Peculiarities: A fantasy storybook

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:52 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Nero Sapienti:

After Miss Willow pointed him in the direction of a spare bedroom that was connected to a bathroom, he located the room and found himself faced with something quite foreign to him: a normal, everyday bathtub. He had heard about them and seen them in store windows while living on the streets, but he had never the chance to experience a bath in one.

He quickly filled the tub once he figured out how to turn the water on and got into the water. He wasted no time is washing the layers of dirt and grime off of his skin with the equally strange soap. Shampoo and conditioner were the next things he had to understand, but a couple of minutes later (involving him ducking his head under the water to get the shampoo out of his eyes several times), he was clean.

Though the water felt refreshing, he rushed to get out and dry off. Pizza was something he had only heard about; supposedly it was very good and fun to eat. He didn't want to miss the opportunity he had been fortunate enough to be presented with.

A smile started to grow.

The entire situation was a strange one. He had never expected to be welcome so kindly, and had never expected to be treated so well. His life, which had once been so full of despair, was now filled with hope.

He had no idea where he was supposed to go for the legendary pizza; he guessed the best thing to do was find Raven, Miss Willow, Ollie, or Esther and ask them for more information. With that in mind, he raced out of his room.

And ran right into someone.

The two of them fell to the ground, neither having expected the other's sudden appearance. Looking up, he smiled when saw who he had the luck of bumping into.

María.

In retrospect, he faintly recognized the hallways Miss Willow had directed him down, and it made sense he would be near her, seeing that the two were both new to Miss Willow's Home for Forgotten and Abandoned Children.

"I'm sorry for running into you," he apologized as he got to his feet. As he watched her do the same, he found himself faced with something he had never experienced before. It was a strange, foreign thing to experience, just like the rest of the day had been.

For some unknown reason, his cheeks were warm.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:15 am
View Likes
Lael says...

María

María could only nod. She couldn't meet Nero's gaze. Thoughts of their previous meeting sent heat shooting up her face and she cringed inwardly at the how close to breaking down in front of him she had been. And he had been nothing but amable to her.

"Are . . . are you okay?" she asked quietly, trying to fill up the silence that had fallen between them. María risked a glance at his face and tried to give him una sonrisa sincera while restraining herself from shifting nervously. She touched one of her aretes to calm herself, to pretend her parents were with her. "I should have watched where I was going."
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:41 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Nero Sapienti:

"I'm fine," he replied. His cheeks were growing red in embarrassment; that had to be why they felt so warm. "I should have been watching where I was going."

He put his hood up. Like always, it made him feel protected and cut off from the rest of world. Which was needed to hide how mortified he was about literally running into her.

Neither one of them spoke. He wanted to breakt the silence somehow, so he said the first thing that came his mind. "There's pizza tonight."

A pause. He blushed even more, staring down at his feet. What was wrong with him? Why was everything so awkward around María? He didn't get it. It didn't make any sense to him at all. María was a person. He could interact with people. Though it was sometimes difficult to do so (especially when mugging someone), nothing compared to interacting with the girl in front of him.

He snuck a glance up at her. "Miss Willow is letting me stay. The room I just came out of is my room." What would her reaction be?
mage

queer and here.

81 Reviews

Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:55 am
View Likes
Lael says...

María

"Oh," said María. Then she mentally kicked herself.

She tried again. "That's--that's, um, fantástico. Uh, I mean, la pizza sounds good. And us living close together." Then she mentally kicked herself again. "I mean, not in an awkward way, but it's nice because we're--we're amigos . . . friends." María forced a laugh and a smile to try to clear up the awkwardness she'd created for herself.

Amigos. Sí. Necesito un amigo. Nero es mi único amigo ahora.

¿Pero seré una buen amiga a él?
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Nero Sapienti:

"I think we should go to the infirmary," he suddenly suggested. His suggestion was met with a look of confusion from María, and he hated how he was making this conversation even more awkward.

After another uncomfortable moment of silence, she pointed out, "Neither of us are hurt."

"Not because we're injured!" he frantically answered. "It's just that I thought Ollie would be there, and she would know where the pizza is. Because I don't. I mean, unless you know. I didn't think you did because we're both new. But maybe you know."

He pulled his hood down even farther. Why did he just shut up already? Every time he spoke, he just continued to make a fool out of himself! If María didn't already see him as an idiot, she certainly did now.

Nero turned his back to her. If he didn't have to look at her, maybe it would be easier to talk? "I think the infirmary's this way," he simply said. He pointed - almost robotically - in the direction they had both originally come from when they had left it what had to be less than an hour before.
mage

queer and here.

81 Reviews

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:36 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

María Romero

"Oh . . . okay," said María, relieved that Nero hadn't seemed to notice how awkward she was at conversation. Or at least, he hadn't said anything.

She followed him back down the hall. She tried to study him, to see his expression, but his face was shrouded by his dark hood, and he didn't look at her either.

Strange. Do all boys act like this?

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:18 pm
View Likes
Gymnast2801 says...

Ester Bishop

Ester was walking along the same hall that Nero and María where walking along. She had Dan, the Great Dane puppy that she had give Nero earlier, in her arms and she was carrying him back to her room.

*BUMP*

Ester staggered back a little, the weight of Dan dragging her down. She look up and saw that she had ran right into Nero who seemed to be walking a bit fast. She blushed, embarrassed, and jumped to her feet. Dan barked, recognizing Nero, and leaped at him, licking his legs and wagging his tail.
"Oh, Nero, sorry about that!" She said, grabbing Dan by his collar. "Dan, sit! You need to calm down some!"
Dan obeyed but his tail was still wagging wildly.
"Again, sorry about Dan. He really likes you. Says your special." She smiled and finally looked away from Dan and to Nero. His hood was pulled over his head and she couldn't quiet make out his face. Then she heard footsteps and María came around the corner. She stopped suddenly and looked around curiously.
"Do you two need anything?" Ester asked, curious at what these two where doing in the hall to the infirmary.
If the world was blind, how many people would you impress?

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:29 pm
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Ollie
Ollie was in her room. She liked it there, it was where she was closest to the earth. She sighed and fell back onto her bed. Her room was like a green house with big windows and plants covering the walls. Exotic trees, vines, flowers, fruit, and any other plant were thriving in her presence. She put a hand over her face and for the first time in several months, she stopped smiling. Her eyes relaxed and her face fell. Being who Ollie was, she was a very optimistic person, always smiling with one part of her body, whether it was her eyes, her mouth, or her actions. But she stopped today.

"Hng," she groaned, rolling over, "Things are light." The plants rustled and a vine came forward and offered her a delicious apple. Ollie took it, her smile strained.

"Thanks," she said to the vine. It rustled it's leaves and wrapped around her midsection. Ollie closed her eyes and let the vines take her. They came in from all directions, wrapping her up like a big burrito and they slowly carried her over the truly enormous oak. It opened up a split in it's trunk big enough for Ollie to fit. The vines lay her inside and the tree wrapped around her, the vines moving in now to frame her face.

Ollie opened her eyes, then closed them again. She was finally at rest, after this long. Her energy was spent and she could do no more. Something about healing the two newcomers had done something... Ollie was now in the tree with plants surrounding her. The plants had her life in their vines and if she was removed, who knows what could happen.

Something strange was happening. Something.... peculiar.
Will Solace IRL

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:25 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Nero Sapienti:

He took several steps away from the dog; he hoped it didn't seem like he was trying to walk away from Ester. "Hi, Ester," he said. He kept his hood up, not wanting María to notice how red his face was getting, and not wanting to have to meet her eyes. "Actually, we do need some help. Miss Willow said that we're having pizza tonight, but neither of us know where we're supposed to go." He gave a sheepish grin underneath his hood. "We were heading to the infirmary because we thought Ollie could help us out. But because we've run into you, would you mind showing us where the pizza is?"
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:21 pm
View Likes
Gymnast2801 says...

Ester Bishop

She smiled, "Sure! It's actually at the other end of the house so I'll come with you to make sure you get there okay. I could also go for some food." She hoped it didn't seem like she would be sitting with them. She wouldn't mind or anything--she was actually quite curious about Nero because Dan kept saying that he was special and needed his protection, but when she asked Dan why, he shut right up.

Ester leaned over to Dan. "You'd better control yourself if I let you go, okay Dan? No going after Nero." Dan nodded and she let go of his collar. He had a big doggie smile on his face, and she could tell how much Dan liked Nero. She just wished Nero had the same feelings about Dan.

"Okay, this way!" Ester started walking the way Nero and Merìa had come, and took a few turns as they walked.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:08 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

~Natalie Cooper~

The sun had nearly finished its day's journey across the sky, having disappeared behind the man-made landscape nearly an hour before. The cold didn't bother Nat; she had long ago grown used to it. She leaned against her companion for support, her legs weak from the constant strain and overuse.

As they neared the small building, her companion pulled the hood to his hoodie – which was always too big on him – down and brought her closer to him. “We're almost there,” he whispered in a soothing voice. She glanced up at the face hidden among the shadows. If she looked close enough, she could see a pair of red eyes peeking out from the darkness, and a fang glinting in the faint streetlights.

“That's good. Do you think they'll let me in?”

“Us,” he corrected. “Us in. I'm not going to leave you out on the doorstep in the cold when you're sick.”

“But they'll find out!” she protested. “And then they'll try hurting you, Briar. This is dangerous enough as it is-” A cough racked her small body.

Though she tried to stop him from doing so, he led her up to the front steps and knocked on the door to Miss Willow's Home for Abandoned and Forgotten Children. “Hello?” he called out. “My friend is sick, and I think the best medicine would be a warm shelter for the next couple of days. If possible, could you spare a room for her?”
mage

queer and here.

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:20 am
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Raven Necromance
Raven opened the door, still a little shaky from her recent trauma. Of course, she was over that by now. She opened the door and saw two people. There was a girl and a boy and the girl was seemingly sick. She was pale and she was leaning heavily on the boy. The boy, actually, when she looked at him closer, she say he wasn't a boy at all. He was a demon.

"How may I help?" she said flatly. Raven was unable to express any emotion at this point. She was too drained. Of course there was a strong underline of fear within her but it was not to surface now.

"Please," the demon spoke, "My sister. She needs-"

"Yes." Raven turned and led them inside, "follow me." She could feel the girl's life force slipping slowly. Raven and her guests passed a lot of bewildered peculiars, sensing the fear of the demon boy.

"I will take you to our healer," she said, her voice devoid of emotion, "Then, we will take you to Miss Willow. She will help you."

"But," started the boy, "What about me?"

"Miss Willow is kind. She will help. And if not, you can stay with me." The demon boy looked uneasy. Sure, Raven was really creepy looking with her pale skin, sunken eyes, and black hair.

"Come," she continued, "This way." She led them up the stairs and down the hall to Ollie's room. Her room was adjoining the infirmary where she spent a lot of her time. Something was off as soon as she stepped inside. There were plants everywhere. Vines covered the walls and flowers were in full bloom. Raven walked faster until she burst into where Olli's actual room was. There was the tree with her inside it. Raven rushed forward and put a hand on the tree.

"Ollie?" she breathed softly, "Ollie what happened to you?" Raven could feel a very fain pulse inside the tree and a voice entered her head.

Raven. Raven almost wept. Ollie was still alive, for now at the least.

"Ollie," she said, "Talk to me. What happened?"

Raven there isn't a lot of me left. Something is wrong here. There is some sort of dark force. When I healed the two newest visitors, something was off. I encased my self in this tree to try and preserve what's left of me. I see you have a sick traveller. Bring her here. Raven wanted to ask more questions, but she did as Tree Ollie instructed. She motioned for the demon boy to come closer.

"Bring her here." The demon boy hesitantly moved forward but he set the girl on the ground. Ollie willed the vines to wrap around the girl's body. Instantly, her posture relaxed and her lines on her face disappeared.

I feel a lot of darkness in her, said Ollie, She will have to be in here for some time. Go find Miss Willow and tell her what you know. Take the demon with you. Raven nodded and turned back to the demon.

"Will she be okay?" he asked. Raven pursed her lips.

"That depends," she said, "Come, we must see Miss Willow."
Will Solace IRL

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

~Briar Cooper~

He didn't like leaving Nat with a seemingly magical tree, but he didn't have any other option. He needed to talk with the woman who ran the establishment in order to secure a place for them to stay until Nat had returned to full health. He pulled his hoodie farther down as they passed groups of children. Where they magical like she was? The young girl he was following didn't appear to be fazed by the magical tree, and he swore that he had seen a child faze out of existence.

Maybe starting a conversation with the girl would be a good way to get his mind off of Nat's condition? "Hi," he awkwardly began. The girl didn't look back. "I never mentioned my name before. I'm Briar Cooper, and my sister's name is Nat - it's short for Cooper." The lie was the one they had always gone by.

"My name is Raven Necromance."

An appropriate name for a girl who looks so pale and deathly...

"It's nice to meet you, Raven." His comment was genuine; the girl was kind enough to let them come inside, despite only knowing that Nat was sick.

They stopped before a door. Feet seemingly as heavy as lead, he followed Raven into the room and found himself standing before a woman. The woman, though sitting, appeared to be taller than him. Her eyes were a beautiful shade of blue, and her skin was pale, as though she didn't often venture outside.

"Please sit down," Miss Willow said. "What's your name, dear boy?"

He complied. "My name is Briar Cooper."

"Now, why have you come here, Briar?"

He bit his lip. It was a nasty habit of his - his sharp fangs always pierced the lip and caused blood to trickle down. He quickly wiped the red droplet with the back of his hand. "My younger sister, Nat, is sick. We've lived on the streets for almost the entirety of our lives. I know that she just has a cold, but we don't have the proper treatment for that and need a place to stay until she gets better. Can you please allow us to stay here until then? She's currently in the infirmary."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:53 pm
View Likes
Gymnast2801 says...

Blight Hottle

Blight stood at the doorstep to this mysterious home, wondering if all her travles had been with this. A flashback of her leaving her parents came to mind but she quickly pushed the image away, not wanting to feel the guilt she always felt now when she thought of them. They hadn't loved her very much, intact they had even been ashamed of her because she was so shy and antisocial.

With a last gulp, Blight rand the doorbell to Miss Willow's Home.

81 Reviews

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:26 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Miss Willow

Miss Willow eyed the boy, feeling that something was off about him. But either way, she would never deny shelter to children in need. She would find out soon enough, she reasoned, who he and his sister really were.

She smiled at Briar. "Why, of course, Mr. Cooper. I will have rooms arranged for you both, but you may stay in the infirmary with Nat for now, if you'd like to be near her."

"Thank you," said the boy, looking very relieved yet still worried.

Miss Willow stood and shook the boy's hand as she heard the doorbell ring. "It was a pleasure meeting you, Briar. If you or your sister ever need anything, I am always here to help you. Go eat now. There's pizza tonight. Raven will show you the way."

As the boy followed Raven out, Miss Willow went to check the door.

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
— Jules de Gaultier