye, very polite fellow. Always pays his due. Drifts in here from time to time."

"Do you happen to know where he might be at right now?" Torrin asked, sensing that there was something that Adrid knew that he didn't.

"If I had to guess he would be at The Spotted Kestrel. It's a brothel deep into the slums. They're known for being very accepting of mages."

"I know the place," Adrid said. "Been called there more than once to get rid of a few loud mouthed citizens."

"Thanks," Torrin said with a smile. "You may have saved the young man's life."

Adrid stepped out with Torrin in tow as they started down the street. "Turns out I'm pretty good at the good guard routine," Torrin chuckled.

"Will you quit joking around? This is serious," Adrid hissed at him.

"Maybe you should lighten up. Life isn't all gloom and rain."

"Listen. The Spotted Kestrel can be a really rough brothel. If you aren't prepared you might not make it out alive."

"I thought they were known for being very accepting of mages. What do I have to worry about?" Adrid turned to spit out something, but she went quiet. The look on her face showed that she hadn't thought about that detail.

"Dragon Guard Adrid!" A young man said running up to them.

"Whoa! Slow down. Where's the fire?" Torrin asked.

"I have a news that might be of interest to your investigation. I was told to deliver the information immediately to you."

"Well, let's have it," Adrid said.

"There was vandalism in the Silent House. Someone wrote on the walls in blood," the messenger reported.

"What does that have to do with my...our investigation?" Adrid said.

"The senior officer believes that it may involve the Guild."

Torrin stiffened a little as it sounded like his worry was becoming a reality. "The Silent House is on the way to The Spotted Kestrel. We can stop in and see what we can find."

Torrin gave a nod as they began down the road once more. "So how do you know this Arryn?" Torrin suddenly asked.

"What?" Adrid asks.

"Back at The Golden Pony you recognized the name. So how do you know him?"

''Yesterday I took a few men away for attacking a woman. One of them came up behind me and someone helped me. He fit the description, and I've seen him slit a throat cleaner than anyone in the gaurd could. He said his name was Arryn.'' Adrid told the story in very brief detail.

Torrin's eyes goggled. ''And you let him off?''

Adrid opened her mouth in protest, ready to justify herself, but unable to think of any good excuses, so she closed it again. ''Yes, I did.'' she admitted quietly.

Torrin patted her head, ruffling her hair a little.

''Do not worry, good comrade, for we shall find this ruffian, and restore your honour.''

Adrid smacked his hand away. ''We don't know it's him,'' she growled.

''But all the same, we'd best keep an eye out. He's even smarter than I thought."

"Why do you say that?"

"What better way to hide the blood on your clothes than to kill someone about to attack a guard right in front of said guard? In the moment, who would be able to see the different between old and new blood?"

Adrid stared at Torrin for a long moment as they made their way inside the temple.

59 Reviews

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:25 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Adrid Lith
The Silent House

Adrid did not like the Silent House. The long stone passages were lit by burning torches, filled with the powerful smell of incense, and punctuated by the odd sound of dripping water. The gloom suited Adrid too well, and being aware of it, she liked it all the less.

The smallest of sounds became echoes. This created an atmosphere, sombre and forbidding, that made one hesitant to speak. Even Torrin seemed to feel it.
He was unusally quiet as they passed through the main hall.
''I think we should split up.'' Adrid said in a low voice.

''Not a chance,'' said Torrin. ''There's too many rooms we could lose each other in.''

''It will take too long if we go together, and I don't want to stay here any longer than we need to.'' said Adrid.

Torrin gave in, and nodded. ''We'll meet back here if we can't find each other.''

Adrid began to scour the rooms to the left of the hall, and Torrin took the rooms on the right.
In a minute that felt like much longer, she found the message, in the last alcove in that way.

You Have Failed Us
And We Will Not Stop Hunting You

Adrid leaned in closer, and lightly traced the flaking edge of the first letter. It was the brown of dried blood. ''It's here,'' she called out. She heard Torrin's footsteps following the sound of her voice bouncing around the room, and he stumbled in with a look of anticipation.

"Charming," Torrin said, crossing his arms over his chest. "So, what do you think? Crazy ex-girlfriend?"

''I believe the Guild left this,'' Adrid said gravely. ''They have no more mercy for their own than those they prey upon.''

"Yeah, they are definitely not known for their charity work."

''It seems this was left for an operative of theirs who failed in his mission. The only question is if it's the man we're looking for.'' Adrid looked at Torrin. ''Do you think the killer we're looking for was part of the Guild?''

"I hope not. But if he is, it makes sense why four well built and armed men were going after a young lad. They obviously underestimated who they were going against," Torrin sighed.

''The sooner we find him, the better. I'll sleep easier knowing why all this happened.''

"Glad to hear that. Cause from what I can tell, you don't sleep much to begin with. Not with that grumpy attitude," Torrin smirked as he headed out of the room.

For once, Adrid didn't feel like fighting back. She just followed, tossing a coin to a temple attendant on the way out.

"Kind of a strange place to leave a message though. People come here all the time to see if their lost family is here." Torrin said thoughtfully.

Adrid stared silently at the ground for a moment, before averting her gaze to the path ahead.
''Obviously, the Guild has been leaving messages for their operatives here for some time. That's why they can expect this recipient to find it.'' she stated.

"Well, I am sure that will help with your future investigation of the Guild. But for now....let's talk lunch." Torrin furiously rubbed his hands together as if he was trying to start a fire. A grin of manic glee spread across his face.

''Wherever you want to go is fine.'' Adrid said distantly.

"Lizard tongues and cow gizzards it is!" Torrin exclaimed, trying to pull Adrid from her distant plane.

She perked up. An uncharacteristic smirk came across her face.
''I could eat a lizard's tongue if I wanted to.'' she said in a challenging sort of way. ''That is, if you're game.''

Torrin's brow arched and his smirk took on an impish light, "Now there's that soldier mentality I was looking for. Eat as many as we can in five minutes....loser pays?" Torrin put out his hand to seal the deal.

Adrid took his hand, still smiling. ''You're on.''

In the market district, they found a large stall with the cooked carcasses of dead creatures hanging from the posts. In a wooden bowl, rested the steaming fried lizard tongues between them.
''You actually knew where to find lizard tongues.'' said Adrid, a little surprised and impressed. ''I get around.'' said Torrin.

Adrid popped a tongue into her mouth and chewed it thoughtfully. After a few seconds, she said ''It could use more spice, I think.''

"It's somewhat of an acquired taste. But when these are all you have in the desert, you learn to eat everything." Torrin popped another into his mouth, giving it a chew before downing it. "Of course, at that time they weren't cooked, so this is a pleasant change."

Adrid raised an eyebrow, curious. ''You've really been around.'' she said, before taking another tongue.

"I choose to experience the world through my own eyes, not those of an explorer writing them down in a book. Some things get lost in the translation. Of course, I prefer the desert over growing up in the Frozen Peaks."

''Where? There are no villages that far North.'' Adrid said skeptically.

''There are, they're just not on the maps because...because they're too obscure for the mapmakers.'' said Torrin. ''Anyway, I left due to some...disagreements within my village."

"What kind of disagreements?" Adrid asked, sounding curious.

"I was arranged to marry this...shall we say zealously happy woman."

Adrid shook her head, her brow raised in amused disbelief. ''She can't be that bad.''

''You don't understand...She was even more playful and happy go lucky than I am.''

An expression of surprise and disgust crossed Adrid's face. ''Goddess. Really?''

''Really. But enough about me, where do you come from? I'm guessing that's a Valan accent you've got there?''

''...Yes.'' she said, a perplexed half frown forming on her face.

''Do you not like being asked about it?''

''No, just surprised. I don't get asked often. My accent isn't that thick.'' she said, a little self consciously.

"It isn't. I've just been around." Finishing the last of the lizard tongues Torrin wiped his mouth clean with a rag. "Well, shall we go?"

''Pay up first. We both know I won.'' Adrid replied with the faintest trace of cheer in her voice, as if she and Torrin had been friends for a long time.

Torrin chuckled, and threw his hands up in defeat. "Getting me to talk about myself to keep me from eating. I am impressed." He reached into his pouch and dropped two dazzling sapphires on the table.

Adrid gave him a strange look. ''Where do those keep coming from?''

"Where do what keep coming from?" Torrin said innocently.

''Jewels. You throw jewels around like you can pull them out of the air.'' Adrid said tersely.

"Maybe I can," Torrin responded with a grin. "Or maybe I have a means of conjuring them from the tiniest speck of dust." Torrin's smirk only grew as he stood up.

Adrid shook her head. ''Now you're just making fun of me.'' She looked ahead, and her face became serious again. ''Right. To the Kestrel.''

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:29 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Torrin

The brothel that the pair of sleuths arrived at was a rather old building deep in the slums. Three floors of dirty glass and sun bleached boards greeted them. The unfriendly looks that they were getting from those that they passed put Torrin on edge. Adrid looked tense as her eyes darted about to try and keep an eye on everyone at the same time.

The sign out front gave a soft squeak each time it swung on the hinge of the iron bar. The front adorned with the carved image of a kestrel and the words The Spotted Kestrel painted in white beneath it.

"You aren't gonna like this...but I think that I should go in there alone," Torrin said, giving Adrid a glance.

"You're funny, mage," Adrid responded curtly.

"You want to try and get answers from a place that is known for being friendly toward mages and hinders the investigations of the Dragon Guard at every turn? How do you think that your presence is going to help the situation?"

Torrin could see Adrid's jaw clench in frustration.

"Fine. Just don't embarrass me or the Prince's name."

Torrin gave a small wave as he pushed the door open into the brothel. He was immediately assaulted with the music and laughter from the inside. The small entry way had a few tables where men waited impatiently for their turns. The sounds of pleasured voices came rolling down from upstairs.

A smirk spread over Torrin's features as he made his way further into the entry way. He could see a few barely clothed women in the room as well now. A couple were dancing, with a rhythmic sway of their hips, beside men with lecherous grins. Others sat close to men, their hands draped over the men that they were conversing with.

Torrin strode through the entry to a rather short woman with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes.

"I'm rather surprised that you aren't currently occupied. I would think that you would have men eager to spend time with you," Torrin smiled leaning down a little.

The woman's eyes narrowed. "Sal," she said. "Welcome to the Kestrel. How can I help you?"

Torrin chuckled a little. "Actually, I am looking for someone."

Sal's expression brightened and she smiled a slow, sly smile. "Oh? And who might that be?"

"I tend to like those closer to my age and not afraid of someone of my...talents." Torrin slowly traced his fingers over a table top, etching a design of ice onto the surface.

She lowered her gaze to the table and blinked. "Aaaah, I see." She flicked her gaze back up and grinned. "I can help you with that one!"

"I heard from a good friend that your establishment was quite welcoming to....my kind. And if everyone here is as pleasing to look at as the women around here, then it seems like a good time."

Sal pursed her lips. "So, what are you looking for? Blonde, brunette, redhead..." She trailed off suggestively, leaning over the table towards him and lowering her voice. "I'm certain there'd be someone I can suggest."

"As much as spending time with any of these women would be amazing. I am actually looking for that friend of mine. Goes by the name Arryn."

Sal frowned, expression closing down. "I don't know anyone by that name," she said flatly, crossing her arms over her chest. "But I can suggest a lovely dark-haired young man who might appeal to you--"

Torrin quickly waved his hand. "I'm sure he is a...colorful character. But my preference is more toward women. But I am really looking for Arryn. I'm afraid that he might have gotten himself in trouble."

She snorted. "There is no one here by that name," she repeated. "If you'd like, I could call for the madam?"

"Madam? My, my that would be an honor. Would she have time for a simple ice mage like myself?"

"Don't say that so loud," Sal hissed and pulled back. "She might." She glanced about for a moment, then nodded to herself. "I'll be right back." With that, Sal darted off towards the stairs.

Torrin watched as Sal quickly hurried up the stairs. Seems I hit a nerve, Torrin thought. I'll need to tred carefully from here on.

Sal returned a few minutes later, followed by an older blonde woman. They approached him swiftly and Sal stepped aside at a gesture from the older woman. She was obviously the madam. "I hear you're looking for company."

"In the mood for some. But it seems that the individual I am looking for is not here at the moment."

"And which individual would that be?"

"I'm looking for a friend of mine named Arryn."

The Madam went very still, brown eyes fixed on Torrin and narrowing dangerously. "Sal, be a dear and go fetch the boys, will you?"

"Yes, ma'am," Sal muttered and disappeared back up the stairs.

"Madam, as I told Sal...my particular interest is in women. But I am concerned about Arryn. Will he likely be among the...boys?"

The Madam grinned wickedly. "Who said anything about whores?" She tilted her head towards the stairs. "There is no one by that name here. I suggest you leave."

"Madam, I believe his life to be in danger. Please let me help him. I know that he is here regularly. I just want to help."

A dark, ugly expression crossed over the woman's face. She took a step forward and grabbed a handful of his jacket, hauling him in closer. "I said there is no one here by that name," she hissed. "Get. Out."

Torrin was about to say something more until he noticed the small group of rather large men that had collected at the base of the stairs. "Madam....I don't want to have an incident. But I have to try to find this man before something terrible happens to him."

"I said," she growled, raising her voice, "get out!"

Silence descended on the room. Torrin sighed and the Madam gave him a shove backwards, releasing him at the same time.

"If he isn't here, can you at least tell me where else I could find him? The Guild is after him and I need to --"

"Boys!"

"Ah hell," Torrin muttered.

It didn't take long for the two rather large men to grab Torrin and forcibly escort him to the door where they promptly tossed him into the nearest puddle of sewage. Torrin sat up and wiped a few drips from his cheek as he looked up to Adrid, who was now standing over him.

"What was that all about?"

"Oh...something about me having disgraced some lady's honor when I was a youngling," Torrin said standing up and brushing the dirt from his clothing.

Adrid frowned at him and spoke through her teeth, "Torrin!"

"I mentioned Arryn's name and they made it exceedingly clear I wasn't welcome in the brothel anymore."

Adrid frowned and squinted, thinking hard. Then she perked up suddenly. "Maybe she was stalling while he snuck out the back?"

The pair hurried around to the back and found... Nothing.

Adrid stared at the wall in disbelief.

''Well, we failed, but at least we've got each other.'' Torrin said. Adrid shifted her sullen stare to the ground.

''What was I thinking...a young man with blond hair. There's dozens of those in this city. Whoever he was, he was probably never here. The Guild must have him by now.''

She looked back at Torrin, still sounding dejected. ''You can go now, if you want. I'll go...report to the prince. Thank you for your help.''

Torrin shook his head. ''Do you take me for a quitter? I just got thrown out on my ass from a brothel with a lot of very good looking women. We'll make that report together.''

Adrid looked at him, surprised, but then her expression relaxed to something strangely humble. ''Of course.''

"But this time you pay for the food," Torrin chuckled before heading down the street.

Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus