Young Writers Society

Peculiarities: A fantasy storybook

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:00 pm
View Likes
Gymnast2801 says...

Blight Hottle

Blight jumped a little as the door opened, nervous. She knew they didn't know her power, how could they? But she still felt like they could, and wondered if they would let her stay. After all, everyone has to sleep, so what was keeping her from biting them?

As the door opened, Blight looked up at a woman she assumed was Miss Willow. She gave a shy, forced smile. "Hello, I'm Blight Hottle and I'm here because, well, I'm a peculiar child and I need a place where I'm safe."
If the world was blind, how many people would you impress?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:08 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

~Nero Sapienti~

As they made their way to what Nero assumed would be a mess hall, he quite literally ran into a very confused and lost looking boy. Nero couldn't clearly see the boy's eyes, but prior to their collision, he had been looking from one side to the other as he slowly made his way down the hallway. "Sorry," he awkwardly muttered as they both got to their feet.

"It's alright," the boy replied, his voice quiet. The shapeshifter had a sneaking suspicion that the boy wanted to get out of there as soon as possible from how he had begun to slowly walk away.

"i haven't met you before!" Ester piped up. "Are you new?"

The boy stared at the ground. "I'm new here, but I'm just staying until my sister gets better; she's in the infirmary right now with a cold." He pulled his hood down, shoving his pale hands into the pockets of his cat-eared hoodie. There was a tense silence. "Miss Willow said that I should go get pizza...could you, um, please show me where it is?"

Ester grinned at him. "Of course!" Nero glanced at María, but her face was unreadable. "I'm Ester Bishop!"

Realizing that Ester was trying to get them to introduce themselves, Nero said, "My name is Nero Sapienti." He couldn't put his finger on what felt off about the new arrival, but he was sure that something wasn't right.

"I'm María Romero."

The boy froze for a second before speaking. "I'm Briar Cooper...my sister's name is Natalie, but I always call her Nat."

The youngest of the group started to lead them all towards the pizza, but then she suddenly stopped in her tracks and turned around. "I almost forgot to introduce you to Dan!" she exclaimed. She looked beside her, most likely expecting to see Dan. However, the dog was cowering back where they had started. He whimpered as Ester approached. "What's wrong, Dan?"

"I'm sorry," Briar suddenly apologized. Nero's attention shifted to him; what was he apologizing for? "He's scared of me. I'm really sorry - if you just tell me how to get to the pizza, I'll go and get there on my own."

Nero stared. "Why would you assume he's scared of you?"

Briar looked away. "It's my...powers. They're really weak - Nat is stronger than me - but they always scare animals. It's been like that for as long as I can remember." Upon realizing that Nero wanted him to say what his powers were, he added, "I can create illusions and create fire."

He's lying. He didn't know why, but the boy was definitely lying about something he had just said. What could he possibly gain by doing so?
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:54 am
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Alix L McBeth
Alix looked at her closet, shaking her head and tutting to herself. The closet was a large one full of a variety of dresses and skirts. Alix was staring in disappointment in all of them.

"Oh, darlin, you are a failure," she said to herself, "All of these clothes are last season, but they are so fashionable." Alix took a sun dress out of her closet and studied it.

"Not this one," she decided, tossing it out of the already open window. She didn't care, to be honest. Clothes were clothes and the poor schmup who decided to take them out into public were going to suffer the consequences of judgement in the fashion world. Suddenly there was a knock at Alix's door. She left her closet and strode over, looking through the peephole to see who it was. There was Miss Willow, standing outside, waiting patiently for Alix to open the door.

"Ah, Miss Willow!" said Alix with a brilliant smile as she opened the door, "What bring you here?" Miss Willow nodded at Alix and started to speak.

"Alix, we have many new people here, some are quite shaken up from their journey's over. Would you mind going and introducing yourself? Raven had a tough time with it."

"Of course, Miss," Alix said, "I would love to meet these new beauties!" Miss Willow nodded and smiled.

"And, try not to be too assertive. They have had a really rough time." Alix nodded and skipped down the corridor. Hm. A way to get there faster, perhaps? Alix didn't know where they were, but she tried to sense their minds out in the sea of many. There! She pin pointed the location of three new minds and one older one. Giggling, she directed her focus onto getting there and with a flash of glitter, she disappeared and reappeared right in front of a boy. A very attractive boy, by Alix's standards. They both fell over and the rest of the group leaned in to look at what had just interrupted their meeting. There was Esther, the animal girl, another girl, and another boy with a hoodie.

"Oh pardon me, sweet cakes," said Alix cheerfully, bouncing up and reaching out a slender hand to the boy on the ground, " I sensed three new minds here and wanted to introduce myself!" Alix hoped she looked okay in her lacy white crop top, jean shorts and heels. Alix's hair was perfectly curled, just as she liked it and her complexion was near perfect. She was ideal for anyone brave enough to chase her.

Alix's peculiarity was strange. She could teleport by sensing the state of people's minds. However, she could also change genders as many times as she pleases. Each side was different, but equally as attractive. Her male side was as handsome as the moon and very muscular. Her feminine side was beautiful and sparkly with very flexible joints. It seemed as if Alix had it all, but it wasn't like that at all.

"I am so sorry, hunny," she said to the boy again, "My name is Alix!"
Will Solace IRL

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:32 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

~Briar Cooper~

She looks perfect...Almost too perfect... He tried not to look like he was staring at her - the hoodie helped. Having to explain why he was doing that was not something he wanted to do; both he and Nat agreed that he was a terrible liar. The girl who had suddenly appeared seemed to be human, but Briar knew that was nothing to g back. If he tried hard enough, he could do the exact same thing. Most likely not as well, if the girl was actually one of his kind rather than a human like she supposedly was.

He wasn't exactly sure what he was looking for. Because he had never truly possessed the ability to create illusions, he didn't have much to go by. He eventually gave up and settled with watching the conversation between Nero and the newcomer.

"It's alright," Nero replied. "My name is Nero Sapienti." He looked around the girl's shoulder and gave María a look that clearly said "Help me." Being the center of her attention seemed to make him uncomfortable; Briar would also be oblivious if he hadn't noticed that, at the very least, Nero had a crush on María. He wasn't sure if it went both ways.

Briar took a shaky step forward. "Um, hi," he awkwardly began. The girl's gaze shifted to him. Almost instinctively, he pulled his hood down just a bit farther. He couldn't let anyone see his face. He didn't want himself to go through whatever would happen after his face was seen, and definitely didn't want to drag Nat down with him. "I'm Briar Cooper. My sister is Natalie Cooper, but I always call her Nat. I'm staying here until she gets better; she's sick with a cold in the infirmary."
mage

queer and here.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:50 pm
View Likes
KaiRyu says...

Washi

Washi gasps for breath as she runs through the forest. She ignores as the briers scratched her arms and legs, she ignores the aching in her feet from sharp rocks slicing them open. Adrenaline forces her to keep going against the odds. Bullets whizzed past her ears, missing her head by inches. The excited yips of dogs were even closer now. Washi scrambles up a rock, lifting up her feet just in time to dodge yet another bullet. She gasped in pain as a searing pain went up her back. They had actually managed to hit her wing. She lost her balance and tumbled head over heels down a rocky hill, sprang right up and kept on running, her arms pumping at her sides. The dogs were closing in on their prey, her . Finally she came upon a small clearing, she glanced back at the forest and almost immediately rammed headfirst into a wall. Washi stumbled back and glanced up, it was a door she had run into. A door with a sign that read "Miss Willow's Home for Abandoned and Forgotten Children." She was quickly upon it, pounding.

"Please, let me in!" She cried out, still banging. "They're dogs are coming, please!" Washi turned her back on the door, for it was clear that no one was coming. She wished that she had been more careful, had not been shot, she could have flown onto the roof right now or at least have summoned some winds to keep the wolfhounds away. Washi straightened her shoulders and snarled, new energy coursing through her. If she was going to go down after 16 years of running, she was going to go down fighting. She crouched down into her fight stance and got out her ice daggers, the frosted blades gleaming. Just daring any wolfhound to threaten her.
Last edited by KaiRyu on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“So what? You're another person so of course you look different. What do you need to be ashamed for?” Ciel Phantomhive

"Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram buy gold bye!" Bill Cipher

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:35 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

María Romero

As much as María truly liked to meet a friendly person, those with explosions for a personality terrified her. Perhaps this was una mala idea after all, to try to come and eat with everyone in Miss Willow's entire orphanage on her very first day.

What was I thinking?

María watched how the newcomer's eyes strayed to Nero again and again, even as the other boy, Briar, attempted to engage her. Her friend gave her a desperate look. She felt rushes of hot and cold running through her, and she coughed once. She didn't feel quite right.

But María still couldn't explain even to herself what she did next.

She grabbed Nero's hand and walked away from the group. "Vamos, Nero," she said as they were still in earshot, in her still heavily-accented English, "Let's get some pizza."

She did not fade.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

69 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:00 pm
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Alix
Alix frowned as the group walked away from her. Rude. Perhaps she would try again. ALix smiled and she turned into a he. Alix was now a rustic boy with tousled brown hair, the same golden eyes, and copper skin. He was wearing a black t-shirt, black skinny jeans, vans, and a flat brimmed hat. He teleported to the main hall where the orphanage was gathering for pizza. Alix sat at his table, usually where the newbies sit. A little while later, the group walked into the main hall and scanned the place to sit. Finally, they honed in on the table Alix was sitting at and went to join him.

"Uh, hello," said the boy, Nero, "Is anyone else sitting here?" Alix shook his head and motioned for him and his group to take a seat.

"No, not at all." Alix studied the group as if for the first time, "Are you all new here?"

"Yes," replied the girl, "This is our first night." Alix tapped into her mind only to see that she was nervous about being her. Poor girl...

"There is no need to be nervous, everyone here is nice," said Alix, leaning forward and putting his chin in his hands.

"What's your name?" asked the boy in the hoodie, his eyes shadowed.

"That isn't important," replied Alix swiftly, "What are all of your names?" The boy looked taken aback for a split second before replying;

"Briar."

"I am Marìa," said the girl, "and that' Nero." Alix nodded and smiled. Suddenly there was a knock at the door and everyone went silent. Miss Willow appeared and strode over to the door. She opened it a crack then flung it open. A girl tumbled through, very scratched up and breathing heavily. Miss Willow shut the doors and locked them then helped the girl up.

"Come with me," she said softly, "The rest of you, continue as you were." The diners turned back to their conversations, occasionally casting a glance over their shoulders. Alix tutted to himself and turned back to his table.

"Newbie," he said, "One more to add. Luckily, this place never runs out of rooms.

"I'm sorry, but have we met you?" asked Nero suddenly. Alix winked at him.

"Possibly. Now I must be off, all you lovelies enjoy your pizza." Then, he disappeared in a flash of glitter.
Will Solace IRL

95 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:09 pm
View Likes
Gymnast2801 says...

Blight Hottle

Still at the doorstep, Blight turned, frightened at the sound of dogs barking. The growling and yiping just kept getting louder. She looked around and saw a beautiful little girl frantically banging on the door, and then to her surprise, take out I've daggers from her pocket.
What one earth? Are these dogs coming for her?
She gulped, and took a step foward, guessing that the little girl just hadn't seen her yet. "Hi--please don't hurt me." She flinched slightly as the little girl's gaze turned towards her. "I'm Blight Hottle, why do you have daggers out?" She spoke quickly, nervous and the barking getting louder in hear ears by the second.

Ester Bishop
She hadn't spoken up since Alix had randomly appeared in the room. She was surprised and caught off guard. But now that her mind was finally back to normal, she smiled, "Hi Alix!" She said, just before Nero and María left. She watched the go, unsure what to do. Stay here and help this boy who seemed nervous, or help Nero and María find the pizza.
And then it hit her. Where was Dan?
She looked around, terrified. He was just a young puppy, quite clumsy and loving, but sometimes too loving for some people. Alix must have scared him when she appeared!
"Um, did anyone see where my dog Dan went?!" She asked, frightened for him now. A puppy running loose in Miss Willow's Home could be a very dangerous thing.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:33 pm
View Likes
KaiRyu says...

Washi

Washi whirled around and saw a girl standing in a now open doorway.

"Why do you have daggers out?" The girl asked. Washi narrowed her eyes, almost believing that it was a trick, until she felt the tell-tale pulse of peculiar energy radiating from the girl.

"Do you not hear the wolfhounds?" She snapped and then pinned her interest back on the dogs. She cried out as the biggest of the dogs leaped onto her. Washi quickly thrust her dagger up into the exposed belly of the hound. She ignored the pain of the scratches that the dog made as more and more dogs bounded out of the safety of the woods. Her brain kicked into overdrive Dodge, slash, block all the moves came quick as she anticipated the moves of her enemy. Finally, when all the wolfhounds were defeated did she even feel her wounds, mutable gouges in her arms and legs, but the only ones worth mentioning were the ones in her neck and in her stomach. Still gasping for breath she collapsed.
Last edited by KaiRyu on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“So what? You're another person so of course you look different. What do you need to be ashamed for?” Ciel Phantomhive

"Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram buy gold bye!" Bill Cipher

95 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:43 pm
View Likes
Gymnast2801 says...

Blight Hottle

"Oh my gosh!" Blight rushed over to the little girl who seemed to be only eight or nine. How could she fight so well at such a young age. Why where the wolfhounds chasing and attacking her?

Blight took the girl in her arms and lifted her up as gently as she could. The little girl was a bit big for Blight to carry, but she stumbled around the bodies of the wolfhounds and took her inside the open doorway. She then let the girl on the floor of the house, not able to hold her anymore. Although Blight was 16 she wasn't the strongest girl in the world, and from the past week of scavenging in order to travel here, Blight had grown skinny and weak.
She looked from the woman she supposed was Miss Willow, to the girl that lay on the floor with blood on her dress and torn skin.
This wasn't what she thought this place would be like at all.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:31 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

~Nero Sapienti~

As they ate their pizza in an awkward silence, he glanced at María, who happened to be sitting next him. He was still shocked by the events out in the hallway. He had never expected her to do something like that; when he had given her the desperate look, he was expecting her to speak up and distract the girl.

But instead she had grabbed his hand and pulled him down the hallway. The blood rushed to his cheeks as he remembered the feeling of their fingers lacing together, and how he hadn't wanted to let go when they finally arrived in the cafeteria.

Trying to distract himself from the feelings he still couldn't understand, his gaze shifted over to Briar - who, Nero noted, was sitting as far away from them as physically possible. He hadn't even taken a bite out of his single pizza slice (which Nero also noticed was the smallest piece when they all went up to get pizza).

"Do you not like the pizza?" he asked. He was on his third slice. He didn't think he was ever offered this much food in his life.

Briar shook his head. "I'm not that hungry."

It was another thing that didn't add up. Briar and his sister had obviously been living on the street for awhile; Nero had too, and he was eating piece after piece of pizza. So why didn't Briar share his appetite?
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:32 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

~Briar Cooper~

He wanted Nat with him.

It didn't feel right to be sitting at the table, pizza slice on his plate, among a group of strangers. He should have been sitting here with Nat. He should have been bringing her plate after plate after plate of pizza because he still couldn't get the memory of being able to see her spine when she lifted up her shirt out of his mind.

Or he should have been in the infirmary. He should have been holding her and reassuring that it was going to be alright even though he was scared he was going to lose her. He should have been making sure they didn't hurt her while trying to treat her. He should have been warning the infirmary staff, if there was staff, of her fear of needles.

But instead he was stuck here, pretending to be something and someone he wasn't. He slipped his hand into his pocket and fiddled with a pocket knife. He had been hoping that they would have let him stay in the infirmary if he went with the lie of them being siblings; he knew normal hospitals had that policy.

However, that wasn't the case.

He distracted himself by thinking of the boy who had disappeared into a cloud of glitter. There was something decidedly familiar about him, but Briar wasn't sure what.

It didn't take long for him to figure out what; one of his best skills was being able to recognize someone from the most miniscule of details. It was a talent he had developed when trying to recognize his kind.

There was several things that gave the boy's identify away. It was the way he had spoken to them. Though his voice was different than before, he put the same stress on various sounds.

He got to his feet.

"Where are you going?" Nero questioned.

"I'm going for a walk," he lied. "I just need to talk to someone who knows this place better than me first."

The answer seemed to satisfy Nero, at least to a certain extent, and Briar made his way over to another table. He tried to look as friendly as possible. "Hi," he said. "Can you please tell me where Alix is, or would usually be right now? I want to talk to them."

It wasn't long before he was pointed in the right direction and found who he was looking for.
mage

queer and here.

69 Reviews

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:21 pm
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Alix
Alix was in his room again. He knew everyone was downstairs eating pizza but she wasn't hungry. He turned to his open door and locked it. Once the deed was done, his brilliant smile melted into a sadder expression. He looked at his wrists and at the scars running up and down them. With the power of makeup, he was able to cover them. At least for a little bit. He took a razor blade out from his dresser and sat on the floor.

"Take this," he muttered to himself. He slashed at his wrists and let the blood fall. When he was done, a line of red, angry cuts lined both wrists. Alix didn't feel any pain. He couldn't feel anything in his wrists anymore. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

"Alix?" A muffled voice called. It was Briar. In a panic, Alix took some bandages from his dresser and started wrapping up his wrists.

"Coming!" he called out. Once he was done, he swiftly threw the razor in the trash can and went to open the door.

"Hello!" he said cheerfully, "How may I help you?"
Will Solace IRL

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:40 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

María Romero

The pizza was good. But it wasn't as tasty as the pizza María and her parents had made from scratch last year, let alone the dishes her mamá made, like her famous paella . . .

María blinked, and found that her eyes were full of tears. Hastily, she swiped at her eyes, checking to make sure Nero hadn't seen her crying. She was afraid, afraid of scaring him off, of losing her new friend.

She wanted to hold his hand again.

¿Qué? Why would I suddenly think of that? María hadn't held any boy's hand since primary school. She shook her head and bit off another mouthful of pizza, but she could feel herself blushing as the memory of his warm hand in hers invaded her mind again and again.

She hoped that Alix stayed away from both of them. Maybe María would be able to figure things out then.

Suddenly, she could feel how tired she was, how heavy her limbs were.

Nero glanced at her. "Um, are you okay? You don't look so good."

Blinking, she brought a hand up to her forehead. "I do feel . . . kind of warm," she replied slowly. I think I have a fever. Maybe that's why I've been having strange delusions about a really nice boy. "I think it would be best if I just went to bed."
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

69 Reviews

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:46 pm
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Miss Willow
Miss Willow swiftly led the girl through the dining room. As they walked, Miss Willow decided it best to keep all conversation minimal until she got to her office. The girl was obviously scared and covered in scratches. They made their way down the hall and into Miss Willow's illustrious office. The interior was black and white and strictly victorian. Once they were inside, Miss Willow shut the door behind them and turned to the girl.

"I am terribly sorry about the hustle," she apologized, "I am Miss Willow, caretaker of these children. What is your name?" The girl didn't respond for a moment, still catching her breath and trying to calm down.

"W-Washi," she replied finally. Miss Willow smiled.

"Well then Washi, we have a lot to talk about," said Miss Willow, "First off, how did you get those injuries? Did the dogs outside bestow them upon you?" The girl nodded shakily.

"I was being chased," she said.

"Well, then. Why don't we have some tea and cookies and we can talk about what's chasing you. And then, we can get you fixed up and properly fed. Does that sound good?" The girl nodded and Miss Willow poured her some tea from the tea set that promptly appeared, floating in mid air. Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Another girl poked her head in.

"Hello, Miss Willow?" she said, "I'm Blight Hottle and I tried to talk to you before-"

"Yes," Miss Willow remembered, "Come in Blight. We have a lot to talk about."
Will Solace IRL

they say money can't buy happiness, but what they don't realize is that money *can* buy novelty socks.
— blueca